Air drying relaxed hair

charmtreese

I've bee air drying my 4a/b relaxed hair for the past week and a half. While everything is going pretty good so far, I do have one small concern. My hair always dries crinkly. The top and edges are always smooth because I tie my hair up with a scarf, but my ends are always crinkly in the morning. I normally put my hair in a low ponytail and twist it snuggly securing it with a hair pin. In the morning my ends and roots are damp and my ends are crinkly.
My only problem with this is that my bun is not as smooth as I would like.

I need a air drying technique that is low manipulation (since Im co-rinsing daily and don't want to comb wet hair everday) and will give me semi-straight ends!

Thanks!!!

Isis

Since you are already air drying in the scarf, just roll up the ends with magnetic rollers. It's low maintenance and quick. Your ends will be nice, smooth and bouncy! :)

charmtreese

Okay, great! should I do more than one ponytail? Also would I have to comb through my ends in order for them to be smooth?

leona2025

I just wrap my ponytail around my head and tie it down with the scarf too. It dries soft and straight.

gymfreak336

Hey Charm!

What I do when I get home is take my clip out. Then I take a little moisturizer and one or two sprays of water from my spray bottle and put it on my ends. I rub it through and reclip it. When I do that it seems to straighten out any waves on my ends and help it look smoother and straighter. My hair is usually dry in about 2-3 mintues, I don't use much water and my ends are smooth.

charmtreese

Thanks for the tips ladies!

Leona, I dont think my ponytail is long enough to wrap around my head. None the less its a great idea, hopefully Ill have more hair next summer to air dry that way.

Hey Gym, Im going to give this a try.:yep:

Isis

Okay, great! should I do more than one ponytail? Also would I have to comb through my ends in order for them to be smooth?
I did not mention ponytails. :) This is not a ponytail method. I use Sylver2's method--just roll up the length of the wet hair hanging after you put the scarf on your wet head. I use 6 - 8 rollers and air dry overnight. One could use just 3 or 4 large rollers, but the more rollers I use, the faster it dries. I :love: this low maintenance method!

Now, I may experiment with Leona's ponytail method, wrapping the wet ponytail around my head and covering it with a scarf. That's sounds interresting. :yep:

charmtreese

I did not mention ponytails. :) This is not a ponytail method. I use Sylver2's method--just roll up the length of the wet hair hanging after you put the scarf on your wet head. I use 6 - 8 rollers and air dry overnight. One could use just 3 or 4 large rollers, but the more rollers I use, the faster it dries. I :love: this low maintenance method!

Now, I may experiment with Leona's ponytail method, wrapping the wet ponytail around my head and covering it with a scarf. That's sounds interresting. :yep:

Oooops!!! My bad.

I'll give this a try!

leona2025

My hair isn't long enough to wrap around my whole head either. It just reaches a little passed my forhead. I just wrap as a far as it'll go and make sure it's smooth. Kinda like a modified wrap. In the morning it will still be wet and I air dry it and rewrap it again that night and it's smooth. I only do roller sets in ponytails. They dry faster, but usually I do my conditioning at night and I don't see myself going to work with the rollers in my hair. I have some pictures of my rollersets in my Fotki if you want to see them.

Ballerina_Bun

I let my hair airdry hanging down straight or with a towel wrapped around it first. Then i put my hair in the ponytails. My hair is always dry in the morning. Also, I slather my ends with oil or a hairbutter(sheabutter and others works great).

I am transitioning, but when I was relaxing regularly, my ends were always nice in the morning. Using the heavy oils to seal them is what helped I think.

Good luck and HHG :wave: