2.5 year progress pics (Long post/pics)

Hi Ladies! How are you? Well i have never posted on here before, for a long time i was a lurker then i joined the forum. I big chopped Novemeber 2008 with plans to grow long healthy hair. I kept my hair natural, i was tired of doing the whole relaxing process and watching my hair break at the hair dresser. I kept my hair hidden under weave. My hair has never been long before in my life maybe the longest has been about shoulder if that. I always wanted to have long hair and as a child my mom told me i just didnt have the genes for it. She permed my hair when i was 6 and because my hair never grew long I kinda just believe her. Anyway, I hardly take pics of my hair, i am a natural who is still finding her way in styles so i have used weaves, kinky twist, and phony ponys to help me a long my journey and i am still learning a lot. I came on here to introduce myself and show the progress that i have made so far, i am curious about the change in the thickness of my hair... my hair used to be hard and straw l have for the past year been concentrating on moisture, but now that my hair is more moisturized it looks completely different, i haven't noticed any breaking or excessive shedding but hair appears much thinner when straight. Sorry if i am not the best at taking progress pics, i am new at this i will probably get a cool shirt with lines on it or something soon

thats me a little after my big chop in early 2009

My first Dominican blow out Feb 2010, my hair was hard and straw like but very thick

flat ironed hair two days ago

hair after rollersetting
Any suggestions/opinions about the thickness of my hair .....? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

prettypithy

Hmm, I do see a difference in thickness between the first straight pic and the second one. Is it thin all over or just on the ends? If it is just the ends then there may be an issue with mechanical breakage. Are you doing low manipulation or protective styles? Good progress, either way!

Hmm, I do see a difference in thickness between the first straight pic and the second one. Is it thin all over or just on the ends? If it is just the ends then there may be an issue with mechanical breakage. Are you doing low manipulation or protective styles? Good progress, either way!

the hair seems thinner all over generally just feels like a different head of hair it is very soft now and it used to feel brittle before when it was thicker, i don't straighten my hair much, once every couple of months i do mostly protective styles but i would like to keep my softness and thickness i just want to catch this early on just incase its a problem and i end up looking like this

:nono::nono:

ms.blue

It appears thinner but it could be that your hair is at different lengths. Maybe a trim will make your appear thicker but your progress is amazing!

Solitude

Congrats on your natural journey. Do you wear your hair in natural styles or do you mostly heat style? The heat styling may be thinning your hair out (by causing breakage, etc.)

hey ladies thanks for your replies, i rarely wear my hair straight i straightened it really to see my progress and see how my ends were doing and where needed a trim. My hair is still all natural so i've never relaxed or texlaed i wear mostly twist or phony pony

faithVA

Excellent progress.

It may not be that your hair is thinner. You may have fine hair with dense strands. So your hair can seem thinner depending on what you use and how you are straightening your hair. In your pic your hair looks a little weighted down which can take the volume out of your hair.

Unfortunately I know nothing about straightening techniques to guide you. But I do think using a different technique and different products while straightening will give you that fuller look you are use to.

BlaqBella

^^ Yep, what FaithVA said and I agree with some others on the possibilities of what causes this (because my hair is this way too, but mine was never as thick as yours was as a natural). Well, only when I used henna regularly. And btw..when I blow dry with my denman brush (and use certain amounts of certain products-which I haven't exactly pinpointed yet) I get more volume. If you figure something out in the future, don't forget to share it with us, and I will do the same.

CuteMeeka

The first picture is from a professional Dominican blow out. I'm sure the stylist also used products to give the volume and texture you see in the first picture. Maybe you can think about changing the process you use when you do it yourself (add something good for volume and shine). She may have also given you a protein treatment during your visit which made your hair feel straw-like for a few days.

The second pic seems like your hair is weighted with oils which can make it appear thinner. I found a really good video on flat ironing hair that may be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg.

Either way... great progress.

HTH

Excellent progress.

It may not be that your hair is thinner. You may have fine hair with dense strands. So your hair can seem thinner depending on what you use and how you are straightening your hair. In your pic your hair looks a little weighted down which can take the volume out of your hair.

Unfortunately I know nothing about straightening techniques to guide you. But I do think using a different technique and different products while straightening will give you that fuller look you are use to.

Yes i definitely think you are on to something here, that i didn't think about. The first pic hair was blown out with a round brush and second picture is strectched hair that i used a flat iron and did comb and chase method on small sections of hair, hair definitely looks flatter.

Thanks for your replies ladies! all you are my inspritation....now that i am getting the hair down pact, on the the dream body...off to the gym !!:lachen: