Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter Relaxer and Full Line - Review and Questions

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I'd like to know where exactly folks are getting the dark green one. Now I'm afraid to even relax my hair with this one.

cocoagirl

I'd like to know where exactly folks are getting the dark green one. Now I'm afraid to even relax my hair with this one.
Flyygirll2

I called the manufacturer yesterday and was told that they don't authorize for the product to be sold online so she can't vouch for whatever I received from Amazon. She also said that the product packaging for the relaxer has always been light blue, never a dark green. So Idk.. but as far as I know, the only place to get the dark green, at least in person is in NYC..Online they advertise the dark green, guess it's an old picture that no one feels like updating, but who knows what you will actually receive..

The site you linked only sells the large container for $50, that's not bad if you get a few uses out of it, but at this point idk if the dark green container consistency is any good any more (if bought online or in stores) since a lot of the stores I called (in NYC) only have the light blue which they say is the new packaging of the relaxer..

I'll keep the post updated if I find out anything else...If there are any dominican salons in your city, check to see if they use it if you don't mind going to a salon...

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Flyygirll2 I called the manufacturer yesterday and was told that they don't authorize for the product to be sold online so she can't vouch for whatever I received from Amazon. She also said that the product packaging for the relaxer has always been light blue, never a dark green. So Idk.. but as far as I know, the only place to get the dark green, at least in person is in NYC..Online they advertise the dark green, guess it's an old picture that no one feels like updating, but who knows what you will actually receive.. The site you linked only sells the large container for $50, that's not bad if you get a few uses out of it, but at this point idk if the dark green container consistency is any good any more (if bought online or in stores) since a lot of the stores I called (in NYC) only have the light blue which they say is the new packaging of the relaxer.. I'll keep the post updated if I find out anything else...If there are any dominican salons in your city, check to see if they use it if you don't mind going to a salon...

Even though I bought the relaxer I have from Ebay, it came in a package from Amazon smh. The Vendor is listed as UglyBeauty which I now see has been mentioned in this thread. On Ebay however the vendor had a different name. I'm debating whether I should keep it or return it, one tub is not even a sufficient amount for my 6 month post hair Lol. That makes me suspect and afraid of purchasing online now given the information you received from The manufacture ....le sigh. I actually ended up buying the new Cream of Nature relaxer which is no lye but that doesn't bother me cause I've used no lye for most of my life with very little to no problems. I just wanted to try Linange based on the good reviews it's received and the fact that I wanted my hair less bone straight. I'm planning on self relaxing with the help of my best friend on the back of my hair. There are Dominican salons near where I live but the last time I went to one for a touch up, they complained about my hair being thick and kinky and that I shouldn't stretch my relaxer for long and ect....needless to say it was a very bad experience that I will never forget.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

quirkydimples

I contacted UglyNBeauty and they got back with me the same day. They apologized and are two-day express mailing me another container even though I ordered mine last summer (like most of us on this board, I stretch, which I explained to them). Should be here tomorrow, so I'll relax this weekend and update.

cocoagirl

You are correct no lye is calcium hydroxide, I would question if your not receiving a knock off since the price of this brand has doubled in the past 3 years. I've always ordered from beauty of New York since 2009. Just a thought.

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-463.html

MizzBFly, how can you tell if a product is a knock off?

Hello! This is the best relaxer hands down, period! Where has this relaxer been all those years when I was struggling, trying to find my way to get long relaxed hair? :cry3: I just used this relaxer last night for the 3428932934th time :lol: and I got the same result: silky, soft, healthy hair.
Angelicus, where do you buy your lye linange from?

So...... I just received the relaxer in the mail today and it's NOT dark green as it was depicted in the picture from the vendor, instead it's a light green color. Ughhhh I'm pissed now cause this is not the one I wanted coupled with the fact that I don't think this will be enough for my hair since I have 3 inches of new growth to deal with.

Here is a pic of it
flyygirlll2, well Rnjones said the first one she received was lye, lt blue and I believe she said that it straightened, so maybe all of the lt. blues aren't bad. When I opened mine, I could tell right away that it was a texturizer, the consistency was as thick as a relaxer should be. If you do happen to open it, you might be able to tell if it 's thicker or the right consistency, don't know what that would mean on how it would work tho'...

Rnjones

Can we get some consistency alter ego?!?!??? Shouldn't be rocket science. I'm about to give up on lye relaxers. Last go around was with silk elements lye. Results were better but still not straight enough

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using LHCF

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Can we get some consistency alter ego?!?!??? Shouldn't be rocket science. I'm about to give up on lye relaxers. Last go around was with silk elements lye. Results were better but still not straight enough Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using LHCF

Yes to all of this! I still have the small tub of Linange sitting in my cabinet. I think your best bet would be to go with no lye since it's supposed to straighten more then lye. My hair is resistant so even with no lye I've left it in longer than the required processing time before to get it bone straight, however this time I'm not looking to make it bone straight. When I really think about it I've never had luck with lye, it was always fire central on my scalp which is the only reason I've always used no lye.

Rnjones

Yes to all of this! I still have the small tub of Linange sitting in my cabinet. I think your best bet would be to go with no lye since it's supposed to straighten more then lye. My hair is resistant so even with no lye I've left it in longer than the required processing time before to get it bone straight, however this time I'm not looking to make it bone straight. When I really think about it I've never had luck with lye, it was always fire central on my scalp which is the only reason I've always used no lye. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

My hair was doing fairly well with no lye, I was just trying to up my moisture game by switching to lye. But like the day if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Now I'm scared to switch back to no lye because I don't want to encounter any set backs. Has anyone ever done a corrective on lye relaxed hair with no lye?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My hair was doing fairly well with no lye, I was just trying to up my moisture game by switching to lye. But like the day if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Now I'm scared to switch back to no lye because I don't want to encounter any set backs. Has anyone ever done a corrective on lye relaxed hair with no lye? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I understand where you're coming from. That was part of the reason I wanted to switch too cause I battle with dryness, but the last time I used MBB in lye I couldn't even leave it on for 5 minutes and my scalp burned so bad I had scabs. I've been afraid of lye since then but most ladies who use Linange say it's not that bad that's why I bit the bullet and bought it. What is the shelf life of lye relaxers anyway? I'm asking just in case I change my mind. Good question about the corrective, I've never had one done but maybe one of the ladies here has answers.

quirkydimples

Just finished relaxing my hair and I'm happy to report the new batch UglyNBeauty sent is up to the old standards. My hair is straight and has body. I used the entire line (relaxer, neutralizing conditioner and reconstructor). I washed once with Mizani BB Balance Hair Bath and used Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor before leaving the Linange restructuring mask on for an hour under a heating cap.

I let my hair airdry 90% then did a quick blow dry after adding my leave ins and a heat protectant. I'll probably throw in some hot rollers tomorrow or maybe I'll flat iron it...

Attachments

• image-4244605316.jpg
    image-4244605316.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-198433960.jpg
    image-198433960.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2605271052.jpg
    image-2605271052.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 69

mamaore

I relaxed with the lye version last weekend. I bought the 15oz size and used 3/4th of it. Although I could have probably got the same results with half of the jar.

I used the half and half method for the first time. I loved the results, I managed the time better and it didn't take too long overall. With this method, I should no longer need to visit the salon for my retouches.

I liked the neutralizing conditioner because it definitely does what its says with two rinses. None of my neutralizing shampoos ever was able to neutralize my hair without multiple washes. I caution using it more than 2ce though because on my second wash with this conditioner, my hair became hard which could be because of the EDTA content.

There was minimal shedding during the relaxer wash out and my hair was well processed. Although I can see how this relaxer can slightly under process if you try to relax a whole head at a time under 16 minutes.

So far my hair is soft... but its usually soft after a fresh relaxer. I changed to Lye because I wanted to see whether it would make a difference in my hair's dryness. So the jury's still out on this.

I didn't purchase the mask as I'm not terrible sold on Alter egos conditioners. The Garlic mask makes my hair hard.

An update: I bought a huge Tub in 2013 and I just finished it at my last touch up 2 days ago. My hair has thrived since using this relaxer, no more dryness for me and I love the neutralizing conditioner - its amazing and in 2 washes removes all relaxer traces. My hair is smooth and has a brilliant shine.

Now I'm scouting the web to buy another tub and no luck. It looks like where I previously purchased (www.bluebeez.com) has changed management and policy - they now only sell to licensed professionals.

ETA: Also it looks the price has more than doubled, but its worth it.

Last edited: