10 Rudest Things People Do In Church

Iwanthealthyhair67

The 10 rudest things people do in church!

Founder July 8, 2013 2

It doesn’t bother me anymore to hear a phone ringing during a church service. It’s part of life in the 21st century. But I’ll admit I was shocked last month when I heard a ringtone while I was preaching–and a woman seated in the third row pulled her phone out of her purse and began a lengthy conversation as if she were in the waiting room of a beauty parlor.
That incident prompted me to post a question on Facebook the next day. I asked my friends to share their own stories of rudeness in church. That triggered an avalanche of pent-up frustration about crinkly peppermint wrappers, loud music, smelly feet (yes, someone took off their shoes during the service), unruly children, coffee-sipping saints and parishioners who try to finish their pastors’ sentences during sermons.

When I tallied the responses, I came up with this list of the rudest things people do in church:

1. Talking during a service.

2. Texting or surfing the web during a service. (One person mentioned seeing people playing video games on their phones.)

3. Sleeping–or snoring!–during a sermon.

4. Clipping fingernails during church. (I was amazed at how many people listed this offense. One person said his church’s sound technician clipped his nails routinely during the sermon, and it was amplified over the loud speaker.)

5. Answering a ringing phone in church.

6. Constantly getting up and leaving the auditorium, presumably to use the restroom.

7. Walking out of a service early, especially during a prayer.

8. Letting babies cry incessantly in the service.

9. Chewing or smacking gum. (One friend from Puerto Rico said he is particularly annoyed when people “chew gum like a goat.”)

10. Public display of affection. (One person complained about a man and wife who enjoy giving each other back rubs during worship.)

sweetvi

Founder July 8, 2013 2

It doesn’t bother me anymore to hear a phone ringing during a church service. It’s part of life in the 21st century. But I’ll admit I was shocked last month when I heard a ringtone while I was preaching–and a woman seated in the third row pulled her phone out of her purse and began a lengthy conversation as if she were in the waiting room of a beauty parlor.
That incident prompted me to post a question on Facebook the next day. I asked my friends to share their own stories of rudeness in church. That triggered an avalanche of pent-up frustration about crinkly peppermint wrappers, loud music, smelly feet (yes, someone took off their shoes during the service), unruly children, coffee-sipping saints and parishioners who try to finish their pastors’ sentences during sermons.

When I tallied the responses, I came up with this list of the rudest things people do in church:

2. Texting or surfing the web during a service. (One person mentioned seeing people playing video games on their phones.)

4. Clipping fingernails during church. (I was amazed at how many people listed this offense. One person said his church’s sound technician clipped his nails routinely during the sermon, and it was amplified over the loud speaker.)

6. Constantly getting up and leaving the auditorium, presumably to use the restroom.

9. Chewing or smacking gum. (One friend from Puerto Rico said he is particularly annoyed when people “chew gum like a goat.”)

10. Public display of affection. (One person complained about a man and wife who enjoy giving each other back rubs during worship.)

#2, #7, and #9 are very annoying to me ......very. My thing is if you know you have to leave early, then who choose to sit in the first pew? chewing gum is something I see many Adults do and they should know better!

I have no problem with #10? whats wrong with it? I like to see couples coming to church together. I think it is very important for single and young children to see a healthy interaction between couples?

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

I love children, but I hate it when parents don't get up and at least move towards the back when their child starts crying so they can walk out if they need to. :nono:

As far as #2, I have a missal app on my phone so during the week, I use my phone during service to follow along. I suppose if someone didn't know, they would assume I was surfing the internet. :look:

It also irks me when people bolt out the door before the recessional hymn is even done, like they can't wait to leave LOL.

mensa

Not turning the cell phone volume down.

Men, especially married ones, staring at you and always wanting a hug or kiss.:nono:

Throwing candy or gum wrappers on the floor.

Laughing and talking during Communion.

Bumping/grinding moves during the praise and worship. Will you save those sexy moves for the club please mam, please sir? :blush:

blazingthru

funny, there is an elderly couple at service and I hate it when she opens candy. She takes 50 years to open one piece candy and she makes so much noise. Don't let the husband want one too. They are not friendly people they always look disapproving.

How about the kids kicking the pew and the mother acts like she doesn't have a clue what her child is doing.

Kids running up an down the aisle during service.

We have one member that has to stand up and clap every time the Pastor said something he agree with he has to stand and say some weird saying. Clap for a while too, its not just AMEN its standing up front and clapping hard.

Well I did visit one church where one man ran up and down the aisle he would clap first and then run up and down aisle. Stop and dance. during the message, not the singing but the message. One visit was enough.

blazingthru

Not turning the cell phone volume down.

Men, especially married ones, staring at you and always wanting a hug or kiss.:nono:

I want to get rid of the shaking hands and hugging and definitely this, there is a man at service who likes to hug you from behind. I hate it! only my husband does that and we don't do that but you know what I mean. truly I wish we can go back to the 1600s where we just bow when we meet and leave it at that no touching.

Divine.

#10 bothers me as well. It's like didn't y'all wake up together :look: save that until after the service! I don't mind an arm around the neck but the extra touching is just extra. I'm not a fan of PDA anywhere :lol:

sweetvi

I want to get rid of the shaking hands and hugging and definitely this, there is a man at service who likes to hug you from behind. I hate it! only my husband does that and we don't do that but you know what I mean. truly I wish we can go back to the 1600s where we just bow when we meet and leave it at that no touching.

That is very inappropriate?!!! even in the workplace? Has anyone said anything to him about it? One look from me and he won't be hugging me ever again? That is very degrading.. I would feel dirty..

blazingthru

That is very inappropriate?!!! even in the workplace? Has anyone said anything to him about it? One look from me and he won't be hugging me ever again? That is very degrading.. I would feel dirty..

I haven't said anything to him about it. I try to go and greet him before start of service to avoid this thing but it matters not he always catches me unaware and his wife is there too. Its disgusting and I hate that he does it. I will have to speak to the head deacon about it. But the head deacons kisses woman too. Ugh!

sweetvi

Well in my culture we kiss each other on the cheek but I refrain from certain people who turn their face on purpose ( end up kissing on the lips, eww)

LOL
BY the way I finish the entire lessons on amazingfacts website loved it and thank you

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
You all know I have a volume to list... :lol:

I'll be back sometime tomorrow. And I'm asking you ahead of time...

Please don't 'judge' me for being so 'picky'. :look: :rofl:

Iwanthealthyhair67

Rebuke him in name of Jesus and tell him to sit his ole lascivious behind down.

mz.rae

I was at church one time where a lot of people were talking through the service. They talked during announcements, P&W, and the sermon. Every time I visited the pastor had to get up on the mic and tell people to stop talking because others were trying to hear. Also at this same church during the sermon people would just get out of their pews and walk over to someone and hold a conversation. Not to mention the kids who kept walking back and forth in front of you while you are sitting in the pew and the parents not doing anything about it. Needless to say I never went back to that church.

Lilmama1011

Founder July 8, 2013 2
http://www.joy105.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Church-Aisle.jpg

Really, clipping toe nails? Wow, that something that should strictly be in the house. And to think of it being amplified over the mic, I'm not going to lie i would laugh because I would be in disbelief. Leaving to go to the bathroom is understandable, if natures calls then what are you suppose to do (some might have weak bladders idk) and the public display of affection is cool, better than seeing someone eyeing people like they want to beat them up lol

Belle Du Jour

Yeah, I would have to shut that down. :nono:

I'm a bit of a germophobe so I dread the sign of peace, especially if someone has just sneezed into his/her hand. Then I start to visualize the spread of germs to the other people around me. Yuck. Of course communion is right after that. So I started carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me to use discreetly before communion. In general, I just have the priest place the host on my tongue directly and avoid receiving it in my hand so I don't have to worry about that. :look:

CoilyFields

LOL at all of these.

-Letting the baby cry is sooooooooooooo annoying

-Pet peeve: When the musicians get up and leave the sanctuary after they play then return when the sermon is over. I mean come on...you may be hired but do you have to make it that obvious that you're not interested?

-Sitting your kids in the middle of the pew then letting them go back and forth every 5 minutes.

-Folks pulling out real food for too old kids! Like, I am all for the littel hard teething cookies for babies etc. but dont pull out the chips for your 5 year old!

-If a man is sitting on the end and I need to get in/out of that pew Ima need him to stand up and move to the aisle rather than making me crawl over him.

-AND THIS ONE!!!! I sat in front of a woman who liked to speak the last part of the pastors sentences in unison with him. Like...ALL OF THEM. She would try to talk WITH HIM even when she had no clue what he was going to say, not just when he quoted scriptures! It just came out as mumbo jumbo and then she'd catch the last word and say it really fast like she knew all along. It was the most annoying thing I've experienced in a long time.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
People allowing their kids to read non-Bible based books and play games in Church. I get that kids get antsy, but at least give them Bible stories and not Harry Potter or Power Rangers.

HanaKuroi

CoilyFields said:
LOL at all of these.

-Pet peeve: When the musicians get up and leave the sanctuary after they play then return when the sermon is over. I mean come on...you may be hired but do you have to make it that obvious that you're not interested?

-Sitting your kids in the middle of the pew then letting them go back and forth every 5 minutes.

-Folks pulling out real food for too old kids! Like, I am all for the littel hard teething cookies for babies etc. but dont pull out the chips for your 5 year old!

-If a man is sitting on the end and I need to get in/out of that pew Ima need him to stand up and move to the aisle rather than making me crawl over him.

-AND THIS ONE!!!! I sat in front of a woman who liked to speak the last part of the pastors sentences in unison with him. Like...ALL OF THEM. She would try to talk WITH HIM even when she had no clue what he was going to say, not just when he quoted scriptures! It just came out as mumbo jumbo and then she'd catch the last word and say it really fast like she knew all along. It was the most annoying thing I've experienced in a long time.

The musicians get up and go sit in the congregation to hear the sermon. Then go back after or right before the end of the sermon. At least how they do it at the churches I have been a member of.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Blackpearl1993

LOL at all of these.

Okay...this one right here I have to agree with, but I am honestly so fed up with men in public (I am not talking about ALL men) who have no respect for women.

Here's my list:

*folks who get comfy in inappropriate ways...taking shoes off, computer games, texting

*I believe God takes us as we are, but if you dress up to go to work or the club you can certainly put some effort into what you wear to church. It would be especially prudent to leave the large hoop earrings with the word "sexy" at home when attending church (yes, I actually saw this at a funeral)!

*Changing a diaper in church (I said in church not the bathroom)

*Men who are too familiar with female members. Kissing and hugging, constant touching. This is so disrespectful!

*Women huddled up and it is obvious they are gossiping. I have also seen women randomly picking up other people's babies! What in the world????

*people combing their hair, putting on lotion

*Eating a meal, drinking coffee in the sanctuary

*Men wearing hats inside (of course this goes for any indoor space, but especially the house of the Lord)

I generally do not mind and find it sweet when spouses attend together, hold hands, or a man places his arm around his wife. I have even seen a man kiss his wife on the forehead when we were all directed to greet our neighbors before the sermon (it was not lewd in any way). However, I do draw the line at kissing on the lips or touching/rubbing your spouse's bottom (I saw this at a church I visited).

Cruzankink

I know that you are suppose to give what you can to the church and every little bit counts. But, I find it tacky as heck when members rummage through the offering plate to get change for a $20. Then they only give the Lord $2.

Last edited:

foxee

People allowing their kids to read non-Bible based books and play games in Church. I get that kids get antsy, but at least give them Bible stories and not Harry Potter or Power Rangers.

This really bugs me. I'm starting to see this in my church a lot. We have an amazing youth ministry, so there's really no excuse. Either the kids should sit there quietly or go to children's church.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
wow at this list
:lol: at the bolded

I plead the Fifth on the last one .. lol

Here's one for the list: Not speaking when someone addresses/acknowledges you. :ohwell:

[/COLOR]

sweetvi

I know that you are suppose to give what you can to the church and every little bit counts. But, I find it tacky as heck when members rummage through the offering plate to get change for a $20. Then they only give the Lord $2.

Wow??? People do that? I would be so embarrassed....

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
:lol::lol: at the old couple and the candy wrapers....

There was a little girl, about 6 or 7, who running up and down the aisle, dancing throughout the praise service at a church I visited. It caught me off guard, but apparently she does it all the time. No one was fazed. She was s joyful praiser and I actually enjoyed it. Now, if they're doing that stuff during the sermon, that's another story.
Eccl 3. lol

Every church has their "special folks" it seems..

Kids running up an down the aisle during service.

We have one member that has to stand up and clap every time the Pastor said something he agree with he has to stand and say some weird saying. Clap for a while too, its not just AMEN its standing up front and clapping hard.

Well I did visit one church where one man ran up and down the aisle he would clap first and then run up and down aisle. Stop and dance. during the message, not the singing but the message. One visit was enough.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
All of what has been shared here are good. :yep: :up:

Okay, please don't stone me :blush3:

:Rose: I don't like it when someone taps me on my shoulder to ask me something during service.

:Rose: I don't like it when someone is sitting next to me asking me questions all through the service. For instance:

"What he say?"

"What scripture did he say?'

"What chapter did he say? What verse?"

"Can I use your pen?" (Especially if I'm using it at the time they ask me)

"Do you have a tissue?"

"What time do you have?"

"Is it cold in here to you?"

"What he say" Uh? What did you say? Where did you say?"

"How long does the service last?"

:whyme:

:lol::lol::lol:

Iwanthealthyhair67

Some of These comments have me in stitches laughing. But seriously I must go to an unusual church my pastor ain't having none of those things in my church, you're free to worship but not to misbehave.

Last edited:

Ann0804

This past Sunday, a lady was playing candy crush on her phone. I had to look twice because I couldn't believe it. She had her two young sons of maybe age 2 sitting with her and they were quietly playing handheld games as well- game boys I believe. I guess it was a family affair.

Iwanthealthyhair67

As I think about some of your experiences I realize that we have a very slack approach to the house of God, and the things of God.

Though the church is just a building it is sanctified and set aside for worship. Which means we should never enter in any kind of way and that means in our minds and appearance. We should come prepared to meet and receive from God.