White dots on the ends of hair? Splits or?

MystiqueBabe

I noticed that when I look at my hair ends in direct sunlight I see they have these white dots on the very ends of my hair. Are these split ends? I also see them right after I cut my hair.

Anyone know?

prettybyrd

I've heard that this can be split ends, and I also experienced this when I had heat damaged hair some years ago after trying to press my hair with a hot comb.

About splits, did you cut your hair yourself? If you did, were you sure that the shears were sharp enough? Using shears that are not sharp enough can cause hair to fray.

MystiqueBabe

I've heard that this can be split ends, and I also experienced this when I had heat damaged hair some years ago after trying to press my hair with a hot comb.

About splits, did you cut your hair yourself? If you did, were you sure that the shears were sharp enough? Using shears that are not sharp enough can cause hair to fray.

I cut my hair myself and just bought those shears this year. I have cut my fingers with them by accident so they are pretty sharp. Sometimes when I cut a section of hair there are no white specks but other times there are still specks. I still seem to be retaining length though. Should I invest in a better pair of shears the ones I bought were only $7.

MystiqueBabe

It has to be my shears I am just starting to cut off a section and I still see the white specks. This is very frustrating since I have already cut off several inches of hair already.

westNDNbeauty

It's called Trichorrhexis nodosa. I was actually just writing up and article on my blog about this and is typically as a result of heat usage.

MystiqueBabe

It's called Trichorrhexis nodosa. I was actually just writing up and article on my blog about this and is typically as a result of heat usage.

I havent used heat in several months and since then I have trimmed off 5+ inches of hair. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy higher quality shears. Until then I'll just keep my ends moisturized and just deal with it. Thanks.

yodie

I had this problem. Unfortunately it stretched the entire length of my strand. I even had my hair looked at under a scope. My strands had exploded from severe heat damage. That white spot was just what westNDbeauty said. Those white spots that weren't cut eventually split on their own. UGH!! Terrible. I started cutting and started wigging. Not saying that you have to do this, but I've since replaced that hair. I never want to experience this again.

prettybyrd

I havent used heat in several months and since then I have trimmed off 5+ inches of hair. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy higher quality shears. Until then I'll just keep my ends moisturized and just deal with it. Thanks.

The last shears I bought were from a BSS in my local mall. I don't remember how much I paid, or the brand, but they came with a free resharpening service. I would suggest finding some that may offer a good warranty or resharpening so that you can be certain that you have a nice sharp blade, especially since you are a DIY'er.

I'm glad you've found the cause of the splits! Keep us posted on the results.

HHJ. :)

Evolving78

it really does sound like heat damage. cutting wouldn't cause that. but whatever it is, i am sure you will get the issue under control.