White or Gray Ends????

rayne

Yesterday I wore my hair down and I got a good look at my ends. In addition to a few split ends, some of the hairs seemed to be gray/white at the ends. I also noticed that a few hairs were bent and they were also white at the bent ends (like that was a pressure point or something). I hope you guys understand what I mean!! I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that maybe the strands that had gray/white ends, were strands that had broken off. Any other opinions?

Tracy

Been doing any heat styling lately?

The one and only time my hair ends were grayish or whitish colored was when I was frying them.

It doesn't have to be this but it's the first thing that comes to mind. It could also be build up from oils or a moisturizer that's sitting on the ends of the hair.

rayne

Tracy, you hit it right on the nose...or hairs!! That same day I did flat iron my hair, but that was the first time in over a month that I used heat. However, after thinking about your response, I remembered that my hair was damaged sometime late last year/early this year. I had been cutting off the damaged ends gradually, but stopped. I wanted to let the damaged hair grow longer and then cut it all off at once. So, I think that hairs that I saw were the damaged hairs that I never cut. Ahhhh, now I can sleep peacefully /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks dear!!

I am resurrecting this thread and I want to ask another question: Do some of you with really healthy hair also have white ends!??!?.... I just can NOT believe my ends are this ridic on such a regular basis.... HELP!

Solitude

I just started reading Chicoro's book...she mentioned "gray ends" when her hair was weathered/ damaged. No personal knowledge about this myself, though.

I've had dry/ crispy ends from too much heat styling, but I've never seen gray or white ends.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
It's kinda like a tiny bulb like the ones you see when you shed. I have some like that and I believe it happened when I was getting Dominican blowouts I guess my hair doesn't need that much heat.

I usually snip them cause those ends are damaged and I'll keep dusting them till the healthy ends take over. HTH

Caramela

I think it's dried out, damaged hair caused by either a heating appliance or a blow drier. I suggest a layered trim to remove them, laying off of the heat and upping your deep conditioning treatments :yep:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like split ends to me. Frayed ends tend to look white like you described. I could be wrong.
:yep:

I found some white spots mid-strand last week. When I pulled on the strand, the lower part broke off and left the new whitish end (that I snipped afterwards).

ChocoKitty

I've seen them on my ends before. I only notice them when my hair is straight. They show up when my hair is dry and has been rubbing against my sweater or something. If I
have mot had a protein treatment in a while it shows on my ends.