2012 HYH Challenge Session 2 - July 1- December 31, 2012

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I need to make my other wig, but school is so hetic at the moment. Might be able to get it in the upcoming week.

Introduce yourself
Hey ladies! My name is Jamaica, and I have been floating on LHCF for a while, but have not been very active.

Have you been in this challenge before? What was your experience?
I was a part of an APL challenge that went pretty well.

what length are you now?
APL

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?
Full APL

What styles do you plan on wearing?
Wigs

How often do switch up styles?
Every two months... one inch at a time =)

Any Advice for anyone just starting out:
What works for me is zero maintenance... so wigs all the way!

This photo is actually a tad bit old, so my hair is about an inch longer than this photo. Last year I had a severe case of hands-in-hair-itis, so I am all about protective styling now!

ms.tatiana

Weave as been in since the 7th of last month so I'm now trying to find a good curly weave to switch it up.

JJamiah

My latest..... until tonight.... Braids and wigs :) later tonight!

Attachments

• naturalhair21.jpg
    naturalhair21.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 24
  • naturalhair24.jpg
    naturalhair24.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 18
  • naturalhair25.jpg
    naturalhair25.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 19

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I need to make my other wig, but school is so hetic at the moment. Might be able to get it in the upcoming week.

I made it....

I made it 2 wks in, DCing right now.....once this wash session is complete im braiding it back up and under wig i go.....Again!

ms.tatiana

I will probably take this weave out in a week & get it put right back in. Or I will press my hair and wear it in a ponytail or bun for a week or two

FoxxyLocs

I tried a flexi rod set and a bantu knot out. My flexi set was just ok. I used motions wrap foam and didn't like it. That set only lasted a few days. I got the Elasta wrap foam to try for next time. The bantu knots came out nice even though I didn't have time to let them dry all the way. DH is happy to see something besides a bun. Both were easy enough to do on a regular basis.

Hey Ladies,

Apparently when I joined this challenge three weeks ago I had know idea the length of may hair. I took this picture a little while later, and clearly I am not APL... so full APL would be a silly goal for 12/31.

So, here I go again:

Current length: grazing BSB
Goal length for the end of challenge: BSL (I wear sports bras, so I skipped this on my chart... but 12.5 inches of hair)
Ultimate goal: 17 inches

Happy growing =)

Introduce yourself
Hey ladies! My name is Jamaica, and I have been floating on LHCF for a while, but have not been very active.

Have you been in this challenge before? What was your experience?
I was a part of an APL challenge that went pretty well.

what length are you now?
APL

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?
Full APL

What styles do you plan on wearing?
Wigs

How often do switch up styles?
Every two months... one inch at a time =)

Any Advice for anyone just starting out:
What works for me is zero maintenance... so wigs all the way!

This photo is actually a tad bit old, so my hair is about an inch longer than this photo. Last year I had a severe case of hands-in-hair-itis, so I am all about protective styling now!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
This upcoming weekend will be 2 weeks hiding under this hair. I will wash, DC, and braid it back up Friday.

sckri23

Im starting late but for now my hair is wrapped up under my wig. But after I wash tomorrow I will ask my mom to cornrow my hair and i will continue to wear the wig till december.

Oneprettypa

ZebraPrintLover said:
I am doing all of this right now, I also did a protein treatment too!

What do you do for your protein treatment if you don't mind sharing? I'll need to do one when I take this sew in down at the end if Nov.

JJamiah

What do you do for your protein treatment if you don't mind sharing? I'll need to do one when I take this sew in down at the end if Nov.

You can use Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step or 2 minute depending on your need of protein, DRC, Joico K Pak, or any other protein treatment available. Each comes with their own set of directions. I usually add more time to the softer ones like 10 minutes instead of two to five. I give more time at least 30 min, but aver of 1 hour for my moisture dc.

FoxxyLocs

I've been doing flexi rod sets since my last post. I'm getting better at them. I can get a whole week out of them, which is good. I think next week I'll do a bantu knot set instead so I won't have to use my dryer.

I'm also thinking about getting the salons r us dryer to use for roller sets. My bonnet dryer takes too long and doesn't dry evenly. I don't want to fry my crown. I was going to wait for a sale, but I might just go ahead and get it.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

You can use Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step or 2 minute depending on your need of protein, DRC, Joico K Pak, or any other protein treatment available. Each comes with their own set of directions. I usually add more time to the softer ones like 10 minutes instead of two to five. I give more time at least 30 min, but aver of 1 hour for my moisture dc.

Oneprettypa, that is what I use.

ms.tatiana

Got my new install on Friday this should be good until Christmas for me, I have been using the same hair since February and its holding up. Next time I install I will seal the wefts.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
1 week into my braids, nxt weekend I take my graduation pics I will redo my braids Friday.

FoxxyLocs

I did a flexi rod set over a week ago. It's still holding up - in a pony now. I'll wash whenever I have a chance. Next I'll do a bantu knot set to give myself a break from the dryer.

CurlsBazillion

I'm holding in there, disappointed in myself for not being more gentle with my hair but I trimmed sometime around my bday (sept 18) and my ends are still in good shape. That's a great sign that the changes I made are all working for me, like not detangling roughly, keeping my hair in a protective styles longer, I went back to deep conditioning every single week but kept shampoo biweekly. Tonight I will cowash and bun until wash day (sunday)

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
WASH DAY!!!!!

Will be braiding back up tonight, I aint playing no games. Seriously I am hiding my hair LOL

Monaleezza

ms.tatiana said:
Got my new install on Friday this should be good until Christmas for me, I have been using the same hair since February and its holding up. Next time I install I will seal the wefts.

ms.tatiana seal the wefts with what?