BKT alternative?

Uniqzoe

I wanted to know if any of you have heard of or tried Design Essentials New Strengthening Therapy System. This is a new product line (service) from DE as it was just launched earlier this year.

I had a chance to see the system in use when I was a natural hair model for DE at the Bronner Bros show in February. It looks great and unlike BKT it does not contain formaldehyde. I was sitting across from the girl getting the service and did not smell any harsh chemicals either. What caught my attention was when the stylist finished putting the product in the girls hair as he was blow drying it, her hair was as straight as my hair gets with a flat iron! I asked one of the other stylist about it and she told me that it is amino acid based and you can still wear your hair in curly styles it just elongates the curls.

As my hair gets longer and takes longer to style, I would like to try something like this that would allow me a little more manageability but not compromise my natural hair pattern. But I'm always leery to try new things so I figured I would go out on a limb to see if any of you have tried it.

almondjoi85 wrote about the service on her blog and has pics. They also have pics on their FB page but I can't access it right now.

Caramel Hottie UK

Sounds pretty cool... I wonder if it's like the chi american treatment?

Man I wish these things were available in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

PPGbubbles

I would love more info on this!

The longer my hair gets the more I desire to see it straight. It would be nice to find a product that makes straightening easier without all these harsh chemicals I hear about.

And something that makes a press last longer than 2 days on my natural hair :rollseyes:

candy626

Be interesting to see some results but it sounds like mostly marketing. Cysteine is just another protein like keratin neither of which straighten the hair. It's the chemicals and heat process that go along with these proteins that help to temporarily rearrange the bonds in the hair.

Uniqzoe

I would love more info on this!

The longer my hair gets the more I desire to see it straight. It would be nice to find a product that makes straightening easier without all these harsh chemicals I hear about.

And something that makes a press last longer than 2 days on my natural hair :rollseyes:

If you are in the Bay area one of the DE educators is actually a stylist in that area. Her hair was gorgeous, she is natural with WL hair and she used the process on her hair. When I met her she had was wearing a twist out and I thought she had a weave. I will try to post some pics when I get home cause I think they had some of pics of her hair on their fb page.

It's the chemicals and heat process that go along with these proteins that help to temporarily rearrange the bonds in the hair.

You're probably right. I like that they recommend no more 400 degrees for the heat also. I really don't want heat damage but I normally straighten my hair at 400 anyway cause anything lower my hair will laugh at.

Dove56

Dove56 Thanks for that article, I have never heard of Cystine treatments before. Were you able to wear your hair curly also when you had it done?

You're welcome. :) Yes, I can still wear my hair curly with cystine treatments. I've been BKT'ing since April 2009 but the ones with formeldahyde made my hair BONE STRAIGHT!

I started "transitioning" with cystine treatments, QOD MAX Organiq, last September so I my hair has a lot of natural curl back. :yep: I only do two passes at 410 degrees (3c) to manage my natural hair so I can rollerset and wear it straight without reversion.

I have thougth about using sprays like John Frieda 3 Day Straight or Renpure 4-Day Straight sprays for temporary results because I am so lazy when it comes to doing the treatments (I do my own, always have with the exception of one, to better control the results) they take about 3-4 hours.

I order my treatment from www.keratin4u.com

HTH, let me know if you have any more questions.

I'm also planning on trying out the Carol's Daughter Chocolat Smoothing Blow Dry Cream (Cystine based but more like a styling cream) that cutenss sent me (Thanks so much Cutenss!!!!) when I flatiron again which will probably be this weekend!

Last edited:

cutenss

Ok, so where are they doing this in Texas? :look: I would love to have this done. I like the idea of less heat, since my strands are fine. It sounds like it would be perfect for the summer heat :yep:

Kurlee

Kurlee there are so many out now I can hardly keep up lol! Have you tried any of them?

i'm considering trying the arosci intensive restructuring system but i'm still doing my research just to triple check that it is not harmful. All systems seem to point to go, but I know how these companies try to play people. I also don't want to lose my curl pattern. Just want to be able to blow it out without it reverting before i get to the front of my head :look:

Kurlee

http://arosci.net/store/page11.html

About The NEW Intensive Restructuring System
A revolutionary system featuring next generation protein smoothing therapies designed to tame frizz, straighten curly textures, and elongate natural curls with ease. inside out. With the proven AROSCI® Strand-by-Strand Strength™ Complex, AROSCI IRS delivers three levels of protection and strength for up to 12 week of strength, length, resilience and shine.

Fortifies each hair strand with a combination of penetrating amino acids for improved strength with every use. Strengthens with a restorative blend of micro-proteins that helps repair the hair from the inside out. Protects against breakage with a nourishing series of natural extracts that encourage hair growth. Lengthens: When used with heat, delivers significant curl elongation on excessively curly textures without the use of formaldehyde or formaldehyde derivatives.

The new Arosci Intensive Restructuring Foam delivers "relaxer-like" straightening without permanent chemicals, for up to 12 weeks of smooth, straight, frizz free hair. Designed for clients who are Straight Seekers, Natural Wearers and Those In Transition, the Intensive Restructuring Foam transforms the most unmanageable hair into smooth, tamed hair with illuminating shine, while improving hair strength with each use.
Next generation protein smoothing therapy strengthens and lengthens excessively curly textures for extreme manageability and shine. Delivers up to 12 weeks of relaxer like straightening without the use of permanent chemicals
-Ideal for straight seekers and those transitioning out of relaxer + Must be activated with heat, used according to directions to achieve desired result

The Arosci Intensive Restructuring Serum delivers the new standard in natural curl manageability. Designed for Natural Wearers, the Arosci Intensive Restructuring serum delivers maximum elongation, significant curl control, high curl definition, and naturally healthy shine.Next generation protein taming therapy delivers the new standard in natural curl manageability. Elongates and defines curls, tamez frizz and provides manageability and control
Ideal for natural curl wearers wearers

Uniqzoe

Kurlee Thanks so much for that info. I knew the LHCF ladies would come through. I would much rather have a system that I could use at home. It sounds good but I am so slow to try new things but I will definitely bookmark this.

Kurlee

Kurlee Thanks so much for that info. I knew the LHCF ladies would come through. I would much rather have a system that I could use at home. It sounds good but I am so slow to try new things but I will definitely bookmark this.

np, i'm contemplating with you:yep:. I like the fact that I can do it at home vs. having to go to a salon. I am 100% anti-salon.:look:

Dove56

i'm considering trying the arosci intensive restructuring system but i'm still doing my research just to triple check that it is not harmful. All systems seem to point to go, but I know how these companies try to play people. I also don't want to lose my curl pattern. Just want to be able to blow it out without it reverting before i get to the front of my head :look:

I don't blame you. I know I will never do another treatment with even a *trace* of formeldahyde because they ruin my curl pattern.

I so agree with you about starting on your hair then getting to the front and the back is frizzy, that used to TICK me off. Once I spent 2 hours doing my hair back in the day, then the A/C broke in my car so I had to let the window down and it was so HUMID:nono:, by the time I got to work my hair looked a like a bag of black cotton candy.

If you want to make sure you keep your pattern, I found that letting the treatment "wear off" completely stops them having a cumulative effect and minizing the passes and reducing the heat helps. :) I want to try this Arosci, I wonder if I can purchase without a beauty license. :scratchch

Kurlee

I don't blame you. I know I will never do another treatment with even a *trace* of formeldahyde because they ruin my curl pattern.

I so agree with you about starting on your hair then getting to the front and the back is frizzy, that used to TICK me off. Once I spent 2 hours doing my hair back in the day, then the A/C broke in my car so I had to let the window down and it was so HUMID:nono:, by the time I got to work my hair looked a like a bag of black cotton candy.

If you want to make sure you keep your pattern, I found that letting the treatment "wear off" completely stops them having a cumulative effect and minizing the passes and reducing the heat helps. :) I want to try this Arosci, I wonder if I can purchase without a beauty license. :scratchch

you can :yep:. That's a barrier with Design Essentials and Chi. You can't DIY

cutenss

Mocha5 I deleted my post because after further reading, some people were having to wait months to get these products, since they are coming straight from Brazil. I do not want to be the cause of anyone going through the hassle of trying to get their :twocents: back. But if I can find it on Ebay, or a US seller, I will be trying :yep:

Mocha5

Mocha5 I deleted my post because after further reading, some people were having to wait months to get these products, since they are coming straight from Brazil. I do not want to be the cause of anyone going through the hassle of trying to get their :twocents: back. But if I can find it on Ebay, or a US seller, I will be trying :yep:

Keep us posted. Sounds like a great product.