AHHHHHHH!!!! I DONT THINK I CAN DO THIS!!

teysmith

:wallbash:I'M TRYING TO TRANSITION BUT I DONT THINK I CAN DEAL WITH IT!! MY NEW GROWTH IS SO FREAKING THICK AND OUT OF CONTROL!! ITS TANGLED AND I CAN BARLEY GET A COMB THROUGHT IT!!! I USE CONDITIONER OILS AND EVERY THING I CAN THINK OF BUT ITS NOT WORKING..I TIE MY HAIR DOWN AT BEFORE BED AND THE MOMENT I WAKE UP IT FEELS MATTED UP!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!
I AM SO CLOSE TO RELAXING! I DONT THINK MY HAIR CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT IT!! :nono:
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

plastic

BLASPHEMY !!! Of course you can survive without a relaxer

How opposed are you to wearing braids ? Cant you wash your hair and brush it into a ponytail and leave that style for a week ? How long are you transitioning for ?

teysmith

BLASPHEMY !!! Of course you can survive without a relaxer

How opposed are you to wearing braids ? Cant you wash your hair and brush it into a ponytail and leave that style for a week ? How long are you transitioning for ?

Yes, I'm thinking about getting braids...and my hair is pretty short so its not much i can do with it.. I cut off most of the relaxed hair so I will basically just grow from there..and then hopefull when i get to a my short term goal which is shoulder length i can cut some more...:perplexed

teysmith

NOW I SEE WHY MY MOTHER AND SISTER COMPLAIN ABOUT MY HAIR WHEN I WAS YOUNGER!! I MUST BE CURSED!!!!!! @##$%%&&^@%$#$#@@#$%%%!!!!!
....sorry folks..I'm so FRUSTATED!!!!

nappytherapy

If your hair is too short for twists, try comb coils, that's what I did and it helped a lot. If you can do twists at night and then a twist when you are leaving the house

HTH

bravenewgirl87

You're not cursed. You're just making it hard. The best advice is to take Teysmith's and braid it up. I loved Qhemet Biologics moisturizers and Growth Specifics hair balm to detangle my new growth. MOP Extreme Moisture makes my hair easy to cut though. Trim regularly. Co-wash and leave the conditioner in. Wen is pretty good for that.

Miss AJ

Once you are 100% natural it is easy. Detangling transitioning hair is a chore and that's why I hated it and ended mine at 5 months instead of 10. Treat your transitioning hair as if it is already all natural. Sleep in about 4-6 braids/bantu knots/whatever, comb with a W I D E toothed comb, only comb when wet or damp with water and/or conditioner. Protective styles are a gift and a curse because they do make the transition easier but if you rely on them too much during the transition you don't get a chance to really learn how to deal with your hair without weave/braids. It's so easy to just give up and relax but if you are serious about being natural, you gotta tough it out and work WITH your hair, not against it.

Miss AJ

Are you detangling in sections or just raking the comb from root to tip?

ETA: We kinda need to know what you are doing so we can pinpoint why you are having so much trouble.

Last edited:

shunemite

You're not cursed. You're just learning to walk all over again. I'm relaxed myself, but I just want to encourage you on your journey to your goal. You're getting used to good hair habits, and you'll get used to it.

CurlyNue

:wallbash:I'M TRYING TO TRANSITION BUT I DONT THINK I CAN DEAL WITH IT!! MY NEW GROWTH IS SO FREAKING THICK AND OUT OF CONTROL!! ITS TANGLED AND I CAN BARLEY GET A COMB THROUGHT IT!!! I USE CONDITIONER OILS AND EVERY THING I CAN THINK OF BUT ITS NOT WORKING..I TIE MY HAIR DOWN AT BEFORE BED AND THE MOMENT I WAKE UP IT FEELS MATTED UP!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!
I AM SO CLOSE TO RELAXING! I DONT THINK MY HAIR CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT IT!! :nono:
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

:hand:Stop! Now move away from the relaxer. You can not give up now, I forbide it. It really could be a million and one things that could be causing you such misery. Why don't you tell us what your regimen is so that we can get a better understanding of what you might be doing wrong or what you can add to your regimen to make life easier.

mscocoface

Your mindset is transitioning also along with your hair.

You are going to have to find your "new normal" in dealing with transitional hair.

Let the ladies help you who have done this. Give yourself a goal date, try to PM one of them and ask if they can mentor you along your journey.

eternalsotsm

How do you do comb coils? I'm transitioning as well, and right now i use curlformers. It's great for when i jump out the shower and take it out the next day, but i don't wash my hair but only once a week. lol. I reallllllly want to be natural because it seems as if the longer my hair grows when it's relaxed, the thinner it looks.

teysmith

Are you detangling in sections or just raking the comb from root to tip?

ETA: We kinda need to know what you are doing so we can pinpoint why you are having so much trouble.

I try parting in sections but its hard for me to get the comb through to part... and the more conditioner i use the more hair comes out in my comb! I feel like I'm damaging my hair when I comb and that just frustrates me even more because then I feel like I'm getting nowhere in the hair growth journey....:sad:

teysmith

You're not cursed. You're just learning to walk all over again. I'm relaxed myself, but I just want to encourage you on your journey to your goal. You're getting used to good hair habits, and you'll get used to it.

yeah.. I know I may not be cursed..but I say that because my mother, sister and even brothers have...I dont want to say "good hair" but I would say...softer hair..:sad:

teysmith

:hand:Stop! Now move away from the relaxer. You can not give up now, I forbide it. It really could be a million and one things that could be causing you such misery. Why don't you tell us what your regimen is so that we can get a better understanding of what you might be doing wrong or what you can add to your regimen to make life easier.

I dont really have one...I just wash, condition, hot oil treatments and use oils like vatika and and wild hair growth oil when ever I feel the need.. I had micros up for about 2 months. I took them down about 2or3 weeks ago..

teysmith

i got a relaxer in my car trunk...might have to pop the trunk!!! lol..no I want give up just now i dont believe...

Auburn

Did you try the steam treatment?

1. apply deep conditioner (especially to roots)
2. wrap head in hot moist towel
3. cover with plastic cap
4. sit under dryer for 30 minutes or so
5. wash out & etc.

PPGbubbles

Be strong my dear! Detangling is a chore... I mean I have been naturall Alllllll my life and it took me two years to re-learn the process.

I mean i would get soooo fed up that i would literrally rip out tangles cuz I would get soo frustrated with my hair!

It all take patience! I applaud you because I could only imagine the paitience it takes to go from taking care of relaxed hair to dive into dealing with your natural hair.

everytime I read transitioning threads my heart goes out! but I do hope you carry on...there are so many ladies who have succeded and they have given u great tips! I just hope u stay encouraged!!

BSweet

well someone can help me detangle? ..even the BKT was like peace out..lol..it did make my hair more manageable but only slightly..maybe my next treatment might be more effective...

so you can about stick a fork in me as well cause i'm about done...but i'm so afraid of chemicals after they tore up my beautiful hair..i donno what to do..lol..but i'm a hang in there

so you do the same!

*Muffin*

My lowly advice: Stop trying to get a comb through it! I'm not transitioning, but I'm stretching my relaxers for 6 months, and if I want my NG to lay flat and not bother me I just leave it alone. I comb it once a week, when I wash it, and aside from that I braid it up at night and wear a silk scarf to keep my new growth flat. When you are relaxer stretching/transitioning, it's key to LEAVE THAT NG ALONE!! You can do it, if you really want to. Just tell yourself that relaxing isn't an option, so what can I do to make my hair more manageable?

Is it hard to comb through even when you're hair is wet with conditioner in it? If so, you could try detangling in smaller sections to make it less tedious. If not, perhaps you should get a slipperier (is that a word :look:) conditioner to help detangle. If that's not working, you might need to clarify your hair so that the conditioner can penetrate better. I'm no expert, though.

PS. Take a look at Sylver2's fotki. She's got her stretching game on lock. Also check out the relaxer stretchers and transitioners support threads. Some of the ladies there (like Aggie), have stretched or transitioned for long periods of time, and perhaps you can gain inspiration from them. HHG :).

Last edited:

blackindia07

I hear you girl! Im not natural but I tried a long term stretch earlier this year and by month 5 I gave up because I was getting to a point where I was ripping my hair out when detangling. So I felt I was doing more harm than good and decided my stretch was over. So I can only feel your pain...BUT stick in there girlie. The only advice I can give you is PATIENCE!!! Patience is key...the more frustrated you get the more you take it out on your hair. Good luck!