Teach me how to trim my own hair today...PLEASE!

lana

Can someone out there give me some tips on trimming my own hair? I'm texlaxed and I wear it straight most of the time (with curls). Anyways I need a trim, I'm past due and I can tell! (laughs)

I'm buying new scissors from Ulta today and I am going home to wash, deep condition and straighten and then (drumroll) I will trim my own hair.

I have layers and I'm collar bone length. The back is doing fine, but everything from the top of my ears down has thin ends that need to be snipped off. About 1/2 an inch or LESS. So how do I do this?

Anybody?

wheezy807

I wanna know too. I did a search but came up empty handed. I went to the " Newbie Guide to starting out-Dontspeakdefeat's fotki. But i guess the self trimmin section was outdated. It said that it no longer existed. I already claimed,"self trimmer 2007". So all i need is some guidance, too. Thank for starting this thread.

lana

wheezy807 said:
I wanna know too. I did a search but came up empty handed. I went to the " Newbie Guide to starting out-Dontspeakdefeat's fotki. But i guess the self trimmin section was outdated. It said that it no longer existed. I already claimed,"self trimmer 2007". So all i need is some guidance, too. Thank for starting this thread.

See Wheezy you know what I'm saying. Now does anyone know how to help us? (laughs)

I need to know specifically how to cut the back middle and is there anything I can do about these layers? Should I just NOT trim them since I'm trying to get my hair all even? What about the thin ends on the layers? Leave em? Cut em?

angellazette

^^^

Thanks for mentioning that method. I did a search and here it is:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

I wish I would've known about this, I did a trim and basically butchered my hair :lol: No more trims anytime soon, but I'll be sure to reference that website next time I do!

ETA:
Since my hair is in layers, I'll probably start off like she does:

Part hair down middle
Take longest layer (bottom layer) and section that off
Cut with her method

Then move on to each layer, repeating the steps above

Last edited:

lana

Well I did it. I trimmed my hair this weekend. I made sure to get it bone straight first and then I sectioned it off starting at the back and working my way up to the crown and bangs. Then I combed it all out and did it over again. I only cut off less than a half inch like an eyelash of length all over. My hair is smoother and looks better. I didn't find many split ends at all, but I did run into uneven hair in the back middle.

I decided NOT to trim the uneven hair to even it up. Why? Because I'm growing out my layers and the ends were not split. I will trim that the next time around, but for now that part of my hair is being left alone to grow.

amara11

angellazette said:
^^^

I wish I would've known about this, I did a trim and basically butchered my hair :lol: No more trims anytime soon, but I'll be sure to reference that website next time I do!

ETA:

Part hair down middle
Cut with her method

EXCELLENT resource! Perhaps this one should be "stickied"....

angellazette said:
^^^

ETA:

Part hair down middle
Cut with her method

For my layers I do a combination of Feyes and also a compact cut. I part my hair from ear to ear and do a compact cut like the link below on the first/front half of my hair:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1561.html

Only difference is that my hair is lined up horozontially vs vertically. I cut left to right (ear to ear) vs front to back - Hope this makes sense.

Then, to trim my longest layer - I use Feyes method with my second half (back) of hair.

By compacting the first half of my hair, it allows the layers in my 2nd half to grow out while gradually shaping the first half of my hair.

Last edited:

lana

Okay, I went back over my hair to make sure that I had trimmed properly and I've found a great method for those with layers. First I flipped my hair with a flat iron (Sedu) so that it looked like a regular layered flip style. This allowed me to see all of my ends clearly! It was amazing! I could see where I had trimmed properly and the spots that I missed.

I did a little corrective trimming and now I have thick ends and shaky hair! It's amazing! I can't say that enough.

Also I took the hair from my ears and above and trimmed it evenly because I'm letting my layers grow out. Now I have two layers, the bottom and the top instead of 5 different layered rows.

I'm loving it! Sharp scissors work the best!

Now no more trims until I really need it.

lana

Hey you guys my ends are kinda dry. I need a touch up (texlax) and I think that's when I'll decide if it's time to trim again or not. It's just a half inch that feels dry.

What do you think? Any self trimmers out there with suggestions on when to trim?

lana

caribeandiva said:
great thread. i was wondering the same thing.

Well I really hope some of the ladies with the "know how" will respond. I'm going to texlax my hair on Friday (touch up) and I just need to know if I should trim it after that or what? I'm confused, do dry ends mean get a trim or moisturize???

MzOptimistic

angellazette said:
^^^

ETA:

Part hair down middle
Cut with her method

I used that^^^^^ website to trim my ends. It wasn't planned. I had an interview to go too and I rollerset/wrapped my hair and when I combed the wrap out, my ends were so uneven, which made the wrap look horrible....so I put my hair into two ponytail and snipped the ends and I did a good job too:D being that it was my first time:)