REVERSION..Help!! (transitioning)

AudraChanell

I'm transitioning and flat ironed 2-3 days ago using Dark & Lovely 6-week Anti-Reversion Cream and was frizzed OUT today! I mean it didn't rain, I didn't sweat; nothing to account for this reversion! I don't know how I will ever wear straight hair as a natural without really heat-damaging my hair. :perplexed *sigh* My hair would revert even when I was fully relaxed...

I did one to two passes with a Jilbere flat iron on setting 15 (roughly 223 degrees) of 30 (446 degrees). Should I increase the heat ... passes?

What can I use to help reversion?

PBE718

One thing that kept my flat ironed hair from reverting was using a steam flat iron on a regular heat setting (320-360 degrees). Other things you can do would be to make sure the hair doesn't revert quickly:

1. Deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner (make sure to wash all of the conditioner out - you may also want to clarify the hair before you DC)
2. Only use heat protectants on wet hair before applying heat - Do not use oils or moisturizers on the hair
3. Use an anti-frizz serum after flatironing
4. Technique

You may want to use a higher heat setting.. but only flat iron if necessary.. the last thing you want is to heat damage the little natural hair you have now. It's best to do styles that conform your relaxed hair to look like your natural hair.

Check out my review of the babyliss flatiron.. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=679731&highlight=babyliss My hair stayed straight for over a week.

mshoneyfly

I'm transitioning and flat ironed 2-3 days ago using Dark & Lovely 6-week Anti-Reversion Cream and was frizzed OUT today! I mean it didn't rain, I didn't sweat; nothing to account for this reversion! I don't know how I will ever wear straight hair as a natural without really heat-damaging my hair. :perplexed *sigh* My hair would revert even when I was fully relaxed...

I did one to two passes with a Jilbere flat iron on setting 15 (roughly 223 degrees) of 30 (446 degrees). Should I increase the heat ... passes?

What can I use to help reversion?

AudraChanell

I have this product but haven't had great success yet either. I am currently avoiding direct heat but i tried it once about 4 months ago. I went back to the directions and it said to use a moisturizing poo and conditioner. At the time I didn't know what to use

What poo and conditioner did you use? Did you moisturize and seal at all during those 3 days? What kind of moisturizer? I think it has to do with maintaining the protein-moisture balance. The product has arginine so after a while you need to replenish the moisture from the conditioner to avoid the frizz

Napp

Ms. Nobody
start with super clean hair
deep condition
blow dry hair as straight as possible
use a higher temp 320-375 should be good
use a straightening cream (my current fave is kuz/kismera straightening wax. its what i used in the last pic in my siggy)

there is only so much you can do really but a good technique and tools are really important. So far I have had success with straightening my hair and keeping it straight while keeping my curls.the only time I was worried about my curl coming back was when i used a new flat iron and when i went to the salon.

AudraChanell

PBE718, funny you should mention a steamer, that's all I've used the past 4-5 years. I burned out two MaxiGlides and currently using a Babyliss. I thought a flat iron would be more direct heat and press my hair more though a lower setting; guess I thought wrong. I'll try using my Babyliss a tad higher because I normal use 30 of 40. My next try Ill DC and ACV rinse and see what results I get.

Last edited:

AudraChanell

Napp I used Clear Nourishing Shampoo and Optimum Moisturizing Conditioner. It was a first with the Optimum, I couponed it for free, so I can go back to my staples. Yes, I moisturize with a creamy moisturizer (tad of shea or some other creamy tub?) and jojoba to seal. I do balance protein and moisture for the most part. I used a heavy protein treatment via Aphoghee a month ago and then Biotera's reconstructing for about 2 mins two weeks ago. Where do you buy the Kuz/Kismera straightening wax? My D&L Billion Hair Potion has Arginine so I can add a tad w/the heat protectant?

What heat protectant do you all like?

Last week I used YES to Cucumbers (poo & condish) because I have some color, but I wore a braid out. I have a number of product lines so if you find one DC or product that work for reversion better than other do tell. :) As to self-straightening on a higher temperature, Ill try next go 'round. THANKS a ton ladies!!!

Last edited:

Nonie

[USER=4372]AudraChanell[/USER];18398143 said:
Napp I used Clear Nourishing Shampoo and Optimum Moisturizing Conditioner. It was a first with the Optimum, I couponed it for free, so I can go back to my staples. Yes, I moisturize with a creamy moisturizer (tad of shea or some other creamy tub?) and jojoba to seal. I do balance protein and moisture for the most part. I used a heavy protein treatment via Aphoghee a month ago and then Biotera's reconstructing for about 2 mins two weeks ago. Where do you buy the Kuz/Kismera straightening wax? My D&L Billion Hair Potion has Arginine so I can add a tad w/the heat protectant?

What heat protectant do you all like?

Last week I used YES to Cucumbers (poo & condish) because I have some color, but I wore a braid out. I have a number of product lines so if you find one DC or product that work for reversion better than other do tell. :) As to self-straightening on a higher temperature, Ill try next go 'round. THANKS a ton ladies!!!

Your mistake was using a product on your hair besides protectant when you flat iron. As PBE718 mentioned, once you dry your hair, the only product you should have on your hair should be protectant. You should get all your moisture from conditioning during your wash.

When you apply a moisturizer or oil, you make adhesion of protectant on your hair difficult as its molecules slide over those of the extra products. So the protectant does not coat your hair well to seal out moisture nor does it offer good protection against heat damage since there are gaps. So that means your straight results will be short-lived and you risk burning your hair and losing curls. The moisturizer/oil were not made to be used on hot hair so who knows what reaction you are creating when you add heat. Not to mention your hair ends up stinking coz you are cooking the products in your hair.

When that 11-year old burned off her hair, it was not because the curling rod was too hot. It was because she used a combustible product whose directions do not say "Use with heat" on her hair then cooked it in her hair. I am talmbout this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh9kBmDYJ8
Only a product that is OK to use with heat because it is made for that purpose should be on your hair when using heat.

westNDNbeauty's thread offers more info on this:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Last edited:

PBE718

PBE718, funny you should mention a steamer, that's all I've used the past 4-5 years. I burned out two MaxiGlides and currently using a Babyliss. I thought a flat iron would be more direct heat and press my hair more though a lower setting; guess I thought wrong. I'll try using my Babyliss a tad higher because I normal use 30 of 40. My next try Ill DC and ACV rinse and see what results I get.

Hmm.. the Babyliss is by far the best iron I've ever used, but it may not be for you then. How straight do you get your hair before you flat iron? That's also a crucial step.

PBE718

Your mistake was using a product on your hair besides protectant when you flat iron. As PBE718 mentioned, once you dry your hair, the only product you should have on your hair should be protectant. You should get all your moisture from conditioning during your wash.

When you apply a moisturizer or oil, you make adhesion of protectant on your hair difficult as its molecules slide over those of the extra products. So the protectant does not coat your hair well to seal out moisture nor does it offer good protection against heat damage since there are gaps. So that means your straight results will be short-lived and you risk burning your hair and losing curls. The moisturizer/oil were not made to be used on hot hair so who knows what reaction you are creating when you add heat. Not to mention your hair ends up stinking coz you are cooking the products in your hair.

When that 11-year old burned off her hair, it was not because the curling rod was too hot. It was because she used a combustible product whose directions do not say "Use with heat" on her hair then cooked it in her hair. I am talmbout this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh9kBmDYJ8
Only a product that is OK to use with heat because it is made for that purpose should be on your hair when using heat.

westNDNbeauty's thread offers more info on this:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Oh didn't read the reply about using a moisturizer.

Totally agree! That's most likely what the problem is. And Haha.. that video had me cracking up!:grin:

AudraChanell

Thanks, ladies. :) No, I think you misunderstood PBE718. The Babyliss "does" get my hair straight on 30 of 40 and without reversion. This is first time I've "flat ironed" in at least 4 years; the the flat ironed hair (used on setting 15 of 30) is what reverted. My question was did it need to be HOTTER or more PASSES if that makes sense. :/ Maybe Ill just go back to steaming ...

Nonie, I can attempt no product, but Ive always mositurized and sealed and this never happened. The only difference is using a flat iron on 15 :( Ill go back to steaming and only with protectant and moisturize the next day. :)

Hmm.. the Babyliss is by far the best iron I've ever used, but it may not be for you then. How straight do you get your hair before you flat iron? That's also a crucial step.

Last edited: