A Newbie in need of HELP

SGrayVH

Hi everyone,

I have really loved reading your posts and getting tips on things to help my hair. My hair is relaxed (4b) and the breakage in the last couple of months has been crazy. I know that stress is my biggest issue but I wanted to see if the products Im using may also be playing a part in the breakage.

Here are the products I use:

Mane n Tail Shampoo
Mane n Tail Conditioner (Ive stopped using this since I tried the Blue Magic)
Blue Magic Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner (this is supposed to be a protein complex)
Blue Magic Grease (to seal my ends)

Before I found the Blue Magic Leave-in, I would wash my hair every week and DC every 2-3 weeks but since Ive been using the Blue Magic Leave-in (it says its okay to use it daily) I put that on my hair every time I wash it.

I currently have it up using a drawstring ponytail *which gives me a headache out of this world* but theres really nothing else I can do with it without looking crazy. I plan on taking pictures when I wash my hair later this week so you can see the craziness up close. So should I change up something or add something (after seeing some of your hair regimens, I feel like Im not doing enough)to my regimen that will help get my hair back on track?

Please help!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Welcome! :wave:

Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly, you shampoo your hair, don't deep condition, and then put on a leave-in?

If that's the case :spank:

You need to deep condition at least once a week, especially after shampooing.

How does your hair feel after using the Blue Magic leave-in? The combination of using MnT along with a protein leave-in could be causing you trouble.

Now, I have some questions for you:

Is your hair long enough to bun?

Since your ponytail causes discomfort, have you considered half wigs?

How often do you moisturize and what do you use to moisturize?

How often do you relax and do you only relax the new growth, or do you pull it all the way to the ends?

Your regimen doesn't have to be complicated, so don't feel like you have to jump through hoops in order to have healthy hair. :)

Last edited:

ChristmasCarol

I believe the Mane & Tail Conditioner is a moderate protein, as is the M &T leave-in. And now you're using the Blue Magic, which is also protein.

Your hair probably needs a moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing DC.

Your moisture levels are down, which is why you're experiencing breakage.

Last edited:

SGrayVH

Hi tiffers! Thanks for responding! Yeah I figured I should deep condition when I wash it but Ive had people tell me that if I condition my hair too much it will break. Im just getting used to doing my hair on my own cause Im tired of the salon.

My hair feels nice and soft after using the Blue Magic Leave-In. I tried other leave-conditioners over the years and they left my hair feeling dry and brittle.

My hair is not long enough to bun. It was about two months ago but the stress took a toll on my hair big time. :nono:

SGrayVH

tiffers: oops I didnt finish answering your questions. I only relax the new growth and I try to stretch it out to every 8 weeks. I dont use any other moisture except for the grease and the leave-in.

sipp100: Any suggestions on a good moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing DC?

tiffers

SGrayVH Now you KNOW ain't no such thing as too much conditioning here at LHCF! Don't make me spank you again! :lol:

You most definitely need a good deep conditioner and moisturizer in your life. If your hair feels good after using the leave-in, keep using it. But you HAVE to incorporate more moisture into your regimen, girl!

ETA: There's a line sold at Walgreens called Shea Moisture. They have good products, including a hair milk that you can use as a daily moisturizer. There's also ORS and Hollywood Beauty moisturizers as well. :yep:

Last edited:

SGrayVH

tiffers: LOL Thanks for the laugh. I really needed it. I will be looking into getting a moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing DC ASAP.

Aireen: Thank you for pointing me towards these threads. I appreciate it!

ChristmasCarol

SGrayVH

ITA with Aireen. Read through the threads she provided the links to, and then pick up one or two DCs. I'd start with the least-expensive. If you don't like it, you won't feel bad about not using it again/giving it away/throwing it away.

I'd also suggest adding an oil to your condish. Maybe try safflower or grapeseed, first. They are available in most grocery stores. Adding a bit of honey to your condish couldn't hurt, either.

Lilmama1011

You have a protein overload and why are you still using grease, it only clogs the pores and causes it to grow slower, using something more penetrating like coconut oil, since it's light, you will have to moisturize daily

Aireen

SGrayVH

ITA with Aireen. Read through the threads she provided the links to, and then pick up one or two DCs. I'd start with the least-expensive. If you don't like it, you won't feel bad about not using it again/giving it away/throwing it away.

I'd also suggest adding an oil to your condish. Maybe try safflower or grapeseed, first. They are available in most grocery stores. Adding a bit of honey to your condish couldn't hurt, either.

YES! Start off with something easily accessible and cheap, that way you have it right away and it won't be a loss if it's crap. Adding safflower and grapeseed is a good idea since they have ceramides which act as the cement over the hair's cuticle to protect it. Ceramides are typically lost during relaxing.

SGrayVH

Okay so I needed a good :hammer: to get me back on track and I truly appreciate it because without it I may have ended up causing more damage to my hair.

Soooo....Ive decided to go with these products:

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo & Intensive Conditioner
Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol-DC
Hollywoord Beauty Olive Oil Pomade-Daily Moisturizer
Safflower/Grapeseed Oils

What do you think? Good start?

tiffers

^^^ Sounds like a plan! :grin:

Be sure to come back and update us on how your hair's doing!!!

PJaye

I would like to make a few suggestions, if I may. If at all possible, I recommend adding the following products given their accessibility, decent price points, ingredient lists and efficacy:

- At least one other moisturizing DC. Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Hair Conditioner would be a great choice, especially since the 32oz bottle costs approximately $12 (ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Quaternium-18, Olive Fruit Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Centrimonium Bromide, Coconut Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Biotin, Vitamin F, Avocado Oil, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, Parfum, Benzophenone-4, Hydrolyzed Silk, Mint Balm Extract, Tea Tree Leaf Extract, Ginseng Root Extract, Yellow 5)

- A clarifying/chelating shampoo to remove product build up and the mineral deposits that are left behind by hard water. ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo is also a good choice given its ability to clarify, chelate and neutralize; it also will not dry the hair out while doing its job (ingredients: Water, Ammonium Laurel Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Lauramide DEA, Laurel Glucoside, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Trideceth-7, Carboxilic Acid, PPG-5 Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Olive Fruit Oil, Centrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Sulfated Castor Oil, Lecithin, Propylene Glycol, PEG-12 Oleate, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide-MEA Glycol Distearate, Laureth-10, Cetyl Triethylmonium Dimethicone PEG-8 Succinate, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Glycerin, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Lilial, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Propyl Paraben , Silicone Quaternium-2 Panthenol Succinate, Disodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Green 3, Yellow 5)

- A moisturizing leave-in conditioner. As I Am Naturally Leave-In Conditioner has proven to be a great product (ingredients: Purified Water, Coconut, Amla, Cetyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Phytosterols, Saw Palmetto Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Propylene Glycol, Apple Fruit Extract, Lemon Peel Extract, Sugar Cane Stalk Extract, Beet Root, BTMS, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance, Limonene)

All of the aforementioned products can be found at Sally’s.:yep: Both safflower and grapeseed are wonderfully light, nutritive oils; and I love them. And, to echo tiffers' sentiments, please come back and let us know how things are working out for ya (I love me some updates and pictures).:lol:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Welcome SGrayVH! Everyone else beat me to my suggestions and thread links, but I surely hope you can find a deep conditioner that your hair likes soon.

Remember, healthy hair = moisture + protein in balance. When you find this balance, your hair will be strong and pliable. :)

ETA: Another inexpensive moisturizer you can try is S-Curl... yes, that S-Curl! My relaxed hair loved it while protective styling.

SGrayVH

These are the photos of my poor hair..Do you see how badly I needed your help??? These make me wanna cry :sad::perplexed:cry:

sunnieb

SGrayVH - It'll be ok. You are here to get your hair on track and you will.

When was your last relaxer? What brand do you use? Are you relaxed at a salon or self-relaxed?

SGrayVH

My last relaxer was on Feb 25th. I normally do it myself. I use Silk Elements MegaSilk-No Lye. Ive always tried to make sure I stretch my relaxers to 8 weeks so I dont overlap. Im not sure what happen this time.:ohwell:

sunnieb

@SGrayVH - I'm no hair expert, but let's figure out an action plan before you relax again. :yep:

Looks like 8 weeks post relaxer will put you right at next Saturday, April 21.

If I were in your shoes, here's what I'd do:

Moisturize 2x daily
Seal with light oil at night only

4/14 - Wash with moisturizing shampoo and do a deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Airdry if possible.

4/16 - Cowash with a moisturizing conditioner. Airdry.

4/18 (preparing hair for relaxer) - wash thoroughly with clarifying shampoo; wash with moisturizing shampoo; deep condition with protein conditioner (if you have time do another deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner). Airdry.

4/21 - Relaxer day! :grin:

Here are the steps I take to relax my hair:
http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2011/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

Here's how I airdry:
http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2010/how-i-air-dry-my-hair/how-i-air-dry-my-hair/

Join us in the relaxed hair buddy thread for additional tips:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=606681

ETA: I also recommend you get a professional trim (by a non-scissor happy stylist :look:) to get started on making your ends healthier.

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@SGrayVH - think the ladies have pointed you in the right direction thus I don't have much else to add. My opinion is that you need to lay off the protein and up your moisture. Stop using the phony pony if possible and give your hair a break.

tiffers

SGrayVH Don't fret. Many of us (including me) started out our journeys with hair in horrible condition. It will only get better from here. :grin:

SGrayVH

Thanks guys! I will let you know how it turns out. I will be going for a consultation with a new *non-happy scissor toting* stylist on Thursday who Im told is ALL about helping clients grow their hair.

sunnieb-Thank you so much for helping me come up with a game plan. I was terrified about relaxing my hair! :notworthy

divachyk-Girl I appreciate what your input. I need all the help I can get.:lol:

tiffers-Thank you for the encouragement!:grin:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
You're welcome SGrayVH, let me just add that protein isn't bad but it can complicate an already complicated situation if you do not understand what your hair is lacking, desiring and needing which is why I say lay off the protein for now. When you incorporate it in the future, I would slowly add it back into the regimen to see how your hair responds to ensure your hair is protein tolerant.

growinstrong

I'm confused, is the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioner a moisturizing condish, a reconstructor or both? And if its a reconstructor, should a moisturing condish follow it?

Okay so I needed a good :hammer: to get me back on track and I truly appreciate it because without it I may have ended up causing more damage to my hair.

Soooo....Ive decided to go with these products:

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo & Intensive Conditioner
Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol-DC
Hollywoord Beauty Olive Oil Pomade-Daily Moisturizer
Safflower/Grapeseed Oils

What do you think? Good start?

chevere62

Have you considered trying to go natural? Maybe the stress from the chemicals in the relaxers is causing your hair to break. I understand if this is not an option for you.