Wash N Go Thread

BraunSugar

I don't even want to post my pics after looking at you guys, but I guess I will. :grin:

Attachments

• wng.jpg
    wng.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,127
  • wng2.jpg
    wng2.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 420

SmilingElephant

Yeeeah so I just tried to take pics to show and…imma have to wait for when I do a really good wash n go bc right now it looks wack in person but even more wack on camer :nono:

fortunately I had nowhere to be today :lol:

SmilingElephant

I frickin love this thread!! :grin: everybody's wash n go's are beautiful!!! I have been researching and researching on how to do this.

I am SO glad I tried the shaking method! The hair I have in the front that I thought would NEVER curl actually curls thanks to me doing THAT step!!! :woohoo:

NOW my problem is the top of my hair....it lays FLAT and my head tends to look Spongebob-ish.....ya know....square.

I NEED a diffuser or a new step to fix this issha.

Oh I forgot to add that I do poke my head back under the shower head and re wet it after applying products, right before whipping my hair.....the hair whipping is mainly for my loooooose curls in the front and top of my head. Otherwise I could do a gentle shaking. :look: ......well it's fun...don't judge me!!! :lol:

knt1229

I co-wash hair in 4 sections
Use a towel to absorb some of the water
Apply Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer, Eco-styler Gel, and oil, in this order, to each section but I split the sections in half twice for a total of 16 sections.

Shake to remove parts and to get the hair to fall the way I want
Put on headband

I don't do wash n' go's much. Now that my hair is longer my wash n' go's don't really "puff" anymore and I haven't figured out any other way of styling my wash n' go's that I like.

For 2nd day hair, I would dampen the hair, apply more instant moisturizer, then twist. Put on my silk scarf and satin bonnet. The next day I would have a twist out.

Last edited:

lacreolegurl

After washing, I usually make five sections, rubbing Aussie Moist with either Elasta QP wrap lotion or EcoStyler gel and comb thru with a wide tooth comb. I scrunch very little (the more i do it, the frizzier it gets) and let it air dry and fluff up.

LadyEuphoria007

1. Cowash
2. Leave hurr wet.
3. Add leave-in to sections (4)
4. Aloe vera gel for the edges
5. Shake n go

Tis all.

This is what I do as well. A WNG is supposed to be quick and easy...it seems like some of yall are doing too much extra. :lol:

I haven't done a WnG in a hot minute though so I don't have any pics.

Sianna

For my WNGs, I start with a co-wash, then a detangling session, first with the wide-tooth comb, then the Denman.

If I'm avoiding crispyness, I'll fist apply a moderate amount of Long Aid curl activator gel throughout my hair. Then I rake the Eco styler gel through, and shake, shake, shake like a crazy woman! The final result usually looks something like this.

I achieve second, third and sometimes even fourth day hair by spritzing with water and then shake, shake, shaking my head again! :lol: It can be a dizzying process at times. :spinning:

Amoreofcurls

Wash (hair was previously detangled before washing)

Plop hair with t-shirt for about 15 mins

Apply leavein to DAMP hair-my hair absorbs moisture better this way...Seal with Crisco...

Clip hair into 3 big sectionss (nape,middle,crown)

Starting at nape,split into two sections..

I make sure to apply product to my DAMP HAIR (less shrinkage,more clumping, less dry time)

SMOOTH product into hair (smooth, meaning, make sure you work your hands in clapping motion.Shingling over spearates my curls, smoothing keeps my hair natural curl pattern...

As I go over section section, im banding them, three big ponytails, mohawk style...sometimes I pull hair back into one ponytail.

I allow my hair to set in these bands for like 15 to 20 mins, usually while I get dressed and put on make up, sometimes overnight if I want a more controlled look, and dont plan on diffusing...

If I want a fuller look I take down the bands, shake my head, diffuse, then blow out roots with warm heat...

Ive been experimenting with different products lately, so far my favs are Eco Styler gel (olive or argan oil) and Miss Jessies Curly Meringue...

They last to atleast three days, day 2 is always my fav.I can go further sometimes, but by the third day, I just get the urge to wash

Here are results

Giovanni Direct > Crisco >Eco Style EVOO>Proclaim Argan Oil...diffused roots, no stretching.

Day 2

Same products as above but Argan Eco Style, stretched out roots...

Day 2

HS 14 n 1 >Crisco>Miss Jessies Curly Meringue(1st time) , diffused roots, not stretched

After stretching roots

Day 2

My hair is still looking fresh on day 3!! I think I can go another day :yay:...we'll see

This is how I tie up all my wash n goes up, I scrunch giovanni into my ends, seal with proclaim argan oil

Last edited:

SheenaVee

-I co-wash with mainly Herbal Essence.

-Leave a bit of conditioner in my hair (sometimes I rinse it all out)

-Part my hair into two sections. (I used to do lots more sections but it took too long and made my curls look flat and too defined. I used to like this look, but now I like my hair bigger so I don't anymore. Two sections makes it look bigger and more natural looking curls)

-Apply curl defining product (Fantasia or Ecostyler Gel mostly. But sometimes it will be conditioner, or Curls souffle, or Kinky Curly curling custard, or whatever product I wanna try.)

-I smooth the product into the sections, occasionally raking (but not too much)

-Shake a bit to separate curls.

-Diffuse or air dry.

I've gotten second day hair a few times, never made it to third, but that's probably because I don't do anything at night to try and keep it fresh.
Oh, and I've tried the pineapple and it didn't work for me, it just stretched out my curls and made em look weird.

Pics of various wash and goes:

With Gel

Conditioner only (bit of gel in the front)

Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Kinky Curly defined really well, but had so much shrinkage.

SmilingElephant

I tried...I tried it with gel too just isn't working out well for me my texture is still sorta finding its way and I have a few stray relaxed ends. Tonight was the first time I washed and didn't have major shrinkage so I will be giving it a try soon.

Try sleep conditioning with a very moisturizing DC and see if that helps. I found the more moisture I gave my hair the more my curls came alive :yep:

SmilingElephant

For the ladies that diffuse... Which blowdryer do u have? I'm thinking about just getting the Conair blowdryer with the huge diffuser since I won't be straightening my hair anytime soon.

I want the cute pink $30 one I see everywhere. But is it good?

davisbr88

For the ladies that diffuse... Which blowdryer do u have? I'm thinking about just getting the Conair blowdryer with the huge diffuser since I won't be straightening my hair anytime soon.

I want the cute pink $30 one I see everywhere. But is it good?

I wanna know which dryers people use, too!
I just bought a dryer for straightening not too long ago but changed my mind and don't plan on straightening til late 2012/early 2013 and want to invest in a good dryer. Mine doesn't have enough settings for me. Just high, low, and a cool shot.
I want a dryer with speed settings as well (so I can use low heat, high speed), and maybe a cool setting instead of the shot button.

AHeadOfCoils

1. co wash
2. rinse in a downward motion to keep curls slightly undisturbed
3. apply KCNT or whatever leave in I am using
4. apply gel
5. do a quick run through with hot water.
6. shake it like a dog and let my coils free form.
7. If I am walking through the house and not in a rush, I plop. If not, I sit under the hair dryer for 10mins on high and my hair is good to go. It doesn't drip or anything like that.

Shadiyah

I know everyone hair is different but I use mixed chicks but to get a second day out of it I don't put the hairved whipp ends on I put it in a band at the top of my head and tie it up and in the morning I just finger wet it and run my fingers through and take my hand push my curls up to the roots and let it air dry.

but most times I am co washing everyday. so at night I put my whipped ends in plait in 3 sections and tie it up take the plaits out before I get in the shower and run my fingers through my hair so when I get out it is wet but not like I co washed it and let it dry. I never use combs nor brushes. and yes those bands starts my migraines so I can not use them. I have brought so fabric band that just have the elastic in the back I use them sometimes when I don't want to co wash that day and I know my hair is not going to look that great all down because once the waxing feeling comes over my hair I have to wash it. but I will have to say this you have to train it that is why you have to put the comb down, I have lost less hair this way also. If my hair is moist fingers go through without breakage but if it is dry I don't even try.

forgot to add I don't use a dryer since I am in the house everyday it dry fast and I don't put the leave in on until the water stops dripping. I try to tell my daughter to use a blowdryer just like point it at her hair because hers is so thick that it takes all day to dry at night her hair is still wet and she just goes out with it soak and wet even in the winter.

Last edited:

Shadiyah

-I co-wash with mainly Herbal Essence.

-Leave a bit of conditioner in my hair (sometimes I rinse it all out)

-Part my hair into two sections. (I used to do lots more sections but it took too long and made my curls look flat and too defined. I used to like this look, but now I like my hair bigger so I don't anymore. Two sections makes it look bigger and more natural looking curls)

-Apply curl defining product (Fantasia or Ecostyler Gel mostly. But sometimes it will be conditioner, or Curls souffle, or Kinky Curly curling custard, or whatever product I wanna try.)

-I smooth the product into the sections, occasionally raking (but not too much)

-Shake a bit to separate curls.

-Diffuse or air dry.

I've gotten second day hair a few times, never made it to third, but that's probably because I don't do anything at night to try and keep it fresh.
Oh, and I've tried the pineapple and it didn't work for me, it just stretched out my curls and made em look weird.

Pics of various wash and goes:

With Gel

Conditioner only (bit of gel in the front)

Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Kinky Curly defined really well, but had so much shrinkage.

love love love the way your hair looks... keep up the good work

Truth

Good thread :yep: working on new ways to do my wash n go (mainly stretching roots while wet with gel ... and keeping my curls more so clumped. i'm finding that raking seperates my curls a bit tooooooooo much.... Last time I simply smoothed my hair and shook it a bit it seemed to work but my roots were so I guess stuck it had no movement. I like my diffused results better, but I don't want to diffuse everytime I do a Wash n go ....*taking notes* ...

Beverly Ann Properties

Great thread. I have not perfected my wash and go by no means. I will use the tips shared here and try it this spring and summer. Thanks for the tips and especially the pictures.

Fab_Nikki

Hehe everybody is saying "shake and go" or "whip my hair and go". I don't do that so maybe my WNGs haven't been authentic. LOL.

I cowash at night, remove majority of the water out of my hair with micro towel, apply leave in, seal, baggy then put my scarf on over it.

In the AM all I have to do is add styler and fluff a bit or add a headband. Sometimes I mist with water before I add my styler. That's all.

Miss*Tress

Everyone's hair looks so nice. This is inspiring me to revisit WNGs as I haven't done one in years - too much tangling.

Janet'

I know that I don't do a TRUE wash and go, but the initial day, I:

1. Pre-detangle using the WEN cleansing conditioner
2. Wash the WEN out (I wash with my hair in six twists)
3. Apply Mixed Chicks leave in
4. Using a Denman, I make sure the conditioner is applied to all sections of my hair (this is a very important step because I have to detangle)
5. Part my hair in the middle and go...

On the subsequent days, I will apply Ecostyler Olive Oil gel to the sides and back, wet my hair with H20 and EVOO and put it into a pony...and go...

Attached are pics...

Attachments

• June 22 2010.jpg
    June 22 2010.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 4.15.2010 part 2.jpg
    4.15.2010 part 2.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 4152010.jpg
    4152010.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 311
  • Park's Edge 201.jpg
    Park's Edge 201.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Park's Edge 228.jpg
    Park's Edge 228.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 295

BraunSugar

I wanna know which dryers people use, too!
I just bought a dryer for straightening not too long ago but changed my mind and don't plan on straightening til late 2012/early 2013 and want to invest in a good dryer. Mine doesn't have enough settings for me. Just high, low, and a cool shot.
I want a dryer with speed settings as well (so I can use low heat, high speed), and maybe a cool setting instead of the shot button.

To answer both of these, I use the Revlon Pro Stylist. It comes with a diffuser & I got mine from Target. The price was cut to $20. Original price was $29.99 if I'm not mistaken.

pjbapb

I usually co wash then rake my products into my hair while I'm in the shower in this order:
1. leave-in (right now I am using Suave Naturals Coconut)
2. styler (right now I am using Shea Moisture thickening lotion or Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue. If I ever drop a step in my process, it is usually this step. I don't always use a styler)
3. oil (right now I am using Mega Care Vitamin E oil. I use the one in the long skinny 1.5oz tube not the 2oz bottle because they are different formulas.)
4. Eco gel whichever color I feel like using. I am going to try the eco custard over the summer and see how I like that as well.

Next I wrap my hair in a t-shirt and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Then I take my hair out of the t-shirt. I more arrange my hair than shake it meaning I decide where I want my part to be and I arrange my hair that way.
My next step is to "diffuse" meaning I take my blow dryer without the concentrator tip or diffuser tip and point it at my hair in a downward direction and "diffuse" my hair. I blow dry all my hair in a downward direction for 5-7 minutes. I find this is enough time to get my hair dry enough that I can go outside in the cold winter mornings without my hair freezing solid. This also reduces the remaining air dry time significantly.

I prefer to cowash my hair daily if I am going to wear it out because I like the look of a day 1 wash and go the most. But if I am trying to preserve product, I will braid or twist my hair with no product at night and sleep under a satin bonnet to get second and even third day hair sometimes. I only have day one hair results to show though and here they are...