Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Default How long can you stay natural for?

Hi,
it's a bit intimidating as a newbie starting new threads, hope y'all appreciate this but here it goes anyway (if not i enjoyed reminiscing i guess)

Not sure if this thread has been done already as i tried to do a search but it didn't work... anyhow if it has this is a chance for me to share my story and ask a few questions...

Questions are in bold if you don't feel like reading this whole thread - i talk alot can't seem to narrow it down

I just wanted to know the longest time (yrs) people had been natural for. From what i have gathered from the board (forgive if wrong) that most people are newly natural, at most a couple of years or transitioning. It seems that people don't stay natural for long. I also wanted to know what causes multiple transitioning, what tempts people to go back to chemicals.

I will start with my experiences... so i was 19 (still 19 btw - experimented alot this year) i had been natural all my life but i decided to experiment first of all with texturising and now texlaxing. It had taken me till i was 16 to finally appreciate natural hair - i wanted to relax but my mum decided i should stay natural until i was mature enough to make a decision and believed that by that age i would realise natural was the way to go - and she was right.

So i was curious to know how getting chemicals felt and the whole relaxing experience, that tingle on the scalp when getting chemicals - i wanted that

So i decided to go ahead with the logic being really, how long can someone with my type of hair be natural for? it had to happen one day so why not do it now. I love being texlaxed because of the manageability, i have a few issues with my face so i prefer too keep one side of it covered and as a natural the shrinkage was unbearable, i found myself flat ironing it numerous times i one day; now it's burnt and damaged so i am glad i have texlaxed it now so i don't have to do this now. (btw - i am more natural than relaxed percentage wise) I never ever forsee myself ever being relaxed in my life, but natural again -who knows?
UPDATE:NOW 20, SCRAPPING BSL!!! JULY 2010 Goal 1: Stay either NATURAL, TEXTURISED or TEXLAX all my life Goal 2:HEALTHY, THICK HAIR Goal 3:CL-AL; STG-BSL, LTG-WL Goal 4: NO TRIMMING (S&D only until hair goal reached no more repeated cutting from AL to SL
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanked 6,222 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)
Default Re: How long can you stay natural for?

Uhh you can be natural forever if you want to. Obviously some people have been natural their whole lives. I see you have that listed in your siggy.

But as far as multiple attempts at transitioning and returning to chemicals - that's going to vary for each person. Everyone's hair is different. Some people return to chemicals for manageability reasons, tangles, knots, style preferences, shrinkage, etc.

Also, many BW didn't choose to relax their hair. The choice was made for them when they were a child. Some people don't know what their natural texture looks like or how to take care of it because they don't remember. They may have never had to style their hair in it's natural texture. Some people choose to go natural later in life to be able to explore that option.

Lastly, natural hair has not been the norm for BW in the US for centuries. We were conditioned to believe our hair is ugly in it's natural state and that it is shameful to be seen in public like that. In some sectors, natural hair isn't considered acceptable. Some women are concerned about how they will be perceived with natural hair. And that's only after they get over actually going through with the BC to have not only short hair but also kinky hair. Some people return to the relaxer because they haven't "mentally transitioned" just yet.

Natural hair is just becoming mainstream. I honestly think it's because we are moving toward a more green society. I wonder if the scales will ever tip and there will be more naturals than relaxers but we'll see.

Last edited by glamazon386; 05-03-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanked 2,373 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

I got my first relaxer at age 13. Transitioned to natural on my 20th birthday. I'm 27 now and have been au natural almost 7yrs. I will NEVER get another relaxer again. Yes, I know folks say, "never say never..." well, NEVER!! LOL
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanked 2,831 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)

I transitioned twice. I know of people who never relaxed their hair. The reason I relaxed after my first transition, was because I didn't know what to do with natural hair, and wanted to blow dry it straight all the time. Obviously not a good idea.
So I relaxed, and grew it out a little, then decided with all the info on here I would go natural again. Its really specific to each person why they go back to chemicals, or choose not to use them. For me I like the versatility of my natural hair better than relaxing, though having relaxed hair was not a problem for me.

Hoping for WL Dec '14, 3.5" to go!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanked 25,439 Times in 7,662 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 152 Thread(s)

I have been natural for about 30 years of my 40 years of living. I relaxed somewhere in the middle and have no plans of relaxing again. So I'll be natural for 200 years or so.

What makes people transition often is they go into transitioning clueless of what having natural hair is like (because they never have had to deal with it, having been relaxed all their life) or deluded into thinking that their texture will look like their favorite hair idol and then are horrified to find it doesn't behave the same way. Or they transition without really getting acquainted with their hair and get overwhelmed when they BC and have a lot of "unfamiliar hair" after a long transition; or get frustrated trying to figure out what works because they BC'd too fast and hadn't prepared for the "new hair".

There are people on the forum who have always been natural all their life regardless of hair texture. Not sure what your texture is, but considering that that is the hair that God gave you, you can be natural for life if you want.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

hello
i'll try to be straight foward.

longest I've been natural: 12 years. from birth. normal experience. was afraid of the comb. mom used to say I had a lot of hair.

what would tempt me to go back to relaxed:
manageability maybe. the only reason I stopped relaxing was because I did not want to go through the chemical process anymore.

What causes multiple transitioning: never did that.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Thanks for the quick reply ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamazon386 View Post
Uhh you can be natural forever if you want to. Some people have been natural their whole lives.
That's what i thought but yano how much pressure i had from family members and close friends to use chemicals, they were shocked because in their head it was unheard of - people being natural all their life, my mum said i could be natural all my life if i wanted but even for me it just didn't seem a reality as chemicals is what black people 'do' i felt like an exception and now i am wondering now that i have fallen in love with texlaxing what could push be into making a choice to be natural again.
UPDATE:NOW 20, SCRAPPING BSL!!! JULY 2010 Goal 1: Stay either NATURAL, TEXTURISED or TEXLAX all my life Goal 2:HEALTHY, THICK HAIR Goal 3:CL-AL; STG-BSL, LTG-WL Goal 4: NO TRIMMING (S&D only until hair goal reached no more repeated cutting from AL to SL
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Thanked 9,582 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

forever!!!!! i will never relax again!!!

i got my 1st relaxer at like 15 and bout 4 or 5 yrs ago i stopped. i transitioned for like 2 yrs and did mini chops along the way.

i hated relaxing and hated my relaxed hair. i only relaxed because i thought i HAD to in order to wear certain styles and maintain them. now i love my texture and i work with it instead of against it. so i have no reason to go back. i dont miss the tingle. i dont miss the scalp burns. i dont miss the quarter and nickel sized pieces of scalp pealing of (though i did enjoy picking them, but that's another story lol). i dont miss having limp hair that didnt do crap. i dont miss having a crunchy nape. i dont miss having my head smell like chemicals. i dont miss running from water and freaking out about humidity.

i do miss the actual ritual of getting a relaxer. kinda like getting your nails done you know. but when i want that feeling... i go get my nails done or eyebrows threaded lmao

Last edited by Mz.MoMo5235; 05-03-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: edit cause my org answer was confusing lol thanks nonie
Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

I think one can be natural regardless of hair type as long as one chooses. Usually when someone says one type of hair is not manageable, it's because they're trying to treat their natural hair like relaxed hair or another hair type. Personally, I think all hair is manageable, as long as you're doing what's required for that particular type of hair.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.MoMo5235 View Post
forever!!!!! i will never relax again!!!

i got my 1st relaxer at like 15 and bout 4 or 5 yrs ago i stopped. i transitioned for like 2 yrs and did mini chops along the way.

i hated relaxing and hated my relaxed hair. i only relaxed because i thought i HAD to in order to wear certain styles and maintain them. now i love my texture and i work with it instead of against it. so i have no reason to go back. i dont miss the tingle. i dont miss the scalp burns. i dont miss the quarter and nickel sized pieces of scalp pealing of (though i did enjoy picking them, but that's another story lol). i dont miss having limp hair that didnt do crap. i dont miss having a crunchy nape. i dont miss having my head smell like chemicals. i dont miss running from water and freaking out about humidity.

i do miss the actual ritual of getting a relaxer. kinda like getting your nails done you know. but when i want that feeling... i go get my nails done or eyebrows threaded lmao
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
A fleck on His Sword

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

I hate getting my hair done...absolutely hate it! I can count the number of times I have had braids (as an adult) on one hand. Nappy for 15 years and nappy for life.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanked 9,582 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belldandy View Post
lol what!!! i know i'm not the only one who would sit, watch tv and pick at their head!!! its not weird... nasty? yes! weird? no lol at least i dont think so lmao
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM

Thanked 4,176 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

You know a texturizer is a relaxer, right? Just wanted to point that out since you said you could never see yourself with a relaxer -- technically, you're not natural. Texlaxed just means you didn't process it to bone straight.

Hypothetically, one can be natural all her (or his) life....my mom was natural for the first 25 years of her life, then got a relaxer from her coworkers as a "birthday present", then went back natural at the age of 52 with my sister and I. I had a relaxer for about 7 years before I transitioned, and my sister had one for about 4 years before her transition. We all have different hair types and ALL find our hair easier to manage as naturals. I don't know too many people on here who relapse, but there are definitely a few.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanked 2,373 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Quote:
lol what!!! i know i'm not the only one who would sit, watch tv and pick at their head!!! its not weird... nasty? yes! weird? no lol at least i dont think so lmao
Nah, you not the only one. I used to pick my scabs too...smh..looking at the scabs was an amber color. Sometimes it was dark So thankful I gave that mess up!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,076 Posts
Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

let me share my story. I got relaxed at the age of ten. so i thought it was the only way to do hair and continued...till i grew. My grandma and aunts kept saying "your hair was so long when you were young,what happened"..;(it was long and i was fustrated) but just relaxed anyway). I already started thinking about going natural, but was afraid to do so...until i went to my hairdresser got relaxed and burnt!! that was the 7th of december 2007. i said "OK THATS ENOUGH". i transitionned and thought " maybe my hair will grow better being natural, it might be easier for me, lets try" and guess: my hair weardly is growing better. plus i love rocking my fro ad trying stuff with the volume i never had being relaxed. Well as someone said aboce "never sau never "but NEVER will i relax again. no no no no no
NL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL?
Back to relaxed since november 29th 2013
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanked 13,943 Times in 2,405 Posts
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

Natural my whole life (40+ yrs). Brief relaxed period (approx. 3-6 months - against my mother's wishes) in my teens. HATED IT! So I shaved my head. Yes..........SHAVED.......BALD. And I loved it! Kept a TWA for the remainder of my high school/college days - it was the 80s/90s. Women with short hair was HOOOOOOT! And yes, I was, thank you very much.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanked 16,511 Times in 1,948 Posts
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

I have been natural all my life with exception of a few months, which lead to my transition in 2008.
I plan to stay natural, I tried to perm just for the heck of it and found out very soon that it was not for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Tagged: 72 Thread(s)

Quote:
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)

This is my second time going natural. I was natural for two years and relaxed but went natural again after I did a forced bc. Right now I'm 28 months post relaxer (29 months this month) and 22 (soon to be 23) months since my bc and I pretty much going to stay natural hopefully for the rest of my life but short term goal is at least till thirty.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've been natural about 14 or 15 years and I haven't looked back even once.