10 Rudest Things People Do In Church

mensa

Singing extremely loud... but all off key. :perplexed

Playing the drums and cymbals super, duper loud.:nono:

Writing and passing notes.:sad:

Last edited:

blazingthru

As I think about some of your experiences I realize that we have a very slack approach to the house of God, and the things of God.

Though the church is just a building it is sanctified and set aside for worship. Which means we should never enter in any kind of way and that means in our minds and appearance. We should come prepared to meet and receive from God.

Totally agree, but we have to let the tares grow up with the wheat it will eventually all be sorted out. I think of that often and shake my head. Thought I must confess i pop a candy in my mouth from time to time. But its quite and private.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
As I think about some of your experiences I realize that we have a very slack approach to the house of God, and the things of God.

Though the church is just a building it is sanctified and set aside for worship. Which means we should never enter in any kind of way and that means in our minds and appearance. We should come prepared to meet and receive from God.

I agree, "Healthy Hair' :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
Totally agree, but we have to let the tares grow up with the wheat it will eventually all be sorted out. I think of that often and shake my head. Thought I must confess i pop a candy in my mouth from time to time. But its quite and private.

I have a mint as well, but as you said, I keep it quiet and private. :yep:

CoilyFields

The musicians get up and go sit in the congregation to hear the sermon. Then go back after or right before the end of the sermon. At least how they do it at the churches I have been a member of.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Unfortunately at a church i used to attend they left the sanctuary all together. The Pastor even used to have to have the ushers go get them back for offering music :perplexed:perplexed

PinkPebbles

Seriously?? Please tell me you have never actually seen someone doing this... I have no words for something like this.

Sadly, yes :ohwell:....on two different occasions and at two different churches. The women had a soft light blanket over their baby. One woman's blanket kept sliding down. I and the others were looking at each other in disbelief :blush:... extremely inappropriate.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Yes and ITA..

Unfortunately everyone wasn't raised the same..some people don't respect their own homes so they won't respect anyone else's. We all can attest at some point when we visit each other's homes. There are some people who WILL NOT tolerate anyone disrespecting their homes and the place is always clean and smell nice. Someone who respect their own home will have no problem adjusting to the expectations of others concerning their domiciles. To me, that's the approach of a Believer as well...

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

CoilyFields said:
Unfortunately at a church i used to attend they left the sanctuary all together. The Pastor even used to have to have the ushers go get them back for offering music :perplexed:perplexed

That right there is ridiculous. That is not how it should be done.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Shimmie

Staff member
Not brushing their teeth or use mouthwash before coming to Church, then up in everyone's face.

I am serious... :look:

mrselle

Inappropriate attire for church. I see this with a lot of preteen and teen girls. Dresses and skirts that are too short and they become even shorter when paired with extremely high heels. I have issues with preteens wearing heels that are too high, but that's for another thread.

Belle Du Jour

Inappropriate attire for church. I see this with a lot of preteen and teen girls. Dresses and skirts that are too short and they become even shorter when paired with extremely high heels. I have issues with preteens wearing heels that are too high, but that's for another thread.

I agree. Short shorts, mini skirts, stripper heels, etc have no place in the house of God. It's distracting to me as a woman so can you imagine the effect it has on a man or the celibate priest?!?! I also don't like when men wear sports jerseys, t-shirts, etc. They would never go to work like that so why is it appropriate for church? I think most people don't really understand what is actually taking place during the service. If they realized that we are mysteriously participating in heavenly worship, they would act accordingly.

When I visited some of the old European churches, I saw the signs posted on proper attire and they will turn you away if your shoulders are bare, your skirt length is not appropriate, etc. I think we need to bring the signs here :look:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member

I agree. Short shorts, mini skirts, stripper heels, etc have no place in the house of God. It's distracting to me as a woman so can you imagine the effect it has on a man or the celibate priest?!?! I also don't like when men wear sports jerseys, t-shirts, etc. They would never go to work like that so why is it appropriate for church? I think most people don't really understand what is actually taking place during the service. If they realized that we are mysteriously participating in heavenly worship, they would act accordingly.

When I visited some of the old European churches, I saw the signs posted on proper attire and they will turn you away if your shoulders are bare, your skirt length is not appropriate, etc. I think we need to bring the signs here :look:

I agree mrselle and Belle Du Jour :yep:

I believe that the way one dresses for Church is how they feel about worship. I'm not saying that one has to be in full suit tie, jacket or a woman is suit, hat or fancy dress. Not all can afford that. But I do expect decency, being clean, neatly groomed.

If someone is poor, homeless, or in a bad financial situation, I have compassion for their situation, no judgment. But for those who have better, there is no excuse to be careless in attire. :nono:

naturalgyrl5199

I think it's rude and inappropriate for women to breast-feed their babies in the sanctuary during service.

I'm a lactation consultant. I think its just fine to nurse in public. But for some reason in church, I think they should definitely cover up well or move to the back. With the cover ups we can't tell if the baby is napping or nursing....We have a HUGE lobby area at our church, and the nursing moms tend to go there so the baby can giggle, coo, stretch. There are comfy chairs and large screen TV's there too. Our nursing moms ever so often will wander to the very back of the church....but our church seats over 1000 so they're not even noticed.

In a really small church I'd probably step outside.

Afro Puff

I go to a seemingly conservative but progressive church and the majority of us members know what's up. I mean the men wear full-on suits every Sunday. And most of us follow social rules.

Rudeness is just not acceptable. But I've noticed the visitors tend to be guilty of the following:

8. Letting babies cry incessantly in the service. (THIS!!! happens most Sundays...different babies and they do not leave the service no matter how many times you look their way)

7. Walking out of a service early (not usually during a prayer though)

10. Public display of affection (Only remember 3 blatant & inappropriate situations. In all situations the wife/girlfriend eventually moved the man's hand, reacted by being numb & still or was shocked).

11. Staring at an attractive woman in a very 'fatal attraction' weird type of way during service/communion. This happened to me and I noticed it happening to another young girl...2 different men in their 20s

momi

Not brushing their teeth or use mouthwash before coming to Church, then up in everyone's face.

I am serious... :look:

Shimmie!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Not the pre-church breath. lol

Unless someone has a 10pm service 8-10 am is too early for that. LOL

momi

I go to a seemingly conservative but progressive church and the majority of us members know what's up. I mean the men wear full-on suits every Sunday. And most of us follow social rules.

Rudeness is just not acceptable. But I've noticed the visitors tend to be guilty of the following:

8. Letting babies cry incessantly in the service. (THIS!!! happens most Sundays...different babies and they do not leave the service no matter how many times you look their way)

7. Walking out of a service early (not usually during a prayer though)

10. Public display of affection (Only remember 3 blatant & inappropriate situations. In all situations the wife/girlfriend eventually moved the man's hand, reacted by being numb & still or was shocked).

11. Staring at an attractive woman in a very 'fatal attraction' weird type of way during service/communion. This happened to me and I noticed it happening to another young girl...2 different men in their 20s

Oh My... thats eerie.

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Not the pre-church breath. lol

Unless someone has a 10pm service 8-10 am is too early for that. LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol:momi, it gives me headaches :spinning:

And don't sit next me and breath the words... "Sis 'taaaahhhhhhhhhh or
"Amend 'Dah' ! or HA! ! ! or YESSSSSAH !

:thud:

delitefulmane

I don't like it when someone is sitting next to me asking me questions all through the service. For instance:
"What he say?"

"What scripture did he say?'

"What chapter did he say? What verse?"

Aww Shimmie!! This is me sometimes in church 'cause the preacher seems to rattle of the scriptures and verses like everyone is a bible scholar. Sometimes for the smaller books, I really have to think about where it is located!:lachen::lachen:!! I try to test my skills and not look in the table of contents so sometimes I miss the scripture. And if you were my neighbor, you probably would allow me to be lost. :sad: :lachen:

I agree. Short shorts, mini skirts, stripper heels, etc have no place in the house of God. It's distracting to me as a woman so can you imagine the effect it has on a man or the celibate priest?!?!

Belledujour,^^^This :yep::yep:!! I saw this young girl on Sunday glide in late to church. It was distracting because 1) she was already late and 2) she had on one of the chiffon-esque high-low skirts that are light and airy and blow behind you like a train. Not to mention the front was rather short. She was cute BUT this would have been a better outfit for a date night.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:momi, it gives me headaches :spinning:

And don't sit next me and breath the words... "Sis 'taaaahhhhhhhhhh or
"Amend 'Dah' ! or HA! ! ! or YESSSSSAH !

:thud:

Shimmie, really?? :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'll add:
1) Falling asleep in church and THEN snoring!! :nono::nono:
2) People who enter church at 12:01pm and leave at 12:45pm. I wonder did they come for the message or to say that they "went" to church.
3) The men that try to approach you after church to "discuss" the sermon. Uh, NO THANKS!!

Last edited:

momi

Aww Shimmie!! This is me sometimes in church 'cause the preacher seems to rattle of the scriptures and verses like everyone is a bible scholar. Sometimes for the smaller books, I really have to think about where it is located!:lachen::lachen:!! I try to test my skills and not look in the table of contents so sometimes I miss the scripture. And if you were my neighbor, you probably would allow me to be lost. :sad: :lachen:

Belledujour,^^^This :yep::yep:!! I saw this young girl on Sunday glide in late to church. It was distracting because 1) she was already late and 2) she had on one of the chiffon-esque high-low skirts that are light and airy and blow behind you like a train. Not to mention the front was rather short. She was cute BUT this would have been a better outfit for a date night.

I'll add:
2) People who enter church at 12:01pm and leave at 12:45pm. I wonder did they come for the message or to say that they "went" to church.
3) The men that try to approach you after church to "discuss" the sermon. Uh, NO THANKS!!

#2 - I notice the same thing... and it's chronic. lol

Shimmie

Staff member

I'll add:

DeLiGhTfulmane...

Awww :bighug:

For you, I'd turn the pages in your Bible to what the Minister said. :yep: I'd never leave you hanging.

I was speaking of the constant 'distractors' in service, the constant 'talkers' who if they'd just 'listen', they'd know what was being said from the Minister. I've even had people tap me on my shoulder or arm in the seat (row) behind me causing me to 'miss' what being said. :fistshake: :lol:

Renewed1

What I'm going to say may be unpopular. I think it's rude when people shout, by running around the church, with their eyes close.