ANDRE WALKER TALKS AFRICAN-AMERICAN HAIR - OCT 2009

MonaLisa

Q&A with Andre Walker

By Joan Wagner

20090916-tows-andre-walker-290x218.jpg

For more than two decades, Oprah's trusted only one man with her hair—stylist extraordinaire Andre Walker. "I've had the same hairdresser for 24 years," she says. "That's why I still have my hair."

Andre—who's also an interior designer—gives us a quick consultation on the dos and don'ts of keeping African-American hair healthy. (Here's a hint: condition, condition, condition!)

Joan Wagner: How did you get interested in styling hair?

Andre Walker: As a teenager, I started styling my mother's hair pieces just for fun. She loved the way they turned out, so she started asking me to style them rather than taking them to the beauty parlor (that's what a salon was called then). I would get such a kick out of seeing her wear them out.

JW: Oprah credits you with keeping her hair healthy for the past 24 years. What can women do to keep their hair healthy?

AW: Healthy hair is always clean and conditioned. Make sure products such as sprays, gels, waxes, etc. are cleaned from your hair once a week—otherwise you can create buildup, which is very damaging.

Apply heat such as flat irons, curling irons and blow-drying at a minimum, maybe once or twice a week, as this is very drying. Try pin curling or roller setting in between.

Shampoo one to two times a week. Excessive shampooing can strip the natural oils from your hair, which is very important if you chemically treat your hair with color or relaxers. Natural oils add nutrients and moisture.

JW: What's the most common mistake women make when it comes to their hair—and how can they fix it?

AW: The most common mistakes I've seen are overcoloring or relaxing. These two processes are very damaging and should be done only when needed. I recommend every six to eight weeks. When you use these processes, you must condition, condition, condition.

JW: In Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair, we meet a number of women who say they can't get enough relaxer. How often do you recommend women get their hair relaxed? Are certain relaxers better than others?

AW: There are so many different types of relaxers on the market...some are better on different hair types than others. No-lye relaxers are better on color-treated hair than lye relaxers. Brazilian relaxers are great for frizzy, curly hair that needs just a bit of control and are not very damaging.

JW: What should women look for in a weave, and what are the best ways to maintain one?

AW: Weaves can serve many purposes: (1) to add hair where there are fine thin areas, (2) to add hair where breakage or alopecia has occurred, (3) to give yourself that texture of hair you always wanted or just to add length.Weaves should be tightened or replaced every two to three months.

JW: Times are tough. Do you have any tips on how to get a great look without spending a fortune?

AW: Stretch your salon visits an extra week. If you normally have your hair cut every four weeks, this can save you from paying for 16 cuts a year to 14.

JW: Solange Knowles made headlines when she decided to go natural. What's your advice for women who want to embrace their own hair?

AW: If you want to embrace you natural texture, you should accept that your styling choices are limited to what you texture can do, and that is different for everyone.

JW: What are the hair products or tools every woman should have in their bathroom?

AW: You should have the very best shampoo and conditioner you can afford. One or two styling products such as holding spray, shine, wax or pomade. A natural bristle brush to use at least once a day. Brushing is very good way to distribute natural oils and also to brush away day-old sprays and everyday dirt. And, of course, a dryer and maybe a curling iron.

JW: What are your favorite products?

AW: I love Frédéric Fekkai and Neil George products. I'm working on a line of my own that will be available soon.

JW: What do you think a woman's hair should say about her?

AW: It's an obvious example of how she cares for herself. It can also make a statement about her personality (i.e., conservative, artistic, simple or flamboyant).

He definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to relaxed hair, I loved that he spoke on stretching relaxers at least 2 months. What he said about natural hair was surprisingly inaccurate I'm not limited in the least by my tightly coily texture as a matter of fact my hair is WAY more versatile now then it ever was relaxed, but hey, he really knows how to hook up some relaxed hair Oprah's hair is straight fire.....I mean thats just FLAWLESS. If I was relaxed I would follow his every word, but really the ladies on LHCF provide the best education for the newbies:yep:

Last edited:
Actually, I agree with him about your texture limiting your styles. Some folks just can't seem to understand that if you're a 4b no matter how much you shingle your hair it won't look like a 3c.

Every texture has its limits, doesn't mean it's not versatile though.

Actually, I agree with him about your texture limiting your styles. Some folks just can't seem to understand that if you're a 4b no matter how much you shingle your hair it won't look like a 3c.

Exactly that's what I took his comment to mean. It's NOT a negative statement at all. 4a/b hair can't and won't behave as 3a would so stop trying and embrace what God has given you:yep:

JW: Solange Knowles made headlines when she decided to go natural. What's your advice for women who want to embrace their own hair?

AW: If you want to embrace you natural texture, you should accept that your styling choices are limited to what you texture can do, and that is different for everyone.

I think his comment is accurate. A person's styling choices are limited to what their texture can do. This sort of advice helps women to focus on their texture and what works for them.

He definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to relaxed hair, I loved that he spoke on stretching relaxers at least 2 months. What he said about natural hair was surprisingly inaccurate I'm not limited in the least by my tightly coily texture as a matter of fact my hair is WAY more versatile now then it ever was relaxed, but hey, he really knows how to hook up some relaxed hair Oprah's hair is straight fire.....I mean thats just FLAWLESS. If I was relaxed I would follow his every word, but really the ladies on LHCF provide the best education for the newbies:yep:

Remember it's not always about you. :)

"AW: If you want to embrace you natural texture, you should accept that your styling choices are limited to what you texture can do, and that is different for everyone. "

I wouldn't say this statement was inaccurate. You do have to accept that your styles are limited by your texture. Some naturals revert at the first sign moisture. Their texture isn't going to allow that style on the regular. Some textures can't rock twist outs like you do, etc. I like about you BMP is your focus on what your hair CAN do, not what your texture CANNOT do.

Hmmm, you are correct...Very interesting...

I need to know Oprah's regimen, hair products and all

The favorite products that he mentioned...Does he use these on Oprah?

I agree that the natural statement was inaccurate.

The response made it seem like you have less options as a natural. Which is not true at all.

We all just have different options. :yep: You can't achieve every type of style with relaxed hair either.

Maybe it's just the way it was worded.

In any case, it's no big deal to me on a personal level.

The interview was interesting! :up:

And I never knew how he looked, lol

If you want to embrace you natural texture, you should accept that your styling choices are limited to what your texture can do, and that is different for everyone.

The man did not say limited, less, none of the above. You cannot isolate one word without considering the context. He said "limited to what your texture can do."... "Your texture can do." "And that is different for everyone."

I don't see how that is now a point of contention. How is that even disputable?

Last edited:

If he would have said it the way you said it I would have agreed as well.

I think the part I took issue with was using the word limits in association with natural hair, I just disagree with that because it kind of gave natural hair a negative connotation as if it has less possibility .....but either way, the proof is in the pudding and he knows his stuff when it comes to relaxed hair.

I think what Andre is saying about natural textures for most 4s is that unless you do something to it (ie heat/relaxer), it will NOT bouce and behave like the commericials. I wish he has articulated it better. He did, after all, come up w/ the alphabet soup categories that people use.
Thats the kind of thinking I was talking about. I'm a 4a coily non-silky and when I want it to, my hair will blow in the wind shine, bounce, swang and look just like the commercials, and I've gotten other 4a's to have the same result, so no, we don't have to think of our hair in terms of limits, I believe in thinking of our hair in terms of possibility.

Either way, I find his typing system simple and useful and I think he's one of the best hair stylists of our time.

He knows what he's doing w/ natural hair too. Oprah's hair is natural, bodacious, and LOoooOOONG. He came up w/ the system, so I think he's quite aware of the realistic expectations of natural hair and what it can do as is. He didn't articlate it well, but he knows natural hair too. Oprah's proof of that and the fact that so many use his system to classify their hair.

Oprah's no longer natural, but you're right, I'm sure he knows what he's doing with natural hair as well since she was natural many times throughout the 24 years he's been her stylist.

The one statement he makes on natural hair includes the word "limited."

That is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of embracing natural texture.

He is showing a pro relaxer bias, IMO. Which is fine, because he is great at dealing with Oprah's relaxed hair. I would never use shampoo 2x a week, never use a brush to distribute oils, never use heat 2x a week. If I were Oprah, and he did that to my fine strands, I would be bald.

The one statement he makes on natural hair includes the word "limited."

That is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of embracing natural texture.

He is showing a pro relaxer bias, IMO. Which is fine, because he is great at dealing with Oprah's relaxed hair. I would never use shampoo 2x a week, never use a brush to distribute oils, never use heat 2x a week. If I were Oprah, and he did that to my fine strands, I would be bald.

I wouldnt do that either and I have very coarse hair.

I don't think the comment on natural hair is controversial. It just is what it is.

I disagree with having to buy the most expensive products statement. Spoken like someone who is about to come with their own product line. :rolleyes:

I never agreed with much he had to say, as I read his book some years ago. Like he was saying you should rinse your curls everyday to refresh them, and if you want to wear your hair straight blow it out with a round brush and blow dryer.

Whatever. That's the ish to snap my hair right off.

Now he may do Oprah's hair justice but more power. He hasn't wowed me enough to stick his hands up in this head.

The man did not say limited, less, none of the above. You cannot isolate one word without considering the context. He said "limited to what your texture can do."... "Your texture can do." "And that is different for everyone."

I don't see how that is now a point of contention. How is that even disputable?

It's not disputable. It's just a slightly weird response imo.

Relaxed hair is limited in the types of styles it can achieve too. It's not as if this only applies to natural hair. It's different for everyone, natural or relaxed. Why specifically say that naturals are limited in their styles? *shrugs* Just strange.

I think it's quite possible that he didn't mean it that way exactly though. Benefit of the doubt, interviews can be tricky :yep:

Back