Actually....

Caramela

A soft brush on damp hair renders less breakage and hair loss than a wide tooth comb. Is a wide tooth comb always the better option? In my experience, it's not :nono: What do you think?

Paris Belle

I think it depends on your hair and what you're trying to do with it. I definitely agree that a soft brush on damp hair creates little breakage. My mom swears by this.

However, I've found that it doesn't exactly smooth my hair down the way I want it to. But, if I used it this way just to brush my hair, which is what your original post sounds like, it would definitely work. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: Now, I see what you mean. Yes, I think this would work. Especially if you are detangling it in the shower while wet and then smoothing with a brush. I'll have to try this.

Last edited:

ShiShiPooPoo

I'm growing not so fond of my wide tooth combs. I even went and got a seamless one and I can just hear my hair catching.

Caramela

I've been detangling in the shower with my fingers and the shower stream... but even gently going through it with a wide tooth comb after the shower would give me so much breakage that it's not even funny :nono: If I properly detangle with my fingers and the shower I can get a very smooth (but wavy) bun and no visible breakage.

MoMo

I use a soft boar bristle brush after wash or wetting my hair and I never have hair left in the brush. So, yes, I agree with your assertion :brainy:

Caramela

What kind of brush?
Is the brush used to detangle, or smooth on damp hair

A very soft bristled brush. The detangling is done in the shower, and the brush would be used to smooth the hair afterwards. What I was doing in the past was detangling with a wide tooth comb (ripping out hair and causing breakage) and then smoothing with a soft brush. So I'm eliminating the combing part all together.

fluffylocks

A very soft bristled brush. The detangling is done in the shower, and the brush would be used to smooth the hair afterwards. What I was doing in the past was detangling with a wide tooth comb (ripping out hair and causing breakage) and then smoothing with a soft brush. So I'm eliminating the combing part all together.

Ok i see. :yep:

I've read that soft bristle boar brushes dont really harm your hair because they are just like your hair.

And i think no-combing will always result in less breakage.

So what i think is the brush on damp hair is not actually good, but its not harming your hair, and that the no-cominbing is really what is beneficial.
(ETA---so yeah i agree:lachen: There could be less breakage with the same result)

Im trying to comb less also---i've never brushed damp hair but i will give it a try...How are you going to keep your hair detnagled?
Im going to braid my hair in a couple of sections for washing :yep:

Caramela

Ok i see. :yep:

I've read that soft bristle boar brushes dont really harm your hair because they are just like your hair.

And i think no-combing will always result in less breakage.

So what i think is the brush on damp hair is not actually good, but its not harming your hair, and that the no-cominbing is really what is beneficial.
(ETA---so yeah i agree:lachen: There could be less breakage with the same result)

Im trying to comb less also---i've never brushed damp hair but i will give it a try...How are you going to keep your hair detnagled?
Im going to braid my hair in a couple of sections for washing :yep:

You're funny :grin: When my hair has dried, it cannot be combed. It's a jungle. The only detangling I am doing (for the time being at least) is in the shower, with my fingers and the shower stream. I can't really walk around sporting "Miss Celie" braids. :spinning:

LongHairDreams

since I have a fro, I feel it is impossible for me to detangle without a wide tooth comb. The boar bristle brush doesn't do a thing to my wet hair. Will this process even work in natural hair?

Twisties

LOL considering that I broke TWO:rolleyes: detangling combs in the past 3 weeks....this is funny.

I don't know, I rarely use a brush though. I guess I have to give up on the goody detangling combs which I really like for some reason, but my hair has been snapping them ...

So I am back to the big huge wide tooth bush combs....not sure what else can be done.

Caramela

since I have a fro, I feel it is impossible for me to detangle without a wide tooth comb. The boar bristle brush doesn't do a thing to my wet hair. Will this process even work in natural hair?

I don't know :nono: I haven't been natural since the early 80's :ohwell:

fluffylocks

You're funny :grin: When my hair has dried, it cannot be combed. It's a jungle. The only detangling I am doing (for the time being at least) is in the shower, with my fingers and the shower stream. I can't really walk around sporting "Miss Celie" braids. :spinning:

:lachen::lachen: Oh nooo me neither! :lachen: I just wash in already detangled braids/sections in the shower, then take them down and dry however, my hairs a jungle to comb wet and dry :nono:

LunadeMiel

I've actually found that I since BCing I no longer need to detangle. The only time that I use a comb is when I want to wear an afro. Usually washing my hair and using the shower stream does the job. I'm anticipating that once my hair gets longer I may have to start detangling..:ohwell:

BeetleBug

A brush is no no in my hair. I have tried brushing my damp hair. It leads to more tangling and lots of hair in the brush. I have a trusty wide toothes comb to help with detangling and styling my thick hair. It's the only comb I use even when I'm rollersetting. No breakage is caused. This is the comb I use:

Cichelle

I've actually found that I since BCing I no longer need to detangle. The only time that I use a comb is when I want to wear an afro. Usually washing my hair and using the shower stream does the job. I'm anticipating that once my hair gets longer I may have to start detangling..:ohwell:

That's probably a good thing to anticipate. ;) :yep:

I remember being just like you after my big chop.

On topic: I've never tried a soft brush on damp hair. Maybe I'll give it shot one of these days. Any particular brush recommendations?

Suerte

I *always* use a cushion brush on my wet hair.

I section it in 4's with my fingers and then use the brush.

From ends up to my roots...this works the best for me.

Often times I won't see one single hair in it.

anon123

It definitely depends on your hair and what you are doing with it. If I used a really soft brush just to smooth, of course it's going to lead to less breakage than if I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. That's the difference in detangling vs. smoothing for me. If I try to use a brush to detangle, I am in real trouble. Actually, I find a wide-toothed comb ineffectual, too. It will leave behind many knots and tangles. I use an afro pick.

LongHairDreams

A soft brush on damp hair renders less breakage and hair loss than a wide tooth comb. Is a wide tooth comb always the better option? In my experience, it's not :nono: What do you think?

I have to add to my preview post: the only time I don't experience a lot of breakage when i use a wide tooth comb is when I use Creme of Nature. My coils just wrap around any type of comb placed in my hair.

aurora3140

I've started doing this. I haven't combed my hair since Sunday, but I co-wash daily. While I'm in the shower after rinsing out the conditioner, I put my hair in a very loose ponytail. When I get out of the shower, I let my hair dry until it is only a little damp (almost completely dry). Then, I take my boar bristle brush and lightly scape it over the top of my hair only to smooth. It doesn't go through my hair, nor does it go all the way to the ends. My hair is lumpy underneath, but it looks smooth to the eye. I then remove the ponytail holder and bun. I haven't lost any hair in my brush at all!

Thank you for posting this because it has allowed me to finally stop combing daily.