6 months and beyond transitioners....help needed

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Hi Ladies,
I'm @ 6months post relaxer (edges & surrounding are 8 months post relaxer) and feel like throwing in the towel. It's getting difficult to do my weekly wash. My new growth are drinking up conditioner and detangler like no tomorrow. I'm toying with the idea of pressing my new growth but I feel that it will defeat the purpose or cause me to lose hair. Besides, I was told that the pressed hair will revert when I wash (I can't do without my weekly wash or encourage the resurrection of my old enemy, dandruff)
Do let me know what works for you. Somebody, anybody, helllllllllllllllp!

inthepink

Hello,

I am at 7.5 months past last relaxer (I'm transitioning). What helps me is moisturizing my new growth with CD Healthy Hair Butter (or some kind of cream moisturizer). I tend to only comb my hair when it's wet or damp and I don't manipulate it a lot. Once I set my "style" on a wash day, I pretty much leave it till the next wash day.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Hi Hairlove

I only comb on wash days but it takes soooooooo long. My new growth (are so tightly wound, they're like mini dreds)doesn't even respect the biolage detangling solution. I have to keep dumping it on to detangle my dry hair prior to washing and after shampooing.
I regularly moisturize the new growth and the rest of the hair with a mixture of scurl, redken anti-snap leave-in conditioner and ors carrot oil.
I have no problems with the hair during the week. I just need an easy hair wash and conditioning weekends.
Only good is the health I see in my hair. I'm very impressed despite the hellish wash weekends

tennile

Don't give up!! I have transitioned for a year. We all feel that way sometimes,but in the end you know you are doing the best for your scalp and strands. Check out hairlove's album and my album for tips and suggestions.

Peachtree

Hi MHSOS,
My younger cousin has extremely tight coils that seem to "mat" when wet

Anywho, I told her to pre-treat her "dry" hair with conditioner (LustraSilk Aloe Enriched). Basically, she'll detangle "dry" hair, make many sections, then apply the conditioner to "dry" hair, cover with a plastic cap & leave on for at least 30 mins. Then proceed to the moisturizing poo, conditiner, etc. This lil 30 min routine has saved my cous a lot of tears... btw, water touches her hair about twice a mth
so u can imagine how knotted/dry it prolly is... pre-treating with conditioner on dry hair still releases the knots & tangles like u wouldn't believe.... at least on her 4b natural hair & my 3ish transitioning hair

For an even better results, warm the conditioner a bit before applying to ur hair.

I use this routine myself for my "co" rinses. Tangles don't even have a chance to form

Oh, 1 more thing... don't give up... there's still things that u haven't tried to combat the problems....I know how troubling this is.... just don't give up.... it WILL get easier

aikaa71

Peachtree, good tip for using conditioner on dry hair as a pretreat, will need to do this when i take out my braids

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Re: 6 months and beyond transitioners....help need

Thanks Peachtree, ladies...I'll definitely try preheating the conditioner that I add to my dry hair prior to wasing.
I'm in the market for a very very good deep conditioner. The last one I loved was Clairol Renewal 5x revitalizing conditioner for colored/permed hair. I recently purchased loreal vive and HATE IT. I need my money back.
Thanks everyone and I decided to stick with the transitioning. Healthy hair is my quest and these 'dredlocks' are going to respect that I'm the bosslady for now.

deborah11

i have to agree with peachtree; preconditioning really helps. also make sure u divide your hair into at least 4 sections and wash each section separately. i have been transitioning for a year and i now i 5-6 inches of new growth. washing is still not as easy as it was when had relaxer b/c of the 2 textures but my new growth is thick and healthy. around months 6-8, i was going crazy and redy to give up. it does get better, hang in there.

tennile

[ QUOTE ]
deborah11 said:
i have to agree with peachtree; preconditioning really helps. also make sure u divide your hair into at least 4 sections and wash each section separately. i have been transitioning for a year and i now i 5-6 inches of new
growth. washing is still not as easy as it was when had relaxer b/c of the 2 textures but my new growth is thick and healthy. around months 6-8, i was going crazy and redy to give up. it does get better, hang in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am gonna have to try preconditioning!!! I feel you on the new growth,girl-isn't it just wonderful?