**2010 Braid Challenge**........sign-up here

esi.adokowa

just took out my braids last night.
now i have cornrows in, and i think i'm going to put in some crochet braids.
we shall see :]]

Minnie

Checking in..... I got my braided in individuals on Wed. I had been wearing my hair in cornrows under a wig this year. My edges were breaking I am guessing from the rubbing of the wig.

orangepeel

Checking in. After way too long in braids took them today. Going to baby my hair and then in 2 weeks re do some twists. Liking what I am seeing, not looking forward to the long detangle session coming up.

winnettag

I don't think I updated since I joined.
I've been wearing cornrows up until last weekend when I put in individual braids w/ extensions. I'll try to leave these in for 6 months, getting them re-done when they get too frizzy.
I'm using the protective bodifier mist but I might try "the juice" when I run out.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
:pepper:

yay... made it to the end of March!

Taking braids out this weekend, will do a DC and wear natural cornrows for 2 weeks (1 week, then DC; 2nd week, then DC) before I do extensions again. At least, that's the game plan.

For those doing C&G -- Anyone taking progress pix along the way?

Jozze

I just finished putting in medium size box braids without extensions. I hope to wear them for at least a two weeks to a month, depending how well they hold out. I will continue to wet bun daily and baggy my ends underneath my phony puff.

Last edited:

Foufie

Yeah I made it the three weeks with natural cornorows tomorrow! I am going to unbraid and wear as a poofy braid out and then DC on Sunday! Kay thats the plan!!!!!

naturalepiphany

Ok I'm checking in I know I've been M.I.A. I took a break in mid January then went back to braids, fortunately I don't have pics cause both styles came out horrible. One I kept for a week the other a month because I could kind of camouflage it with my hat. I swear I was in class sweating for the whole month of February because I didn't want to show my hair. I took a break in March. Now I'm back in braids, but this time for the rest of the year, if I do take a break it'll probably only be for a week at the most. This time I took pics they came out fairly well (I should have taken a pic of the back, :ohwell: next time). I never would have thought I'd be doing cornrows without extensions. My hair is now the length of what I would cut my braid extensions to so I would really just be wasting hair:nono:

Attachments

• 040110220557.jpg
    040110220557.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 040110220452.jpg
    040110220452.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 17

GreenD

I'm about to wash and put in small box braids w/my hair and try to keep them in for 1 month at a time, and re-do one by one each month. I'll probably take these down around the end of June before my bday.

Update:
Here are my pics of my hair that I finished this morning. :yep:

Attachments

• HPIM2003.jpg
    HPIM2003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM2004.jpg
    HPIM2004.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM2000.jpg
    HPIM2000.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM2001.jpg
    HPIM2001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM2002.jpg
    HPIM2002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I'm DC'ing as I type, my mom helped me take my braids out yesterday. I'm gonna rock two strand twists for about three weeks and hopefully my sister will braid my hair again at the end of april.

What I did while in braids: wash my hair twice - deep conditioned once - used an instant conditioner once - moisturized on occasion - did scalp massages every week or so

What I should've done (and will try to do the next time): wash my hair every month - deep condition each time - moisturize more frequently - do scalp massages religiously

Foufie

Just took out my braids friday. Well my hair was very moisturised and soft thanks to C & G the wig challenge and Juice retention challenge. I put 8 fresh cornrows in last night and my wig back on. SInce these are bigger I will redo after a week and a half or so

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
i'm pretty sure that after i take out these braids next month, i'm dropping out of this challenge. i miss my hair

It's not easy. My financial situation might change around june and I have no idea if I'll have enough money to buy human hair and go to Holland (to my sister) to get my hair braided. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Laela

I'm in week 1 of my 'break' from the extensions and wearing cornrows
STYLING
when I go out, I put on a half-wig. At home, my hair is tied. I'll DC again this weekend and do another week of cornrows before I re-braid.

If anyone has super-thick hair, this DC is excellent. My natural is resilient and shiny, as a result
Fantasia IC

Then I add shea butter to air dry and braid the cornrows with a touch of olive oil hair glaze so they stay neat.

[I'm trying to wean myself off commercial products...but, that's another thread :drunk:)

Aggie

I undid my big braids and now I am hennaing my hair for a couple of hours. I will rebraid it and slap my wig right back on tomorrow or wear a bun for a few days, not sure yet.

Laela

In second week of "braid break".... wearing a half-wig with big plaits underneath. I'm not looking forward to putting in the braids this time, but I'm determined to stick to this challenge.

Aggie

Well I decided on the bun instead of the wig over braided hair for a week or two. It's just a short break but I'll be back to my braid regimen again soon:yep:.

Platinum

I removed my Senegalese Twists a few weeks ago and I think I'll have it braided up again. I love the STs but I want to try something different, I may try crochet braids or a sew-in. My hair is so thick since I'm almost a year post relaxer, I'm not sure if I want to go back to micros.

esi.adokowa

just took out my braids last night.
now i have cornrows in, and i think i'm going to put in some crochet braids.
we shall see :]]

decided not to put the crochet braids in, didn't have time.
i've been wearing a wig over my cornrows and i love it.

new routine:
i moisturize my ends nightly, shampoo weekly, and dc 3x a week.
i take the braids down, detangle, and redo them every friday.

Misseyl

Update: I finally posted some pictures in my fotki. Not much but enough to show what I'm dealing with. PW: Mistee

PaleoChick

Still in box braids after wrist fracture. Will take them out in a week or so as my wrist splint comes off. I have no idea how long my hair is, but I am enjoying the journey.

julzinha

I have been using this time while I am in braids to apply growth aids daily and wash my scalp twice a week so far I am getting great growth. And since I am natural and my braids are pretty tight I think it is growth instead of the braids getting loose.

My-Foolish-Heart

I haven't updated in what seems like forever. I've been letting my hair breathe for the past 8 weeks since my relaxer so that I can nurse it back to health a little. I've been wearing my hair in cornrows under a half wig. Tomorrow I will be having micros installed to get me through the summer. Wasn't planning on stretching for 6 months again, but it's looking like it's going that route. Hopefully I'll be brushing APL after this next install.

Foufie

Just got my hair braided in individual braids w/o extensions. I have to get used to this.,....its kind of scalpy....though. But overall I like it. Will try and keep them for a minimum of a month.

Rapunzel*

i had my partial sew in since 3rd week of march, and tuesday i added braids to the front of my head, i got tired of blending with all the gel and such, so far so good

Foufie

These are the pics of my braids with no extensions....I am using this time (as usual) to apply MT to my scalp and castor oil to my ends.

Attachments

• plaits 1.jpg
    plaits 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 21
  • plaits 2.jpg
    plaits 2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 23
  • plaits 3.jpg
    plaits 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 21
  • plaits 4.jpg
    plaits 4.jpg