OMG at This Dominican Blowout Video!

Miamori

:look: I kinda got lost at the end.

So I agree with the underlined statement. But then again, I don't think this applies to just Dominican salons or even hair salons in general. If you are paying for a service you should make sure that it meets your expectations. Whether this is getting your hedges trimmed or your car washed. What a stylist does, in most instances, is what you LET her do.

What I am a little confused about is the bolded statement. Are you saying that you feel the ladies in this thread are criminalizing Dominican salons based on this video? And or in general?

No, I'm not. Other ladies in this threads, and in recent threads have voiced that they feel that we (on LHCF) criminalize Dominican salons in this thread, and in others, so in other words, in general. I am saying that I do not believe that is the case.

Are you also saying that there are some people who's hair can take "all of that" and that you think we are being to harsh in our opinions/judgemental of the stylist technique?

Yes, I am saying that their are women whose hair can handle extreme heat. We all have unique hair. Again, no, I am not saying everyone is being too harsh. I am saying that those who believe it is too harsh are justified, and those who don't are as well, since long-term effects will be individualistic, or in other words, different for everyone, since, again, we all have unique hair.

Not trying to start an aruguement...but am really interested in your opinion since you seem to be familiar with the salons and have recently posted about them in several threads.

HTH and thanks for asking. :)

SweetSpirit86

I was just looking at it like...
Wash...
Conditioner?
Rollerset...okay!
Heat...
...more Heat...
........Even more heat?!?:burning:

My head can't take that. I flinch from flatirons/curling irons/hot comb heat racing to my scalp:lachen:

Last edited:

cmw45

HTH and thanks for asking. :)

That make sense. I think I was confused because it didn't seem, at least to me, like the ladies in this thread were attacking the vid (which you have clearly outlined they weren't) and was confused because I thought you thought we were. LOL.

Hey if ya don't know...

And THANK YOU for your informative response.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Her hair looked awesome! I used to go to Dom salons all the time. They really know how to get your hair strait!:yep: It may seem like a lot of heat, but before LHCF, it was what I did once a month. My hair was not fried, either. It was healthy and long. My hair was MBL then.:sad: I am wondering if I can do my own Dom. blow out at home.

Soliel185

Her hair looked awesome! I used to go to Dom salons all the time. They really know how to get your hair strait!:yep: It may seem like a lot of heat, but before LHCF, it was what I did once a month. My hair was not fried, either. It was healthy and long. My hair was MBL then.:sad: I am wondering if I can do my own Dom. blow out at home.

You could do a modified one with less heat. :yep:

I don't rollerset when I straighten.

I bun or braid to stretch my hair. Sometimes I will mist each large section with water, and then blowdry quickly with a wide tooth comb attachment. Lastly, I flat iron with my Sedu and a comb.

It's the same basic steps. but a lot less heat and overall manipulation vs the Dominican. I don't like bristle brushes, but you could experiment with a round brush too.

Avyn

i don't think all that heat is necessary. there are people on here including me who skip steps 1,2, and 3. airdry in ponytail to elongate, product/heat guard, then straighten = awesome results. just because the hair can take it doesn't mean that its needed to get that result. if it took all that i would just go back to relaxing. at least i wouldn't need to use so much heat to get my hair straight.

Love Always

I'm from California and we don't get down like that :nono:. That was a lot of heat but I must say I was impressed by the technique and her hair did look healthy.

andromeda

Well, the smoke definitely scared me and the roller set + blow dry + flat iron seemed like a bit much...but I've never gotten my natural hair done at a Dominican salon. The client's hair did look beautiful and thick, though.

I have gotten my relaxed hair done at Brooklyn dominican salons (only 2 of them) since high school and I think where I went wrong (aside from not understanding and caring for my hare properly) was getting my hair blow-dried. I don't know what possessed me to start doing this bc my hair was good enough with a roller set and wrap. Now that I look back, the blow drying was too much for my fine (?) strands and the resulting heat damage left my hair limp, lifeless and thinning. I should've left well enough alone...

FindingMe

daggggg. i thought she was going to set off the fire alarm with all that smoke and steam....

I was also very confused about how they were going to get it to lay down when she was drying it, it was standing straight up and very stiff...

ETA: IT looked nice in the end...but daggggggg that was a TON of heat...

Last edited:

STLCoverGirl

I am sad to say I let a Domincan stylist do the same thing to my hair last summer. Rollerset, then blowdry, THEN flat iron...luckily my hair bounced back and I didn't have any damage. I must admit the final result was really nice, but it's like playing Russian Roullette with your hair.

blackbarbie

Tell me......why was I cringing and running from the "blowfryer" when I watched this video??? (like I was sitting in the chair) LOL

SpiritJunkie

I went to Dr people once and didn't go back not because i didn't like the results, I was afraid of the HEAT!

My daughter is a natural and she goes pretty regular. Her hair looks beautiful each and every time. they do a good job.

Vonnieluvs08

From some who has had to give up length due to heat damage I will not be getting a doobie done anytime soon. That is the most gentle I've seen a blow out done. I had a modified blow out done once and it was just that a rollerset and blow out. The way they use that brush to get the curl and the swang is amazing. If I wasn't a scaredy cat with heat right now esp after Ms. Norway's results I would like 1 for my bday next month.

Her hair was laid afterward.

BostonMaria

I cringed at the comments on Youtube. I don't get it.

Anyway yeah that's a Dominican blowout. Its rollers, blowdry, and flatiron at the end. I do my own hair, but when I go once or twice a year to the salon they get my hair silky straight and it lasts a week. I personally couldn't put my hair through this every week, but doing this once in a while hasn't affected me at all. Especially since I deep condition the heck out of my natural hair all the time.

gissellr78

her....hair....was....NOT....fried *sigh*. It looked very pretty & silky. I feel like the Dominican salon spokesperson up in here. Of course they had to use extra heat to get 4b natural hair silky.

I agree how else can you straighten natural 4b hair...I mean come on people!!!!:look:

taz007

I agree how else can you straighten natural 4b hair...I mean come on people!!!!:look:
I am 4bzz and when I was natural, I NEVER had smoke filling the room like that :nono:. In Cali, that would be a 5 alarm fire and have folks thinking that there was some rioting goin' on.

I do however understand the need to use high heat, but man ... the smoke!

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I haven't read all the post but from watching the video it's obvious that the "smoke" is coming from whatever product that was int he jar that she used. It her hair was smoking that lady's hands would be burned up. The end result was really pretty.

Fine 4s

Made me nervous and brought back bad heat damage memories...had to fast forward....
Her texture at the beginning seemed fine (not damaged) and since I heard something about being 'nervous' this must have been her first time?

NikStarrr

The smoke is from the product. It's not like you see smoke coming from the dryer when she moves it away from her hair. Oh and I believe they only finish with the flat iron on natural hair. Usually the rollerset/blowdry combo is enough for relaxed hair. It looks like a lot of heat, and personally it's not for me because I can get similar results from rollersetting then flat ironing--skipping the extra step of blowdrying. But I do I have to admit, that I have quite a few friends who've done the Dominican thing weekly and their hair has grown to BSL+ with it. I'm too scared to try it myself tho. haha

AwesomelyNappy

that was a lot of steps just to flatiron hair. I confused because i thought it was called a blowout because you didn't need a flatiron.... but ohwell...

eta: her hair did look nice at the end. maybe the flatiron is for sheen?

NikStarrr

that was a lot of steps just to flatiron hair. I confused because i thought it was called a blowout because you didn't need a flatiron.... but ohwell...

eta: her hair did look nice at the end. maybe the flatiron is for sheen?

I think it depends on hair texture. A friend of mine who is natural gets Dominican blowouts regularly and doesn't get flat ironed and her's comes out silky. She's like a 4a/3c with fine texture, tho. It just depends on the hair.

Kay.Dee

If I have to go through all of that to have some straight hair than forget it, I don't want it that bad. I know that hairdryer had her scalp on fire, the same thing has happened to me.

I have seen someone in the 4 range get pretty good results with just rollersetting/flexi rods and the maxiglide.