A lesson learned

virgogrlnxtdr

Hey fine haired ladies I would like to share with you a hard lesson I learned today. After 12 weeks strong I finally cracked and got a relaxer thank God I did. Let me tell you I broke my hair dressers comb when she was applying it. After the relaxer and treatment she went to set my hair and broke it down to me. She told me that my hair was ripped not breaking and that I had completely took two steps back to the progress I had made all summer. So she did some trimming and I am back to wear I started.I realized that those cheap and dramatic was /sets/and blowdry combo by the dominicans jacked up my hair.So for all you fine haired ladies pass on the blowdry and stick with the wash and set. I realized since I left her and went to the dominicans while at school I made several mistakes which I will fix as my new year's resolutions.

1. NO BLOWDRYERS
2. NO BRUSHES
3. DO THE DAMN CONDITIONER WASHES
4. WASH AND DEEP TREAT WEKLY
5. DON'T BE A HERO GET THE RELAXER EVERY 6-8 WEEKS
6. USE THE SATIN BONNET FAITHFULLY
7. SUCK IT UP AND TAKE THOSE VITAMINS EVERY DAY

Well that is my lesson learned and just that I would share it with you.

katie

Thanks for sharing.About stretching relaxers out I don't think I would want to go longer than 8 weeks

Miosy

Sorry to hear about your set back. My best advise for you when you are stretching out a relaxer is to never try to combing through the new growth because at 12 weeks my hair would break at the line of demarcation. What your hair dresser should have done is part your hair using the point of the comb and applied the relaxer w/o combing through until the new growth soften up (I'm not sure if she did this).
You have a wonderful resolution plan. It sounds like your hair will catch up in no time.
Best of luck
Miosy

cutebajangirl

Yeah I just did something similar to my hair this past fall. The blow dry option is not for fine hair ladies. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it), I realized the difference after 3 consecutive wash set and blow. (Apparently I am a very slow learner.) My hair just can't handle it.

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good one....

I, too, am sorry to hear about your set-back. You live and you learn...so kudos for that ==thumbs up===

aqualung

Same here, ladies.

Virgogrlnxtdr, if your new growth broke a comb during the touch up, the hairdresser might be combing your roots too roughly. My stylist was thinning my hair by raking/ripping/jerking the small toothed comb through the new growth when the lye was applied. (The longer I stretched out relaxers, the more new growth and the more violence in ripping through to straighten it in the allotted time.) I had to decide how thin I was willing to go for relaxed hair. I now texturize at home just pinching the relaxer through and not combing through it. I haven't perfected the technique yet, but I'll figure it out.

Stretching out relaxers doesn't work for me until I finger detangled exclusively -- new growth and relaxed hair.

My stylist ripped through my fine, delicate wet hair with a fine toothed comb when he would encounter a tangle. I'd rather take the time at home to pick tangles apart.

Brushing is out of the question, as I air dry (or blow dry til damp without combing).

I use the satin bonnets and pillowcases.

I had to quit the Jilbere shower comb because my hair is weakest when wet. I was just ripping it out in the shower.

Overall my fine hair has much less tensile strength than my mom and sister's coarse hair.

NAY007

I can't believe that your stylist broke the comb...how hard was she pulling??? I mean to break a comb you have to put some strength into it right?
I have fine 3b/c hair but I have a lot, so some people mistake that as "thick" hair. I never had a problem with blow drying or roller setting. My hair likes both. Also when it comes to stretching the relaxers....I would relax my hair hmmmm I think it was about 4 or 3 times a year. I can't believe that I can't remember. But anyway, I think, and this is usually my conclusion..it always always depends on your hairtype on what you should do or shouldn't do, and what products to use and what not to use.
I'm sorry to hear that you had to get rid of a couple of inches but they will grow back fast. Especially with that routine that you posted. It sounds great to me:)

GodMadeMePretty

I, too, am curious to know how she could break a comb. Why does she need to comb the relaxer through anyway if your hair is fine? She could have just smoothed with her hands or the back of a comb. Straightening comes through pulling the hair straight while you relax and you can pull without using a comb. I have coarse thick hair and have done my relaxers at home and I have never combed through - NEVER!

I agree with megonw - your hair was probably ripped because she ripped it. Did she say it was ripped BEFORE she put the relaxer in or was it after? Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Stylists will do anything to get you to come to them more often. I would stay away from the blow-dryers. I never really used them because they took waaaaay too much of my time. Air-drying was the thing and now that I've discovered my 2 1/2-inch rollers, rollersetting is now the thing.

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds kinda fishy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. You know your hair best - but I think YOUR observations are what's most useful to you in this situation -not your stylists.

Anyone who can break a comb (which she shouldn't be using the teeth of - so how the hair catches in the comb enough to break it is hard to see) while applying a relaxer is suspect to me. I'm also a fine haired girl and I don't see anyway this is possble to do without MEANING to.

I'm glad you saw some things that you think you could fix - improvements are always good - but I'd take your stylist's observations with a grain of salt. I think she was trying to "prove" your hair was damaged so could she cut down on your styling "infidelity". If she convinces you someone else affirmatively damaged your hair then you'll never trust ANYONE but her to do it....

Sounds like the typical stylist willy-bo-bo

Be careful.

I'm also a fine haired.

KathyMay

[ QUOTE ]
virgogrlnxtdr said:
. I realized since I left her and went to the dominicans while at school I made several mistakes which I will fix as my new year's resolutions.

1. NO BLOWDRYERS
2. NO BRUSHES
3. DO THE DAMN CONDITIONER WASHES
4. WASH AND DEEP TREAT WEKLY
6. USE THE SATIN BONNET FAITHFULLY
7. SUCK IT UP AND TAKE THOSE VITAMINS EVERY DAY

Well that is my lesson learned and just that I would share it with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!!

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
I have fine 3b/c hair but I have a lot, so some people mistake that as "thick" hair.[/quote}

Wait, you can have fine thick hair. Here are the contrasts: fine/coarse for each individual strand and thick/thin for the collection of strands on your head. So you can have fine&thin, fine&thick, coarse&thin, coarse&thick. I think I have fine&thick 4a hair (now that I'm natural again and utilizing proper moisturizing techniques, I can evaluate my hair alot better).

I used to think that my hair was thin because my hair wouldn't hold much weight with relaxers. But I now know that the relaxers just broke down my already fine individual strands that my hair was life-less.

queenofmean68

Lesson #5 is so very true! I don't know how in the world some of the ladies on this board can go 10----12-----16 weeks post relaxer. I have fine hair and I get a touch up every 6 weeks(I'm delaying my next touch up by one week because I'm attending a gala and I want to look super fresh)
Plus how in the world do they "slick" back those unruly edges and hide the BB's in the kitchen????

firecracker

Don't feel bad. I had a horrible hair experience too with Dominician salons. Too much heat and not enough conditioning for my hair type. After a touch up my hair was stuck to the side of my head,scalp dry and flaky for 6 months after (right after a wash) and was shedding due to them overprocessing my very resilient hair.
My Cali stylist got me back on track w/hot oil treatments, deep conditioning and clear cellophanes for shine. I am currently doing my own rollersets w/o heat between hair appointments. It's going really good so far.:) I do miss their expertise in rolling the hair fast and tight.

firecracker

LOL, about the bb's comment. Girl, everybody doesn't get bb's like Pam on Martin. If I go past 9 weeks my scalp hurts so bad, it wakes me out of my sleep. Now thats when the bb's are trying to come out and the scalp is fighting the kinks.

Vanilla

Ladies I have a ?

Could you define fine hair. I considered my 4a/b hair to be fine. When I went for my last touch-up in December my stylist informed me that white peoples hair is fine and I have medium/coarse hair. Please clarify this for me. TIA

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Lesson #5 is so very true! I don't know how in the world some of the ladies on this board can go 10----12-----16 weeks post relaxer. I have fine hair and I get a touch up every 6 weeks(I'm delaying my next touch up by one week because I'm attending a gala and I want to look super fresh)
Plus how in the world do they "slick" back those unruly edges and hide the BB's in the kitchen????

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very fine haired. I had a touch up after waiting from May to November. My technique involved, deep conditioning a lot, sectioning my hair and washing and conditioning each section separately (you've got to set aside a lot of time and pamper the hair), I never combed when dry, if I had to, I applied redken's anti snap leave in to both hair and comb prior to combing, kept the ends moisturized a lot and brushed the top for the slick look with an old tooth brush (never let anyone see me doing that
) and tied hair w/scarf to get it to lie low.
My hair gained volume. Too frequent touch up will thin fine hair the more.
P.s
My hair in it's natural state is capable of comb-breaking. It happened once in boarding school because a senior student thought I never combed my hair due to the unruly coils/kinks that formed right after combing it when wet.

GodMadeMePretty

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all in how you handle your hair. It will be 26 weeks on Saturday since my last relaxer. My edges are "slicked" back with a scarf and moisturizer.

My two nape sides (bbs)have grown considerably since my last relaxer so that I just twist those two little parts and have ringlets if I want. That area is finer than the rest and I'm sure the frequent relaxers are the cause of it not ever getting to any length. That area is already 3 inches long now which is longer than it's ever been. And the rest of my hair is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from brastrap. I want my nape/bbs to catch up and infrequent relaxing is helping it get there.

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
Vanilla said:
Ladies I have a ?

Could you define fine hair. I considered my 4a/b hair to be fine. When I went for my last touch-up in December my stylist informed me that white peoples hair is fine and I have medium/coarse hair. Please clarify this for me. TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Your stylist is wrong any texture can be fine or course. This relates to the circumference of the strand.
I noticed on another thread Tracy that you had committed to not combing when wet (except when setting) and now I see Megonow has come to the same conclusion too. I too have realized that combing fine hair when wet is a big no-no. I have committed to combing only when dry and well oiled/moisturized. I can't imagine how she broke the comb in your head but it is possible to get your hair ripped out when blowing cause it happened to me. Also for those of you who are trying hairdressers with the very fine tooth comb bring your own and the damage will be less. I went to sunshines on 105th and Columbus that CCD recomended today and I brought my own comb and the hair that was taken out was 95% less.

lunalight7

My stylist used to do the rollerset/blowout thing every time I went to him. I loved the way it looked. However, since joining this board in May, I now get rollersets and wraps to loosen up the curl a bit. I only blow out the curls when I want to check my length after a touchup...

karezone

She could have used a wide toothed rat tail comb. I have a few that I bought from sally's instead of combing througth the new growth with the fine toothed comb she could have used the wide toothed comb first and then the fine if she wanted to make it straighter.

DragonPearl

How can you break a comb on fine hair? On thick coarse hair maybe, but on fine hair?

Virgo, I hate to sound so negative and anti-stylist, but like some of the other posters, I am suspicious of the stylist's motives. Look at it this way, what would happen if the majority of women waited much longer between touch ups? Hairdressers would make only about half of the money they are making now. Simple economics. It is not in HER best interest that you wait between touch ups.

I agree with the rest of your resolutions, especially the one regarding no blow dry. My fine hair can't take blowdrying.