What products are you using on your Braid-Outs/Twist-Outs?

What products are u using on your braid out/twist out?

• Just water

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Setting foam/mousse

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Wet Spray (Leave in conditioner, S-curl, etc)

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Butter or Creme (Shea butter, mango butter, Miss Jessies, Whipped Pudding, etc)

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Gel

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Grease

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imani

What products are u using for your braid outs/twist outs? Are you relaxed, natural or transitioning?

I'm transitioning (1 year post) and I would like to experiment with braid outs and twist outs. I know a lot of it is just going to be trial and error. But I was curious to know what products everyone is using on their hair. I know some people combine products (ie. a creme and a gel), so u can select more than one option on the poll.

TIA!

Last edited:

Jazzlyric

Funny you should start this thread. I just did my best braidout ever this weekend . I was seriously about to give up on my hair . I used less products and I think that is the key for me. I think I am transitioning :spinning:. I used NTM frizz cream and a tiny bit of sweet almond oil on wet hair . Here's a pic :

davisbr88

I use a creamy product like Bee Hold Curly Butter for a softer set, and a gel like IC for a more defined and controlled set.

SN: Your hair in your avi looks like it's grown so much! Congrats, transitioning buddy!

Kiki0130

I voted "Other" because lately I've been using Skala
Shea Butter or Fruit Cocktail Conditioning Treatment
Masques. They leave my twists/braids nice and soft and
shiny (for my 4a/b hair)

When I take the twists/braids out, they're still soft
but defined and not frizzy, unless I've done a co-wash.

My 11-year-old son likes to smush his face in my hair
when he sees my hair out. He's the only one I allow
in my hair like that hahaha. He should know that a
Black woman's hair can and should feel and smell good lol.

Last edited:

chebaby

i did a twist out last night and i used kbb hair milk and hairveda whipped gelly. it is my best twist out ever.

on a recent braid out i used kbb hair milk and miss jessies curly meringue and i loved it.

tricie

I use water, EcoStyler gel (clear and sometimes brown), and Cantu shea butter leave in...I will probably rotate an oil in as well next time.

Imani

Funny you should start this thread. I just did my best braidout ever this weekend . I was seriously about to give up on my hair . I used less products and I think that is the key for me. I think I am transitioning :spinning:. I used NTM frizz cream and a tiny bit of sweet almond oil on wet hair . Here's a pic :

turned out really pretty!

BeetleBug

I use Hairveda's Whipped Jelly for soft, defined twist outs. I don't know what it is about this product but I can't duplicate my twist outs w/ other products.

southerncitygirl

a mix of products by afroveda:

curl define (hair cream)
whipped gelly (a gel for hold)

i mix 3-4 parts gel to 1-2 parts butter and my twistouts last at least 5 days. if there's any extra of my mix left it can be refridgerated. my hair is very soft but yet it has a slight hold if that makes sense.

beautyaddict1913

I moisturize my hair with kbb hair milk, seal with coconut oil and use donna marie lock and twist pudding...this is my fave because it makes my hair feel moisturized as well....i like experimeting and I have also found that Curls Goddess Curl Gel or Curl Junkie CoCo Curl Cream works fab as well....I need to get off of here before I take my weave down and play in hair products lol

Imani

I use a creamy product like Bee Hold Curly Butter for a softer set, and a gel like IC for a more defined and controlled set.

SN: Your hair in your avi looks like it's grown so much! Congrats, transitioning buddy!

Girl, that is just the angle I am holding my head at. :lachen: It hasn't grown really grown very much. I updated my fotki with pics from when I took out my kinky twists out.

darlingdiva

It depends on the season.

In the winter & fall:

-Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream + KBB Hair Oil (twistouts on wet hair)

-Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In + Hairveda's Almond Glaze (twistouts & braidouts on dry hair)

In the spring & summer:

**I've been blowdrying this spring & summer, so I have been using Darcy's Botanical Curl Detangling Milk & Opal Hue's Honey Love Pomade before I blowdry. Then I've been applying a little of the pomade + Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine to my fingers before I twist.

For styles on dry hair, I've been using Dax Super Light Pomade (the blue grease).

Imani

So I was playin around with my hair for a little bit the other day and kinda halfway did a braid out. i used miss jessies baby buttercreme and a little bit of ORS lock and twist gel. it looked and felt good at first but later I realized that I used way too much of the Miss Jessies and my hair was way too soft and had no hold to it at all.

Now I know when I try it again, I know I need to use more product with hold to it. And my relaxed ends are going to really need some type of setting lotion or foam to hold the curls at the end (I used perm rods)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i do it two different ways:

-i use a moisturizer and then a gel for hold, usually Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and Ecostyler or Fantasia.
-i use a setting foam, either Proclaim or Keracare.

I prefer the second way, because it's just easier to apply one product and be done with it. :yep:

westNDNbeauty

I think a good addition to this thread would be to ask how long the style lasts with the products you use.

I religiously use Lottabody setting lotion and my braid n' curls last 5-10 days. Nice, shiny, smooth, soft curls.

I just recently tried another cream based moisturizer and it was POOF CITY after the first day. This usually happens with all products I use other than Lottabody.

Last edited:

Missjae09

This is definitely a successful braidout!

Missjae09

How long does it last?

i do it two different ways:

-i use a moisturizer and then a gel for hold, usually Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and Ecostyler or Fantasia.
-i use a setting foam, either Proclaim or Keracare.

I prefer the second way, because it's just easier to apply one product and be done with it. :yep:

Missjae09

I have tried eco style gel, ors twist and loc gel, and styling foam. it always comes out nicely on the first day but it doesn't last :sad:

LovingLady

I use a diluted version of Giovanni's as Smooth as Silk Conditioner. The twist out will last me for about 3 days.

frizzy

I'm relaxed and I use Suave coconut conditioner, castor oil and/or shea butter. I saturate my hair with the conditioner and oil while the hair is wet, then twist.

Imani

I think a good addition to this thread would be to ask how long the style lasts with the products you use.

I religiously use Lottabody setting lotion and my braid n' curls last 5-10 days. Nice, shiny, smooth, soft curls.

I just recently tried another cream based moisturizer and it was POOF CITY after the first day. This usually happens with all products I use other than Lottabody.

I think I got some lotta body stashed away in my many tubs of products. may have to try this. When I was playing around with mostly just the Miss Jessie's Babybuttercreme, my hair was so soft, it went poof the very next day.

Imani

I have tried eco style gel, ors twist and loc gel, and styling foam. it always comes out nicely on the first day but it doesn't last :sad:

what kind of foam were you using? It seems like foam would make it hold

Thinking back on my relaxed days, to get a really good hold I'd have to use both a foam and a setting lotion.

Missjae09

I used luster's renutrients styling mousse... I'm going to try it again soon

what kind of foam were you using? It seems like foam would make it hold

Thinking back on my relaxed days, to get a really good hold I'd have to use both a foam and a setting lotion.