Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Relaxer and Full Line - Review and Questions

Rnjones

For those with medium dense BSL length, what size (in ounces) relaxer do you purchase? I see some sites offer 7.1 oz and 15 oz..

I would like to try this relaxer out but I'm unsure how much I'll need. TIA!

I jut ordered this relaxer for the first time myself. I usually use box perms and require one and a half jars. Same stats as u plus a big head lol. I ordered the 15 oz cuz if rather have too much than not enough.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MGA2013

Thanks! I have a big head as well and usually buy 2 boxes as well. Let me know if it end up being a enough for you please?

Rnjones

Thanks! I have a big head as well and usually buy 2 boxes as well. Let me know if it end up being a enough for you please?

I will. I plan on relaxing prolly on Sunday. Wish me luck. First lye relaxer after yeeeeaaaarrrrssss of no lye

mamaore

I relaxed with the lye version last weekend. I bought the 15oz size and used 3/4th of it. Although I could have probably got the same results with half of the jar.

I used the half and half method for the first time. I loved the results, I managed the time better and it didn't take too long overall. With this method, I should no longer need to visit the salon for my retouches.

I liked the neutralizing conditioner because it definitely does what its says with two rinses. None of my neutralizing shampoos ever was able to neutralize my hair without multiple washes. I caution using it more than 2ce though because on my second wash with this conditioner, my hair became hard which could be because of the EDTA content.

There was minimal shedding during the relaxer wash out and my hair was well processed. Although I can see how this relaxer can slightly under process if you try to relax a whole head at a time under 16 minutes.

So far my hair is soft... but its usually soft after a fresh relaxer. I changed to Lye because I wanted to see whether it would make a difference in my hair's dryness. So the jury's still out on this.

I didnt purchase the mask as I'm not terrible sold on Alter egos conditioners. The Garlic mask makes my hair hard.

Rnjones

I relaxed with the lye version last weekend. I bought the 15oz size and used 3/4th of it. Although I could have probably got the same results with half of the jar.

I used the half and half method for the first time. I loved the results, I managed the time better and it didn't take too long overall. With this method, I should no longer need to visit the salon for my retouches.

I liked the neutralizing conditioner because it definitely does what its says with two rinses. None of my neutralizing shampoos ever was able to neutralize my hair without multiple washes. I caution using it more than 2ce though because on my second wash with this conditioner, my hair became hard which could be because of the EDTA content.

There was minimal shedding during the relaxer wash out and my hair was well processed. Although I can see how this relaxer can slightly under process if you try to relax a whole head at a time under 16 minutes.

So far my hair is soft... but its usually soft after a fresh relaxer. I changed to Lye because I wanted to see whether it would make a difference in my hair's dryness. So the jury's still out on this.

I didnt purchase the mask as I'm not terrible sold on Alter egos conditioners. The Garlic mask makes my hair hard.

I'm also switching to see if my dryness improves. I've never done the half and half method. I'm scared of underprocessing (I like it skrait), so I may have to research this method and give it a try so I can get the timing right

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm also switching to see if my dryness improves. I've never done the half and half method. I'm scared of underprocessing (I like it skrait), so I may have to research this method and give it a try so I can get the timing right

I do the half & half method & I luv it. It gives me time to apply the relaxer w/o rushing. It can be a hastle b/c its double the work. Jenichris23 is the utuber that I follow to do the half & half process; she's also a member.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

outspokenwallflower

Flor, Rnjones, mamaore

Did any of y'all ever switch from No-Lye to AE Lye? If so, how did you like it? If not, why not? Did you end up using AE No-Lye?

I switched and I like the Lye version very much but, coming from No-Lye, it didn't get me bone straight as a I preferred... I had to manipulate my hair sooner between relaxers to retain the straight look I like. However, those looking to leave a bit of texture, who don't like it bone straight or who texlax will LOVE the lye version.

Lastly, for all I know, it could've been my technique; but I look my time applying it (it literally NEVER burns) and even after having used it multiple times, my hair was still left with a bit of texture. My new growth and I don't play well so I looked elsewhere, but Linange Lye is still and always be an AMAZING lye relaxer. :yep:

Rnjones

I switched and I like the Lye version very much but, coming from No-Lye, it didn't get me bone straight as a I preferred... I had to manipulate my hair sooner between relaxers to retain the straight look I like. However, those looking to leave a bit of texture, who don't like it bone straight or who texlax will LOVE the lye version.

Lastly, for all I know, it could've been my technique; but I look my time applying it (it literally NEVER burns) and even after having used it multiple times, my hair was still left with a bit of texture. My new growth and I don't play well so I looked elsewhere, but Linange Lye is still and always be an AMAZING lye relaxer. :yep:

Whats ur technique?

Rnjones

@Flor, @Rnjones, @mamaore

Did any of y'all ever switch from No-Lye to AE Lye? If so, how did you like it? If not, why not? Did you end up using AE No-Lye?

So sorry I did not due an update! So I did try out the Alter ego lye relaxer and I have mixed feelings but will most likely use it again. This is gonna be long!

I relaxed mid July, so I am about 4 weeks post. My hair definitely feels more moisturized and full, however I did not achieve the level of straightness that I desire (hence my mixed feelings). At this point in my relaxer when using no lye I would still be able to wear my hair down without much effort besides flat ironing air dried hair. However, with this lye relaxer, even after last wash I had to blow dry and flat iron in order to get that swang hair!!! I can't remember when was the last time that I actually blow dried my hair. I am still getting used to the thicker texture, but all in all I think I can manage it, especially if it will get me to a fuller MBL and improve my hair health.

So as for the actual relaxing process, I tried out the half and half method in fear of not being able to get my whole head done in time. This method overall worked out well. I processed each section for 18 minutes. I based my scalp well (which I normally don't do). I also protected my previously relaxed hair with conditioner and vaseline. I preparted my hair into small sections to make the application process faster and also tried out my new sprush (which I LOVE!) The front when well, although I did experience some burning toward the time limit. I rinsed and applied the neutralizing conditioner twice, which works very well. I then used some left over neutralizing from an old box kit and let that sit on the front while I started the application on the back. Now the back did not go quite as smoothly:look:. I think I was so damn nervous that I started tripping over myself. LOL. I even asked my fiance for help and he was like :nono: "you ain't gonna blame me if ur hair fall out!!!" So needless to say due to not being able to see the back, I was a little sloppy. Also the back burned something fierce. I repeated the same wash out process for the back and once everything was washed I applied aphogee 2 min.

So yes, I will be revisiting this relaxer. However, I have already enlisted the services of my cousin to aid in the process to ensure even processing, straighter results, and less burning (hopefully). I am still learning to master my new growth so I may have some trouble making it to my normal 12 weeks, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Honey Bee

Rnjones, :clap: Thank you for such a thorough review! So, how many touch-ups have you done with the Linange thus far? What's the difference between your Linange-treated hair and the rest? (ie movement, holding on to moisture better/ worse, etc) Oh, and what did you use before? Excuse me if you've already mentioned it.

I'm thinking about switching to the No-Lye which, as I understand it, is more likely to completely straighten my hair. Thinking I should dilute it with some oil. I've never switched perms, so I'm probably gonna over-research this. :lol:

Rnjones

Rnjones, :clap: Thank you for such a thorough review! So, how many touch-ups have you done with the Linange thus far? What's the difference between your Linange-treated hair and the rest? (ie movement, holding on to moisture better/ worse, etc) Oh, and what did you use before? Excuse me if you've already mentioned it.

I'm thinking about switching to the No-Lye which, as I understand it, is more likely to completely straighten my hair. Thinking I should dilute it with some oil. I've never switched perms, so I'm probably gonna over-research this. :lol:

This was the first and only time using lye and alter ego. Previously I was using silk elements no lye. It does seem that My hair does hold onto moisture better, but it's still early. I can't pinpoint it but my hair does feel better in general. Hopefully with my cousin assisting in the next touch up I can get my hair a little straighter with the alter ego.

xu93texas

Ok, I just finished reading this whole thread. I will be ordering the Linange no-lye relaxer, the neutralizing conditioner, and the AE Coconut mask. I will use Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor as mid-step protein.

I haven't seen many reviews on the no lye relaxer. My stylist has been using the Influance relaxer system and I haven't had issues. I have a sensitive scalp. However , I want to start doing my own relaxers and I'm nervous about not applying/smoothing within 13-15 minutes. I want to keep a lot of texture. We'll see how it goes.

kim1006

Try alternating the garlic mask with another conditioner or it will make your hair hard.

Honey Bee

Ok, I just finished reading this whole thread. I will be ordering the Linange no-lye relaxer, the neutralizing conditioner, and the AE Coconut mask. I will use Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor as mid-step protein.

I haven't seen many reviews on the no lye relaxer. My stylist has been using the Influance relaxer system and I haven't had issues. I have a sensitive scalp. However , I want to start doing my own relaxers and I'm nervous about not applying/smoothing within 13-15 minutes. I want to keep a lot of texture. We'll see how it goes.
xu93texas, Which texlax method do you intend to use in order to keep some texture? (diluting the perm, coating your hair, shorter processing time, or some combination of the three?)

I'll probably go with the no-lye, but I can't find any reviews either. :ohwell: I wonder why.

My plan is to use it the same way I use Vitale: dilute it and coat my previously relaxed hair with neutralizer + porosity control. I usually use conditioner to dilute it, but I'm thinking about switching to oil. Hmm. Maybe I'm trynna do too much at once. Maybe I should try the Vitale with oil one last time just to see how oil works vs conditioner, and then I can switch to AE. I'm 8 wks post, so whatever I'm doing, I better figure it out soon. :lol:

FelaShrine, Have you made a decision?

xu93texas

xu93texas, Which texlax method do you intend to use in order to keep some texture? (diluting the perm, coating your hair, shorter processing time, or some combination of the three?)

I'll probably go with the no-lye, but I can't find any reviews either. :ohwell: I wonder why.

My plan is to use it the same way I use Vitale: dilute it and coat my previously relaxed hair with neutralizer + porosity control. I usually use conditioner to dilute it, but I'm thinking about switching to oil. Hmm. Maybe I'm trynna do too much at once. Maybe I should try the Vitale with oil one last time just to see how oil works vs conditioner, and then I can switch to AE. I'm 8 wks post, so whatever I'm doing, I better figure it out soon. :lol:

FelaShrine, Have you made a decision?

Honey Bee,
I'm not in a rush to relax. I think I can hang at least another 4 weeks. I'm nervous about using lye products. I typed in another thread that I would try the texturizer. I have both products on my Amazon wish list . We'll see.

As for as texture, I coat my hair with coconut oil the night before and I use step 1 of Affirm Fiberguard system on hair the day of relaxer. I think it's called Preservo something.

DominicanBrazilian82

All set to relax Sunday with my Linange Lye Relaxer (inclusive of the Neutralizing Conditioner). I was on a no-lye kick for years before trying the Linange Lye and I love it! Hair is never flat and stuck to my head and maintains moisture levels. Never turning back... :nono: :yep:

mamaore

Update: My hair is ~12 weeks post and I definitely will be using Alter ego lye with my next touch up. I loved how my hair felt and behaved since my last touch up. Hair has maintained moisture better and I am finally rid of bushy strands.

Rnjones

Next week will be 11 weeks post. I was aiming for 12. I just reordered the AE linange lye to have on hand but I think I may try some crochet braids to help me out for a few more weeks.

hot_pepper96

I just order the Linange Shea Butter No-lye Relaxer but when I received the order the ingredients listed "sodium hydroxide" on the jar. The bottle of liquid activator did not have ingredients on the label. I contacted the seller and she apologized and sent me a new package which was supposed to have a new set of the no-lye relaxer but again the ingredients listed "sodium hydroxide". Is this common for this brand of relaxer? Shouldn't it have been calcium hydroxide in the ingredient listing instead? I've been using Phytospecific relaxer since 2009 because my scalp is so sensitive and I would always get burns. Phyto never burns me but I need a cheaper relaxer. Phyto is too expensive for me to continue buying right now.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I order from amazon & the distributor that I received it from was ulgy something (I don't remember the name). When I checked yesterday on amazon, I saw a distributor by the name of blackbeauty.com

CodeRed

I'm going to try this relaxer when I get a touchup...I hope it works for me as well as it seems to work for everyone else. The dominican hairstylist who's going to do it for me said it's a really good relaxer and not too many people even know about it so they don't request it.