Braid-Out for Relaxed hair.....

joytimes10

Here's my recent attempt at a braidout 03.15.09

Last edited:

ajoyfuljoy

Is anyone not braiding to the scalp and still achieving maximum results? I would love to do one but i cant braid it going straight back like that..

I use silicon mix leave in and olive oil. I braid like pigtails. The top ends up being a little flat, but it is still cute.

I do two at the bottom of my head.

four around the middle.

And five around the top. I wrap the last six inches or so in rods.

Here is how they turn out for me. I'm rocking one right now!

Check out my fotki for 2008. For some reason, I can't get in there right now.

taz007

Here was my attempt at a braid out last week:

I used Chinablk's youtube step by step tutorial. I hope to get a little better at it with more practice.

keysha1983

TAZ007 Your hair is beautiful! I need to try the braidout.
I tried pin culing my hair yesterday and the results were horrible. When my hair starts to dry it begins to pouf and curl( and I have relaxed hair). I aired my hair last night around 9pm and my hair is still moist! I am going to watch the video though. Thanks!

taz007

^^^ Thank you Keysha. My first attempt was so not good :nono:. Thank god that I didn't have to go anywhere that day!

Chinablk's tutorial was so very easy and used only 6 braids. Good luck and I wanna see pics!

so...are most people air-drying these or sitting under the dryer. Which gives you the best results. I tried this months ago, airdrying and it came out horrible -im wondering if it makes a difference if i use heat.

taz007

I air dried in my attempt. I found that that I got better results if I use minimal product (this is key) and used satin rollers on the ends.

keysha1983

Can I achieve the same look with chin length hair as well? I was told that I could not do a braidout because my hair is chin length? I am tired of the flat iron. :(

MummysGirl

You can achieve the same look with chin length hair, you probably have to do one or two extra braids, if at all. I am between SL and APL and I do 5-6 cornrows... I'd say you should do 6-7...

Can I achieve the same look with chin length hair as well? I was told that I could not do a braidout because my hair is chin length? I am tired of the flat iron. :(

Last edited:

MummysGirl

I've done a lot of braidouts and they have all been on airdried hair, my hair is about 80% dry... I apply only my leave in to my hair for it to airdry. Then I apply my moisturiser to each section before doing my cornrows (on 80% dry hair)
so...are most people air-drying these or sitting under the dryer. Which gives you the best results. I tried this months ago, airdrying and it came out horrible -im wondering if it makes a difference if i use heat.

kiarai

I have hair a little shorter then yours and have just done a braid out. It doesnt look as good as I would have hoped but I'll take some pictures when I get home from work.

I think I'll need to do a braid right across my nape area because this is the shortest and it hasnt held the curls

Last edited:

keysha1983

I was afraid that a braidout may not look good on our length. I will give it a try though. Maybe I will post pics as humor. I tried a pin curl last night, and OH MY, it was a hot mess!

kiarai

Really stupid question but is it a good idea to use foam wrap lotion on your hair when doing a braid out.

I dont really know what to do with foam wrap lotion as I dont actually use it. Is this the kind of thing its used for?

LushLox

Siggy pic an avatar is the result of a twist out. I couldn't wear it out like that as it looked odd, but I will pull my hair into a loose bun. Hopefully once I'm x post relaxer it'll look better.

I think the key is the leave in products you use.

ETA: Apologies, OP was asking about braid-outs. Never tried that, not sure whether it would work for me...

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Does anyone know where Macherieamour braid out tutorial is? I know that sylver has one too...wonder if it'll work on naturals who press? If you have the link to Macherieamour please share. I looked on youtube and didn't see it.

RosesBlack

I'm going to try it tonight. I'm going to Nascar races tomorrow and I want something easy and nice. I just went on youtube and there was a young lady how did plaits and after plaiting she did bantu knots with the plaits. Here hair came out really pretty. I hope mine will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXZzW2UJVo

My hair is a little longer than that but I think I'm going to try that method. I can't cornrow or do flat twists to save my life thanks for posting the link.