2012 HYH Challenge Session 2 - July 1- December 31, 2012

Monaleezza

Can I join?

I hid my hair for 2 years until August 2012. Then I wore it out all summer.

What an experience! After hiding my hair for 2 years I woke up to bra strap length hair and had to learn from scratch how to manage it.

By the time I learnt how, it was winter and I had to hide it. So yesterday the deed was done and my hair has been hidden for another 6-months or maybe I'll hide until I reach my goal of waist length. I haven't yet decided.

ms.tatiana

@ms.tatiana seal the wefts with what?

Monaleezza its just called a sealer for the top part of your tracks "forms an excellent water-proof bond to any base material. Easily removes with our Citrus PURE Adhesive Remover as well as other removers. Excellent for sealing many hair extension products"

just to help with cutting and pulling on the hair from the tracks.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
ms.tatiana seal the wefts with what?

Monaleezza
I know you didnt ask me but I use a Fray Block Sealant. Can be found at a Arts and Craft store.

Can I join?

I hid my hair for 2 years until August 2012. Then I wore it out all summer.

What an experience! After hiding my hair for 2 years I woke up to bra strap length hair and had to learn from scratch how to manage it.

By the time I learnt how, it was winter and I had to hide it. So yesterday the deed was done and my hair has been hidden for another 6-months or maybe I'll hide until I reach my goal of waist length. I haven't yet decided.

Congrats come on in and keep us company.

ms.tatiana

Monaleezza said:
Thanks ms.tatiana & ZebraPrintLover
So I simply paste it onto the stitching to stop the hair from shedding? Is that correct?

Yeah that's what I've been told. I haven't tried it yet, but my hair is hand weft so its not as think as machine weft so pulling and cutting makes it shed. But on YouTube all they do it apply it to the weft and let it dry.

ms.tatiana

Monaleezza said:
Any tips ladies for what to apply to your hair while it's under a weave?

I stay with a weave, and the only pointers I have is to make sure you moisture your hair while in the weave, most people take care of the weave and not their own hair. Don't leave it in to long because that will mess up your own hair also a simple 8 or 10 week weave plan is best. But if you do leave it in longer make sure your conditioning you hair while in the weave.

Babygrowth

Man, I need to join this challenge. I just dyed my hair and I'm over it already. I did it to avoid buying a wig and I ended up buying a wig anyway. So I'm hiding it until February when I do my next touchup and then wait about 4wks and will probably get some braids. I'm going to try washing and DC every 2wks instead of every week like I do now and just moisturize and seal plus "grease" my scalp daily. My longest layer of hair is necklength so maybe this will help my hair even out. Eventually my goal will change to SL, but my ultimate goal is APL thick and healthy. I will take pics later today and post them. I need to be more consistent about exercising, taking my vitamins, and drinking water daily. I do good for a week or two then I fall off for a week or two and then the cycle begins again. Hopefully I can allow this challenge to help me do that.

I have learned the best advice for myself is to get out of my own way.
I hope I didn't miss anything. And if its too late to join I will be onboard for next year!

Monaleezza

Babygrowth Why do you grease your scalp daily? don't you find that clogs your scalp/pores and prevents healthy growth?

ms.tatiana I maintain my weaves for 12-15 weeks and get the best results that way. Although the take-down is a day job! lol, I keep my hair moist underneath with an applicator bottle of water and oils, but I'm looking for any ideas of what to put it my bottle this time around. I'm considering a mix of leave ins, alternating between moisture based leave ins and keratin leave ins. As I learned that my hair does love protein.

ZebraPrintLover I wish I knew the info about sealing the weft before buying this very expensive hair. I wish I could afford to take this down, seal and reapply. I hope that when I do the hair is in good enough condition not to reuse.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Doing the wash process today! Will be braiding back up once I am done. Only went a week this time.

Thanks ms.tatiana & ZebraPrintLover
So I simply paste it onto the stitching to stop the hair from shedding? Is that correct?

Yea and let it dry. I do it the night before I am due to put the hair back in.

Any tips ladies for what to apply to your hair while it's under a weave?
I wear it in a wig form, so no tips from me.

Babygrowth

Monaleezza When I wear braids, wigs, cornrows, or weaves my scalp tends to stay dry. My hair is very thirsty so this has been helping tremendously. I don't use anything but all natural oils and butters so I think its actually helping with growth.

Oneprettypa

Deep conditioned my hair dry today. I think I'm going to leave this install in for another two weeks and then get another sew in to carry out the rest of the year. My leave out is growing well so prayerfully the rest of my hair is too!

ms.tatiana

Went to Walmart today and got a few things
Hair mayonnaise
Conditioner
T-Sal dandruff shampoo
Tea tree oil

My hair will be down for Christmas, so I'm rocking this install until then. I will go to the salon for a touch up Wednesday and the 26th will make it a month it has been in. And I'm already for the next year because today I brought my new hair for next years install.

Lastly because I was combing out the dandruff in my hair I found a bald spot in the middle if my hair ughh

image-1341698423.jpg

Skiggle

I've been MIA and so has my hair. I'm taking out my long Marley twists and I'm gonna go the whole nine yards on Friday treating my hair. On Sat. I will have my braided up with my own hair.

jayjaycurlz

I've been 'unofficially' participating in this challenge from the sidelines. I've been on a personal HYH challenge all year to make APL, which I did a month early! Now I'm on my way to BSL and will continue to PS until I make it there.

It's getting colder here, so my hair is getting drier. I'm moisturizing 2x daily AM/PM and will continue with a DCing once a week. My goal is to retain my length through the cold Canadian winter months!

ms.tatiana

ZebraPrintLover said:
Is the dandruff taking your hair out? Or you getting the dandruff off the scalp taking it off?

Do you apply anything to your scalp on a normal basis.

Right now I believe the dandruff is taking it off my scalp. I stay wearing a weave and that part is my leave out so I never really put anything on that part.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Right now I believe the dandruff is taking it off my scalp. I stay wearing a weave and that part is my leave out so I never really put anything on that part.

I have very fine hair and I would lightly apply JBCO to my leave out scalp once a week when I was wearing my UPart. Try applying some oil to see if that helps......

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
^^^Just lightly though. I hope it helps. It helped me out.
How is the dandruff affecting the rest of your head?

ms.tatiana

^^^ To be honest it's really only in the front if my head and its horrible the middle and back oft head is fine.

Babygrowth

I took my cornrows out to pamper my hair before I put them back in and boy am I glad I did! My hair was so dry and crispy! I have to use a different spray to moisturize my hair I was using Shescentit's Tahitian Vanilla Leave in. I guess I was using too many protein laden products. So after prepooing, shampoo, and DC with tea, my hair feels amazing. So I'm going to put my rows back in and make a moisturizing concoction to use.

FoxxyLocs

Been installing twists since Sunday. I've done all but the middle. Hopefully I can finish today. Dusting as I go.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
^^^ To be honest it's really only in the front if my head and its horrible the middle and back oft head is fine.

Do you normally suffer from dandruff?
It sounds like you are experiencing the same thing I had issues with when I was wearing my UPart. I dont suffer from dandruff on the regular, it was just that my scalp was so dry it was crazy. Once I started applying that oil lightly to my scalp it was all better. And mines was the same like right in the front at my parting areas.

Monaleezza

Monaleezza When I wear braids, wigs, cornrows, or weaves my scalp tends to stay dry. My hair is very thirsty so this has been helping tremendously. I don't use anything but all natural oils and butters so I think its actually helping with growth.

@Babygrowth I'm sure it does. I heard "grease" and got a little worried for ya. lol
Peppermint and clove oil are good for the itching and coconut and castor oils good for the dryness. Worth a try.

Last edited:

ms.tatiana

ZebraPrintLover said:
Do you normally suffer from dandruff?
It sounds like you are experiencing the same thing I had issues with when I was wearing my UPart. I dont suffer from dandruff on the regular, it was just that my scalp was so dry it was crazy. Once I started applying that oil lightly to my scalp it was all better. And mines was the same like right in the front at my parting areas.

Yeah dandruff is normal for me. You started applying oil on the leave out I'm going to test that method out

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am still in hiding, I will stop by the BSS to pick up some hair to do a bun for a while.