Advertising Mega Tek with Microbraid Hair?

melodies815

Most likely, I will get bashed for this, but when I saw the ad I thought of myself. I always used MT while in braids...and only a little while with my hair loose.

I didn't get horrible growth while in braids at all, I don't think this is false advertising, and I don't think we can look at a picture and tell what other people are thinking when they advertise. That's a stretch in my humble opinion.

I think this particular thread has gotten carried away a little bit. I'm in braids right now and just finished my MT reggie. Maybe they know that some women of color use it while in this protective style and posted what their findings were. It doesn't hurt to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes....

Aslo...MT does work fabulously for the majority of folks who used it consistently and followed the guidelines for shedding and dryness....

I hope no one is mad at me..and if you are...sorry...I mean no harm.

cj

Lava27

Actually let me play devil's advocate...

My sister just last week took out her micros/invisibles whatever...she usually always has fake hair, but nothing ever the quality you can't tell the difference. She took them out and cut the rest of her relaxer off and rocked a fro until she was going to get it rebraided a few days later. She's an admin assistant at a morgage firm and when she walked in with the fro, allllllllll the people that worked there (none black) had no clue that the braids weren't her real hair and were shocked that it wasn't :perplexed

I also remember a few years ago two of my friend's white friends were at her house and one of the Serena was playing. My friend and I said something about her bad weave and her two white friends looked at us and were like "wait, that's not her real hair??!!!" and they were dead serious as obvious and horrible as Serena's weaves can be!

Sooo...maybe this person putting this ad together had no clue that wasn't the girls real hair and figured it was a perfect picture of a black woman growing her hair to great lengths???

Doesn't make it any better...but I'd rather believe that THEY are really that dumb in believing that hair is real than believing they think we're really that dumb and buying their advertisement efforts, lol

Oh, it's not Mega Teks advertisement....it's Horselovers.com's ad...

I used to be the queen of micros and when I took them out white folks at school were like "Oh, my God you cut your hair!" or "Nice haircut." :rolleyes: :perplexed I thought they were joking but they weren't.:nono:

You 2 are both right I think! I posted this in another thread somewhere, bascially in response to the women saying the were growing their hair to prove that "black women can grow hair to long lengths too!" Whenever I see this I think it's quite odd, as someone that has gone to predominantly white schools all my life. They really no SOOO little about our hair/ could care less. They think braids, weaves, etc. are all our hair and know very little about natural textures and relaxing. Now this is a generalization, so don't go beating me up, but your average white person that has few to no black friends, really won't know that micro braids aren't your hair. Trust me, I used to rock braids heavy in high school, and they always said the same thing to me when I took them out, "hey! you cut your hair! Looks great"....:nono: sigh

msa

You know how I am sometimes...I just have to laugh at myself.

@ the bolded - It is false advertisement. Relaxer boxes, ads in backs of magazines, tv commercials etc. All telling you to use this and that product to get a certain look. Whether it voluminous hair, straight hair, whatever. They know good and well the model has a weave on.:wallbash:

And they're making so much money on it. I can't believe people are ok with it. I really can't.

Yeah, but using braids to advertise a growth aid? :look:

I would not even hate on them if they did use someone with something that was more natural looking to try to prove a point.

A girl with extensions on a relaxer box does not phase me.

Braids when you are advertising a growth aid?

:lol: sorry – N-E-G-A-T-V-E! :lol:

This add is especially egregious because they're using fake hair to advertise a growth aid. But, people on this very site post "growth aid success/progress" photos that don't show any progress at all, and people fall for that so I'm really not surprised.

Either way, MT doesn't work and they don't mind using false advertising, but hey if you like it, then good.

dany06

You 2 are both right I think! I posted this in another thread somewhere, bascially in response to the women saying the were growing their hair to prove that "black women can grow hair to long lengths too!" Whenever I see this I think it's quite odd, as someone that has gone to predominantly white schools all my life. They really no SOOO little about our hair/ could care less. They think braids, weaves, etc. are all our hair and know very little about natural textures and relaxing. Now this is a generalization, so don't go beating me up, but your average white person that has few to no black friends, really won't know that micro braids aren't your hair. Trust me, I used to rock braids heavy in high school, and they always said the same thing to me when I took them out, "hey! you cut your hair! Looks great"....:nono: sigh

I agree with you for the most part. If they haven't been exposed to black culture they probably think everything on your head i real including an obvious wig. But guess what, we do the same to them. Those fully ponytails that are two shades light and shiner than their hair is fake, but many times we want to believe its theirs. The other group consists of the ones who have been exposed to black culture. Now majority of them think that everything on your head is fake. Example: Barbara Walters and her constant weave check on black guest for the View.

The braid aren't necessarily my problem. My only issue is that they use a very common stock image. I know I've seen this picture online for the past 2 years or so. When I see an image that represents a company all over the web for other companies and such it makes me think that they are scammers. I would have rather seen them use a model if possible. It reminds me of those site selling lace fronts. You know the ones that only show the celebrity that the hair is suppose to resemble. I dont trust companies who do that. So with using an add like this I feel that I cant trust them.

Now that they are marketing Mega Tek to human what will happen to the Ovation line? I was hoping to try the ovation stuff because it seemed as if it were more gentle on the hair. Also will prices go up?

dany06

Actually let me play devil's advocate...

My sister just last week took out her micros/invisibles whatever...she usually always has fake hair, but nothing ever the quality you can't tell the difference. She took them out and cut the rest of her relaxer off and rocked a fro until she was going to get it rebraided a few days later. She's an admin assistant at a morgage firm and when she walked in with the fro, allllllllll the people that worked there (none black) had no clue that the braids weren't her real hair and were shocked that it wasn't :perplexed

I also remember a few years ago two of my friend's white friends were at her house and one of the Serena was playing. My friend and I said something about her bad weave and her two white friends looked at us and were like "wait, that's not her real hair??!!!" and they were dead serious as obvious and horrible as Serena's weaves can be!

Sooo...maybe this person putting this ad together had no clue that wasn't the girls real hair and figured it was a perfect picture of a black woman growing her hair to great lengths???

Doesn't make it any better...but I'd rather believe that THEY are really that dumb in believing that hair is real than believing they think we're really that dumb and buying their advertisement efforts, lol

Oh, it's not Mega Teks advertisement....it's Horselovers.com's ad...

You know that I never really paid attention to the fact it a Horselovers add.

Lava27

I agree with you for the most part. If they haven't been exposed to black culture they probably think everything on your head i real including an obvious wig. But guess what, we do the same to them. Those fully ponytails that are two shades light and shiner than their hair is fake, but many times we want to believe its theirs. The other group consists of the ones who have been exposed to black culture. Now majority of them think that everything on your head is fake. Example: Barbara Walters and her constant weave check on black guest for the View.

The braid aren't necessarily my problem. My only issue is that they use a very common stock image. I know I've seen this picture online for the past 2 years or so. When I see an image that represents a company all over the web for other companies and such it makes me think that they are scammers. I would have rather seen them use a model if possible. It reminds me of those site selling lace fronts. You know the ones that only show the celebrity that the hair is suppose to resemble. I dont trust companies who do that. So with using an add like this I feel that I cant trust them.

Now that they are marketing Mega Tek to human what will happen to the Ovation line? I was hoping to try the ovation stuff because it seemed as if it were more gentle on the hair. Also will prices go up?

Oh yeah! This is definitely true...white women are weaving left and right and we never think they're going "that route"...all anyone needs to watch is one season of Real Housewives of OC to see that they love weavin, and some are paying BIG bucks for "extensions" as they call them...lol

I_shure_do_wish

I used to be the queen of micros and when I took them out white folks at school were like "Oh, my God you cut your hair!" or "Nice haircut." :rolleyes: :perplexed I thought they were joking but they weren't.:nono:

YUP! that happens a lot! Growing up in a predominantly white neighborhood my hair was always the topic of discussion. Not because they thought I was strange more because I would have micro's one day and short little corn rows the next. I had them confused....but I just went with the flow of things I couldn't see how they thought it was my hair to begin with.