A New Henna Thread

Does anyone henna in sections or twists? Combing my loose hair after this process is a bear!

Sections. I divide my hair in 4 sections and split each of those sections in 3rd's while applying the henna. It can get a bit cumbersome with long and/or thick hair. I use clips to keep my sections out of the way.

tamikachu =] said:
So I made the mistake of adding cinnamon cassia EO to my mix. Sweet Lord my head is on fire! :burning::pullhair:

Oh no! Get some sour cream and slather it on your scalp. Use the full fat kind

Has anyone tried the Red Raj henna powder from Henna Sook and if so how is the colour intensity and application working for you? It has the highest lawsome content I've seen so I'm interested in that. Also for those that also do protein treatments, how do you work your henna around that?

http://www.hennasooq.com/red-raj/

I have 5 boxes of it. I used one on myself and one on DD. You HAVE to use the pantyhose to strain out the veins. It had the worst rinse out everrrrrrrrr IF YOU DON'T! Ughhhhh

The color was not worth the drama for me. I have natural jet black hair and DD dark dark brown. Her color was redder but still not worth the drama! It all depends on the color of your hair when you henna. If you have brown hair you will have a different result.

I have used jamila, Rajasthani jasmine/henna for African hair and red raj.

Fhrizzball

Last edited:
I have 5 boxes of it. I used one on myself and one on DD. You HAVE to use the pantyhose to strain out the veins. It had the worst rinse out everrrrrrrrr IF YOU DON'T! Ughhhhh

The color was not worth the drama for me. I have natural jet black hair and DD dark dark brown. Her color was redder but still not worth the drama! It all depends on the color of your hair when you henna. If you have brown hair you will have a different result.

I have used jamila, Rajasthani jasmine/henna for African hair and red raj.

@Fhrizzball

HanaKuroi

By veins do you mean twigs and debris? Thanks I usually go with regular Rajasthani when I used to henna but now that I'm starting up again, I'm interested in trying something new. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. May just order a sample of the Red Raj and see how that works out for me.

Fhrizzball not twigs but veins from the leaves. I think she ordered a new sifter, so it may be better now. You can't pick these out like twigs they are small, white veins almost 2mm long. You have to rinse forever and the next day.

Question: Ladies when you do a new henna session do you put it on your whole head? Or on just your roots/ unhenna'd hair?

I use it all over. Though I don't do it for the color for the most part, the grays I have usually fade to an orange color after a while. If I'm doing indigo, I have to put it all over anyway.

I mean henna aint expensive, but the good stuff aint cheap neither.

It depends on where you get it from. Thankfully I can get it on the ground. Jamila is about $6 and there other brand I used (forgot the name of in - green box) was $4. I henna about once a month give or take. If I do a heavy henna gloss like I did last night, one box lasts me 2 uses depending on how much I put in it.

The last few times i've done henna, i've had a hard time rinsing it all out. I start by just standing under the water for a good 10 minutes until the bulk of the stuff is out, then I cowash with an entire bottle of conditioner rinsing maybe 8 times. The water is running clear when i'm finished but when I get out I notice orange drips all over the floor and my towel so I rinse with water some more. I have orange on my hair elastics and my cowashes for the next week or so turn the conditioner orange.

I think maybe I have hard water buildup and it's not sticking to my hair properly? I shampoo and then apply my henna to naked hair. I used to mix in oils but this time I used only water hoping it would solve this problem, but it hasn't.

leiah said:
The last few times i've done henna, i've had a hard time rinsing it all out. I start by just standing under the water for a good 10 minutes until the bulk of the stuff is out, then I cowash with an entire bottle of conditioner rinsing maybe 8 times. The water is running clear when i'm finished but when I get out I notice orange drips all over the floor and my towel so I rinse with water some more. I have orange on my hair elastics and my cowashes for the next week or so turn the conditioner orange.

I think maybe I have hard water buildup and it's not sticking to my hair properly? I shampoo and then apply my henna to naked hair. I used to mix in oils but this time I used only water hoping it would solve this problem, but it hasn't.

I think certain conditioners cause this. I am trying to remember which one caused the most problems. I don't use VO5 anymore. I think I used suave eternal sunshine? Nooooo. I think I have been rinsing with tresseme naturals.

I have recently changed my whole henna regimen.

I now clarify my hair just before a henna application, and after rinsing out the henna for a few minutes in the shower, I would add some kind of sulfate-free moisturizing shampoo (KC Hydrating Detangling poo or Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo), deep protein condition with KC Restorative Mask, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner, for example, DE Stimulations Moisturizing conditioner.

Since starting this new method, my hair gets immediately soft and I don't have any color fading nor the small henna grains coming out of my hair long after I'm done washing it out. I will do this again in 2 weeks and see if my hair still responds the same way.

Wow leiah! Your siggieeeeee! :drool: I can only imagine what it must be like to rinse henna out of that gorgeous mane!

FWIW, I rinse about half as many times and get tinted water for a week after. However, there's no staining or my elastics or anything. I use a cleansing condish and NOT a moisturizing one until I get the majority out. IDK if that makes a diff. I hear VO5 has a clarifying condish. IDK if that would make the diff.

I only rinsed with water this time. I decided to use Rajasthani jasmine/henna fir African Hair instead of Jamila. It didn't take long. I think it rinsed much easier than the Jamila. I rinsed, braided and went to bed. I thought my hair would be hard this morning. It is soft and it isn't dry. I will dc with vanilla silk fir several hours today. I will use qBCTDG as my leave in.

I rinse first, do a quick co-wash, rinse again, then I dunk my whole head into the kitchen sink full of water or the bath-tub and swirl my hair around under water, I'm always surprised at what I find at the bottom of the sink/tub. I do this twice to make sure I got it all out. This has greatly improved my henna washout experience.

Anyone with natural ink black hair henna with out color change?

I want to henna but I'm broke right now so I can't but henna and indigo online. There aren't any Indian grocers here so I can't but locally. I also have henna that I brought back with me from India to do body art with. I can just use that but have hesitated since I don't have indigo.

I don't want any color deposit, I want my hair to stay ink black.

Also how much henna are tall using for what length of hair? Online most if the henna sites say 100g for 3inches of hair. But when I watch YouTube vids the 100g seems to cover more hair then what the sites say

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Last edited:
I have natural ink black hair. I never had highlights even in the sun. Now that I use henna I have highlights when the sun is behind me in certain light. It looks ink black inside and outside. Why not test a lock? I was afraid of color change too.

I have natural ink black hair. I never had highlights even in the sun. Now that I use henna I have highlights when the sun is behind me in certain light. It looks ink black inside and outside. Why not test a lock? I was afraid of color change too.

This might sound crazy, but I didn't even think of doing a test patch lol. I would have to test a patch of hair in the front though, no way of hiding it if it doesn't turn out right though lol

Mz.MoMo5235 said:
This might sound crazy, but I didn't even think of doing a test patch lol. I would have to test a patch of hair in the front though, no way of hiding it if it doesn't turn out right though lol

I think I did a test area in the beginning. It wasn't noticeable. The sun has to hit the back of your head like a halo of light. I use 100 grams. My hair is longer than collarbone length. I don't have thick hair.

I am allergic to hair dye and I had a couple of hairs I was tired of plucking. I also was interested in the curl loosening and strengthening affects.

That's good to know that 100 grams goes so far. I thought it should but all the websites said other wise.

I hope the henna doesn't loosen my pattern though.

It depends on how small your curls are. It also takes several applications to loosen. You can mix alma powder in your henna to make sure the henna doesn't loosen your curls.

I already have a large curl pattern so I don't want to risk loosening it up.

Mz.MoMo5235 were you the one in INDIA AND FELL AND HIT HER HEAD because Of THE WATER THEY THREW ALL OVER YOUR FLOOR WHEN THEY WERE CLEANING?????

Last edited:
Back