3.5 inches of breakage a year?

kooskoos

I started doing my hair soon after noon. almost 12 hours later, its still not done and I'm in tears. I just dont know what to do with it anymore. I took te twits down one by one and detangled, removed shed hair, and retwisted. That was Saturday. Today after church I washed with Avbalon organcis lavendar shampoo then used the VO5 clarfying conditioner. I noiced there was still tons of build up on my scalp so I used the VO% clarifying shampoo. That got my scalp clean finally. I put on Earth Organics DC while I showered and shaved. I finished with Roux porosity control conditioner. I took the twists while still damp and put them into bantu knots to dry. I sat outside for several hours so the wind cold help dry it. 8 hours later, all but the roots were dry. By this time I had a considerable nuumber of locs in my hair. my hair locs when I wash it in twists. I had to spend time fighting to unravel the twit-locs and detangle while trying not to break off too mand of my ends. I got most of the right side of my head done. I added Redken Butter Treat as a moiturizer because myhair felt dry and hard. I tried to part my hair but its so tangly that every half inch I had to stop and untangle that section before moving on. It took me over 20 mins just to put a part going straight back. Now that I'm done, the part I want to braid is full of tangles. I wont be able to cornrow with tangles like this. I'll have to detangle for the 3rd time now in 2 days. I can't take this anymore. This is exactly why I started blow drying. I can't spend 8+ hours on my hair weekly, only to have the session end with my in tears and sobbing into my pillow. Why does it have to be this hard? Every time I did my hair in the fall it ended with me crying. I had to choose between shaving my head or getting a blowdryer. I can't have an emotional breakdown every time I do my hair. I've given up on my hair for the night. Im ging to fight thru the rest of the twist-locs on the other side of my head, then try to pull my hair into one. I hopw I can do a bun or atleast a puff for work tomorrow

:ohwell: You're really gonna make me cry! I honestly used to go through the same thing. My hair isn't as tightly curled as yours, but I used to run my hands through my hair and get pieces on my hands. And every time I combed out my hair there would be pieces on the floor, which would make me cry too...do you comb your hair out when it's dry?

AfroKink

ITA with this. Her deep conditioner is thick with oil and the lotion creme moisturizer moisturizes like no other.

I may get blasted for this but have you thought of lightly relaxing you hair? It might help

:dead:I'm no expert either, but I was going to suggest maybe texlaxing? :dead:
No chemicals for me!:nono:

I haven't tried Cathy Howse. I tend to favor products I can buy in person versus having to order online, but I'll investigate it. Thanks!

My hair was inherently dry until I started using Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I LOVE this stuff because even though it's water-based, it doesn't cause shrinkage. I also use Elasta QP Mango Butter. It has a silicone in it, but it really moisturizes my hair. And after I moisturize I always use coconut oil to seal.

Also have you thought about using henna? It really helped me to retain length.

I tried Henna once and it was hard to get the little particles out of my hair. Since I only tried it that once, I can't really speak about any results.

Water-based, but doesn't cause shrinkage? Sounds awesome.

I did my hair lastnight. I had to detangle it AGAIN. That was the 4th time in 3 days. My hair was really angry it seems. It took me a few hours to detangle, part, and put it in three big cornrows. I bought some Motions moisturizing hairdress. I'll get the exact name when I go back home. It's water-based, has no cones and claims not to cause build-up. We'll see. Itdidn't feel very good when I was putting it in my hair. My hair and my hands felt coated and rubbery. But as it dried and the product absorbed in, it felt nice. This morning I undid the end of onr of my cornrows and my hair feels moisturized and soft. I'll put some more on today and tomorrow. I'm going to co-wash my hair Wednesday and Friday night, and redo it on Saturday morning.

My hair is still breaking. It's hard to tell how much because I've been doing my hair outside with the wind or inside with the fan. I'll keep up a high moisture regiment and see in a couple months if progress has been made. Until then, I'll continue to look for a perfect moisturizer

AfroKink

:ohwell: You're really gonna make me cry! I honestly used to go through the same thing. My hair isn't as tightly curled as yours, but I used to run my hands through my hair and get pieces on my hands. And every time I combed out my hair there would be pieces on the floor, which would make me cry too...do you comb your hair out when it's dry?

I haven't combed or brushed my hair in months...

Tami2shoes

I haven't combed or brushed my hair in months...

i have tightly coiled hair similar to yours and the no-combing thing DOES NOT work for me. are you detangling in the shower under running water? maybe you should try bigger twists when you are washing and detangling? switch to a moisturizing shampoo and deep condition more often? you have gotten so many good tips in this thread. i'm sorry you are having such a difficult time!

honestly, being on these hair boards can sometimes lead to us putting unecessary pressures on ourselves. i am a VERY slow grower... i've been natural for almost ten years now and my hair is just now reaching beyond APL because of the detangling techniques i've learned here. i see people here retaining the kind of growth in a few months that i don't get for years... i don't even compare myself to them because my hair just doesn't work that way. so don't stress your self on the growing and retaining issues right now. find a way to make that detangling process easier for yourself. the rest will follow!

quasimodi

:bighug: Sorry Alyssa. I don't know what to tell you. Definitely no more washing the hair in small twists and letting them dry. :nono: That's what lead to my cut back in August.

I think keeping your hair cornrowed or in extensions is probably your best bet. You shouldn't need all those products. If your hair continues to break off with a perfectly good low-manipulation regiment, well, maybe that's just the way it is.

Right now I'm trying something new. Cowashing in big twists. I'll let you know how that turns out. I'll be cowashing and opening up the twists in the shower and detangling a bit with my fingers each time. Like 20 twists or so. If it turns out well, I'll let you know.

That's really helped me as well. That and then denman brush (D41) getting all my shed hair out has helped with my breakage tremedously.

I just wanted to recommend a few good natural handmade moisturizers that don't have silicones in them. That way you'll avoid build up.

Qhemet Biologics Alma and Olive
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk or Hair Nectar (comes in lots of great scents)
Oyin Handmade Hemp Honey Conditioner (can be used as a moisturizing leave-in)

Are you still out of the country? If you're having a hard time finding quality products where you are, perhaps some generous person on the board would be willing to find you what you need here in the states and ship them to you. :yep: New York City seems to be the best place to pick up items (i.e. Qhemet Biologics and KBB). That way you wouldn't have to wait the 5 to 9 business days it takes for orders to be shipped out.

Keep your head up! It'll get better. :bighug:

quasimodi

i have tightly coiled hair similar to yours and the no-combing thing DOES NOT work for me. are you detangling in the shower under running water? maybe you should try bigger twists when you are washing and detangling? switch to a moisturizing shampoo and deep condition more often? you have gotten so many good tips in this thread. i'm sorry you are having such a difficult time!

honestly, being on these hair boards can sometimes lead to us putting unecessary pressures on ourselves. i am a VERY slow grower... i've been natural for almost ten years now and my hair is just now reaching beyond APL because of the detangling techniques i've learned here. i see people here retaining the kind of growth in a few months that i don't get for years... i don't even compare myself to them because my hair just doesn't work that way. so don't stress your self on the growing and retaining issues right now. find a way to make that detangling process easier for yourself. the rest will follow!

What she said! :yep:

AfroKink

Positive post for once.

When I was doing my hair last weekend it just felt longer. I checked my length and I have a small, but noticeable amount of growth retention. I guess it's due to daily moisturizing and being in the humid Caribbean. Now if I can keep it up through the end of the year:drunk:

vkb247

My heart goes out to you MissAlyssa. I also think that henna is a good idea. My 9 year old niece has hair just like yours and I think that she has the shortest hair in our family because her mom is too rough on it. I did 3 henna treatments on her hair this summer with great results. I used Jamila BAQ (silver pack) the first 2 times and Yemen henna the 3rd. I mix my henna with more water than most people do and even though the henna was easy to rinse out, the Yemen did leave some particles behind. It wasn't noticeable until you were right up in her head so we left it like that and after a swim and another wash it was all out. Nothing can strengthen hair like henna. I did 4 applications before there was a big difference in my hair. Try sifting the powder first if you can't buy henna that is triple sifted.

AfroKink

Im back in the US again and I'm finding it extremely difficult to keep my hair moisturized. I'm spritzing 3 times a day and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Within an hour or so its feeling dry again. My hair really wasn't made to me in this part of the world:nono:. I wouldnt be surprised if my retention goes back down now because I can't keep it moist.

In other news. Soft & Beautiful 2-1 conditioner detangle is fantastic! It cut my detangling time by a third! I can detangle my hair in an hour. It makes me soo happy. It has cones but they're PEG cones. I haven't notice any build up yet. If I finish the bottle without any negative effects, I'm definitetly going to stock up! Id anyone is having detangling issues, please give it a try.

The next on my "to try" list is Knot Today and KCCC. I really just want the Knot Today, but I think it was made to work with the KCCC so I'll prolly try them both.

Just had to update for anyone that's following my story

AfroKink

My heart goes out to you MissAlyssa. I also think that henna is a good idea. My 9 year old niece has hair just like yours and I think that she has the shortest hair in our family because her mom is too rough on it. I did 3 henna treatments on her hair this summer with great results. I used Jamila BAQ (silver pack) the first 2 times and Yemen henna the 3rd. I mix my henna with more water than most people do and even though the henna was easy to rinse out, the Yemen did leave some particles behind. It wasn't noticeable until you were right up in her head so we left it like that and after a swim and another wash it was all out. Nothing can strengthen hair like henna. I did 4 applications before there was a big difference in my hair. Try sifting the powder first if you can't buy henna that is triple sifted.

Where do you get the henna from? I need to research more. I remember reading about techniques to reduce the red thats deposited on the hair. My hair is already a dark reddish brown and I really dont want it any more red coloured.

AfroKink

Bumping for replies. I can't seem to moisturize my hair. I bought 4 different moisturizers in the month of July alone!Nothing seems to work here.

sunshinebeautiful

What is your hair texture? Is it fine? If so, I second the advice given a few pages back to regularly use something like Nexxus Keraphix or emergencee on a weekly basis to fortify the strands and make them less resistance to breakage. If your hair is fine, you don't need tons and tons and tons of moisture. It might be counterproductive to your hair goals.

I have fine hair, but I'm relaxed. I use some form of protein every week and only use a moisturizing leave-in. I've seen a huge turnaround in my hair since.

kooskoos

Hi again! Have you tried styling your hair with conditioner? Not a leave-in, but a normal conditioner you would use to cowash? My faves are VO5 moisture milks. Cowash your hair and then use the conditioner like you would a leave-in or moisturizer. My hair stays soft all day when I do this.

As far as keeping the red color off of your hair, you can add honey or oils to your henna mix. That will make it creamier, so it's easier to wash out, and it also prevents too much of the dye from depositing. Or you can try a cassia treatment, which gives strengthening results similar to henna, but without a color change.

HTH, and keep us posted! I really want you to be happy with your hair :yep:

AfroKink

Where are you and what did you buy?
I left the Caribbean and now I'm in Tennessee. First 2 I bought in the Caribbean, they were the only moisturizing leave ins I could find at that store.
Micro Active "Selector leave-in treatment"
Water, denatured ethanol, cetrimonium chloride &isopropanol, panthenol, phospholipis & modified serum protein, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, perfume, metylchloroisothiazolinone & methylisothiazolinone, citric acis.
Motions "Weightless clear hairdressing"

Water (Aqua) , Glycerin , Propylene Glycol , Polyacrylamide , PEG-12 Dimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral , Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool , DMDM Hydantoin , Disodium EDTA , Fragrance
Then while visiting a different island I found this product which is an awesome detangler, but I don't think its all that moisturizing because it has alot of cones. So I only really us it when detangling
Just For Me "2-in-1 conditioining detangler"

Aqua , Glycereth-26 , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-22 , Silk Amino Acids , Polyquaternium-11 , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Lactic Acid , Acetamide MEA , Polysorbate 20 , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylisothiazolinone , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Limonene , Parfum Fragrance
When I got back to Tennessee last week, I bought
African Royale "Braid and extension sheen spray"

Deionized Water , Glycerin , Propylene Glycol , PPG-12-PEG-50 Lanolin , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Polyquaternium 32 , Paraffinum Liquidum , Tea Tree Leaf Oil - Melaleuca Alternifolia , Polysorbate 80 , Oat Kernel Extract - Avena Sativa , Allantoin , Silk Amino Acids , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Slippery Elm Bark , Sage , Henna , Comfrey , Burdock Root , Goldenseal , Cherry Bark , Ginseng , Black Walnut , Chamomile , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Wheat Germ , Methyl & Propyl Paraben , Fragrance.

What is your hair texture? Is it fine? If so, I second the advice given a few pages back to regularly use something like Nexxus Keraphix or emergencee on a weekly basis to fortify the strands and make them less resistance to breakage. If your hair is fine, you don't need tons and tons and tons of moisture. It might be counterproductive to your hair goals.

I have fine hair, but I'm relaxed. I use some form of protein every week and only use a moisturizing leave-in. I've seen a huge turnaround in my hair since.

My hair is very fine. From about February to June I was doing a light protein treatment every week or every other week. Using either Nexxus Keraphix, GVP Kpak, or Aphogee 2 min. In June I took the advice that I was using too much protein and should be moisturizing. I havent used protein since then. I keep getting conflicting advice. I dont know if I should combine them both and do protein weekly and moisturize every day?

Hi again! Have you tried styling your hair with conditioner? Not a leave-in, but a normal conditioner you would use to cowash? My faves are VO5 moisture milks. Cowash your hair and then use the conditioner like you would a leave-in or moisturizer. My hair stays soft all day when I do this.

As far as keeping the red color off of your hair, you can add honey or oils to your henna mix. That will make it creamier, so it's easier to wash out, and it also prevents too much of the dye from depositing. Or you can try a cassia treatment, which gives strengthening results similar to henna, but without a color change.

HTH, and keep us posted! I really want you to be happy with your hair :yep:

I haven't tried styling with conditioner for a long time. Last time was in Nov/Dec and it led to detangling session that spread over 2 days. I was using ORS replenishing pac and the cones were too much. I'd have to try again with a cone free conditioner. I might go back to Aubrey's Organics.

Thanks for the henna tips!

kooskoos

I haven't tried styling with conditioner for a long time. Last time was in Nov/Dec and it led to detangling session that spread over 2 days. I was using ORS replenishing pac and the cones were too much. I'd have to try again with a cone free conditioner. I might go back to Aubrey's Organics.

Thanks for the henna tips!

You're welcome! The VO5 Moisture Milks line is CHEAP and CONE-FREE!!! :lick: And I have very very VERY fine hair as well, and henna has really worked wonders :yep:

ladytee2

I am going to suggest these 2 threads. I know you have gotten alot of advice and everyones hair is different.
I would suggest that your
moisture : protein is not in sink.

Maybe you need to check porosity

I am natural and I need more moisture than protein. If you have previous damage i.e. split ends and white bubbles that hair is going to break off. I am almost on my 1yr LHCF anniversary. My moisture level did not increase until I started DC every week. I am now seeing my hair retain moisture.
Finally maybe you need to add somethings like honey, evco, avg, evoo, veg glycerine and or coconut milk to your DC for extra moisture.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

AfroKink

Henna and my Steamer were the tools that unlocked my moisture problem. Also, maybe you should try to get some products that have more natural ingredients.

Do you henna with your steamer?
You're welcome! The VO5 Moisture Milks line is CHEAP and CONE-FREE!!! :lick: And I have very very VERY fine hair as well, and henna has really worked wonders :yep:
whats your henna recipe?

I am going to suggest these 2 threads. I know you have gotten alot of advice and everyones hair is different.
I would suggest that your
moisture : protein is not in sink.

Maybe you need to check porosity

I am natural and I need more moisture than protein. If you have previous damage i.e. split ends and white bubbles that hair is going to break off. I am almost on my 1yr LHCF anniversary. My moisture level did not increase until I started DC every week. I am now seeing my hair retain moisture.
Finally maybe you need to add somethings like honey, evco, avg, evoo, veg glycerine and or coconut milk to your DC for extra moisture.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Thanks. I've looked through those threads before. I know my hair needs more moisture but it doesn't seen to hold any moisture. Even when I baggy or steam as soon as my hair dries it's DRY! Using those little porosity tests my hair always floats on the top, suggesting that it isn't porous, right? Anyways, I read through sistaslicks post in the second link again (trying to pick out anything that might have escaped me in the past. One thing I dont really do is "seal". I'll pick up some shea butter again this weekend do I can try that. But when you seal your hair with oil how do you know if its actually retaining moisture and your not just feeling a coating that the oil leaves behind? How do you konw when its moisturized?

Lys

ladylibra

I would suggest giving henna another try. It might be more beneficial to do henna glosses (henna mixed with conditioner) so it will be easier to rinse out, and you'll get less color deposit. I know you said you don't like ordering stuff online, but I think that hennaforhair.com has good quality henna. If you can find some at a local Indian store, even better. I bought a cheap brand called Afshan Mehndi, $1.49 a box and it is finely sifted. Very easy to rinse out! :yep:

Your hair does look a lot like my son's. His is also fragile, and he has ridiculous shrinkage that makes it difficult to detangle when it starts growing out. Since I started doing henna glosses for him this summer, his hair is much stronger and has less breakage. It's still only 3 inches long, so I have yet to see how it will work in the long run. But so far, great. :yep:

tocktick

whats your henna recipe?

Thanks. I've looked through those threads before. I know my hair needs more moisture but it doesn't seen to hold any moisture. Even when I baggy or steam as soon as my hair dries it's DRY! Using those little porosity tests my hair always floats on the top, suggesting that it isn't porous, right? Anyways, I read through sistaslicks post in the second link again (trying to pick out anything that might have escaped me in the past. One thing I dont really do is "seal". I'll pick up some shea butter again this weekend do I can try that. But when you seal your hair with oil how do you know if its actually retaining moisture and your not just feeling a coating that the oil leaves behind? How do you konw when its moisturized?

Lys

Imo, if your hair is really moisturised, it will feel soft. My hair feels like it absorbs what I put on it (castor oil) and simply doesn't just feel oily or crispy. Once my hair is dry, it doesn't really feel like I simply have a coating on it.

I think you've a lot of great advice here. From what you've written recently though 3 things stuck out for me:

* Blowdrying (with a comb). I used to do this 1-2x a month to save time. However, I noticed the ends of my hair were becoming thinner and my hair was becoming weaker despite using heat protectant, DC regularly etc. I blow-dried on low most of the time and sometimes on cool. I think that even on cool, I was damaging my hair.

* As was mentioned previously, oils do not moisturise your hair. They lock moisture in. I do not really use a leave in. I wet my hair almost everyday, run some conditioner through, rinse 80% of the condish off and then seal using castor oil on damp hair. If I go at least 2 days without wetting, my hair feels dry as a bone. Of course, that makes it more susceptible to breakage.

* I only use body-art quality henna from shops selling Indian (or other Asian) products. I don't buy it from places like Lush, since there's a higher chance they mix it with out junk that makes it harder to rinse out from your hair. If you don't want the red colour, use indigo also or don't leave it sitting long enough for a colour release (4-5 hours should suffice. 24hrs for colour release, iirc). I deep condition straight away afterwards.

Last edited:

Junebug D

whats your henna recipe?

Lys

You will know. It will still feel dry, but oily. The only time I have found oil sealing beneficial is after DCing w/heat and using a leave-in. Other times, I get that dry but oily feeling.

Wish I could help you more, but I am having similar problem. I have noticed that my hair does stay moisturized for about 2-3 days after DCing w/heat and a good quality, thiiiiiick moisturizing conditioner like AO or Kenra. My only solution is to DC every 2-3 days, which I admittedly haven't tried.

Junebug D

Also, try avocado oil. We have similar hair textures and low porosity, and I've found avocado oil to be better on my hair than coconut, EVOO, jojoba, etc. Coconut oil doesn't do much for me.

AfroKink

So I went to the store and picked up some henna. They had so many different kinds there. I bought Hesh henna which says it has 100% mehendi (lawsonia alba/henna). And I bought some Dulhan 'henna mehandi powder' which has alma, mehendi, shikakai, brahmi, and reetha. It says it gives golden or copper highlights. Both look to be body art quality. I'm not sure which of the two boxes I'm going to try first. Probably the Dulhan combo

msa

So I went to the store and picked up some henna. They had so many different kinds there. I bought Hesh henna which says it has 100% mehendi (lawsonia alba/henna). And I bought some Dulhan 'henna mehandi powder' which has alma, mehendi, shikakai, brahmi, and reetha. It says it gives golden or copper highlights. Both look to be body art quality. I'm not sure which of the two boxes I'm going to try first. Probably the Dulhan combo

I know that I've seen people use Hesh with good results.But I would be wary of the Dulhan because it says it gives the golden or copper highlights. Just do your research first and make sure they're both BAQ with no random additives that will jack your hair up.

AfroKink

I know that I've seen people use Hesh with good results.But I would be wary of the Dulhan because it says it gives the golden or copper highlights. Just do your research first and make sure they're both BAQ with no random additives that will jack your hair up.

To be more clear it says something about adding vinegar or lemon juice. Then it says it will give copper or golden highlights. So maybe its the vinegar or lemon that does it?

In any event, I just remembered that I got my hair highlighted at Aveda. The last time was over a year ago, but I still have a lot of dyed ends. I need to research how henna treatments would effect my colour processed strands.

Lys

msa

To be more clear it says something about adding vinegar or lemon juice. Then it says it will give copper or golden highlights. So maybe its the vinegar or lemon that does it?

In any event, I just remembered that I got my hair highlighted at Aveda. The last time was over a year ago, but I still have a lot of dyed ends. I need to research how henna treatments would effect my colour processed strands.

Lys

Yeah, you should definitely do a lot of research. I know you're already struggling with dryness issues and henna could set you back. That's why it's recommended to do a really good DC afterward. Also, for your first time you should just add water to the henna. Adding acidic things like lemon/lime juice, acv, and other "terps" could cause a huge setback for you.

darlingdiva

Hi, MissAlyssa!!!

I've read this entire thread & I just want to say that I feel for you. Breakage is truly the worst. When I started my hair journey, I had breakage galore because I piled on the moisture & avoided protein like the plague. My breakage lessened significantly when I incorporated protein into my regimen on a regular basis. The protein helped me to hold on to the moisture. When I used to drown my hair in moisture, it often felt dry. I do an ACV rinse at the end of each wash & it makes my hair feel softer. Also, I didn't follow up w/ KBB deep condish after Aphogee 2-min last week & I've noticed even more of a decrease in breakage.

Having said all this, I also understand the struggles of having fine hair. It does (mine at least) seem to be prone to a certain amount of breakage. I protective style to the max. On average, my hair is only exposed outside four times a month.

If you're still looking for moisturizers, I suggest Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream. It provides moisture w/out weighing the hair down.