How do you "sleep" with your hair?

yokoyokogirl

I try to wrap my hair every night, but often I don't. There are those nights when a big silk scarf on my head isn't sexy. My bf, who is Japanese, says it looks and feels awkward...so my question is how do you ladies "sleep" with your hair? I know one of my Japanese girlfriends "sleeps" with makeup, fake lashes, and her clip-on extensions in, then wakes up after her man is knocked out and goes to the bathroom to do her nightly regimen. I just can't be bothered with that...any advice?:ohwell:

gloomgeisha

Girl please. I sleep with my twists in a bun, covered in Vatika oil, and a baggy over the bun. Slap on my satin bonnet and still preserve my sexy. If hunny wants some nookie he better get it before the baggy goes on or it will be "crinkle crinkle crinkle" all night long. :lachen:

You could try getting satin pillow cases if you're worried about cotton breaking your hair and satin sheets are also great for doing running jump superman slides to the other side of the room.

yokoyokogirl

Thanks! I slept with clips in my hair to hold pin curls together and he was like "They're poking me!" every time he tried to snuggle up...I think he thought Black girls go to bed like they do on tv and just wake up looking fab...:perplexed

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Well, I wear a silk bonnet on my head at night but since your BF thinks that's awkward, maybe you can use a silk/satin pillowcase to sleep on instead. I know a few ladies who do this and their hair is thriving :yep:

bermudabeauty

Satin pillowcase. But you might have to explain to your boo the process and what it is like being a woman of color. I had to break it down to a brotha a time or two. If you have to tie your hair up that is just what you have to do to preserve your sexy hair. He just going to have to get over it.

iprocrz108

In addition to the satin pillow case, you can also try brushing your hair into a high ponytail on the top of your head and securing it with a silky scrunci after he falls asleep. If your hair is long enough you can also tuck the ends of your hair under the scrunci and in the morning you will have curls and lots of body (if you don't use alot of heavy products and oils). BTW, if you wake up in the morning and find that your hair is too curly, wrap your hair before you get in the shower and get dressed to loosen the curls a bit.

Eclass215

See, this is why I love this place - we all have the same issues! :lachen:
I JUST had this discussion the other night which led to me actually sleep in the other room (not the whole night) because I was so mad at my BF for saying "Why do you always sleep with that scarf!? It's not sexy!" I was in no mood to explain the dynamics of black haircare and beauty regimines, so I just left. Maybe I'll get a satin pillow case and see how I like it. :look:

BTW - Does anybody remember in the Tyler Perry movie "Why Did I Get Married" how absolutely gorgeous all the ladies' hair was, and how they didn't show anybody sleeping with a sacrf??? See - movies like that don't let these men see the realness and what it really takes to wake up looking like that every day!! And they expect us to look like supermodels in real life :wallbash:

SoCalli

I wrap my hair in a satin scarf, but if I had a man and was trying to look sexy for him, I'd sleep on a satin/silk pillow case with my hair in one bantu knot like a bun or just keep it down.

Filmatic

I was lucky, my ex used to like the scarf. He said it made me look thuggish.:ohwell: I guess with me being being a diva, it was like role play. I say a satin pillow case or go to the fabric store and get some pretty material that look fashionable.

natural2008

Girl, girl, girl,I do know what to tell you? My boyfriend doesn't mind me wearing my satin scarf nor bonnet. Women of color cannot jsut go to sleep with nothing on their hear and wake up and everything is okay. I would say for you to try to eduacte him and show him some pictures or even have him have a looksie at this website. Good luck :yep:.

Menina Preta

If my hair is straight, I pin curl it and put on my silk scarf and go to bed. If it's air-dried/crinkly, I braid it into 2-4 braids, pin the braids down, and put on my silk scarf and go to bed.

The first time I slept over by my boyfriend's, I asked him "Does the scarf bother you?" He said no. Four weeks later, he's complaining about the scarf, how he doesn't like it, and if I can stop wearing it. Nicely, I explained to him that either I look "crazy" with a scarf on while sleeping or I look "crazy" all day due to messed up hair from not sleeping with a scarf. I told him to choose wisely, and he did. :look: I do make an effort though to remove the scarf in the morning when I get out of bed (at one point, I used to walk around scarfed up all day with my glasses...lol).

MrsBurns82

My SO always complains about this! I do it anyway. I just ask him "well do you want me to wake up lookin a hot mess in the morning"..that shuts him right up (until the next nite anyway :spinning:)

Same here, my SO is Puerto Rican and he especially hates the bonnet he says I look like the cook from muppet babies. He has some nerve though because he sleeps in a wave cap he says if he doesn't his curls will be spiked in the morning.
Pot... Kettle...Black... absolutly

Menina Preta

I'm biased b/c I've always been a scarf girl, but honestly, if I was a dude, I would have to give my SO the gas face if she wore a bonnet to bed. Bonnets remind me of old-time grandmas from the early 1900s. :look:

likewtr4chklit

Hmmm maybe I need to adopt some new bed hair practices LOL I'm not giving up the scarf, but maybe I can get some pretty fabric or something. Actually Dh knows that I have to tie my hair up, so he leaves me alone.

DMJ's Mom

I wear a Durag to bed. I've found I can tie down my afro so its not so big and awkward. And SO doesn't really care when its time to play he's oblivious to what's going on above my eyebrows

Crystal22

I understand the satin pillowcase thing, and it takes care of one problem--keeping breakage at bay--but I wear my hair wrapped often and I just don't see how sleeping on the satin pillowcase will preserve the look of the wrapped hairstyle as well as if you were to actually wrap it and scarf it. Does anyone understand what I mean? This is why I have yet to go that route. I guess I could just try it out. Plus my skin is acne prone. Wouldn't sating vs. cotton trigger breakouts?

SoCalli

I understand the satin pillowcase thing, and it takes care of one problem--keeping breakage at bay--but I wear my hair wrapped often and I just don't see how sleeping on the satin pillowcase will preserve the look of the wrapped hairstyle as well as if you were to actually wrap it and scarf it. Does anyone understand what I mean? This is why I have yet to go that route. I guess I could just try it out. Plus my skin is acne prone. Wouldn't sating vs. cotton trigger breakouts?

Yeah, I know what you mean, but that's why I put my hair in one big bun/bantu knot. My hair comes out so cute. The roots are still straight, but the ends are wavy like I put rollers in them. It gives me sleek beach looking hair. I have to put setting lotion or gel in it before I do the knot though.

I use a satin pillowcase and fasten my hair into a loose bun and pin(hairpins not bobby pins:ohwell:) the bun(thus protecting my precious ends:grin:) in the direction of the curls. Works best for rollerset or airdry. If your hair is not long enough for bun a french roll/twist may work also. When I was relaxed and wore wraps, I would take down bun in morning, wrap and scarve tightly while a.m. showering with plastic cap on and getting ready for school, work etc and then take it down.

My SO is half asian with stick straight hair--he had to get used to black hair care with me, so I understand. His mom is asian and his two sisters have straight asian hair also ,so he was not used to black womens hair differences. He does, however have to deal with my plastic cap in the shower bc I am not giving it up...but now he wears one too bc he does not wash his hair every single day either:lachen:

I have a few narrow(silk, pretty design!) scarves that I will tie on more like a headband and falling sash in addition to the bun sometimes too. If you match it with a cute nightie or pj set, it will look quite cute for your BF! HTH !:yep:

Blessed_Angel

I know what you mean. I give my hair a "break" about once or twice a month. Mainly on lazy or late nights. But dh doesn't care, especially if he wants me in the dark...:lachen:

But I've heard of women like your friend who act like that with their men, and I just can't get with that; or even understand it. I want a man to accept me the way I am. Make-up or not! :grin:

Monigirl

Don't worry....your boyfriend will get use to it. But in the mean time try a satin headband and comb your hair up into a bun. Here is an idea of a satin scarf headband.
And also sleeping on a satin pillow case too.

My dh does not care if I wear my purple, pink or black head scarfs at night. He knows that without the scarf I will get breakage, I take forever to get ready or look like buckwheat:lachen:in the morning. Also, both me and my dh sleep on satin pillow cases. They are comfortable and silky. I had to get my dh one b/c he likes how satin pillow cases feel (plus he kept stealing my pillow).