Another Karishma Herbal Henna User...Best Henna I've Ever Used

Muse

I haven't tried the Karishma Henna yet but I'm thinking this is a well balanced mixture as well.

I have not been able to balance using my Ayurveda powders, so hopefully this henna will have the perfect blend for me.

ITA with the bolded. It can be such a guessing game when you have a bunch of powders. I am forever trying to simplify my regimen and I'm finding it hard to do the other powders and henna and still keep it simple. I really hope Karishma works for me so that I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Then I can enjoy the benefits of henna AND the other powders all in one. It already has 2 of the 3 powders that I use separately.

It's gonna be about a week before I place my order (got side tracked with the Qhemet sale) but when I try it I will report back. Can't wait to see how it compares to Jamila!

natstar

I replied to this thread a while ago- but I have to come back in- I'm natural and I love Karishma Henna- It's soooo good. My hair feels stronger, softer, shinier and is not brittle. It's really good stuff for a great price.

Jetblackhair

ITA with the bolded. It can be such a guessing game when you have a bunch of powders. I am forever trying to simplify my regimen and I'm finding it hard to do the other powders and henna and still keep it simple. I really hope Karishma works for me so that I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Then I can enjoy the benefits of henna AND the other powders all in one. It already has 2 of the 3 powders that I use separately.

It's gonna be about a week before I place my order (got side tracked with the Qhemet sale) but when I try it I will report back. Can't wait to see how it compares to Jamila!

Exactly, I'm trying to have a KISS regimen too. I'm waiting for my Indigo to arrive before I use my Karishma.

Oh, you bought some Qhemet goodies, enjoy!!

HERicane10

I started as a die-hard Karishma user ......and STILL love it!:drunk: But its harder for me to find here, so now I use the Reshma herbal blend .....LOVE it just as much as Karishma. Plus it get 200gm for 2.99, that equals about 3-4 full applications for me and maybe a henna gloss for DD #1.:yep:

I henna weekly for 2-4 hours and love the thickness, "relaxed" new growth, less breakage, and softness.

Muse

I replied to this thread a while ago- but I have to come back in- I'm natural and I love Karishma Henna- It's soooo good. My hair feels stronger, softer, shinier and is not brittle. It's really good stuff for a great price.

Great I was wondering how Karishma was on natural hair. I am even more excited now! Have you tried other brands of henna, like Jamila? If so what did the others do to your hair that made them inferior for you?

Exactly, I'm trying to have a KISS regimen too. I'm waiting for my Indigo to arrive before I use my Karishma.

Oh, you bought some Qhemet goodies, enjoy!!

Thanks! I can't wait!!!

Coffee

I wanted to order from Ruchita, but couldn't get with the $14.20 she wanted for priority shipping for 6 boxes:nono:. I was in San Diego last week, while I wasn't able to find any Karishma Herbal Henna , I did find a brand called Shilpa herbal henna, that includes a extra herbal pack to put in the henna. I also got another brand called Herbal plus, both include amla, shikakai, brahmi, katha and chandan. I'm going to use one on Wednesday and I'll report back on how it works for me. I also picked up the following:

Bio Amla Shampoo
Ancient Shikakai hair oil
Ancient Perfumed Coconut oil
2 Boxes of Hesh Maka powder

I used the Amla poo tonight and it's a keeper for me.

Muse

I wanted to order from Ruchita, but couldn't get with the $14.20 she wanted for priority shipping for 6 boxes:nono:. I was in San Diego last week, while I wasn't able to find any Karishma Herbal Henna , I did find a brand called Shilpa herbal henna, that includes a extra herbal pack to put in the henna. I also got another brand called Herbal plus, both include amla, shikakai, brahmi, katha and chandan. I'm going to use one on Wednesday and I'll report back on how it works for me. I also picked up the following:

Bio Amla Shampoo
Ancient Shikakai hair oil
Ancient Perfumed Coconut oil
2 Boxes of Hesh Maka powder

I used the Amla poo tonight and it's a keeper for me.

Wow that's a lot for 6 boxes! I ordered four boxes of Hesh powders last time and shipping quoted was half of what you were quoted. Strange. Yes please report back on how that henna you found works.

With Jamila it takes 150g to get good coverage-that's 2 boxes of Jamila. I like the fact that Karishma already comes in 150g packs. That's perfect for me.

Muse

I put my order in for Karishma henna from Ruchita yesterday. Hopefully I will get it by next weekend when I am ready to henna again. I also broke down and ordered 200g of Jamila BAQ henna. I am currently using hair quality Jamila and didn't think it would be fair to compare Kairshma-which is BAQ-to hair quality Jamila. So which ever comes first I will try. I hope the Karishma does better though because like I said before it already has the other powders mixed in which is a plus.

SelahOco

Quick question: Do you all henna weekly (I see that some do) and does this replace a step in your reggi (i.e. DCing) or do you add it to your reggi?

Muse

Quick question: Do you all henna weekly (I see that some do) and does this replace a step in your reggi (i.e. DCing) or do you add it to your reggi?

I do it weekly ( I have done it 3xs so far). For me it has replaced reconstructors/heavy protein treatments. The only protein I use now is whatever's in my conditioner. Since I have mostly natural hair on my head I don't feel the need for heavy protein AND henna because henna is doing a fine job of strengthening on its own. After I get my hair in optimal shape with weekly henna I plan on backing off to every other week then eventually once a month to maintain.

Cassandra1975

I just got my Karishma in the mail today from Ruchita (along with some other things I ordered). I am going to try this on Sunday. I need to go back and re-read so I can figure out how to mix this and do it properly. I will probably sit under the dryer, because I don't want to leave it in overnight.

joytimes10

I went to an Indian grocery that I'd been wanting to try after reading this thread. They had the Karishma for $2.99. I won't have time to try it until Thurs. night but I'll be back to report; I'm texlaxed and 2 months post relaxer. I'm hoping for a good 4-6 month stretch. My last stretch resulted in lots of breakage so I'm hoping that the henna will add some much needed strenght to my strands for when I get into the later months of this stretch.

AllieCat0817

For the longest time I used Yemeni henna from mehandi.com. Then I tried Reshma then Karishma. I must say the color I get (specifically gray coverage) from Yemen henna is severely lacking compared to the awesome beautiful auburn from the Reshma or Karishma. I'm convinced. Tryna use up the last of my Yemen. The coloring does not compare.

Cassandra1975

For the longest time I used Yemeni henna from mehandi.com. Then I tried Reshma then Karishma. I must say the color I get (specifically gray coverage) from Yemen henna is severely lacking compared to the awesome beautiful auburn from the Reshma or Karishma. I'm convinced. Tryna use up the last of my Yemen. The coloring does not compare.
This is good to hear. I'm sick of these grays at my temples, and I'd like to strengthen my hair line.

I won't have time to try the Karishma until Sunday morning. I need to go back through this thread and others so I can figure out the best way for me to prep the henna and how long I"m going to leave it on.

HERicane10

Looking for an auburn color to my dark hair. Will the karishma work?

If you've indigo'd it will only be noticeable in sunlight. But my DD had GOR-G-US merlot-colored hair with Karishma and similar with Reshma. I loooove both these brands and they're both finely sifted. :yep:

HERicane10

This is good to hear. I'm sick of these grays at my temples, and I'd like to strengthen my hair line.

I won't have time to try the Karishma until Sunday morning. I need to go back through this thread and others so I can figure out the best way for me to prep the henna and how long I"m going to leave it on.

An Indian beautician at a market in Memphis said atleast 4 hours. :look: She was awesome, she started telling me about all sorts of things. She was like don't shampoo after it; just put on coconut oil. Then she said grind up fenugreek seeds and water and put on scalp before shampooing. She answered every question I could think of. :yep:

The minimum I do is 2-2.5 hours and the most is overnight.:look::yep:

AllieCat0817

Hi Cassandra,
It will make those grays a beautiful auburn color that gets richer with every application. And it will make your regular dark hairs a very rich deep color. My barber always comments on how deep and dark my hair is looking these days. In the sunlight I can see a deep auburn color to all the hairs. In regular indoor lighting I can see the deep auburn on the strands that I know are grays, which really stands out nicely. Henna is one of the best things I've done.

I prep my Karishma the same way I do the others although others have said they only let their Karishma sit for an hour before applying. Personally I want the most dye release possible so I let my Karishma/Reshma sit 8 hours or so. This is what I do. I dont add any oils or conditioners to my mix (OR HONEY) because I want the most dye uptake possible. I have read that honey WILL block some of the color uptake although I have seen debates on it. I rather not chance it. The Karishma (& Reshma) does not make my hair hard or dry.. I always rinse out with LOADS of conditioner repeating the conditioner wash over and over many many times in the shower.

1) Steep 4 bags of green tea (I use Whole Foods brand organic bags, box of 80 bags for cheap) in 2 cups hot water (I use a large Pyrex measuring cup). I have even let mine steep overnight (letting the bags remain in the water). I use green tea instead of lemon... green tea is also acidic but apparently less drying than the lemon (got the idea from curlynikki and others). The next morning I'll squeeze all the liquid out of the bags into the Pyrex cup along with the tea.
2) Dump the henna in a large glass bowl and pour the tea in a little at a time, mixing as I go along. When it reaches the consistency between yogurt and mashed potatoes, I don't add any more liquid but continue to mix/stir well
3) Cover with saran wrap, tightly and leave it on the kitchen counter while I go to work (it will sit from 6am till around 4 or 5pm when I'm ready to apply). Also I hear that letting it sit in the warm house (since our AC goes up to 79 or 80 during the day) helps with the dye release.
4) When I get home, I shampoo with Kenra Clarifying and rinse, then rinse with Suave strawberry conditioner (not a very rich conditioner but still I want a little conditioner run through it so as not to be so dry, to make henna application a little easier). I have also applied the henna after clarifying without conditioning. Towel dry with a microfiber towel. I put on my 'henna shirt'.. the old night shirt i wear around the house while I have henna in it. That way if it stains it who cares, its my henna night shirt.
5) I prefer to detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb but too scared to do it without conditioner in so I try to detangle as much as possible with my fingers
6) Cover bathroom counter and floor with towels, wear latex gloves. Have your plastic cap, small towel for your head, and rubber band handy
7) Apply the henna. I just slap it on with my gloved hands and try to rake through as much as possible with my fingers. I prefer to comb it through but its just not possible. I apply ALOT, esp to the gray patch areas
8) Remove gloves and put in the sink, wipe up any henna from my face/neck (or wherever else) with a wet paper towel and put on disposable plastic cap
9) Cover plastic capped head with a small towel and secure the towel 'ponytail' with a rubber band
10) Wipe up any henna that may have gotten on your counters/floors immediately. I discard the gloves/paper towels in a tied up plastic bag cuz it is stank. I immediately place the counter and floor towels in my laundry room sink (I dont mix it with my regular laundry)

I let it stay on for about 3-4 hours. Never less than 3 hours. I've done it as long as 9-12 hours but dont feel that long is necessary anymore since my hair has a great henna base from doing it so much.

I find that I have to repeat this every 2 weeks or else new growth gray starts appearing, especially since starting my Chlorella supplement. I can not STAND to see ANY gray new growth so I do it often. I have done it weekly too, no problem. I have sat under the dryer with the plastic cap on only a few times for about 20 min.. doesn't seem to matter.

After at least 3-4 hours I remove the towel and carefully remove the plastic cap (and put it in the tied up plastic bag in the laundry room trash can). I remove the nightshirt and put the towel and nightshirt in the wash immediately along with the countertop and floor towels. That way all my henna stuff is washed together at the same time by itself.

In the shower I rinse ALOTT of times with Suave Strawberry conditioner (I love that stuff). I will 'shampoo' my hair with the conditioner and rinse like 5 times or more. Once I feel like I've gotten out as much as possible I apply a moisturizing thick conditioner (like Aussie Deep or Lustrasilk Cholesterol) and let it sit while I handle my shower bidness. I rinse it out, and apply loads of leave ins (Paul Mitchell The conditioner plus KBB Hair Nectar). I will add some Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose and tie it up with my silk scarf and go to sleep. I know that not all of the henna is 100% rinsed out because my hair scarf will be stained the next morning (I'm able to wash it out in the washer on hand wash cycle using detergent plus Biz or Oxy). My hair will not be rinsing clean from the henna for another day or so. I will do a several-hour deep condition within the next 2 days using either Hairveda Sitrinillah or SheScentIt Banana Brulee or something.

Cassandra1975

An Indian beautician at a market in Memphis said atleast 4 hours. :look: She was awesome, she started telling me about all sorts of things. She was like don't shampoo after it; just put on coconut oil. Then she said grind up fenugreek seeds and water and put on scalp before shampooing. She answered every question I could think of. :yep:

The minimum I do is 2-2.5 hours and the most is overnight.:look::yep:
Thanks for the info!

Hmmm...I could probably do 4 hours. I guess I need to mix the night before and let the color release, and put it on in the morning. I assume that's 4 hours without heat?

I just got a gallon bucket of Coconut oil from Mountain Rose herbs, so I would have no problem with that part. :lachen:

Do you shampoo the night before? Or right before? And are you applying to damp or dry hair?

AllieCat0817

Oh yeah, I dont shampoo it out, only loads of conditioner repeated over and over. I will wait at least 48 hrs to shampoo and even then not a clarifying shampoo, but a moisturizing one.

Cassandra1975

Hi Cassandra,
It will make those grays a beautiful auburn color that gets richer with every application. And it will make your regular dark hairs a very rich deep color. My barber always comments on how deep and dark my hair is looking these days. In the sunlight I can see a deep auburn color to all the hairs. In regular indoor lighting I can see the deep auburn on the strands that I know are grays, which really stands out nicely. Henna is one of the best things I've done.

I prep my Karishma the same way I do the others although others have said they only let their Karishma sit for an hour before applying. Personally I want the most dye release possible so I let my Karishma/Reshma sit 8 hours or so. This is what I do. I dont add any oils or conditioners to my mix (OR HONEY) because I want the most dye uptake possible. I have read that honey WILL block some of the color uptake although I have seen debates on it. I rather not chance it. The Karishma (& Reshma) does not make my hair hard or dry.. I always rinse out with LOADS of conditioner repeating the conditioner wash over and over many many times in the shower.

1) Steep 4 bags of green tea (I use Whole Foods brand organic bags, box of 80 bags for cheap) in 2 cups hot water (I use a large Pyrex measuring cup). I have even let mine steep overnight (letting the bags remain in the water). I use green tea instead of lemon... green tea is also acidic but apparently less drying than the lemon (got the idea from curlynikki and others). The next morning I'll squeeze all the liquid out of the bags into the Pyrex cup along with the tea.
2) Dump the henna in a large glass bowl and pour the tea in a little at a time, mixing as I go along. When it reaches the consistency between yogurt and mashed potatoes, I don't add any more liquid but continue to mix/stir well
3) Cover with saran wrap, tightly and leave it on the kitchen counter while I go to work (it will sit from 6am till around 4 or 5pm when I'm ready to apply). Also I hear that letting it sit in the warm house (since our AC goes up to 79 or 80 during the day) helps with the dye release.
4) When I get home, I shampoo with Kenra Clarifying and rinse, then rinse with Suave strawberry conditioner (not a very rich conditioner but still I want a little conditioner run through it so as not to be so dry, to make henna application a little easier). I have also applied the henna after clarifying without conditioning. Towel dry with a microfiber towel. I put on my 'henna shirt'.. the old night shirt i wear around the house while I have henna in it. That way if it stains it who cares, its my henna night shirt.
5) I prefer to detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb but too scared to do it without conditioner in so I try to detangle as much as possible with my fingers
6) Cover bathroom counter and floor with towels, wear latex gloves. Have your plastic cap, small towel for your head, and rubber band handy
7) Apply the henna. I just slap it on with my gloved hands and try to rake through as much as possible with my fingers. I prefer to comb it through but its just not possible. I apply ALOT, esp to the gray patch areas
8) Remove gloves and put in the sink, wipe up any henna from my face/neck (or wherever else) with a wet paper towel and put on disposable plastic cap
9) Cover plastic capped head with a small towel and secure the towel 'ponytail' with a rubber band
10) Wipe up any henna that may have gotten on your counters/floors immediately. I discard the gloves/paper towels in a tied up plastic bag cuz it is stank. I immediately place the counter and floor towels in my laundry room sink (I dont mix it with my regular laundry)

I let it stay on for about 3-4 hours. Never less than 3 hours. I've done it as long as 9-12 hours but dont feel that long is necessary anymore since my hair has a great henna base from doing it so much.

I find that I have to repeat this every 2 weeks or else new growth gray starts appearing, especially since starting my Chlorella supplement. I can not STAND to see ANY gray new growth so I do it often. I have done it weekly too, no problem. I have sat under the dryer with the plastic cap on only a few times for about 20 min.. doesn't seem to matter.

After at least 3-4 hours I remove the towel and carefully remove the plastic cap (and put it in the tied up plastic bag in the laundry room trash can). I remove the nightshirt and put the towel and nightshirt in the wash immediately along with the countertop and floor towels. That way all my henna stuff is washed together at the same time by itself.

In the shower I rinse ALOTT of times with Suave Strawberry conditioner (I love that stuff). I will 'shampoo' my hair with the conditioner and rinse like 5 times or more. Once I feel like I've gotten out as much as possible I apply a moisturizing thick conditioner (like Aussie Deep or Lustrasilk Cholesterol) and let it sit while I handle my shower bidness. I rinse it out, and apply loads of leave ins (Paul Mitchell The conditioner plus KBB Hair Nectar). I will add some Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose and tie it up with my silk scarf and go to sleep. I know that not all of the henna is 100% rinsed out because my hair scarf will be stained the next morning (I'm able to wash it out in the washer on hand wash cycle using detergent plus Biz or Oxy). My hair will not be rinsing clean from the henna for another day or so. I will do a several-hour deep condition within the next 2 days using either Hairveda Sitrinillah or SheScentIt Banana Brulee or something.
That was very thorough! Thanks so much for the breakdown. I need to get some gloves and other supplies. I am psyched about using Henna for the first time. :yep:

AllieCat0817

You hair might feel a little rough after first rinsing out. Just keep conditioner rinsing as much as possible till you get out as much as possible, so a super moisturizing conditioner, and DC as soon afterward as you can, and you'll be good.

My cousin who just BC'd natural just used Reshma brand for the first time and she LOVED IT. I was afraid she'd be upset at the initial 'rough' feeling but it definitely goes away. And I definitely don't notice it as much now (using green tea) and I did using lemon/lime juice.

Cassandra1975

You hair might feel a little rough after first rinsing out. Just keep conditioner rinsing as much as possible till you get out as much as possible, so a super moisturizing conditioner, and DC as soon afterward as you can, and you'll be good.

My cousin who just BC'd natural just used Reshma brand for the first time and she LOVED IT. I was afraid she'd be upset at the initial 'rough' feeling but it definitely goes away. And I definitely don't notice it as much now (using green tea) and I did using lemon/lime juice.
I will pick up some Suave as well. I have some of the HairVeda Moist 24/7, but I don't want to use it all up after the henna. I also use Sitrinillah as my DC (with a little Vatika Frosting mixed in), so I will DC with that.

I definitely like the idea of green tea vs. lemon juice, so I'll have to make a stop at Home Economist to pick some up.

HERicane10

Thanks for the info!

Hmmm...I could probably do 4 hours. I guess I need to mix the night before and let the color release, and put it on in the morning. I assume that's 4 hours without heat?

I just got a gallon bucket of Coconut oil from Mountain Rose herbs, so I would have no problem with that part. :lachen:

Do you shampoo the night before? Or right before? And are you applying to damp or dry hair?

I apply all my herbal powders on dry, unwashed hair. :look: I've had great results. Many call for a pre-oilling so it doesn't make sense to me to wash the oil out. Indians are BIG on oiling the hair. :yep:

HERicane10

How long should you wait before using henna again after using it previously?

That will depend on how fast your hair grows or the color fades. I henna weekly as a treatment and not for color. I use henna and indigo to color my hair 1x per month.