**2010 Braid Challenge**........sign-up here

Foufie

Everyone is doing so WELL. This challenge is the bomb-bizzy!

Sooooo I took out my individual braids w/o ext today. Washed conditioned and blowed out. Will be corn rolling for the remainder of the month under my wig. My hair has really grown and keeping EVERY bit of it!!!!!!! I am so excited that I have a BAA.

shunemite

Took out micros after 8 weeks and got some new ones put in. Looks like for me my hair really likes Human hair and doesn't like braid spray. I tried this go without braid spray and with human hair, and I didn't really lose much hair. Also told the lady to braid my edges extra large to keep them in. :)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Just did my first self-installed braids....Um,not sure if I'll ever do it myself again.:look:

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-05-16 at 19.29.jpg
    Photo on 2010-05-16 at 19.29.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Photo on 2010-05-16 at 19.29 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-05-16 at 19.29 #2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28

manter26

*** 7 month Update*** (very long)

I'm so glad I joined this challenge! :grin:

I was born and raised till age 6 in Notts, UK. There weren't a lot of black people in my classes. My mom had us all in big ol, tacky looking braids/plaits. When we got to the US, my sisters and I looked odd b/c everyone else had relaxed hair in elementary school. We begged my mom for a relaxer and of course our BSL hair broke off to chin and ear length over the years.

I stopped relaxing Mar 09 and BC'd July 09. I realized that although, I looked a mess with my mom's braids, my hair was in the best condition (relaxed or natural) when I was in box braids with my own hair.

I put my first set of braids in Oct 2009:

:lachen: I hated having short hair, but I had to make it work...

I cowashed to get the ends to curl and wore it like this:

In Feb 2010 I was here:

Comparison Oct 09 vs. Feb 10

These are my braids today, May 2010:

I'm going to need a new protective style, my ends still touch my collar with my banana clip... :ohwell:

I'm happy with my progress! :grin::grin: I've tried braids with extensions and I find they are brutal on my ends b/c the poke out and get frayed. I plan to follow a reggie similar to @Nonie and redo braids as they start looking tatty (about every 4 weeks). I shampoo, cowash, DC and everything else in braids. I'm going to stick to this until December, only taking out my entire head to change the design.

Last edited:

gvin89

Ok, I plan to keep braids for the remainder of the year. Can some of you post pics of individual (not micro) braids with human hair? I'm suppose to get installed this weekend and cannot decide what kind of braids to get.

purplepeace79

I havent been on LHCF in a minute but I'm still working this challenge.

I've been in self-stalled braids for four weeks. This is my last week, they're coming out next weekend. I usually dont go longer than 4 weeks, but I've been busy.

Here they are (synthetic hair):

I cut about 2-3 inches right before putting these braids in. I've decided to begin cutting the colored ends off, slowly but surely.

purplepeace79

I missed the deadline for the braid challenge (by months im a newbie )
but for maintaining the scalp
do you ladies reckon it would be a good or bad idea to add sulfur to a braid spray and spray my scalp with
I just find it easier than using my beemine with an applicator nozzle??:feedback:

I love sulfur 8 and swear by it when I have braids.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Checking in: I was determined, but I'm dropping out of C&G. Will do natural braids... weeks at a time...

gvin89

I got small individuals with synthetic hair...plan to keep them in 2-3 months, take a 2 week rest, and get more. Will remain in braids for the rest of 2010.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I washed my hair for the first time today since braiding for the second time this year, I also did a DC for 45min.

coolsista-paris

hi ladies! here is a pic of braids i did in 13th of may.

as my hair has already shown growth, my braids are getting messy. But COOL! its growth isn't it? i think i'll take them out either next week (that will make it 4 weeks with braids) or wait 2 weeks more to make it 6. but i'll see...

My-Foolish-Heart

Taking out my micros this weekend and giving my hair a 2 week break before installing a sew-in for the rest of the summer. I guess that still counts cause my hair will be braided.

Aggie

I won't be braiding my hair until my shealoe butter arrives. I want to rock a twist/braid-out with it first, then get my hair braided again.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I've been out of braids for about a month I think, I had to give dh his fix now I'm back, doing natural box braids for the rest of the challenge.

GreenD

OMG, I've had my cornrows in for a minute and they look horrible!! I mean after I put the braids in I couldn't see the part because my hair is so thick up top, now it's just a sea of fuzz with what looks to be braids on top/in the midst. I'll probably take the top and middle rows out tomorrow to straighten to trim and then rebraid.

We're hovering around the half way mark ladies, only 6 more months to go!!!

CORBINS

Still in braids. No breaks yet. I just rebraided.....hair is very long, to waist. Hope to be strong enough to keep braids in until the end of the year!

djkforeal

Checking in, I am still in braids that I do myself, I think I am getting better at it, you can't even really see them under my lace wigs so that's good. I am changing them up each time I take them down and re-do them so I don't put the same stress in the areas. I think my hair is getting longer but I feel like I am not getting much thickness from the braids being in for weeks at a time cause when I take them down for a good shampoo and deep condition there is so much shed hair that I can't really stand it and I don't know how to relieve this issue because our hair sheds naturally but I want to keep it:wallbash:... Well, I also have been oiling my scalp with nature's blessings and JBCO/Kemy Oil/Jojoba oil mix, and my scalp loves it, I also started using Aphogee Keratin and GreenTea Reconstructor spray on my braids followed by a mixture of spring water/care free curl activator lotion/JBCO and EVOO in a spray bottle. I started using these for strength and moisture for my braids but I only get to do this on the weekends when I remove my FLW :nono:, I wish I could do it more, but I just love my laces!

Maracujá

I just washed my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and I'm now sitting under the dryer with a deep treatment by Vatika (45min). I'm gonna take out my braids around july 15th, that will make it almost three months with my second set of braids and I'm gonna get some new ones - hope my sister has time - around the same time too.

SexySin985

I know I'm late:rolleyes: But I originally planned on geting braids for the last 6 months of the year. So July 1st is when I get my braids and will wear them until Dec 31:grin:

I will be back on 7/1 to update this thread with my starting pics, proposed regimen, and also pics of the braids.

HHG to all and I wish you all continued success!:drunk:

orangepeel

I'm still here! I just put some braids back in. This time I decided to to regular braids instead of twists. I think I will keep these in until August, rest for 2 weeks and then try some crochet braids. I'm going to spend the next few weeks learning how to properly self install.

Curly Lee

8 more days! Till I get to take these yarn braids down! Yayayaya. I really liked the styles, I got lots of compliments but I've been itching to touch my real hair! I'm taking them down on the 30th which will only make 26 days but I want to have a new style in for July 4th After I take these down I'm doing a bentonite treatment and a deep conditioner. Then 2 days after that I'm doing a henna treatment and putting crochet braids in for the month of July.

Prinncipality

I took my braids out on sunday. My new growth feels so wonderful but my strands feel so rough. I'm about 4 months post right now--my longest stretch so maybe thats it.

lovelyone80

I just had a three week break. My hair needed it badly and I was so busy at work I didn't have time to get it braided. Every weekend I DC'ed tho.
On sat i got senegalese twist again. they are skinnier this time...i love them a lot more because it's not half as heavy as they were previously. i didn't do a proper length check but the Mr told me my hair looked a lot longer so I guess he's right. the back is past APL now.

Maracujá

I just washed my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and I'm now sitting under the dryer with a deep treatment by Vatika (45min). I'm gonna take out my braids around july 15th, that will make it almost three months with my second set of braids and I'm gonna get some new ones - hope my sister has time - around the same time too.

I`m taking out my braids and I`ve decided to give my hair a 3 months break before braiding again, my ends are horrible! I`m gonna do cornrows or two strand twists in the meantime.