3 Strand twists - first attempt!! Help!!

TemiLnd

Hello ladies,
I tried to do 3 strand twists on my natural hair but I don't think it turned out right. They seemed to be more coils than 3 strand twists. :wallbash: Can you guys shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. Check out my fotki for more pics. Thank you

P1250983.jpg
P1260987.jpg

Nonie

My first attempt was my last one. Too time consuming and just a recipe for tangles for me. What's worse, the results didn't look as good as my two-strand twists so I'm a two-strander for life! Therefore, I'm not the right person to give tips.

However, Pokahontas made a thread where she showed a video of how she does them. Maybe you can learn something from her: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=270307

TemiLnd

what is the point of doing this, it just looks like a 2 strand twist?

Supposedly at takedown, the twists are more defined.

Thats what I was told. The twists a a bit fatter too. I may have to wait till my hair is a bit longer to see the difference.
Thank you for the thoughts ladies and the videos.

I agree Nonie, 2 strand may just be better and it doesnt take as long. :ohwell:

Miss AJ

I tried a 3 strand twist once and i like the way it looks but my fingers are programmed to braid when they are holding 3 strands lol so it would be too time consuming for me for that reason alone.

Mook's hair

They hold a little tighter & longer (especially if you have hair that poofs)

But they do take longer.
When you look at them side by side next to a two strand twist, you can clearly see the difference.

they are also helpful when you're doing a flat cornrow that you want to end in a hanging twist because you already have 3 strands.

OP, I'm gonna look in your fotki to see if I can determine what went wrong but my guess is that you didn't really twirl each strand as you were twisting, I have a sort of demonstration of that method in my fotki videos but it wasn't with 3 strands it was 2...same theory though.

I will try to post a 3 strand twist tutorial soon because they work well for me when I do them.

1god1

I was getting ready to say the exact same thing. I tried the 3-strand twist only once. After making your observation, I decided to just stick with a two-strand twist