12 inches in 12 months - 2014

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

It's difficult for me to massage daily too!

I do inversions as well by flipping over the couch/bed (I'm strongly considering buying an inversion table). Ive only been doing it for a 3-4 weeks but I swear there are a number of great benefits other than hair growth. Inversions = anti-aging! (a co-worker asked if "I had work done" :lachen: Wha!!!!)

I'm also using cayenne pepper (at least 100,000 HU) for blood flow/circulation.

Last edited:

cocoamomma

whole goats milk
ice chips
1 banana
handful of greens (spinach or kale usually)
raspberries/ strawberries (depends on whats in the garden)
big spoon of honey :lick:
teaspoon of raw cacao (or unsweeteened cocoa powder)

its yummy and i dont have to go to the shops to get stuff. i dont drink the same one everyday. it depends on whats going on in the cupboard/garden to be honest

That smoothie sounds so tasty and it doesn't seem like it's that involved. Do you mix together in a blender?

I love liquid gold. It has really helped my hair turn around. I'm affiliated with the company so I won't say much else. I am hoping that using it along with the inversions will give me over an inch per month. My goal is hip length by the end of the year.

After you posted about liquid gold, I went to their website and read some of the testimonials and they raved about it. I ordered 2 bottles of NJoy's and I got a reaction from it. Someone here suggested I dilute NJoy's with other oils which I'm planning on doing because I don't want it to go to waste. Right now I'm using MTG and I have no reaction. Do you have any reaction to the liquid gold?

It's difficult for me to massage daily too!

I do inversions as well by flipping over the couch/bed (I'm strongly considering buy an inversion table). Ive only been doing it for a 3-4 weeks but I swear there are a number of great benefits other than hair growth. Inversions = anti-aging! (a co-worker asked if "I had work done" :lachen: Wha!!!!)

I'm also using cayenne pepper (at least 100,000 HU) for blood flow/circulation.

Yes I agree about the inversion method, there are so many benefits. I feel so relaxed when I finish doing my headstand. Anti-aging is definitely a plus for me! Laying on a slant board can also be substituted for the headstand. Cayenne pepper is da bomb. It helps with everything from improving heart conditions, to hair health benefits. I wish I could use it more, but because I'm in plaits/braids, I don't want the particles to get caught in my hair. I will be using it when I come out of plaits at least once a month.

hi I think I will join in this challenge. I did the BC two weeks ago so my profile lenght TWA. My regimen

i cowash 2x3 times a week with VO5. I wash weekly with either shea moisture or loreal. I DC every time i cowash and i also do oil treatments before shampooing. I clarify once a month.

i try to drink 64 oz water...still working on that. I take a hair, skin and nails vitamin which has 3000 biotin, iron and a multivit. Will be stepping up my exercise next week.

hi I think I will join in this challenge. I did the BC two weeks ago so my profile lenght TWA. My regimen

i cowash 2x3 times a week with VO5. I wash weekly with either shea moisture or loreal. I DC every time i cowash and i also do oil treatments before shampooing. I clarify once a month.

i try to drink 64 oz water...still working on that. I take a hair, skin and nails vitamin which has 3000 biotin, iron and a multivit. Will be stepping up my exercise next week.

Just want to say welcome! Glad that you decided to join us. We try to check in every week to see how everyone is doing and to share tips/suggestions so please feel free. I will be taking my plaits/braids down this Monday. I won't be washing, clarifying, deep conditioning, until next weekend. I can't wait because I just want to see how my hair is doing.

Close to on track today. Today completed
--vitamins
--water
--smoothie
--no junk food
--short walk
--inversion
--oiled scalp
--baggying

Need to keep working on my nutrition and exercise but I'm on the right track.

I have been doing better with my scalp massages and water. Now to work on my diet and exercise and I'll have it going on!!!

You definitely do have it going on. I think we all have something to improve in. I have to work on increasing my water intake. But the point is, we're consistent with doing what we can and that that too will bring results. I can't wait until the end of June to see everyone's progress.

Close to on track today. Today completed
--vitamins
--water
--smoothie
--no junk food
--short walk
--inversion
--oiled scalp
--baggying

Need to keep working on my nutrition and exercise but I'm on the right track.

You go girl, you're an inspiration for all of us. I appreciate how you keep us posted of all that you're doing. Maybe that's what I need to start doing. I am consistent but I have to admit I forgot to do my headstand yesterday but I am still on track. I try to do my exercises, nutrition, scalp massages, consistently and starting next week, I'm going to start a new hair vitamin and taking brewer's yeast, MSM and eating wheat germ. I just try to keep focus. You are doing great, keep it up because you are encouraging to us all.

I've currently got medium sized plaits in. they retain moisture and in my head i know that they'll help me retain length but I HATE the way they look. I look like A$ap Rocky but not as cute. I'll keep them for as long as i can bare it but in the mean time i'll look for an alternative. I'm thinking added hair or yarn braids.

@cocoamomma

whole goats milk
ice chips
1 banana
handful of greens (spinach or kale usually)
raspberries/ strawberries (depends on whats in the garden)
big spoon of honey :lick:
teaspoon of raw cacao (or unsweeteened cocoa powder)

its yummy and i dont have to go to the shops to get stuff. i dont drink the same one everyday. it depends on whats going on in the cupboard/garden to be honest
Thank you !

You go girl, you're an inspiration for all of us. I appreciate how you keep us posted of all that you're doing. Maybe that's what I need to start doing. I am consistent but I have to admit I forgot to do my headstand yesterday but I am still on track. I try to do my exercises, nutrition, scalp massages, consistently and starting next week, I'm going to start a new hair vitamin and taking brewer's yeast, MSM and eating wheat germ. I just try to keep focus. You are doing great, keep it up because you are encouraging to us all.

You need to be a motivational speaker. Your post actually made me think I was doing something :lol:

I've currently got medium sized plaits in. they retain moisture and in my head i know that they'll help me retain length but I HATE the way they look. I look like A$ap Rocky but not as cute. I'll keep them for as long as i can bare it but in the mean time i'll look for an alternative. I'm thinking added hair or yarn braids.

I feel you. I don't look as good with plaits/braids either. I do my own and I redo them every month. I bought the Hot Buns accessory and it works wonders. I put my hair in high pony and roll and snap. I did have to doctor the accessory tool by adding satin around it and i took off the cheap snap and sewed on a much sturdy snap. It works very well. I liked it so much I ordered another one. This is the way I wear my plaits/braids most of the time in a high bun. I have medium size plaits and I did add hair. I just keep reminding myself that this is my protective style helping me retain length, being cute comes later!

Oiled my scalp with diluted Njoy's growth oil last night and baggied for 1.5 hours. Did inversion for 4 minutes. Would rather do that than scalp massages.

Taking my vitamins now. Trying to get my water in before end of day.

Cosigning the bolded. No more massages, inversion helps prevent detangling issues and promotes retention for me.

fancypants007 is indirect heat (roller setting) okay? I'd like to join but am also about to start roller setting.

I'm sure it's OK. I just copied the instructions/suggestions that were from the 2012 challenge. I can't remember what she said about heat whether direct or indirect maybe you want to go back to page 1 and read her instructions. Maybe she speaks of limiting your use of heat, but rollersetting is a very hair friendly way to protect hair. I remember Inspired who started the challenge in 2012 said, you can use all or some of her suggestions/instructions. For the most part, we're all doing the basics, increasing our water intake, exercising, taking a multivitamin/hair vitamin or both, scalp massages, growth aide, eating healthy etc. We try to keep everyone posted and we check in every 2 months with a pic which is optional. I'm looking forward to posting a pic at the end of June because I never kept a visual hair journey before. I'm so motivated by the support I'm getting from all of you who are on this challenge.

I'm sure it's OK. I just copied the instructions/suggestions that were from the 2012 challenge. I can't remember what she said about heat whether direct or indirect maybe you want to go back to page 1 and read her instructions. Maybe she speaks of limiting your use of heat, but rollersetting is a very hair friendly way to protect hair. I remember Inspired who started the challenge in 2012 said, you can use all or some of her suggestions/instructions. For the most part, we're all doing the basics, increasing our water intake, exercising, taking a multivitamin/hair vitamin or both, scalp massages, growth aide, eating healthy etc. We try to keep everyone posted and we check in every 2 months with a pic which is optional. I'm looking forward to posting a pic at the end of June because I never kept a visual hair journey before. I'm so motivated by the support I'm getting from all of you who are on this challenge.

Excellent, I will thank your original post and post my plan this weekend

You need to be a motivational speaker. Your post actually made me think I was doing something :lol:

But you are doing something. We all need support and all of you are supporting me which I appreciate. I'm really being positive because I want all of us to achieve this goal of longer and healthy hair and when we see what others are doing and their success, this in turn motivates us to up our game so we can be successful too. So let's do this.

I intend to treat my scalp to some aloe vera as an overnight prepoo. Then wash my install and leave out. I will give my leave out a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioner on install and leave out. Roll set my leave out and sit under the dryer until dry. I will do one pass over my leave out with the flat iron and wand curl the rest.

Cosigning the bolded. No more massages, inversion helps prevent detangling issues and promotes retention for me.

Great! So happy to hear it. Inversion/headstands/slant board is also health beneficial in so many ways. I appreciate that blood going to my scalp, but I also appreciate defying gravity at least for awhile. Keep up the good work!

I intend to treat my scalp to some aloe vera as an overnight prepoo. Then wash my install and leave out. I will give my leave out a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioner on install and leave out. Roll set my leave out and sit under the dryer until dry. I will do one pass over my leave out with the flat iron and wand curl the rest.

Yes aloe vera is suppose to keep scalp clear. I posted here about an AYURVEDIC SCALP CLEANSE that has aloe vera in it. I was thinking about doing cowashes, but I think I will do cowash once a week and the other 2 times do the ayurvedic scalp wash to help keep my scalp clear.

Yes I co-wash my leave out every other week and wash my whole head the weeks in between. I've been in this install fot 4 weeks. I intend to go another 4 break for a week and re-install.

ETA- the week I break I will cleanse my scalp with bentonite clay and do another protein treatment followed by a deep condition.

Last edited:

I feel you. I don't look as good with plaits/braids either. I do my own and I redo them every month. I bought the Hot Buns accessory and it works wonders. I put my hair in high pony and roll and snap. I did have to doctor the accessory tool by adding satin around it and i took off the cheap snap and sewed on a much sturdy snap. It works very well. I liked it so much I ordered another one. This is the way I wear my plaits/braids most of the time in a high bun. I have medium size plaits and I did add hair. I just keep reminding myself that this is my protective style helping me retain length, being cute comes later!

I just undid one of them, there was no breakage as i unravelled it and my hair is lovely and moisturised, with no tangles even though i washed them twice so i think i'll try and suck it up :ohwell:
I was kidding myself with the added hair, my hair is really rather fine and doesn't do well with tension/weight
If summer wasnt on its way i'd consider a wig but ...
If i get distracted or disheartened i'll just imagine my plaits touching my back. They tickle my shoulders now but i really want them on my back :)

Hey ladies I hope you all are well. As I shared before my scalp can be troublesome so in addition to attempting 12 inches in 12 months I am trying to heal my scalp. I must admit that my scalp has improved which motivates me to stay consistent. So, I decided to purchase some neem oil. I must say that stuff smells really awful!

I made an inch in a month! I know this thread isn't even a month old but I had to share. In April I got a relaxer and I had know if I made any progress in a month....I did! :grin:
th_7a6b3a5d-1f39-4ff5-a7da-490eb630022d_zps33e24d5a.jpg

I'm too lazy to make a length check shirt so i use this shirt. In April my hair stopped right under "HBCU" now my hair is touching "FAMU" on the 3rd row. I measured with a ruler and it a little over an inch.

Current Length: BSB
Goal for 2014: WSL
Routine::

Internal specifically for this:
Biotin 1000, BioSil daily
Note: I also take Chlorella, Spirulina, msm, and vitamin c but not for hair growth, just to be healthy

Weekly or bi-weekly
- pre-poo with oil (HOT), EVCO base with other goodies
- wash, DC, clarify as needed
- air dry and bun or roller set with indirect heat
- oil scalp 2x a week with wild hair growth oil
- wear bun and m&s daily or if roller set wear down for no more than 2 days then bun
- GHE when bunning at night
- exercise no less than 3 days a week for an hour
- dust no less than every 8 weeks
- no less than 64 oz of water daily
- silk scarf at night

Note: none of this is new for me except the roller setting

Starting pic

View attachment 208683

Last edited:
Back