**2010 Braid Challenge**........sign-up here

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I did some two strand twists on my hair and I'm gonna keep it for about three weeks, I will braid my hair again around september.

coolsista-paris

hey ladies! cheking in! i got these done last saturday! :

its itching like hell, and already starting to get a little bit messy compared to first day. even sleeping with a scarf! it seems like im getting growth though.

Aggie

The extension braids I have in is now 2 weeks post and still looking okay but I can see a tiny bit of frizz now showing. I think it happened after my last wash. I need to wash it again but I'm feeling kinda lazy and don't want wet hair hanging down my back right now anyway:nono:.

djkforeal

Hi all braiders...
I am still rockin my self installed braids under my lace wigs and I have to say that I am noticing some growth but this technique has seemed to make my fine strands even finer :nono:. I don't know if it is from leaving them in for 4-5 weeks because when I take them down I lose a lot of shed hair. I decided that I will not touch my hair with anything but my very wide tooth comb when I detangle them after take down and any other time for that matter. I just took a picture of the back braids to see the hangtime that I am getting now, but I would appreciate any input on how to thicken up hair while going through this challenge. I am not a faithful deep conditioner, but I can step that up and try to do weekly treatments even while in braids. I did a trim over the 4th of July weekend and ended up cutting off about 1.5 inches. I flat ironed my hair using Argan Oil as a heat protectant and I really liked the results, my hair was bone straight after I wrapped it which made it look even thinner to me :look:. I wore my hair out for the week to let my scalp breath and enjoy my hair. I put a picture of my current hair length stretched. I did these braids over this past weekend 7/10/10 and plan to leave them in for 4-6 weeks.

Attachments

• braid out length check 0707001054[1].JPG
    braid out length check 0707001054[1].JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 14
  • braids getting longer 0711001741[1].JPG
    braids getting longer 0711001741[1].JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 14

Aggie

Hi all braiders...
I am still rockin my self installed braids under my lace wigs and I have to say that I am noticing some growth but this technique has seemed to make my fine strands even finer :nono:. I don't know if it is from leaving them in for 4-5 weeks because when I take them down I lose a lot of shed hair. I decided that I will not touch my hair with anything but my very wide tooth comb when I detangle them after take down and any other time for that matter. I just took a picture of the back braids to see the hangtime that I am getting now, but I would appreciate any input on how to thicken up hair while going through this challenge. I am not a faithful deep conditioner, but I can step that up and try to do weekly treatments even while in braids. I did a trim over the 4th of July weekend and ended up cutting off about 1.5 inches. I flat ironed my hair using Argan Oil as a heat protectant and I really liked the results, my hair was bone straight after I wrapped it which made it look even thinner to me :look:. I wore my hair out for the week to let my scalp breath and enjoy my hair. I put a picture of my current hair length stretched. I did these braids over this past weekend 7/10/10 and plan to leave them in for 4-6 weeks.

If your haven't already, you can try the Crown & Glory method of caring for your braided hair. I like that technique because for me it actually works and works well at helping me retain length and thickness:yep:.

djkforeal

Thanks Aggie,
Yes you are right, there is a lot of useful information on that site and I will be adopting that method as well :yep:. I bought the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea reconstructer for protein and I made my own moisturizing mist, the only problem is that I only get to do it on the weekends which I don't feel is enough. So once I am comfortable with lace fronts instead of full laces, I will take off the lace front every 2-3 days so I can get to my hair. I do not like the combs in the wigs because they irritate my scalp and rub on it too much, which is why I prefer glueing them down to my skin :look:. Thanks again, I do like the C&G though.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie,
Yes you are right, there is a lot of useful information on that site and I will be adopting that method as well :yep:. I bought the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea reconstructer for protein and I made my own moisturizing mist, the only problem is that I only get to do it on the weekends which I don't feel is enough. So once I am comfortable with lace fronts instead of full laces, I will take off the lace front every 2-3 days so I can get to my hair. I do not like the combs in the wigs because they irritate my scalp and rub on it too much, which is why I prefer glueing them down to my skin :look:. Thanks again, I do like the C&G though.

You are most welcomed. I have the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea reconstructor as well and will be using it today on my braids after my DC:yep:.

gvin89

Still in braids...just had edges rebraided. Had noticeable growth and expecting to keep braids until September. At that time, I'll take pics of where I am.

GreenD

Hey ladies, just checking in. I took my braids out from about a month ago and decided to put in flat twists. I'll probably take these out over the weekend to rock a twist out and then next week I'll probably put cornrows back in.

Jozze

Just checking in to let everyone know that I'm still around just really busy with family, school and work. I've been wearing crochet braids for a month at a time (since April) before removing them and giving my hair A LOT of TLC for a week or two then reinstalling.
I had my 1st naturalversary last week and straightened my hair to measure for the first time since my BC. I was so shocked because I have had such tremendous growth this year! I put 90% of this down to this braid challenge; the C&G method; eating right and exercise. Sorry guys, I didn't think to take photos:spinning: but I will after my next take down in September.:yep: . Thanks so much LHCF!:grin:

lovelyone80

it's been about a month! (more like 5 weeks) with this latest set

I washed today...but didn't DC. I did put a leave in conditioner in it tho. I didn't too much because natural hair gets extra frizzy in braids. I want these to last at least 5 more weeks. they actually don't look bad. I am in love with the sengalese twist.

ojemba

i;ve been in cornrows (with extensions) for the past two weeks. I wash and con every saturday and moisuture and seal every day. I am using a sulu/bee mine mix on my scalp from mon-fri. I have about 1/4 of ng to date. I hope to keep this install for 4 more weeks but I'm not sure.

manter26

I'm still in this and going strong. I haven't been out of braids for more than a week. On my off days I'm usually rocking a braidout anyway. I've decided to take a pass and flat iron my hair Sept 18th for a football party. I'm using the party as an excuse for a length check.

Ms.London

I know ladies i haven't been checking in like at all lol......but im still in the game i was actually braided up under a wig at the beginning of this challenge all the way to april and i completely neglected my hair......Beginning of may i knew i had to make a change i said goodbye to my wig and slapped some on synthetic braids i now wash and condition bi-weekly i oil my scalp nightly and mist/moisturise daily and my hair is thriving....ive had about 1 1/2 growth since may to now and im determined not to fall off my bandwagon again........HHJ ladies :)

Aggie

I will be getting the parameters of my extension braids re-done on Sunday. I think they can last another 3 weeks at least:yep:.

gvin89

Just had the middle redone....lots of new growth. Excited to see where I'll be at the end of September. I use my moisturizing spritz daily, oil my scalp as needed, and spray with the Aphoghee reconstructor weekly. I wash & condition weekly as well. Happy Growing ladies...

Jozze

Update: Took hair out of crochet braids for a week of TLC and took photos (see siggy). I'm back in crochet braids for another month. This time I put in summery light brown curls (see avatar-:rolleyes:@ my pic- It's an inside joke with my teenaged DD who poses for every photo like an anime girl!):lachen:

tricie

Hi, ladies,

Checking in for August! I removed my micros this weekend, and am attempting wet bunning for a month or so for my allowed break. Not going well so far (see my post today), but I'm gonna stick with it for now. My hair is thick and has grown a lot.

HHG!

Misseyl

:update: Rocking braids, non-stop, since December 2009. Last relaxer was done in October 2009. I'm going to wash and rebraid this weekend. If I go according to my schedule, I'll get a touch-up anytime after December 2010. Let's see, 16 more months to go.

ojemba

1 more week with these braids. This weekend I'm going to treat my hair with a super treatment. I plan to:

Wash with aphogee damage shampoo
Applying aphogee keratin reconsturctor for 10-20 min
Deep Con with Alter Ego and aphogee Con for 30 min
Leave in – aphogee green tea and vitamin and bee mine hair milk

When dry – oil scalp with jbco and moisture and seal with bee mine moisturizer and coconut/wgo mix

This will get me ready to take out next week Friday.

tricie

Hi, ladies,

Checking in for September (geez, it's already September; WTH? :) ); my braids are currently out for the allowed break.

I took out my micros in August to give it a break, and am currently wearing either Flexi-rod sets, twistouts, or (mostly) wet bunning with a phony pony. This break has allowed me to wet bun, baggy (whole head), and apply conditioning treatments (like henna).

I'll probably get braided up again in time for the holidays for convenience, and to round out the end of the challenge.

HHG!

ojemba

Hi Ladies,

This is a pic of my recent self install extensions. I hope to keep these in for about 3 weeks.

djkforeal

Hi all,
Just wanted to check in and say that I am still in this challenge but it is getting very hard for me to keep going. This past weekend I took down braids that I had in for about a month to shampoo and deep condition and let my scalp breathe. Then I sectioned my hair into four sections and twisted the sections to let them air dry. The next day I took down the twist and had a wonderful twist out going on and I was enjoying my hair. I struggled to get into the mood to braid my hair back up and I had this strong urge to not do it...so I just braided my hair in big sections and threw my wig on this morning. I don't know why I am not feeling like braiding my own hair anymore, I think it is just plain laziness and not wanting to do the work myself. Is anyone else having this problem this late in the game? I do not want to give up because I am seeing growth and retaining length that I can realize for the first time since I was a child. I hope I can hold on until the end of the year. It is so hard because my b-day is coming up in a couple of weeks and I want to wear my hair out, so we will see.

manter26

I've been on a long break...it's been 2.5 weeks out of braids, seems like longer. I'm getting a sew in on Thursday and I plan to twist/twist-out the leave out hair.

shunemite

Checking in again, got some singles done yesterday and she did a really good job on it. I had a set back because one of the ladies I paid to take down my braids accidentally or intentionally CUT MY HAIR!!! So I don't know if I can trust paying someone to take down my braids, it's disheartening when someone just cuts your hair like that.

Aggie

My extension braids are out but I will be plaiting down my natural hair and keeping it under wigs for a few weeks.

Jozze

I removed my crochet braids last Wednesday. I have washed; henna'd; deep conditoned under steamer then cornrowed my hair. Next week I will put in customed made kinky curly exensions for six to eight weeks co-washing in shower everyday. I'll post a pic of results soon.