"STRAIGHT" Naturals and Transitioners

-PYT

I'm glad this thread was started...
Hey ladies, I am still in a relaxer-type mindset (hehe) and there's rain in the forecast. I want to straighten tonight, but there is mild rain in the forecast for tomorrow...should I keep it wrapped all day long? lol

TIA

BostonMaria

I decided to go natural because I absolutely LOOOVE curly hair

What I didn't know was that I was also going to fall in love with how nice my straightened hair looks too. I go back and forth depending on my mood or the weather. I straightened in September and have been wearing it curly for like 6 weeks.

I plan on going back to weekly rollersets in the winter time.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Right now I'm transitioning for 2 reasons - length and as a personal justification to keep my daighter unrelaxed for as long as possible.

My curls are cool I guess but I never wear curly styles. I bun 80% of the time.

poookie

i love the coils and kinks of my roots, but i do plan on straightening & doing regular mini chopTrims during my transition. i can't wait until my hair is versatile enough to wear straightened one day, & wear in a natural updo the next :yep:

PinkSkates

Right now I'm transitioning for 2 reasons - length and as a personal justification to keep my daighter unrelaxed for as long as possible.

My curls are cool I guess but I never wear curly styles. I bun 80% of the time.

That's what I'm talking about! Lead by example...congratulations!:clap:

cutenss

I am natural and love straight hair. That is a reason why I to BKT(Brazillian Keratin Treatment). To keep heat to only when I do the treatment, which is once a month, I do ponytail rollerset. I just roll after I cowash, DC etc. I don't even sit under the dryer. Just air dry overnight. :yep:

ChristmasCarol

I am natural and love straight hair. That is a reason why I to BKT(Brazillian Keratin Treatment). To keep heat to only when I do the treatment, which is once a month, I do ponytail rollerset. I just roll after I cowash, DC etc. I don't even sit under the dryer. Just air dry overnight. :yep:

Good idea! What kind of rollers do you use? What do you use to band the ponytail?

LiberianGirl

I like the versatility of natural hair and that's one of the reasons I decided to go natural. Right now, I am concentrating being knot/tangle free so that I can reach my goal length. Heat is not a problem for me, as I transitioned using heat and made it to BSL. I plan on wearing my hair mostly straight during the winter months and early spring, but after that it just won't make sense to straighten as much due to the humid summers in my area.

BostonMaria

Does anyone wrap their hair after straitening? I need to learn how to maintain my strait look.

If I apply shea butter to my hair, wrap it (doobie) and slap on a satin cap my hair will come out straight the next morning.

If I wear it up in a high bun (pineapple) my hair will come out with waves and have body.

LovingMe87

I'm in the beginning of my transition but when I'm natural I plan on keeping my hair straight during the cooler months and semi straight in the warmer months so that my braid/twist outs are stretched out. During my last 2 transitions I found out that my hair is really coily and curly and I get single strand knots too easily! I'd rather not deal with them so I think keeping my hair straight/semi straight will be the best for me to retain length.

blessedandlucky

i plan to be a straight natural. judging from my new growth (i realize it may not be completely accurate), i have no discernible curl pattern:( or else it's in patches. i'm only 8 weeks post (just decided i'm not relaxing anymore - this when i usually do) and will use a blowdryer to get it straight. i'll return to the ol' time straightening comb - i still have the one my grandmother used when i was younger! - when i get more new growth. i'm also going in braids for few weeks to help with the transition. if i can get to 16 weeks post, i think i can stick to it...

onejamifan

How are you ladies keeping your hair straight? I mean, how long does your hair stay straight after using heat? Right now, I am able to get my roots semi-straight (I'm afraid of applying too much heat) and it lasts for a few days. If I work out though, it lasts just a few minutes!

How are you keeping your hair from reverting after flat ironing???

ajoyfuljoy

i plan to be a straight natural. judging from my new growth (i realize it may not be completely accurate), i have no discernible curl pattern:( or else it's in patches. i'm only 8 weeks post (just decided i'm not relaxing anymore - this when i usually do) and will use a blowdryer to get it straight. i'll return to the ol' time straightening comb - i still have the one my grandmother used when i was younger! - when i get more new growth. i'm also going in braids for few weeks to help with the transition. if i can get to 16 weeks post, i think i can stick to it...

something to encourage you...the part of my hair that is 4b stays straight a whole lot easier than the coily parts. So since you want to be a straight natural, the fact that you don't have a strong curl pattern might work in your favor :yep:

How are you ladies keeping your hair straight? I mean, how long does your hair stay straight after using heat? Right now, I am able to get my roots semi-straight (I'm afraid of applying too much heat) and it lasts for a few days. If I work out though, it lasts just a few minutes!

You know, I think it is all in the products but that is just me.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
I plan to wear my hair mainly unstraightened once fully natural

So far I have flatironed once or twice a month. I am trying to not flatiron until the holidays, so I am going to lightly stretch the roots with a ceramic tourmaline blowdryer then pin it up.

How are you ladies keeping your hair straight? I mean, how long does your hair stay straight after using heat?

I sweat in my head. -My flatiron lasts 2 weeks
I use sabino and flatiron (sedu@bet 320-360) only to the demarcation
I oil my scalp and lightly "moisturize with coconut based or lighter oil based oil mixtures as needed in between. the trick for me is not to let it dry out.
When at home or before exercising I do 2 plaits and do not take them down until everything is dried.
I sleep on a silk pillowcase in a hair net.

In other words, I keep my hair "held down" so it discourages it poofing up.

tuffCOOKiE

If I had curls, I would prob wear them. but my hair is just 'z' shaped soo.. i might as well just straighten it out and not look like a poofy mess

Khaiya

I'm gonna be a straight natural! I've been mulling it over for a few months and i've decided to try and transition by keeping my hair straight and i'll continue it when i'm natural. Great thread! I didnt realize until recently that this was such a popular thing to do, i always thought all hair board ladies shied away from heat.

Whimsy

I'm a sometimes straight natural :)
I wash / DC / airdry in braids / maxiglide
The only product I use is coconut oil

To keep my hair from puffing after a sweaty workout, I put my hair up on top of my head in a tight bun, and i don't take it down until well after my workout when everything is dry. that helps.

Mz.Shug

I've been transitioning for 7 months in straight style.Once a week I'd wash w/OCT or Mega-tek and then do a moisturizing DC, blowdry on LOW HEAT using PinkSkates tension pull method and then use the Instyler on medium setting. OF COURSE LOTS OF HEAT PROTECTANT!!!!! Know what I'm finally retaining!!!!! I see now that relaxers are a HUGE NONO for my fine hair.Since I started trans. my hair is getting thicker too!

After going to CurlyNikki.com and seeing all of the natural styles I'm thinking of trying some of them.I'm also bumping up my hair game by limiting heat to 1 every two weeks and adding Ayurveda to my reggie.

BTW it's probably already been said but if your going to be straight natural I'd highly recommend looking up posts by PinkSkates.I think I would have had a harder journey without her tips and techs.HTH and good luck ladies!

**Edit to add! To maintain straightness.Wrap hair at nigh(A MUST)rollersets with little setting lotion and pin curls!!

Last edited:

sharifeh

:nicethread:

I want to transition as soon as I get the hang of long stretches, it's nice to see so many straightened naturals. straight hair rocks!!! :grin:

Whimsy

:nicethread:

I want to transition as soon as I get the hang of long stretches, it's nice to see so many straightened naturals. straight hair rocks!!! :grin:

A long stretch is simply the beginning of your transition...why not give it a try? :)

SunnyHoney

Great thread, OP!

Good to hear I'm not alone. I plan on being straight for 90-95% of the time during my transition and 80-90% of the time after fully natural. I love the natural curls, and I'm looking forward to rockin' them occasionally, but I'm gonna need some serious length before that eva happens!

I chose to transition for the health of my hair, it's never felt weaker or thinner than it has in the last 2 years. So I just one day decided to stop!

Not to go OT, but since the question was raised:

I would HIGHLY suggest trying Mizani Thermasmooth 4-part product line. It's a shampoo, conditioner, serum, and spritz. But I think the real magic is in the serum and spritz. Yes the spritz has alcohol...booo:naughty:...but, it seems to do some magic dance with the serum and together they have more of a shining effect rather than a drying one!

I'm only 8 weeks into transition, but have a lot of ng, and this stuff got my hair straighter than any relaxer ever has. I'd recommend using the serum even if you don't blowdry. I tried it with a rollerset and it made my hair dry super fast and smooth, then spritz with the flatiron and it's like perm straight. I experienced no reversion at all! I usually wash every week, but waited 2 weeks after I first used it to see if my hair would revert and it didn't. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!:grin:

HTH!

LadyRaider

I've been rotating between straight and not throughout my transition. Lately though I have really mastered the braid out and get lots of compliments so I've been doing more of those. For the next month I'm going to try to keep my hands out of my hair so the plan is to braid it up and wear wigs.

Until I got the argan oil at Sally's and really figured out "moisturize and seal," my ends were very dry unless they were straightened.

My hair stays pretty straight once flat ironed. I use a smoothing shampoo. I have the Mizani stuff but my hair doesn't seem to like it. I have some straightening heat protectant from Redken that works well.

Last edited:

KiSseS03

i'm a straight transitioner. its just easier to manage my hair, and i get less breakage and knots if i keep my hair straight. when i was completely natural it was easy to manage my hair and i didn't have those knots and tangles. so the straight hair is just for the transition. i understand why some naturals prefer to be straight though. its just so thick and healthy and can be just a straight as relaxed hair without the damage. i definitely plan on rocking my natural hair straight sometimes.
This is me 100%; braidouts and twistouts on my hair at this point are more trouble than they're worth, as my hair ends up tangling and knotting, due to the very drastic difference between my natural texture and my relaxed hair. So my main style right now is rollersets to straighten, and some weeks I lightly flat-iron the roots.

Once I'm fully natural I will embrace my texture, because it's less work than roller-setting and straighening, and I actually prefer the kinky-curly look most days. Also IME, straightening fully natural hair is much harder than partially relaxed hair, because I will no longer have those straight ends to way down the natural.