Any Relaxed Ladies do Bantu Knots, Twist Outs or Braid Outs?

pearlygurl

I would really like to try different styles for my hair other than rollersetting. More importantly, I am looking for low maintenance styles that will cut down on using heat on my hair. Could any of you relaxed ladies share your expereinces/likes/dislikes experimenting with these different styles? TIA :)

I used to get twistouts on my relaxed hair back in high school when I went to the salon every week. I was growing out a shorter cut and it was an easy style to maintain. They used to take forever to dry under the dryer though.

I used to do mine on Dry hair...
I wasnt using the right products and my hair ALWAYS looked poofy when I did those styles on wet hair.. Ive had more luck as of late..

you have got to experiment with products to make sure you get the set you want.. but other that that, Im all for all those styles, especially the braidout... Helps with no direct heat :) and GREAT for stretching :D

Hi. Braidouts have been my main hairdo all summer. I make box braids on wet hair and use Wildgrowth and a little setting and mousse.

I been workin a 7 plait braidout since im on a no heat challenge and I love it. I use a creamy leave in w water and setting gel,and wgro. I love it and it looks very natural.;)

bmoreflyygirl said:
I used to get twistouts on my relaxed hair back in high school when I went to the salon every week. I was growing out a shorter cut and it was an easy style to maintain. They used to take forever to dry under the dryer though.

Thanks, I'll look into twistouts :)

KhandiB said:
I used to do mine on Dry hair...
I wasnt using the right products and my hair ALWAYS looked poofy when I did those styles on wet hair.. Ive had more luck as of late..

you have got to experiment with products to make sure you get the set you want.. but other that that, Im all for all those styles, especially the braidout... Helps with no direct heat :) and GREAT for stretching :D

I was thinking about trying these styles on dry hair but now I'll make sure its wet :)

I just started to braidout/twistout a couple of weeks ago, and I am loving it. I've done one twistout, and two braidouts so far. I think I like twistouts better.

After washing and conditioning, I put in NTM Silk Touch and I sprayed with diluted Lottabody. I am not good at flat twisting or french braiding, so I did as many as I could down the side of my head, and the rest of my head had single twists or braids. I let mines air dry. Then when I take them out, I give them some shine with PM pommade or Biosilk.

That night, I put Protectiv Break Free on my ends, put on a satin bonnet, and go to bed. When I get up, I bend over and just kind of rub my hands wildly over my hair, I put on more Silk Touch, and more Biosilk or pommade if I need more shine. That's it. Such an easy job in the morning. The longest that I've worn it has been 3 or 4 days. I could wear it longer if I retwisted or rebraided at night. But who wants to do all of that, when I can just moisturize and put on a bonnet!!!!! :D

Undefeated Queen said:
Hi. Braidouts have been my main hairdo all summer. I make box braids on wet hair and use Wildgrowth and a little setting and mousse.

Is that a braidout in your avatar? If so, it's so pretty :yep: That's on of the looks I'm going for :)

leleepop said:
I been workin a 7 plait braidout since im on a no heat challenge and I love it. I use a creamy leave in w water and setting gel,and wgro. I love it and it looks very natural.;)

I'll look in to using some of the products you suggested :)

I did a braid out a few weeks ago.
After washing my hair I just put some leave-in and corn-rowed about six braids (it was a little difficult because I did not want to tangle the wet hair too much).
I put a few rollers on the ends of the braids and sat under the dryer to help it dry a little faster.
The next morning I took them down and finger combed, it came out very good and I got lots of compliments.
The only thing is that my hair looked half it's normal length (yes half). I didn't mind that because I am on the don't show your real length til Xmas challenge, so I was able to wear my hair out without cheating:)

Since am about 6 or 7 months post, i have been sporting bantu knot outs. After I wash my hair I put my leave-in and oils and then I put all my hair into bantu knots. I wear the knots for a day so they can dry then for the next two to three days I wear them out. I look like I have a afro full of spirl curls. I love it, no combing no brushing just pick the curls out with my fingures and a little oil and am on my way.

I've been doing my braidouts (making 4 plaits) the last 3 years on dry hair, after rollersetting to airdry. There's a lot less shrinkage this way, I don't use a setting lotion or anything extra to make my braidouts, the sealed in moisture from my leave-in and oils when rollersetting creates pretty waves when I take the braids out. I love it!

Isis said:
I've been doing my braidouts (making 4 plaits) the last 3 years on dry hair, after rollersetting to airdry. There's a lot less shrinkage this way, I don't use a setting lotion or anything extra to make my braidouts, the sealed in moisture from my leave-in and oils when rollersetting creates pretty waves when I take the braids out. I love it!

Thanks...your hair is beautiful :love: by the way!

I used to do braidouts on wet hair with about 7-8 cornrows going straight back with small perm rods on the ends. I now do wash and gos for a curly look. I haven't masterd bantu knots yet, mine always look a mess.

I do bantu knots on wet hair post-conditioning.
Usually I use Salerm 21 or NTM silk touch leave-in mixed with a little NTM healing shine serum. I airdry and then pick out with my fingers.

I can't braid so I can only do bantu knots. I do them on dry hair. I put my garnier fructis sleek and shine leave in adn seal with oil. Then do the knots and hold in place with the open hair pins. Good luck!!!!!!

I just did my first twist-out. I've been wearing it for 3 days and I love it. After washing, I put in some Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine leave-in, some Fantasia IC gel w/sparkle lites, some carrot oil and Fructis Sleek n Shine serum. Then I put in about 8-10 twists around my head. I can 't do flat twists so they were single twists. I rolled them up and sat under the dryer for about an hour and a half to mostly dry them. I let them airdry the rest of the way. All I did to style was pull each twist apart and style with my fingers. At night, I rewet, retwist and roll. It's looked very fresh every day and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.

buttafly said:
I used to do braidouts on wet hair with about 7-8 cornrows going straight back with small perm rods on the ends. I now do wash and gos for a curly look. I haven't masterd bantu knots yet, mine always look a mess.
Are you wearing a wash and go in your avatar? It's very pretty!:)

Back