Am i the only person who doesn't want very long hair?!!!

p381

I've seen a few ladies on here with really long waist length (or longer) hair & although it looks lovely - to me it just looks like it would be very hard to manage!
I have neck length & basically just happy to have healthy shoulder length or maybe even armpit length.
Anyone feel the same?

MummysGirl

It all depends on what you mean by very long hair...

While I was still relaxing my hair, my goal was APL (which I reached last year)

BUT

I'm transitioning now and I have really coily new growth so when I'm APL (a couple of years from now, I hope) as a full natural, I'll probably look like I'm SL so I'd want my hair to be longer than APL so that it will look longer than SL in it's natural state.

So... no, you are not the only one who doesn't want very long hair.

Carolina18

You may find that you'll want more length once you reach your goal, if only just to see how far your hair can go. I aimed for BSL when I joined LHCF, got there, then went for WL. I haven't cut my hair to keep it at WL, so some of it is touching TBL. I will probably cut it back so I can be full WL when the rest of my hair catches up, but it has been cool to see my hair reach lengths I have always dreamed of.

p381

Hmmm, you could be right Carolina.:yep:
Although i'm NL now, i have been a little longer than SL in the past (in my Jheri Curl days:grin:) - but as you say, who knows. When i reach SL/APL i may want to be longer.......but i just cannot see myself being able to manage WL hair.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
You may find that you'll want more length once you reach your goal, if only just to see how far your hair can go. I aimed for BSL when I joined LHCF, got there, then went for WL. I haven't cut my hair to keep it at WL, so some of it is touching TBL. I will probably cut it back so I can be full WL when the rest of my hair catches up, but it has been cool to see my hair reach lengths I have always dreamed of.

So true. When I first came here I wanted APL, then I got to APL in a few months and then I said ok BSL and that's it. Then I realised it was still growing and thought...hmmm...I wonder how long my hair can grow if I really take care of it. Then I said WL. As it grows longer it doesn't even feel like that much more work or that much longer but I know it's longer from the comparison pics. I don't know, I figure my hair is going to grow anyway unless I keep cutting it back to a certain length so I might as well enjoy it:yep:

p381

Your hair length HoneyA in your siggie picture is sort of what my ideal maximum length would be.
But i know what you guys are saying though, regarding wanting to see how long your hair can actually grow.

that_1_grrrl

This has been asked many times before, and no, you are not the only one. I don't understand you folks not wanting long hair. Y'all are crazy. :lachen:

J/k.

JJamiah

To me longer hair is more of a hassle, seems like the longer my hair got the more tangled it got. the longer it took to dry, the more product I used ( I am one cheap gal). SO, I like BSL, that is long enough to me. MBL and WL is too much work. I would find myself TUGGING on it like grrr. But I am stopping at BSL. It will just be cut to stay that length every relaxer. Right now I am trying to recover being impatient. So Your not the only one. Oh, I didn't consider BSL long, I figure it is in between short and long. Most women in my family have Classic Length. :)

p381

To me longer hair is more of a hassle, seems like the longer my hair got the more tangled it got. the longer it took to dry, the more product I used ( I am one cheap gal). SO, I like BSL, that is long enough to me. MBL and WL is too much work. I would find myself TUGGING on it like grrr. But I am stopping at BSL. It will just be cut to stay that length every relaxer. Right now I am trying to recover being impatient. So Your not the only one. Oh, I didn't consider BSL long, I figure it is in between short and long. Most women in my family have Classic Length. :)

Yes, this it what i'm fearful of JJamiah.
You know, once you get to WL how much product do you end up using?!!
I'm only NL at the moment & use quite a lot of products as it is........for example i go through quite a few big tubs of ORS Hair Mayonnaise in just 1 month (and i'm from the UK, so these things aren't cheap here)! I also use ORS Relaxer in the kit and the tub is just about enough for my hair.
How much relaxer or other products would i be using if i had WL hair?
I shudder to think!

loulou82

What's very long? I started with 2 years ago with relaxed hair and a goal of APL. Now that I've transitioned and BC'ed I now want MBL hair (straightened).

p381

What's very long? I started with 2 years ago with relaxed hair and a goal of APL. Now that I've transitioned and BC'ed I now want MBL hair (straightened).

I personally class very long hair as anything longer than APL.

I dunno,............ i just couldn't picture myself having all that hair!

Last edited:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I don't want very long hair either, I'm short so that wouldn't be a good look imo. MBL is WL for me:), my first goal is APL though.

JJamiah

Yes, this it what i'm fearful of JJamiah.
You know, once you get to WL how much product do you end up using?!!
I'm only NL at the moment & use quite a lot of products as it is........for example i go through quite a few big tubs of ORS Hair Mayonnaise in just 1 month (and i'm from the UK, so these things aren't cheap here)! I also use ORS Relaxer in the kit and the tub is just about enough for my hair.
How much relaxer or other products would i be using if i had WL hair?
I shudder to think!

You'd use the same amount for a retouch unless you need a full head of relaxer for virgin hair. Otherwise get your stock of conditioner ready! LOL!

p381

I don't want very long hair either, I'm short so that wouldn't be a good look imo. MBL is WL for me:), my first goal is APL though.

Yeah, i know what you mean Maracuja.......that's a thought.
I'm only 5,4" & reckon APL would be the maximum length i could have without the hair "taking over". :grin:

p381

You'd use the same amount for a retouch unless you need a full head of relaxer for virgin hair. Otherwise get your stock of conditioner ready! LOL!

Yeah, that's true.......i was thinking of if you needed the whole of your head relaxed. :grin:
But surely, when you use daily hair products - you'll finish them in no time, having all that hair?!
Seems to me that long hair will be kinda costly.

p381

Current: NL, (4A/4B, Relaxed)
Ultimate: Full, Blunt BSL BY June 2011

I want full, blunt BSL all around, thats enough to me, but we'll see...

You're kinda similar to me J'adoreHair.
How long have you been trying to grow your hair, out of interest?

Last edited:

azucar

My hair is fine and thin, I think it would look anemic at bsl or longer when i straighten (I'm natural), so APL is my final goal.

yvette

I've seen a few ladies on here with really long waist length (or longer) hair & although it looks lovely - to me it just looks like it would be very hard to manage!
I have neck length & basically just happy to have healthy shoulder length or maybe even armpit length.
Anyone feel the same?

No way in the world would I want waist length hair, no way. That is just too much hair for me. Right now, my hair is almost to APL and I'm struggling with that. I think because my hair has always been shoulder length and I am not use to having more hair. I initially want to be MBL and if I make it, it should be intersting to see how much work is in store.

But like others have said, I just want healthy hair. You can have very long hair and it not be healthy.

p381

My hair is fine and thin, I think it would look anemic at bsl or longer when i straighten (I'm natural), so APL is my final goal.

Yeah with some ppl - the longer their hair gets, the thinner it gets.
Just checked out your Fotki pics Azucar, and i don't think your hair looks that thin TBH.

p381

No way in the world would I want waist length hair, no way. That is just too much hair for me. Right now, my hair is almost to APL and I'm struggling with that. I think because my hair has always been shoulder length and I am not use to having more hair. I initially want to be MBL and if I make it, it should be intersting to see how much work is in store.

But like others have said, I just want healthy hair. You can have very long hair and it not be healthy.

Hmmmm, true.

Leeda.the.Paladin

If I can get to APL unstretched I think I will be happy. I don't know what that is stretched though. I know that I don't want to be detangling my butt off all day long.

RegaLady

It's no secret, I feel like you do. I have had short hair and to be honest, I am quite comfortable with it. I have long haired( APL-TBL) women in my family and its pretty common for them not to do anything with it. They either wear PS or ponnies. When they wear it out, it doesn't look so flattering on them.

I think anything longer than APL would not flatter me. My goal is CBL and I have seen some beautiful SL and CBL ladies on this board that inspire me.