For those who texturize or use to texturize

Millahdoowop

What do/did you all do when you switched texturizers/relaxers and/or strength. I used Desinger's Touch (still have some under my sink) Texturizing Relaxer in Super to texturize my hair back in August. I'll be doing my touch up on the twenty fourth of December (I know it's still early), and I would like to know did you do a strand test on your hair again? I'm going from Super to possibly mild in S-curl texturizer or the No-Base Hawaiian Silky (I've heard good things about it). Is it necessary to do a strand test again?

BAILEYSCREAM

Hi, when I did a switch from s-curl regular I read the ingredients on most of the lye products that I possibly wanted to try using first.

Then I found the Vitale which had a similar, not exact ingredients list to the S-curl.

If you have a lot of new growth, then there is no need to do a strand test because as long as you don't overlap on the hair that has previously been treated then you should be ok.

If you want to do a strand test, try using the hair at the back or sides and not the fron just in case.

ETA: Why are you switching from super to mild/regular?

HTH.

Millahdoowop

I picked up the Designer's Touch and didn't take a good look at it (stupid me) and by time I got outside and back into my friend's car I started to inspect my newly bought products and realized it was Super and they don't give refunds or exchanges. So I proceeded to do a strand test and I only had to leave it on for seven minutes to relax my curl a little bit. I'm assuming with a mild texturizer/relaxer, I'll have to leave it on longer. I don't think I need Super, but that's what I ended up with.

Porsche19

I think that you should do a strand test for every new jar of relaxer/texturizer you use. Not only are you trying different brands/strengths... frequently even the same brand and strength of relaxers can have different pH's.

I learned my lesson last touchup... It didn't texturize me fully, and now I'm probably going to need to go over it for a few minutes next touch-up. This was using the same brand of relaxer... just a different batch.

BAILEYSCREAM

Porsche19 said:
I think that you should do a strand test for every new jar of relaxer/texturizer you use. Not only are you trying different brands/strengths... frequently even the same brand and strength of relaxers can have different pH's.

I learned my lesson last touchup... It didn't texturize me fully, and now I'm probably going to need to go over it for a few minutes next touch-up. This was using the same brand of relaxer... just a different batch.

I think this would have to do with the porosity of your hair at the time of touch-up......Hair relaxers/texturizers and such products go through stringent standardized tests and therefore shouldn't have different pH's.

loonatick

i was wondering, how do you do your touch ups? Similar to relaxers or do you go
through all the length of your hair again?
Im thinking of putting cholesterol and oil on my texturized hair, then applying to new growth only. I use Scurl for my text and i had to leave it on for quite a while and smoothed/combed. Do you smooth/comb with your touch ups? Wouldnt it be difficult to tell when finished processing?

Sorry for longness, this is baffling me, as this time my new growth is noticeably a different texture... :confused:

Millahdoowop

Sorry loonatick. I can't help you there. This will be my first touch up with a texturizer. I just texturized on the 26th of August. So I'll see how this all goes when I texturize my new growth in December. I hope someone else has the answer.

Healthb4Length

loonatick said:
i was wondering, how do you do your touch ups? Similar to relaxers or do you go
through all the length of your hair again?
Im thinking of putting cholesterol and oil on my texturized hair, then applying to new growth only. I use Scurl for my text and i had to leave it on for quite a while and smoothed/combed. Do you smooth/comb with your touch ups? Wouldnt it be difficult to tell when finished processing?

Sorry for longness, this is baffling me, as this time my new growth is noticeably a different texture... :confused:

You definitely want to only put the chemical on the ng only, don't go through the whole length unless you have underprocessed areas. Your idea of putting cholesterol on the old hair is a good one. I'm not use about the smoothing/combing process to be honest. It would be difficult to tell what the finished product will look like but I believe it's based on timing and your hair texture.

loonatick

Thanks Alli77, i think i will smooth or comb close to rinse time, with a medium tooth comb. I guess i could make the process a little easier by detangling prior to applying.