3.5 inches of breakage a year?

loulou82

Is your growth rate really 6 inches per year? You're calculating 4.5-5 inches of lost retention per year and one 1-1.5 inches of retention but perhaps you are really growing 3 inches and retaining 1-1.5 inches. There are several slow but consistent growers on the board.

I saw progress in your shots especially from June 08- December 08. Could the twists and braids or kinky twists be hurting you more than helping? I realized last Winter that the synthetic kinky twist hair was too harsh for my natural hair. So I had to take a break from the style even though I love them. Did yo have a harsh winter from December-March? Winter is always tough on the hair.

Do you have a daily moisturizer? Even in protective styles like twists I lightly moisturize daily. Castor oil makes my ends sleek and locks in the moisture a bit longer so my ends are less prone to knots.

Platinum

Welcome back! I agree with Rapunzel*. I believe I see some progress. I haven't read the entire thread but I would like to ask if you are doing protein treatments. If so, are you following up with moisture? If you're not using protein, maybe you should consider trying. Also, you may want to try Henna as well. I'm 4a/b transitioning and I noticed that my hair is thriving from the use of protein. When I joined the site, I followed the "protein is the debil" bandwagon. My hair was already damaged so this made it even worse. I ended my transition because of the breakage (if I had known what the real issue was, I would have continued transitioning and eventually become natural :sad:)

Sorry for the rambling, you have received some great advice since your update today. Hopefully more of the natural gurus can chime in to help. Don't give up!

:bighug:

AfroKink

is it just me or do i see progress.
and op your stretching your hair dry which does snot show all your length. i wish my twists would hang that low. hang in there and i promise you it will be worth it
I see progress too:yep:, just not what I would expect from 12 months worth of growing. I should be able to move form June 2008 pic to June 2009 pic in 4 months!

Is your growth rate really 6 inches per year? You're calculating 4.5-5 inches of lost retention per year and one 1-1.5 inches of retention but perhaps you are really growing 3 inches and retaining 1-1.5 inches. There are several slow but consistent growers on the board.

I saw progress in your shots especially from June 08- December 08. Could the twists and braids or kinky twists be hurting you more than helping? I realized last Winter that the synthetic kinky twist hair was too harsh for my natural hair. So I had to take a break from the style even though I love them. Did yo have a harsh winter from December-March? Winter is always tough on the hair.

Do you have a daily moisturizer? Even in protective styles like twists I lightly moisturize daily. Castor oil makes my ends sleek and locks in the moisture a bit longer so my ends are less prone to knots.

A while back I got my hair highlighted, then a year later I measured from the roots to the highlights and I had JUST under 6 inches of 'new growth'. Winter was actually my lightest one ever because I moved from Canada to the southern US. Kinky twists may be a culprit. I wear extension hair in with mine fairly often. Maybe I'll go to December this year without and extension hair.

I don't have a daily moisturizer. When my hair is in a bun I use coconut oil about every other day.

Welcome back! I agree with Rapunzel*. I believe I see some progress. I haven't read the entire thread but I would like to ask if you are doing protein treatments. If so, are you following up with moisture? If you're not using protein, maybe you should consider trying. Also, you may want to try Henna as well. I'm 4a/b transitioning and I noticed that my hair is thriving from the use of protein. When I joined the site, I followed the "protein is the debil" bandwagon. My hair was already damaged so this made it even worse. I ended my transition because of the breakage (if I had known what the real issue was, I would have continued transitioning and eventually become natural :sad:)

Sorry for the rambling, you have received some great advice since your update today. Hopefully more of the natural gurus can chime in to help. Don't give up!

:bighug:
I've been working protein into my hair since December. I usually mix the protein conditioner in with my deep conditioner. When I have time I deep condition under my steamer. I tried henna once and it didn't work too well because it was hard to get the little particles out of my hair. I'd have to do more research on it before trying again.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Lys

Ronnieaj

I know that you mentioned deep conditioning in your posts, but maybe you need to do it more often. If you're only washing your hair twice a month, that may not be enough. I'd try at least once a week, but preferably twice a week for a few months and see how your hair does. I'm a natural 4a; I cowash once a week with HE LTR and do a moisturizing DC, and then use CON red label (original) once a week and do a protein DC followed by a moisture DC. I would also make sure, if you're bunning or doing another protective style (not twists, I know those don't work for you) that you moisturize your hair daily, if not twice a day.

Jazala

My hair doesn't break close to the scalp. It's the last inch or less that breaks off but I can find splits or bubbles in the strand up to 3 inches from the end. I eat well and try to remember to take my multi vitamin. I was in and out of the doctor's office last summer trying to see if anemia is causing my breakage, but i'm not anemic...

I've changed my regimen a few times in the past year but nothing I try seems to make a difference in my hair. For the past 6 months I've been pretty consistent. Every two weeks I

• wash (Avalon Organics Lavendar Shampoo)
  • deep condition (Earth Organics Avocado and Olive Oil Deep conditioning masque, or Druide's conditioner)
  • Protein condition (nexxus keraphix, aphogee 2min, or generic Kpak). I favor the aphogee so I'm trying to use out the other two
  • water rinse
  • I blot my hair with a towel
  • take down a section
  • heat protectant (CHI silk infusion or Big Sexy Hair - striaghtening balm)
  • blow dry on cool or medium
  • apply coconut oil
  • style in a bun, 2 or 3 big cornrows, or kinky twists with extension
  • between washes: cocnut oil as needed and Nex Faze protein leave-in once a week
I don't know what path to take now, thats why I'm back on the board. I'm open to suggestions:yep:

Lys

I see progress too:yep:, just not what I would expect from 12 months worth of growing. I should be able to move form June 2008 pic to June 2009 pic in 4 months!

A while back I got my hair highlighted, then a year later I measured from the roots to the highlights and I had JUST under 6 inches of 'new growth'. Winter was actually my lightest one ever because I moved from Canada to the southern US. Kinky twists may be a culprit. I wear extension hair in with mine fairly often. Maybe I'll go to December this year without and extension hair.

I don't have a daily moisturizer. When my hair is in a bun I use coconut oil about every other day.

I've been working protein into my hair since December. I usually mix the protein conditioner in with my deep conditioner. When I have time I deep condition under my steamer. I tried henna once and it didn't work too well because it was hard to get the little particles out of my hair. I'd have to do more research on it before trying again.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Lys

Sounds like your hair is splitting and breaking from dryness. Does your hair feel dry? I think you might need more moisture. You are conditioning with a lot of protein and also using it in between washes. The oils you use will seal and lubricate but not moisturize.

Sounds like your hair is splitting and breaking from dryness. Does your hair feel dry? I think you might need more moisture. You are conditioning with a lot of protein and also using it in between washes. The oils you use will seal and lubricate but not moisturize.

I agree. You need to up your moisture levels. You're natural so you don't need as much protein as a relaxed head. Moisture. Moisture. Moisture. Remember because of your curl pattern its hard for the sebum from your scalp to trail down and remember oils dont moisturize. Look into a good daily moisturizor and seal. Quit the weaves. Just do natural twistouts or buns. Oh and like a lady said before..perhaps look into deep conditioning once a week and try co washing.

AfroKink

My hair does fell dry sometimes, that's when I'd apply coconut oil. Right now I'm out of the country and don't have access to many products. Last week I started using Redken Butter Treat as a leave-in after reading some raves on here. My only moisturizing type products are the 2 conditioners I brought with me (Redken and Earth Organics).

In the past I've had trouble finding a good moisturizing product that I can use between washes. If it's too watery it will cause shrinkage and lead to tangles. I've been looking into creamy moisturizers. I tried Neutrogena Triple Moisture and Cantu Shea butter leave-in. Both of them coated my hair, built up, and caused my stands to fuse together leading to 8 hours marathon detangling sessions.

I dont really know which to use to reap the benefits of moisture without any nasty side effects. I guess I'll continue to use Redken for now. Can anyone suggest a good creamy moisturizer?

Lys

Pandora1975

I've been following this post because I have made strides, but I still feel like MissAlyssa. I thought I understood, but what constitutes a "good moisterizer?" Seems like everything I try either frizzes my stuff up, or I find out later its considered an oil or sealant.

AfroKink

I've been following this post because I have made strides, but I still feel like MissAlyssa. I thought I understood, but what constitutes a "good moisterizer?" Seems like everything I try either frizzes my stuff up, or I find out later its considered an oil or sealant.
Have you discovered anything Pandora? which products have you tried. I dont even know the difference between a conditioner and a moisturizer...

Lys

*closer*2*my*dreams*

A moisturizer, if i'm not mistaken, is pretty much the same as a leave-in conditioner. I currently use Redken smooth down butter treat as my moisturizer and seal with oils. I believe it's best for my hair and considering I use lots of protein, mt and oct, then it's best i use something thick and creamy to help penetrate my strands.

I'm sure other ladies will chime in with great mositurizers for your strands.

Jazala

AfroKink

Things are going okay right now I guess. I'm still using Redken Butter Treat as a daily leave-in moisturizer. I've been doing this for about a week now. I can see that I'm starting to get some buildup and the product isn't absobing as well as it use to. I need to wash my hair but it's hard to find an 8-12 hours block of time to devot to my hair. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend though.

peony

I think that sometimes the ends of tightly coiled natural hair just pop off when wet and manipulated, even if they are well moisturized and proteined and whatever else-d. So, I guess, then the challenge is minimizing the times per week/month when it is manipulated, especially when it is manipulated while wet. Also, as I posted in another thread, the chemicals used in extension hair used to do serious damage to my natural hair, making the ends all break off/disintegrate. Oh, and you have BEAUTIFUL hair, but I know it isn't where you want it to be yet.

bedazzled

Well I read everyones advice & maybe my advice is going to offer up something diferent..or stir up something in everyones brain. But you stated that back in 07 your iron was low, hemoglobin & etc..and your hair ISNT breaking off from the root area which shows that your hair is growing in strong so youre producing strong healthy strands..do you think the hair on the ends is hair back from 07 & before days? Which would make sense because hair from head to shoulders is about 2-3 years old & that would be about right. So maybe the hair on the ends is EXTREMELY fragile because it was back when your body wasnt at its best...

I just wanted to offer up something different since it seems you have a pretty solid regimen and have tried everything.

Edit: I also wanted to say maybe a good hair cut for those ends would help..& see if what I am saying is right.

AfroKink

Mane 'n tail can be found in most places like CVS and walgreen right? I'll check it out.

I go ahead and clarify during my next wash. I might get to do it tonight, but Im not sure.

I know that a certain amount of breakage is expected (supposedly) from my hair type. Thats why I wasn't alarmed when I saw litle hairs popping off for all those years. But I didn't realize just how much breakage I was getting. I lose more than half of what I grow, and I dont think that's suppose to be normal for any hair type. I can't accept it anymore.

Sometime this weekend I will:
detangle / get rid of shed hair
wash with Vo5's clarifying shampoo
DC with Earth Organics DC masque
towel blot, air dry, sun dry
cornrow

Ronnieaj

Things are going okay right now I guess. I'm still using Redken Butter Treat as a daily leave-in moisturizer. I've been doing this for about a week now. I can see that I'm starting to get some buildup and the product isn't absobing as well as it use to. I need to wash my hair but it's hard to find an 8-12 hours block of time to devot to my hair. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend though.

I'm pretty sure the Butter Treat has silicones in it. That's probably why you're getting build up. Try adding baking soda to your poo/condish to clarify your hair. The Redken may be better as a deep conditioner rather than as a leave-in treatment.

AfroKink

Well I read everyones advice & maybe my advice is going to offer up something diferent..or stir up something in everyones brain. But you stated that back in 07 your iron was low, hemoglobin & etc..and your hair ISNT breaking off from the root area which shows that your hair is growing in strong so youre producing strong healthy strands..do you think the hair on the ends is hair back from 07 & before days? Which would make sense because hair from head to shoulders is about 2-3 years old & that would be about right. So maybe the hair on the ends is EXTREMELY fragile because it was back when your body wasnt at its best...

I just wanted to offer up something different since it seems you have a pretty solid regimen and have tried everything.

Edit: I also wanted to say maybe a good hair cut for those ends would help..& see if what I am saying is right.

Thats what Ive been saying to myself for about 4 years now, but I havent noticed improvement in my hair. My health was actually much better in 07 and 08 than it is now. I had my hair cut near the end of janurary I believe but it's still breaking off.

I'm pretty sure the Butter Treat has silicones in it. That's probably why you're getting build up. Try adding baking soda to your poo/condish to clarify your hair. The Redken may be better as a deep conditioner rather than as a leave-in treatment.
It does have a silicone in it, but I dont remember which one right now.

Last edited:

bedazzled

Thats what Ive been saying to myself for about 4 years now, but I havent noticed improvement in my hair. My health was actually much better in 07 and 08 than it is now. I had my hair cut near the end of janurary I believe but it's still breaking off.

Well another suggestion I had is possibly switch to natural products. I think Aloe Vera in your hair regimen will really help you out. Aloe Vera saves alot of people's hair who have many different disorders.

• Aloe Vera is used as a treatment for hairloss since it stimulates new hair production
• Its an amazing natural hair conditioner
• Aloe Vera its great at cell repair, and helps breakage
• Aloe Vera consists of 20 amino acids and it maintains & regulates the PH of the hair and cleanses pores.
• Aloe Vera also has the ability to seal moisture in hair and it is recommended to do this after washing your hair.

kryolnapps

Hello hair twin!!

I see progress from those pics! I'm a slow grower (I don't know how much but a lot less than .5 per month!) Your hair is longer than mine, I've been growing mine since August of '05. I too had problem retaining length. I had to cut (not trimmed, cut!) my dry, brittle ends several times. I'm very familiar with these tiny o's breaking all over.

However, the past 2 years have been really great for me. My miracle product is Nexxus Emergencee. I used it regularly at the beginning, at least 2-3 times a month. It's not really a protein, more like a polymer, like the label says, that leave a flexible, light coating on your hair that fills gaps and breaks on the strands. Sorry, can't really explain it better. It has really been helping me retain length.

Other than that, I don't comb my hair, I just use the Goody Jojoba infuse brush on damp hair slathered with Ojon Restorative Treatment. (I prepoo with it overnight with a plastic cap and then detangle my hair on the morning, so it's slightly damp).

I don't use SLS shampoo often, only to clarify once in a while. I usually do ACV or baking soda, or Ayurvedic rinses once a week.

I also notice that my hair responds well to low acidic product, such as Nexxus Color Ensure (they changed they ingredients, I have to find another low acid condish:wallbash:). I don't use products with cones or mineral/petroleum (sp?) oil in them.

I use quality moisturizers like Qhemet and Hairveda and Karen's, not on soaking wet hair, but on damp hair. Otherwise my hair will become hard from the oils.

I DC often and do protein treatments followed by a moisturizing DC, always.

How long do you DC? I used to leave it 15-20 mins, but I noticed that I need at least 30 mins with heat .

HTH

AfroKink

Hello hair twin!!

I see progress from those pics! I'm a slow grower (I don't know how much but a lot less than .5 per month!) Your hair is longer than mine, I've been growing mine since August of '05. I too had problem retaining length. I had to cut (not trimmed, cut!) my dry, brittle ends several times. I'm very familiar with these tiny o's breaking all over.

However, the past 2 years have been really great for me. My miracle product is Nexxus Emergencee. I used it regularly at the beginning, at least 2-3 times a month. It's not really a protein, more like a polymer, like the label says, that leave a flexible, light coating on your hair that fills gaps and breaks on the strands. Sorry, can't really explain it better. It has really been helping me retain length.

Other than that, I don't comb my hair, I just use the Goody Jojoba infuse brush on damp hair slathered with Ojon Restorative Treatment. (I prepoo with it overnight with a plastic cap and then detangle my hair on the morning, so it's slightly damp).

I don't use SLS shampoo often, only to clarify once in a while. I usually do ACV or baking soda, or Ayurvedic rinses once a week.

I also notice that my hair responds well to low acidic product, such as Nexxus Color Ensure (they changed they ingredients, I have to find another low acid condish:wallbash:). I don't use products with cones or mineral/petroleum (sp?) oil in them.

I use quality moisturizers like Qhemet and Hairveda and Karen's, not on soaking wet hair, but on damp hair. Otherwise my hair will become hard from the oils.

I DC often and do protein treatments followed by a moisturizing DC, always.

How long do you DC? I used to leave it 15-20 mins, but I noticed that I need at least 30 mins with heat .

HTH

Hiya twin!
I've never tried nexxus emergencee. I'll add it to my list of prodcuts to research and try. When I DC I either do it over night or for ~45 mins under my steamer.

Well another suggestion I had is possibly switch to natural products. I think Aloe Vera in your hair regimen will really help you out. Aloe Vera saves alot of people's hair who have many different disorders.

• Aloe Vera is used as a treatment for hairloss since it stimulates new hair production
• Its an amazing natural hair conditioner
• Aloe Vera its great at cell repair, and helps breakage
• Aloe Vera consists of 20 amino acids and it maintains & regulates the PH of the hair and cleanses pores.
• Aloe Vera also has the ability to seal moisture in hair and it is recommended to do this after washing your hair.

Neat. I used aloe juice on my hair for a while but I wasn't really watching my hair at that time. I used it as the base of my hair spritz. I'm in the Caribbean now and aloe is easy to find, so aloe is at the top of my 'to try' list. thank you.

Fine 4s

I can't seem to get away from breakage. I moisturize my hair, but it still breaks. I put my hair in twists last week. The last time I washed it was 2 days ago (I washed with the twists in). Today, which the twists still in, I put on some Cantu Leave-in. There were broken hairs all over my shoulders. Breakage from just applying leave-in. I wasn't manipulating my hair as it was in a protective style. I washed it and I put on a moisturizing leave in.

I get breakage if I use protein or if I don't.
I get breakage if I use protective styles or if I don't.
I get breakage if I clarify or if I don't.
I get breakage if I deep condition or if I don't.

What I do know is my hair grows 0.5 inches per month, I haven't cut it it almost two years and the longest layer is only about 8 or 9 inches. In two years it should have grown by 12 inches, and since the cut left me with about 4 or 5 inches, I've lost 7 inches due to breakage! That more than half of my growth per year. What gives? I was lead to believe that some amount of breakage is okay, but this can't be okay.

help anyone?

Lys

ETA: Bumped this thread a year later. I've managed to retain about 2 inches since this post. The minor update and comparison shots from the past year are on Page 9. I'm still in need of vast amounts of help.

Hey Lys,

It just dawned on me that while I still get breakage, I convinced that I'd get MORE breakage without a protective styling regimen. So in the end maybe it's about 'degree' of breakage???

AfroKink

I started doing my hair soon after noon. almost 12 hours later, its still not done and I'm in tears. I just dont know what to do with it anymore. I took te twits down one by one and detangled, removed shed hair, and retwisted. That was Saturday. Today after church I washed with Avbalon organcis lavendar shampoo then used the VO5 clarfying conditioner. I noiced there was still tons of build up on my scalp so I used the VO% clarifying shampoo. That got my scalp clean finally. I put on Earth Organics DC while I showered and shaved. I finished with Roux porosity control conditioner. I took the twists while still damp and put them into bantu knots to dry. I sat outside for several hours so the wind cold help dry it. 8 hours later, all but the roots were dry. By this time I had a considerable nuumber of locs in my hair. my hair locs when I wash it in twists. I had to spend time fighting to unravel the twit-locs and detangle while trying not to break off too mand of my ends. I got most of the right side of my head done. I added Redken Butter Treat as a moiturizer because myhair felt dry and hard. I tried to part my hair but its so tangly that every half inch I had to stop and untangle that section before moving on. It took me over 20 mins just to put a part going straight back. Now that I'm done, the part I want to braid is full of tangles. I wont be able to cornrow with tangles like this. I'll have to detangle for the 3rd time now in 2 days. I can't take this anymore. This is exactly why I started blow drying. I can't spend 8+ hours on my hair weekly, only to have the session end with my in tears and sobbing into my pillow. Why does it have to be this hard? Every time I did my hair in the fall it ended with me crying. I had to choose between shaving my head or getting a blowdryer. I can't have an emotional breakdown every time I do my hair. I've given up on my hair for the night. Im ging to fight thru the rest of the twist-locs on the other side of my head, then try to pull my hair into one. I hopw I can do a bun or atleast a puff for work tomorrow

AfroKink

I'm back and feeling much better now that I dont have to touch my hair. I didn't finished detangling last night. After riping our a couple knots out of anger, I decided to save my hair buy putting it in a pony tail and going to bed. I work up this morning and spent another hour fighting through twist-locs and tangles. I smoothed my hair with my hands into a pony-puff. I know I still have a world of tangles to contend with in my hair. I'm so happy my hair is long enough to pony!

I put some of my Earth Organics DC masque on the puff part and the hair that is smoothed back. I'm hoping that that can hold me until I can go to the store tonight. I'm hoping to buy maybe four different spray and creamy moisturizers today and try to cornrow my hair tonight. Supply is sparse down here, but I'm going to try to find some without cones or petroleum.

anon123

I started doing my hair soon after noon. almost 12 hours later, its still not done and I'm in tears. I just dont know what to do with it anymore. I took te twits down one by one and detangled, removed shed hair, and retwisted. That was Saturday. Today after church I washed with Avbalon organcis lavendar shampoo then used the VO5 clarfying conditioner. I noiced there was still tons of build up on my scalp so I used the VO% clarifying shampoo. That got my scalp clean finally. I put on Earth Organics DC while I showered and shaved. I finished with Roux porosity control conditioner. I took the twists while still damp and put them into bantu knots to dry. I sat outside for several hours so the wind cold help dry it. 8 hours later, all but the roots were dry. By this time I had a considerable nuumber of locs in my hair. my hair locs when I wash it in twists. I had to spend time fighting to unravel the twit-locs and detangle while trying not to break off too mand of my ends. I got most of the right side of my head done. I added Redken Butter Treat as a moiturizer because myhair felt dry and hard. I tried to part my hair but its so tangly that every half inch I had to stop and untangle that section before moving on. It took me over 20 mins just to put a part going straight back. Now that I'm done, the part I want to braid is full of tangles. I wont be able to cornrow with tangles like this. I'll have to detangle for the 3rd time now in 2 days. I can't take this anymore. This is exactly why I started blow drying. I can't spend 8+ hours on my hair weekly, only to have the session end with my in tears and sobbing into my pillow. Why does it have to be this hard? Every time I did my hair in the fall it ended with me crying. I had to choose between shaving my head or getting a blowdryer. I can't have an emotional breakdown every time I do my hair. I've given up on my hair for the night. Im ging to fight thru the rest of the twist-locs on the other side of my head, then try to pull my hair into one. I hopw I can do a bun or atleast a puff for work tomorrow

:bighug: Sorry Alyssa. I don't know what to tell you. Definitely no more washing the hair in small twists and letting them dry. :nono: That's what lead to my cut back in August.

I think keeping your hair cornrowed or in extensions is probably your best bet. You shouldn't need all those products. If your hair continues to break off with a perfectly good low-manipulation regiment, well, maybe that's just the way it is.

Right now I'm trying something new. Cowashing in big twists. I'll let you know how that turns out. I'll be cowashing and opening up the twists in the shower and detangling a bit with my fingers each time. Like 20 twists or so. If it turns out well, I'll let you know.

AfroKink

:bighug: Sorry Alyssa. I don't know what to tell you. Definitely no more washing the hair in small twists and letting them dry. :nono: That's what lead to my cut back in August.

I think keeping your hair cornrowed or in extensions is probably your best bet. You shouldn't need all those products. If your hair continues to break off with a perfectly good low-manipulation regiment, well, maybe that's just the way it is.

Right now I'm trying something new. Cowashing in big twists. I'll let you know how that turns out. I'll be cowashing and opening up the twists in the shower and detangling a bit with my fingers each time. Like 20 twists or so. If it turns out well, I'll let you know.

That was my first time washing in twists for the year. It was a cruel reminder of why I stopped. My shampoo has to go, it doesn't seem to remove product like it should and I end up having to use an SLS shampoo. I should be able to shampoo and go straight to deep conditioning. Both Cantu and NTM leave-in/moisturizer have cones. They both caused a ridicoulsy amount of pain and suffering to my soul. So i'm going to the stored armed with a list of water soluble and non-soluble cones. I'm going to try to get 4 products because chances are 3 wont work, lol.

Chevelure618

Have you looked into Cathy Howse? Her methods and products may help you. She helps you balance moisture and protein which may help with your breakage problems.

her website: ubhpublications.com

Also do a search on the board here. you'll find out alot about her products and methods. I really suggest you buy her deep conditioner. It may seem expensive but it really strengthens the hair. I have gone natural to relax and back about 5 times. Each time I've retained all my hair using her methods. I just have to stop cutting my hair off.

ITA with this. Her deep conditioner is thick with oil and the lotion creme moisturizer moisturizes like no other.

I may get blasted for this but have you thought of lightly relaxing you hair? It might help

kooskoos

My hair does fell dry sometimes, that's when I'd apply coconut oil. Right now I'm out of the country and don't have access to many products. Last week I started using Redken Butter Treat as a leave-in after reading some raves on here. My only moisturizing type products are the 2 conditioners I brought with me (Redken and Earth Organics).

In the past I've had trouble finding a good moisturizing product that I can use between washes. If it's too watery it will cause shrinkage and lead to tangles. I've been looking into creamy moisturizers. I tried Neutrogena Triple Moisture and Cantu Shea butter leave-in. Both of them coated my hair, built up, and caused my stands to fuse together leading to 8 hours marathon detangling sessions.

I dont really know which to use to reap the benefits of moisture without any nasty side effects. I guess I'll continue to use Redken for now. Can anyone suggest a good creamy moisturizer?

Lys

My hair was inherently dry until I started using Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I LOVE this stuff because even though it's water-based, it doesn't cause shrinkage. I also use Elasta QP Mango Butter. It has a silicone in it, but it really moisturizes my hair. And after I moisturize I always use coconut oil to seal.

Also have you thought about using henna? It really helped me to retain length.