A transitioners cry for help!!!!

Godsway

Hi Ladies,

I havent posted in awhile but believe me I have been lurking. I have been transitioning since December. Until recently everything has been going well. But my hair line and edges have gotten out of control. I usually straighten out my hair with the maxi glide but no matter what my edges revert almost immediately. I was trying to find some sort of pomade to hold them down but so far I havent found anything that works. If you ladies know of any good pomades for pressed hair let me know. I know you are supposed to stay from water based products because they cause the hair to revert.
On another note, I even checked out a couple threads here about ladies who relax their edges and napes:look: I don't know if this will work for me because one of my biggest concerns is losing hair around the hair line as I age. I see so many older african american women with this problem and I don't want that. But, right now it is still on the table as a possiblilty. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

beyondcute

Well what HAVE ou tried as far as pomades? And whats so bad with it frizzing up a little :) Thats the fun of natural hair :) It has its own personality

mscounselor

Ok...maybe its just me, but I find my little coilies at the front of my hair cute.
I follow in beyondcutes question about what you have tried.

I will say if you are trying to transition, wouldn't it defeat the purpose to relax the edges. It may also cause some damage to your hair.

sylver2

Godsway said:
Hi Ladies,

I havent posted in awhile but believe me I have been lurking. I have been transitioning since December. Until recently everything has been going well. But my hair line and edges have gotten out of control. I usually straighten out my hair with the maxi glide but no matter what my edges revert almost immediately. I was trying to find some sort of pomade to hold them down but so far I havent found anything that works. If you ladies know of any good pomades for pressed hair let me know. I know you are supposed to stay from water based products because they cause the hair to revert.
On another note, I even checked out a couple threads here about ladies who relax their edges and napes:look: I don't know if this will work for me because one of my biggest concerns is losing hair around the hair line as I age. I see so many older african american women with this problem and I don't want that. But, right now it is still on the table as a possiblilty. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What about wearing a braidout??

Godsway

Maybe it's what I am used to but I like my edges to be straighter. If they were cute and coily I would like it better but that isnt what is happening its just a ball of frizz that I can not control. Especially when the rest of my hair is straight from the maxiglide. So I am looking for something to hold the edges down. Also, I need to mention I am going natural because I would rather press my hair straight than continue with a relaxer.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Do a search for the transitioner's support thread, and I think someone else was having that problem, but I can't remember the strategies/gel the ladies advised the poster to use.

I'm a former transitioner and it can be a very difficult process.

Good Luck to you!

Godsway

Oh I forgot to mention.....braidouts are an option I havent tried so I will give that a try soon. But when I straighten my hair out what can I do to tame the edges some?? I have tried dax wax, tigi bedhead, IC fantasia gel just to mention a few. Thanks in advance.

MissFallon

If you dont mind a product with mineral oil you can use PCJ NewGro Hairdress (little girl on cover, has a pink top). It usually softens the ng and straightens it out whe you brush it. I love this and it has been a staple since 2004. It def helps me stretch my relaxers to 6 months. It costs about $4.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
This may work depending on how you wear your hair: Apply your products along the hairline with a tooth brush brushing in the whatever direction fits your hair style-then tie it down with a scarf. It won't be anywhere near bone straight, but it will reduce alot of the poofyness (sp?). Any product you have should work.

Here's one of my transitioning pics where I did this.
Hittin Them Edges

Mestiza

JCoily said:
This may work depending on how you wear your hair: Apply your products along the hairline with a tooth brush brushing in the whatever direction fits your hair style-then tie it down with a scarf. It won't be anywhere near bone straight, but it will reduce alot of the poofyness (sp?). Any product you have should work.

Here's one of my transitioning pics where I did this.
Hittin Them Edges

I'm transitioning, too! You are right! A toothbrush (and water) do the trick for me, every time. Godsway, you may not want to use the water since you're straightening your hair.

JCoily, your hair looks very pretty! :rosebud: