Smooth Edges w/o Gel

AtlantaJJ

Hi ladies,

I'm looking for something that is edges friendly that will smooth them down without drying them out. I'm giving my edges TLC after wearing braids for a long time. I might be wrong but I think most gels are drying after a time, and the tend to revert my edges when they are natural.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!

Janet in Atlanta!

firecracker

How about Vonte's Syling Wax or Dudley's Curl and Wave dressing? When I was relaxed or straigthened I used this on my edges for hold and shine. It doesn't take much. I used to apply it and tie a scarf for a few minutes.

I am going to try it on the edges of my texturized curly fro.

Last edited:

sweetwhispers

What about Dax Gold and Green, the one in the green metal case, i am natural and it seems to get my hair layingdown ok. However its basically petrolium and quite heavy.

CORBINS

I'm natural and I've been using Castor Oil. It helps with growth as well. I added 1/2 tsp of MSM to the mix to help soften my curl pattern. It works well for me.

AtlantaJJ

Re: Smooth Edges w/o Gel - - ? about Castor Oil

Woo Hoo, great advice. I am really reading a lot about caster oil. Is there a particular brand that everyone is using or do we get it at the health food store? What's the skinny on that?

I even remember reading Sara Jessica Parker saying that was her hair secret... I love her hair, curly or straight.

Thanks ladies.

Janet in Atlanta

cutiebe2

i use Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Its so thick and gooey so it hold the edges down, and it help grow my edges!!!

miracle

Black & Sassy Style Smoother. :up: :up: It has the consistency of a pomade, but smoothes so nicely. Doesn't leave the edges hard or brittle, and is quite moisturizing.

AtlantaJJ

CORBINS said:
I'm natural and I've been using Castor Oil. It helps with growth as well. I added 1/2 tsp of MSM to the mix to help soften my curl pattern. It works well for me.

I didn't know MSM could be beneifical by applying directly to the hair, do you use liquid or powderd form to add to your oil?? I just started taking the capsules.

Thanks!

CORBINS

AtlantaJJ said:
I didn't know MSM could be beneifical by applying directly to the hair, do you use liquid or powderd form to add to your oil?? I just started taking the capsules.

Thanks!

Yes, MSM softens the air. I use the shampoo and conditioner as well. I take 1 capsule and mix it with 1tbsp boiling water and microwave it for 30 seconds. You can also use liquid MSM. I love MSM! I have no complaints.

inthepink

I would either get a Tancho Stick or the Beyond the Zone Stiff Head. Both will leave your hair soft, unlike a gel. You can get the Tancho Stick over the internet and the Stiff Head at Sally's.

frankie

curlyj said:
I'm natural and my edges stay pretty smooth with mango Butter from Elasta QP!

I'm not natural, but mango butter works for me too...it works even better when I put it on damp hair then I use my soft boar bristle brush to smooth it down...wrap it up and let it dry in place.

LovelyLionessa

On damp hair I use Elasta QP Glaze, on dry hair I use Beyond the Zone Stiff Head from Sally's and I always use a toothbrush to groom my edges into place. :cool: