Am I wasting my time relaxing?(pics)

LexiDior

I last relaxed in December, around the 20th after a 3 month stretch. Now, 1 month post, my hair looks the same as if i had not relaxed at all.
This is two days ago (January)

this is before relaxing (November)

My back is an afro and the top is straight. I moisturize and seal my ends, so they are taken good care of. I dont know what to do. If im relaxed I want to look it. And BTW Dark & Lovely Anti-Reversion Serum did nothing for my hair and lasted a couple of days.

LexiDior

I use ORS no lye, the regular one. Ive tried ORS lye and back in the day i used Dark & Lovely which did nothing for my hair either.

Mystic

Your hair is bigger but it also depends on what you are looking for. Do you want straight hair with little body? If so, change your relaxer or leave it on longer and smooth more. Personally, I like the thickness of your hair.

LexiDior

I just hate the puffiness of the back and the straightness of the top. I dont understand why its so different.

Any relaxer suggestions??

nae1114

I understand what you are saying. I realized that my hair is much more coiled and coarse at the crown and more resistant. To help with this I would apply the relaxer there first and do the front and edges last. Also that area needed more smoothing than the rest. It was a little complicated. In the end I am now transitioning because relaxing never gave me the look I was going for but I think I just was not skilled enough to pull off the multiple processing times/techniques.
Natural my hair ranges from 3c to 4b.
So bottom line I think you need to perfect your application to get what you are looking for. Start at the crown and back...
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

LexiDior

I understand what you are saying. I realized that my hair is much more coiled and coarse at the crown and more resistant. To help with this I would apply the relaxer there first and do the front and edges last. Also that area needed more smoothing than the rest. It was a little complicated. In the end I am now transitioning because relaxing never gave me the look I was going for but I think I just was not skilled enough to pull off the multiple processing times/techniques.
So bottom line I think you need to perfect your application to get what you are looking for. Start at the crown and back...
I hope this helps.

Do you think it would last longer??

EnExitStageLeft

I agree that maybe its the brand. I prefer a lot of texture, so I use a texturizer. If you want it straighter you might need a stronger relaxer and smooth a bit more during the processing.

Or maybe its your choice of relaxer method. I know some can't do the all over method and receive the texture they want. Shoot! It took me two almost setbacks and scalp burn to get it right :perplexed:. If that's the case then I suggest the Half n' Half method.

EbonyCPrincess and againstallodds does it with AWESOME results.

Here are their videos:

EbonyCPrincess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVUZ-eHqcQ

AgainstAllOdds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI (Updated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmJqG72nGc (Order and a bit more detailed)

HTH's :)

nae1114

Do you think it would last longer??

Yes but you have to be prepared that your hair will always become more textured than it was on relaxer day.
Changing product may help so with that I agree with the other posters but I think you need a better technique to get your desired results.

LexiDior

Thanks ladies, ill check out those videos and look around for relaxer reviews. I may try a different relaxer.

Evolving78

you may need to choose brands, or change strength. it just looks underprocessed to me. or you could try going to a professional to get better results.

remember, a relaxer is suppose to relax your curl pattern, not straighten it. that is what flat irons, blow dryers are for.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
After you wash how do you style your hair?

I think part of the issue is the techniques you are using.

Mjon912

Maybe trying a different brand of relaxer or I used to relax my hair in sections, part your hair the way you normally would, I did two side sections and one back section, apply the relaxer to one section, smooth it in then move on to the next section. Normally I'd get through both side sections before it was time to wash out the first side section, I'd wash and neutralize that section and smooth the other side, start the back section and when ever I felt it was time rinse the other side section out and neutralize , then I'd continue with the back

Kindheart

Have you done a porosity strand test?
Perhaps you have low porosity hair .
"Hair with low porosity is considered "resistant" hair. Low porosity is when the cuticle of the hair shaft is too compact and does not permit moisture to enter or leave the hair shaft. Hair with low porosity is much more difficult to process, is resistant to chemical services, and has a tendency to repel product rather than absorb it. Chemical services performed on hair with low porosity require a more alkaline solution than those on hair with high porosity, to raise the cuticle and permit uniform saturation and penetration.

LexiDior

Have you done a porosity strand test?
Perhaps you have low porosity hair .
"Hair with low porosity is considered "resistant" hair. Low porosity is when the cuticle of the hair shaft is too compact and does not permit moisture to enter or leave the hair shaft. Hair with low porosity is much more difficult to process, is resistant to chemical services, and has a tendency to repel product rather than absorb it. Chemical services performed on hair with low porosity require a more alkaline solution than those on hair with high porosity, to raise the cuticle and permit uniform saturation and penetration.

Kindheart

is that when you put a few strand of hair in water to see if they sink??

Your Cheeziness

I hope this helps.

+1 This is what I do.

AHeadOfCoils

Obviously, I'm not there to feel it, but it looks under-processed based on those pictures.

I second the suggestion to try a different relaxer.

crazytrish75

You will probably not see a lot of length difference since u still have so much texture left. It does look much thicker though. The first thing I cut out a year ago when I started my HHJ was the flat iron. So my hair appeared to have very minimal growth, but when I relaxed 3 weeks ago, I decided to celebrate my one year LHCF anniversary by flat ironing. That was when I saw the fruits of my labor :yep: when u leave texture or unintentionally under process, u will still have plenty of shrinkage, making it appear that u haven't grown vey much. My hair also thickened up first before I started to see length. Perhaps it is your smoothing technique, but I tried a couple of different relaxers when I first started and had to go back to my tried and true, Silk Elements No lye. It is the only one that gives me consistent results without underprocessing. HTH!

EbonyCPrincess

I agree that maybe its the brand. I prefer a lot of texture, so I use a texturizer. If you want it straighter you might need a stronger relaxer and smooth a bit more during the processing.

Or maybe its your choice of relaxer method. I know some can't do the all over method and receive the texture they want. Shoot! It took me two almost setbacks and scalp burn to get it right :perplexed:. If that's the case then I suggest the Half n' Half method.

EbonyCPrincess and againstallodds does it with AWESOME results.

Here are their videos:

EbonyCPrincess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVUZ-eHqcQ

AgainstAllOdds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkSNjf8aBI (Updated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmJqG72nGc (Order and a bit more detailed)

HTH's :)

EnExitStageLeft Thanks for the shout out! Sorry for my delayed response, lately when I visit I realize I haven't been logged in so I've been in lurk mode not getting notifications. :-/

OP - I see you got lots of responses, I hope you found the help you were looking for. Like StageLeft said - there is no way I'd be able to get my hair fully processed WITHOUT using the half and half method. It changed my life! Also if you are looking for another brand to try, I relax fully (not texlaxed) with wonderful results from Optimum Care No Lye. My hair is always straight but never thin after a touchup. HTH!

alltangledup

Lexi, were you natural previously? If so it's a really good idea for you to blow out your virgin hair before applying the relaxer. It doesen't at all cause the relaxer to take faster, but only stretches out the hair. It's also a really good idea for people who like to stretch relaxers for 6 or more months at a time of have really dense new growth.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
It looks like you were underprocessed....I can only think of 2 reasons....

1) maybe (if you didn't do the comb/smoothing step) the relaxer didn't take.

or

2) could you be pregnant?