AIR DRYING WOES!!

soslychic

Could someone (preferably someone with 4a/b hair) take me through the process of air drying with mouse and scrunching? How do you prevent your hair from drying? What kind of product do you use? How often do you scrunch and in what part of the drying period? How does your hair turn out? crinkly, curly, wavy? Does it look like little waves or a curly fro? Please help me.

Country gal

I air dry my hair to avoid using heat. I have never follow the procedure you describe. I am curious now.

soslychic

Well there was a recent thread that talked about air drying their hair loose using mousse to define the natural wave or curl that their hair air dries in. They said they scrunch along the way to create even more definition. I was wondering what the result was.

Sky

Yes I would like to know too and I would like to know how you ladies keep your hair moisturized when you air dry. Its seems as if when I air dry and I put moisturizer on it , it still is not moisturized when it actually dries- its kind of brittle and "dry", like thirsty. ( hope that made sense)

lunalight7

This happens to me too, Sky...especially when I use a protein conditioner. It seems that my hair needs to initially dry w/ heat, even if I end up wearing a ponytail because it is smoother and softer. Also, it drinks the moisture, whereas when airdryed, no amount of product will sink into my hair. I guess its just part of the learning process...Im learning how my hair behaves...I try not to get frustrated....just go w/the flow...ya know?

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
. Also, it drinks the moisture, whereas when airdryed, no amount of product will sink into my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! And I am wondering if it is the products I use because everyone seems to think air drying is the best thing since sliced bread! I want to air dry because I think it is healthier but I know it cant be healthy for my hair to be that dry , then I gotta plunk more products in it after it officially dries...so wait a minute... this is costing me more money! Hmmmmm....

Lindy

Ladies,
All you really have to do to keep your air-dried hair soft and moisturized is use some activator. I like CareFree Curl Gold, but many here use S-curl. If you find that your hair is looking dried out during the day, just put a little more activator on it. It will keep your hair soft and also define the curls!!
I think mousse might make your hair "crunchy"...

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
Ladies,
All you really have to do to keep your air-dried hair soft and moisturized is use some activator. I like CareFree Curl Gold, but many here use S-curl. If you find that your hair is looking dried out during the day, just put a little more activator on it. It will keep your hair soft and also define the curls!!
I think mousse might make your hair "crunchy"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestion but s-curl doesnt work for me
I dont know if its hair types ( I am 4a/b) but it leaves my hair too weak and soft. I cant imagine putting it on my hair wet. I dont know ...maybe I just wont air dry everytime....

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
The only time that I scrunch is when I use Aura Cacia gel, and that's not very often. My hair comes out curly with a little less shrinkage than I get if air drying without it.

After doing a condition "wash" or shampooing, I typically spritz my hair with water/glycerin/conditioner while it's still damp and let it air dry. If I'm in a hurry for it to dry, I will use a diffuser to remove more moisture. On subsequent days, I usually just spritz with plain water to rejuvneate my curls after sleeping. My hair maintains moisture throughout the day.

Victorian

old head
soslychic- Do you want actual curls or just waves? If you just want waves you could do a braid or twist out. Since your hair dries in the braid/twist, the hair is smooth and moisturized when you take it down. I haven't done any of the scrunching though so I can't help you with that.
I never air-dry all the way with hair just loose since it does make my hair feel weird, no matter how much stuff I put in after. I let it dry from soaking to damp just hanging loose with some "liquidy" leave-in. Then I put in a cream leave-in and put my hair up or in plaits or something that will allow my hair to finish drying with moisture in it. I love air-drying this way.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
It's an attachment you can put on your blowdryer to disperse the air flow so that your hair is not blown around as much while it dries.

sylviaetc

solsychic: i used to have the same problem with airdrying.
no matter what i tried to moisturize my hair would still end up dry and brittle by the end of the day. i've been doing braidouts for the whole summer and i've finally found something that keeps it moist; i use kemi oyl conditioning spray. i know it a liquid but becuase it contains kemi oyl when it drys it leaves a light coating of moisturizer on your hair... try it and see if it works for you....

soslychic

Braidouts/twistouts are seeming like the way to go here. Does anyone have pics? I'd love to see the final result of both.

kix

Air drying effect and my process:

This is what I do:
Once stepping out of the shower (this is where I have to wash, condition, and rinse my hair), I spray conditioning vitamins in and work through hair, add a little oil (hair only - not scalp), then I use a fortifying moisturizer. NOTE: Protein conditioners are very drying, and require more moisturizer. This will definitely cause a product build-up if you don't wash/rinse/condition daily. Anyway, I then let my hair air dry a little while I finish my personal routine. Then I will put hair up in two scrunchies and let air dry a little more. Then I wrap hair in silk scraf and that's that! The next morning my hair has a definite enhanced wave pattern and is very well moisturized. Sometimes I might at a touch more moisturizer to get me through the day. Hair is then maintained in a protective style for the remainder of the day.

soslychic

Sounds great kix. I notice your hair is 2c and natural and that method would probably make your hair look wonderful.

Are their any relaxed heads that can air dry in a way similiar to this?

Robin41

Ok, first of all I want to thank you ladies for reminding me of this style. I did it last night and it turned out better than expected (I'm 4A, relaxed, just past shoulder length, about 6 weeks past my last touch-up).

This is what I did:
Shampoo and condition;
Towel dried and applied leave-in conditioner and Unfrizz Taming Creme;
Put a little glossifier in my hands and scrunched until almost dry;
Sprayed on oil for shine and continued to scrunch until dry. Since my hair is fine, it only took about 1/2 hour to dry.

This morning, I just sprayed with water and re-scrunched until dry and it looks great! It looks wavy and natural with with lots of shine and no frizz. I think working with your hair's natural texture (even when relaxed) has got to be healthier than trying to fight it by straightening your hair within an inch of its life all the time. You can wear this style with no heat, no rollers and no hot curlers.

Soslychic, I hope you decide to give this style a try.

soslychic

Wonderful Robin!! I was waiting for a 4a or b relaxed success story! I'll be trying that fo sho!! I appreciate it!

A couple of questions by the way: How exactly do you scrunch? What does that mean exactly? Also, what type of waves did you end up with? Curls? Crinkles as in with a braid out or natural looking waves?

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
solsychic: i used to have the same problem with airdrying.
no matter what i tried to moisturize my hair would still end up dry and brittle by the end of the day. i've been doing braidouts for the whole summer and i've finally found something that keeps it moist; i use kemi oyl conditioning spray. i know it a liquid but becuase it contains kemi oyl when it drys it leaves a light coating of moisturizer on your hair... try it and see if it works for you....

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I buy this product?

Robin41

By scrunching, I mean sort of squeezing the hair with your hands vertically up the hair shaft, from the ends up to the roots. You just keep squeezing or scrunching section by section as it dries. This helps encourage your hair to wave naturally.

I end up with natural looking waves with more curl at the ends. It sort of looks like a very loose twist-out but without the shrinkage (a bonus!). Try experimenting with different products and techniques to find what works for your hair. Good luck!

sylviaetc

i found kemi conditioning leave in at national wholesale liquidators for 3.99; but they sell it on their website for 5 and change plus shipping. i haven't seen it anywhere else...