10 Tips for Removing Braids/Weaves

G

Came across this info, thought it might be helpful for the braided ladies.

1. Braided, weaved, or locked hair can become dry and matted together, so you must use a product that softens, oils and moisturizes your hair so that after these styles are removed unhealthy and broken hair is not left behind.

2. Do not shampoo or relax until your hair is completely combed out and detangled. Because if you try to "wash away" clumps/knots of matted or tangled hair, the water will absorb every last drop of oil in your hair and all your hair will tangle in to a big matted mess. And if you try to "perm/relax" the knots and tangles out of your hair-it will not work either! Relaxers are not designed to penetrate through clumps of matted and tangled hair.

3. Before you begin to remove braids soak the roots of your hair and the braids with a removal cream. Do the same for sew-in weaves, but first cut the extensions off, then proceed to soak the cornrows with a removal cream. This will prevent tearing and breaking of the hair when you are combing through it.

4. Believe it or not, locked hair can be removed without having to be cut off. It may take more than one day but a removal cream can salvage natural hair. You will have some shedding, but for the most part you can keep your hair.

5. When removing Dreadlocks that are 1-4 years old, cut only the tip of the lock. If locks are older than four years, you need to cut half of the locked hair before it unravels.

6. Contrary to popular belief, you can relax your hair the same day you remove braids, weaves, bonding glue, or dreadlocks. A product such as TAKE DOWN removal cream allows you the ease of transitioning from style to style.

7. Conditioners or oil sheen should not be used to remove bonding glue from the hair. It was not created for that purpose (oil is an aerosol, an alcohol based product). Secondly, it does not effectively remove the excess bonding glue from the scalp. Over time excess bonding glue that builds up on the scalp can damage the scalp and will cause balding.

8. And if you do use oil sheen to remove the bonding glue from your hair, please do not relax your hair immediately after the removal process. You are causing serious damage to your scalp.

9. Most people don't have the time or patience to remove braids, locks, weaves or hair extensions the right way. The average consumer thinks it's too costly to visit a salon to undo or "take down" a style. So, she pulls, she tugs, and ultimately damages her hair when it's time to remove braids, weaves, hair extensions, or even dreadlocks. Please do not rush when removing these styles; it will only hurt your hair.

10. Love your hair. Be patient with whatever type of hair you have been blessed with, and take the time to learn about what your natural hair needs. There are so many good products in the marketplace but every product is not for every head.

G

Thanks, Kit Kat. I've been wearing braids 3 wks now due to an accident.

Have you ever heard of the "Take Down Cream" they're talking about.

Xtal

Thank you Mindymouse. I think this is good advice. I learned a lot from this
post. I didn't know you could take down dreadlocks that old!

I agree with almost everything they say (except relaxing on the same day you take down braids!)

azul11

I have seen the ad for take down in the hair books but i have never actually seen this product in the stores. maybe i wasnt looking hard enough for it. does it have anything special about it ingredient wise? God bless you all.

Zoe

Ive heard of the product but I've never used it.. When I take my braids out I gain all the patience in the world..cause Im not trying to lose ALL of my hair.. It may take a couple of days to take all of them out..but I never have regrets on the outcome

I dont agree with perming your hair the same day your taking braids out.. all that scratching u do after u take braids out.. your pores are still open after u wash it..**SMH** I wouldn't trust that one at all..

Nonie

Mindy, that's a great post. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard it and repeated it too, that people can undo dreadlocks but have never been able to recall who told me that or to point out someone who has done it. So it's quite refreshing to hear those words repeated here.
At least I now know it wasn't a figment of my imagination.

BLESSED1

Great advice and great timing, I'll be spending this weekend taking out my extensions....I'll look for the removal cream when I go to the BSS this weekend. I think I'll wait until the next day to relax my hair though, my hair is usually too fatigued to undergo any chemical processing right after it's come out of braids or weaves styles.

Sweetyb

Thanks for the post, and thanks joyous for the website.

WARNING: you may not want to order through the website; I did not see the security lock that shows at the botom of the browser which means that their online ordering does not have any security feature which could be dangerous when you are using your credit card. You may want to call them instead (770-424-8189) to order the Take Down sample ($2.50 S/H).

msvaye

Thanks for the advice. I personally feel that if you want to keep your hair in good shape after braids you should do it yourself. Heard many horror stories about braiders taking down hair.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
[ QUOTE ]
msvaye said:
Thanks for the advice. I personally feel that if you want to keep your hair in good shape after braids you should do it yourself. Heard many horror stories about braiders taking down hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO