2012 HYH Challenge Session 2 - July 1- December 31, 2012

JJamiah

In order to keep this challenge alive I am starting it over. I had no plans to join but found that with the passes I can get by. With little change I have cut and pasted all rules from the former Hostess @Mscoco 37.

Ladies, it’s time for the next phase of this challenge! We will be using the same rules as in previous challenges.

RULES:
  • Hide hair length with PSs (i.e. wigs, weaves, buns, braids, twists, etc).
  • You can take pic updates, but do not allow them to be publicly seen (exceptions - posting starting pix for other challenges).
  • You are allowed 4 free passes to wear your hair out. These can be used for other challenges.
  • Post your starting pix in this thread. I will post a reveal thread the final day of the challenge.
  • Please check in weekly. If you are struggling to find styles or losing motivation, check in so we can support each other.
  • ENJOY THE LENGTH YOU RETAIN ONCE THE CHALLENGE IS OVER!!!
  • This challenge will officially begin today & we will reveal on December 31st.

Participants, "Thank" this post & I will add your name to the list.
  • Introduce yourself:
  • Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience?
  • what length are you now?
  • What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?
  • WHat styles do you plan on wearing?
  • How often do switch up styles?
  • Any Advice for anyone just starting out:
Participants:

JJamiah
@Ann0804
@Aqua2012
@CurlsBazillion
@Forever in Bloom
@FoxxyLocs
@hair4romheaven
@Lynnerie
@mariele
@ronie
@Skiggle
@ZebraPrintLover
@Oneprettypa
@justjai
@xomonaijax
@HisBestFriend
@ms.tatiana
@charmtreese
@ojemba
@lushlady
@Seamonster
@irisak
Rossy2010

Last edited:

JJamiah

Introduce yourself: My name is JJamiah
Have you been in this challenge before? I have been in this challenge several times. My experience was always positive. I have gained length several times over, but most of all I enjoy the styles and they are very natural to me.

what length are you now? I am waist length.

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? I am not concentrating on length. I am more focused on health. But at tthe end of the challenge I hope to be at least whip length again.

WHat styles do you plan on wearing? I plan on wigging it, curlformers, and possible braids.

How often do switch up styles? I remove the braids for my wiggings every 3 weeks and do my curlformers week.

Any Advice for anyone just starting out: be realistic and find a style that works for you. Stay as close to what you like to do normally with your hair as possible. if your wigging it, a style similar to what your use to.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Introduce yourself:

Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience?
Yes probably back in 2010, not really sure but I have been in challenge before. I gained hair, so that was the upside. It allowed my hair to do its thing and for me to KIS and not jump on everything like I naturally want to do around this part of the board.

What length are you now?
Back to Neck Length

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?
Hope to be pass SL, but imma focus on the NG since I am tranny. I am hoping to have my NG at 5-6in.

What styles do you plan on wearing?
Wigs, wigs, wigs, oh yea and buns :look:......

How often do switch up styles?
Every month

Any Advice for anyone just starting out:
Be patient the growth will come.
Just because you are hiding you hair doesnt mean you can forget about it. It still needs LOVE....:grin:

Attachments

• Fresh Cut.jpg
    Fresh Cut.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

glamazon386

I'm in again. :yep:

Introduce yourself:
Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience? Yes. I've been participating since the first challenge. I've retained the hair I've grown.
what length are you now? APL
What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? Hopefully BSL
WHat styles do you plan on wearing? Protective Styles
How often do switch up styles? Once a week
Any Advice for anyone just starting out: None

Ann0804

Have you been in this challenge before? No
What length are you now? I believe SL
What length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? closer to APL
What styles do you plan on wearing? wigs, twists, scarves
How often do you switch up styles? Every three days
Any Advice for anyone just starting? Not at the moment.

FoxxyLocs

I said I wasn't doing this challenge again because I wanted to enjoy my hair more, but I PS 90% of the time anyway so I might as well join. 4 passes is plenty for me. I'm also in the healthy ends challenge, so hopefully between the two I can gain a few more inches for this year.

[*]Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience? I participated in Part II of last year's challenge, but I didn't retain any length because I was trimming away damage. PSing was good for the overall health of my hair though.

[*]what length are you now? WL

[*]What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? Who knows. TBL is my goal for this year but idk of I can do that. I'll be disappointed if I'm not HL by december.

[*]WHat styles do you plan on wearing? Twists and buns
[*]How often do switch up styles? I usually wash and style once a week

[*]Any Advice for anyone just starting out? HYH comes pretty easy to me because I PS most of the time anyway. I guess my advice is to find styles you like so out doesn't feel like a chore.

Sent from my HTC Evo

hair4romheaven

Yes I was in the last one

What length are you now?
IDK pic below. I think I am BSB

Close to MBL I truly don't know. I just want to retain all of my growth. ;-)

What styles do you plan on wearing?
Wigs on wigs on wigs ;-)

Once a month I will re-do my braids

hair growth starts within. Eat healthy, Take vitamins and drink lots of water. Working out helps tremendously.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience? Yes, and it was a good experience, learned a lot.
What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?BSL
WHat styles do you plan on wearing?Cornrows under wigs and buns during my wig breaks.
How often do switch up styles?Not often, if I get bored I get a new wig
Any Advice for anyone just starting out:If you get bored easily with ps styles just think of how much you are going to retain!

mariele

Yay! I'm in and ecstatic about this challenge.

Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience? I have not been in this challenge before, but I'm looking to a great experience.
What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge?BSL
WHat styles do you plan on wearing?Buns, twists, sew-ins, wigs
How often do switch up styles? I switch up mainly with wigs or extensions every other week, but mostly stick to my buns.
Any Advice for anyone just starting out: Hmmm...i'm thinking get creative with flowers, hair sticks, braid/twist styles. Think outside of the bun while keeping the hair inside of it LOL. :grin:

Last edited:

JJamiah

Thanks for joining ladies :)

We are in the summer season and I hope to see a lot of growth to bring in the new year with :)

I am due for another trim I just can't keep to a schedule. So I have one trim/cut due and pretty much I am judging based off my new growth. I am transitioning myself, so I hope to get a good 3 inches plus by the end of the year :)

:)

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :woohoo:

Glad you ladies are keeping me company :)

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
What length are you now?
IDK pic below. I think I am BSB

hair growth starts within. Eat healthy, Take vitamins and drink lots of water. Working out helps tremendously.

hair4romheaven, you are already BSL; to me at least anyways :look:
Also good advice, I am on this now. Making sure I drink my water and taking my vits daily.

Thanks for joining ladies :)

We are in the summer season and I hope to see a lot of growth to bring in the new year with :)

I am due for another trim I just can't keep to a schedule. So I have one trim/cut due and pretty much I am judging based off my new growth. I am transitioning myself, so I hope to get a good 3 inches plus by the end of the year :)

:)

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :woohoo:

Glad you ladies are keeping me company :)

JJamiah, you and me both.

Aqua2012

Introduce yourself:
Have you been in this challenge before? Not formally
what length are you now? NL
What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? SL- I have fine 4a hair, so I am looking forward to thickness more than anything
WHat styles do you plan on wearing? Mostly wigs and weaves
How often do switch up styles? Very often- switch up wigs and weaves every 2 weeks

Any Advice for anyone just starting out: I will take all the advice I can get!
I've been passively growing my hair for a few years with a million setbacks. Now I am super serious and want results. The pic below is from Jan 2011, but my hair is about this length now

Attachments

• image-784577192.jpg
    image-784577192.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 24

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Imma try to get on it this weekend and make my short due to hold me over for the month and if I accomplish that I will go get my hair braided at the beginning of nxt week.

JJamiah

My pic is here, I am really going by my new growth and not my full length. I am a transitioner, I guess we can go by the bumps in my hair :giggle:

24 months to go :grin:

I am trying to get there :yep:

Attachments

• 51 weeks post.jpg
    51 weeks post.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 27

Lynnerie

Have you been in this challenge before? First time.

What length are you now? Past collar-bone

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? APL

What styles do you plan on wearing? Protective Styles like buns and braids

How often do switch up styles? Trying to keep in styles for 2 weeks at a time. Braids longer ofcourse.

I will post a pic later.

JJamiah

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Glad you all joined.

I get excited about the beginning of the challenge this time of the year. This is my growing time. While I get very little in the beginning :grin:

growinginstyle

Have you been in this challenge before? what was your experience? I'm new to the site and to the challenge.
What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? Full APL or grazing BSL
What styles do you plan on wearing? Half wigs and maybe a twist out or two.
How often do switch up styles? Every two weeks.
Any Advice for anyone just starting out: No advice, but I'm really looking forward to this challenge.

Last edited:

xomonaijax

Introduce yourself: omonaija

Have you been in this challenge before? No

what length are you now? NL and SL

What Length do you believe you'll be by the end of this challenge? Full APL

WHat styles do you plan on wearing? Wigs, buns, twists and braids.

How often do switch up styles? Every month or two depending on style.

Any Advice for anyone just starting out: Be consistent :)

Oneprettypa

Hey Ladies!!!

I'm new to the challenge but it's perfect timing!

I'm currently at NL/SL but my goal is full APL by the end of the challenge.

My plan is to stay consistent with sew ins but continuing to shampoo/condition a needed.

You can always switch it up with different sew in styles!!

Happy hair growing!!!

FoxxyLocs

I'm in the process of putting small (not quite mini) braids in my hair. I started on Thursday and I'm not even half way done. I'm taking my time so I don't get frustrated. Whenever I finish I'll be bunning for a couple of weeks, or however long they last.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Since my wash day (7/13) I have been wearing my faux go to bun....I will get a picture once I put it back on tomorrow for church, doubt if I am leaving the house today.

After the wash I did all the fancy stuff like M&S and let it airdry a little (few hours) and molded it into its permanent bun until Tuesday when I CW.

What are you ladies doing to your hair?

JJamiah

I am anxiously waiting to remove these braids wash my hair and braid it back up again. I have a 3 week schedule for these braids and I am already ready to remove them by force :look:

But I can't LOL

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am anxiously waiting to remove these braids wash my hair and braid it back up again. I have a 3 week schedule for these braids and I am already ready to remove them by force :look:

But I can't LOL

JJamiah
Once I find a wig I like I will be doing the same thing, might even make it a 4 week thing. Or 3 weeks then a bun for a week.

My only concern is how do you wash, if you do wash. Whats your regimen while in braids?

ilong

God's Own

But I can't LOL

Ditto that JJamiah - with this sew-in of BSS weaved hair that has transformed into a MOP::sad:

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Finished my braids. I would say it took about 8 hours, but I split it up over 4 says so it didn't seem that bad. I braided about 75-80% of the length and then twisted down to the ends - makes the takedown easier. I moisturized the ends with AOWC and sealed w/vaseline (bc it was handy). I also dusted each one as I was braiding. My ends seem to be in good shape.

Sent from my HTC Evo

JJamiah

@JJamiah
Once I find a wig I like I will be doing the same thing, might even make it a 4 week thing. Or 3 weeks then a bun for a week.

My only concern is how do you wash, if you do wash. Whats your regimen while in braids?

Sorry I missed this.

I don't wash while in braids. I moisturize weekly and grease my scalp with Hairitage Hydration creams.

I have washed in my braids but suffer with my hair matting up. So I only leave the braids in for 3 weeks maximum. I try to leave my hair out for a week in between each braid up. GIve it a little extra conditioning. As you know I have my months where I braid it up and then my times where I don't. So during the times when it isn't braided I wash weekly.

ZebraPrintLover

Forever in Bloom

I started this challenge at the beginning of last year, so almost 2 years. I haven't had anything BUT success (retention) :yep:

I am currently MBL and am racing towards WSL hair. In my relaxer days/pre-LHCF, I remained at neck length/shoulder length for about 13 years because I didn't know how to take care of my hair, more or less growing it out.

I'm hoping I'll be at WSL by the end of this challenge:drunk:

I pretty much only wear my hair in twists, but do multiple styles with them, wear scarves and other hair accessories.

I don't often veer from what has been working for me :rolleyes: I never really wear my hair out because I work around a lot of dirty ol' men in construction- that would get me in trouble! I try to keep my hair neutrally styled while growing it out because I would hate to crack a skull or two for manhandling my hair :bat:

ms.tatiana

Hello!

I've been in this challenge before & I've had a lot of process.

What length are you now?
Right now at the top of BSL.

Mid-Back would be nice by Dec.

WHat styles do you plan on wearing?
I like weaves, but I'm also a cheap person so I will bun and wear braidouts.

Weaves every 8 to10 weeks.

Hiding your hair also mines protecting and taking care of it.