09/30/2009 on Oprah - Girl Talk About "Good" Hair with Chris Rock

theprototype

2nvtb0l.jpg

Perms, extensions, highlights…secrets exposed! Then, why Beyonce's sister Solange chopped it all off. Plus, Oprah's own hair history unraveled! Emmy-winning comedian Chris Rock talks to Oprah about his new documentary, Good Hair. Plus, Beyoncé's little sister, singer Solange Knowles.

Should be interesting.

http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20090916-chris-rock-hair

That sounds awesome! I shall be watching Oprah as per usual. I'm so glad she's doing a show on this, I know she'll do it justice rather then just lazily slap together a bunch of self-hating women and allow them to spew their ignorance on national tv, I know she'll give it dignified analysis and help other races gain insight into a huge part of Black culture.

I did a Blog Posting on this called Chris Rock Tackles the notion of "Good Hair" in new DocuComedy (anyone can comment)

Wednesday?? Done!

I simply cannot wait to see this movie. And, yes, MasterPiece I agree on the not slapping together a bunch of self-hating women like that "other" show. Ugh!

I will be parked in front of the TV on Wednesday promptly at 4pm. This should be good.

I hope its not a bunch of self-hating garbage about black hair. I'm the biggest Ms. O fan but she has made some dumb comments about our hair on her show, which urks me because her audience is largely non-black. I hope they dive into this and really show the beauty of our hair.

Baby, you can count me in. I really wish Oprah would put up her episodes like nbc does. I never get to see her show.

That sounds awesome! I shall be watching Oprah as per usual. I'm so glad she's doing a show on this, I know she'll do it justice rather then just lazily slap together a bunch of self-hating women and allow them to spew their ignorance on national tv, I know she'll give it dignified analysis and help other races gain insight into a huge part of Black culture.

I did a Blog Posting on this called Chris Rock Tackles the notion of "Good Hair" in new DocuComedy (anyone can comment)

I wouldn't pin so much responsibility on Oprah. There's SO much to talk about when it comes to the complexities of black hair that an hour isn't enough to even scratch the surface. I don't watch her like I used to, but I don't recall this ever being the subject matter of an entire show - we won't know how she handles it until we see it. And since we're all so enthralled and invested in this topic (I mean, look at the forum description), we'll be the first to know whether or not she does an adequate job.

That being said, I will definitely be watching, though. Whatever she does, it will be better than Tyra, though, that's a given.

DMV ladies can see a preview of Good Hair on 9/28 or 10/5 by going to Barry Fletcher's website and registering for a showing in Silver Spring.

This should be interesting. I've followed Oprah and her hair since she started the OW show. O has beautiful hair and she has a lot of knowledge about haircare.

I hope its not a bunch of self-hating garbage about black hair. I'm the biggest Ms. O fan but she has made some dumb comments about our hair on her show, which urks me because her audience is largely non-black. I hope they dive into this and really show the beauty of our hair.

She did a really informative show one time on where weave comes from, and her show revealed that majority of extension purchasers worldwide are Caucasian. You're right though, sometimes I have those "did Oprah really just say that?" moments.

I feel you robotxcore:yep: totally agree loved!!

I'm excited!:yahoo: she always makes her show like a fun girl talk party, but makes it substantive as well..... its gonna be awesome:yep:

Last edited:
Jermajesty! your siggy is too much.

I saw the movie and I'm interested in seeing what Oprah says on her show. I'm open to seeing the movie again though there isn't much discussion on natural hair.

the show will be jokes! in the film Chris Rock says Oprah wears a weave and on the episode Oprah calls him out on that since she's all natural.

I was at the Oprah show a few days after they taped the Good Hair episode and Oprah was talking about the movie/show and mentioned something about how most white women colour their hair. So hopefully that means she's exploring the whole "black folk aren't the only ones that alter their hair" discussion.

I'm guessing Solange is on their to talk about the flack she got for shaving her head...

I'll have to remember to catch this. I will particularly interested in O's hair history because I know everyone says she's natural, but I am 99.9 percent sure that she is relaxed and that I read that in Andre's Book.

I don't have the book anymore because it was a library book, but I could've sworn he said in there that he relaxed Oprah's hair.

If you're talking about his book "Andre Walker Talks Hair!" that came out in 1998, she was relaxed at that time and had been for years, it seems she went natural most recently in the last 4 years or so.....like me! lol

She was just copyin my style yall:cool2::giggle:

If you're talking about his book "Andre Walker Talks Hair!" that came out in 1998, she was relaxed at that time and had been for years, it seems she went natural most recently in the last 4 years or so.....like me! lol

She was just copyin my style yall:cool2::giggle:

Ok but did anyone read this anywhere? Did she say this?

Or are people assuming? I am so confused!

I'll have to remember to catch this. I will particularly interested in O's hair history because I know everyone says she's natural, but I am 99.9 percent sure that she is relaxed and that I read that in Andre's Book.

I don't have the book anymore because it was a library book, but I could've sworn he said in there that he relaxed Oprah's hair.

i think he did say that, but that book came out about 10 years ago. she definitely could've transitioned & be at her current length now. she says she gets her hair pressed now, but i hope she breaks it down on the show:)

I'm wondering what the purpose of this may be....is it to shows Blacks that natual hair is an alternative (not likely given her demo) OR is it to explain to "other races" the questions they may have? Either way, I think this is regressive. Why should anyone have to explain our hair and the issues surrounding it?

I've seen the stuff about the weave before and I know it's her real hair, but her hair is really thick. When relaxed, it could still look like that when blown out, mine was pretty big back in my relaxed days.

Also, Andre says "natural" hair a lot when referring to someone's "real" hair, without a weave. I wanted to know if Oprah has actually said, "I do not relax my hair"

I've seen the stuff about the weave before and I know it's her real hair, but her hair is really thick. When relaxed, it could still look like that when blown out, mine was pretty big back in my relaxed days.

Also, Andre says "natural" hair a lot when referring to someone's "real" hair, without a weave. I wanted to know if Oprah has actually said, "I do not relax my hair"

I'm pretty confident that she said that she does not relax her hair. I'm about 97% sure! She also showed her hair prior to it being straightened and it looked unrelaxed.

^^^I could stare @ that picture all day:drool: it never gets old I just go :thud: whenever I see it. Every time I blow my hair out it looks really similar and I point to the mirror & I'm like I'm gettin close! :lachen:

I've seen that pic and know the story but I still maintain that she could be relaxed. As I said, my hair would look very much like that but shorter when I was relaxed and I would blow it out. With extremly thick hair, it is possible. Let us not forget the whole " tyra'sgoing natural!" thing a few weeks ago. When I hear her say one way or the other, I'll know for sure.

I've seen that pic and know the story but I still maintain that she could be relaxed. As I said, my hair would look very much like that but shorter when I was relaxed and I would blow it out. With extremly thick hair, it is possible. Let us not forget the whole " tyra'sgoing natural!" thing a few weeks ago. When I hear her say one way or the other, I'll know for sure.

My relaxed hair looks like Oprah's when I do not straighten it (albeit much shorter as well).

Look at how straight her edges are. She looks, in my opinion, to be texlaxed.

Back