Let me show you why I’m tripping…

JinaRicci

What do you do for pre-poos, I used to do them back in the day with olive oil only----->but that got messy and old...I am open for ideas though...

For pre-poos I do different mixtures of oils: vatika, alma, jojoba, olive, & sebastian potion 7. Lots of people here seem to do well with the ayurvedics for upping their growth. HHG

Netta1

I think you should def UP your moisture game. You might want to dry deep conditioning if not every week/every other week and with heat (i.e. heating cap/dryer). You could also dry using Lucky's Mom - home grown steam treatment.

I would also suggest clarifying your hair at least once a month. If you're only co-washing, you aren't really removing product build up. I tried strictly co-washing for a month or two straight and my hair was mush. Now I clarify every other wash.

Additionally, you may want to try adding protein treatments to your regimine. I currently use the Joico's KPAK line exclusively. I use it bi-weekly. One week I co-wash and deep condition and the other week I use the Joico KPAK line including the Protein reconstructer.

HTH

I am going to have to do a search on the homegrown steam treatment until I invest in a steamer (which will be soon...hopefully).

I shampoo my scalp often, maybe I can do it once very other week and CO wash daily. I need to switch back to Jasons it was a pretty good shampoo with no ALS/SLS.

How do you carify? I'v heard of folks adding baking soda to their conditioner, but I don't know about that...so what do you do?

My hair normally does not have a problem with natural proteins from time to time...maybe like an egg mixed with oilve oil and yogurt. This of course is messy. Do you suppose that Joico is a good alternative?

I know I need more moisture then anything because my hair is 4A-however I do agree that I don't want my hair to be weak.

My hair is naturally spongy, so it will be hard to tell when I am due for a protein treatment..

So how can you tell?

hair4romheaven

Get jasons biotin shampoo. I dry poo with it and leave it for about 30 min run my hands under water and massage while my hands are wet. It stimulates the scalp it and give a lasting tingle to ur scalp. I use jason biotin conditioner with a lil CO leave on for as long as I can with heat then with out. Keep checking the hair and adding water with you fingers while massaging the scalp.
I wash in corn rows that's the only since I am transitioning. I have retained close to 4" in 7mnths not great but it works for me 4 now.

GodMadeMePretty

Why is everyone assuming that it must be her regimen or detangling. Her hair could be at its terminal length. Everybody has different life cycles for their hair. If the life cycle is 3 years, then it will grow, rest and then shed. If your hair growth is below the average and that 6 inches IS an average which means there may be some people whose hair grows 3 inches per year. If your hair cycle is 3 years with 3 inches per year, your hair won't get longer than 9 inches.

I'm not saying that it's not your regimen, but it could also be your hair's life cycle and YOUR particular growth rate. It does not look like you are opposed to color. I say color a portion of your hair (like a highlight or something) and check the length of the new growth after about six months and come back and tell us how much it has grown. You have to see how YOUR hair grows, not rely on the average person.

Netta1

Why is everyone assuming that it must be her regimen or detangling. Her hair could be at its terminal length. Everybody has different life cycles for their hair. If the life cycle is 3 years, then it will grow, rest and then shed. If your hair growth is below the average and that 6 inches IS an average which means there may be some people whose hair grows 3 inches per year. If your hair cycle is 3 years with 3 inches per year, your hair won't get longer than 9 inches.

I'm not saying that it's not your regimen, but it could also be your hair's life cycle and YOUR particular growth rate. It does not look like you are opposed to color. I say color a portion of your hair (like a highlight or something) and check the length of the new growth after about six months and come back and tell us how much it has grown. You have to see how YOUR hair grows, not rely on the average person.

Thanks! I don't think I've reached my terminal length b/c my hair grows on average like .5 in or more per month. My hair is constantly growing and I can tell when my hair is natural braids b/c then I can see my newgrowth clearly. My hair grows like weeds...but I am not retaining length from what I can see...My hair appears to be more dense then it used to be...but length--nope. I guess that is why people want to know my reggie..

Thanks girl!

I have had color at least three times over the 6 years...

BlackMasterPiece

You said your hair is usually protected, what does that mean? What kind of styles are you typically wearing?

Do you sleep with a satin cap/scarf?

Do you wear your hair out alot? Is your hair plagued by ssk's?

Have you ever tried having your hair in long term protective styles? Did you retain length with that?

Are you sure that co-washing often is beneficial to your hair? I quickly discovered that it was too much manipulation for my coils and cut it down to washing once per week with my sulfate free poo.

Also when you straighten, do it for real, because a kinky straight result will not allow you to see your true progress considering our shrinkage.

CurlyMoo

Well, if I don't get the results I'm looking for I change my regimen. Also, I thought my hair wasn't gaining length until I bone straightened it! Pulling hair doesn't really give an accurate picture.

How much Zinc and Iron are you getting in your diet? Are you taking any fish oils? This has been very helpful to me. Tell us about your vitamin suppliments.

Are you getting a lot of breakage? If you see a lot of little hairs in the sink then you may need either a trim or an intense protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step treatment to stop breakage. That's what I do when the trim gives no results. Remember to deep moisture condition right after. Good luck and don't worry the ladies of LHCF are here to save the day!

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I would cut out the frequent co-washing. Some hair just can not take the manipulation. I would seriously consider trying a low-manipulation regimen.

RENIBELL

Reggie:

I really don't have one lets see....

in the first 3 yrs I co washed often now....

I co wash but my hair is damp not wet

in the first 3 yrs when I did used shampoo I usually used SLS free shampoos now...

I just wash with whatever works...

in the first three years I wore my hair out a lot (or so it seems)...I styled it more now....

Its usually protected...

in the first three years I used a braid spray with extensions and surge (protein spray) now...

I don't really get braided extensions that often and I don't use braid spray on my natural braided hair

in the first three years I deep conditioned often w/ lekairs now....

I don't "deep condition" I just slap some conditioner in there let it sit while I am in the shower and rinse it out

in the first three years I did a lot of steam treatments at the gym in the locker room now... I don't

My diet has changed over the years I went from gradually cutting meat out of my diet... now I just eat fish

I never was really big on trimming my ends...evey once in a while I would get them dusted...

I think the thickness is the same...that might've increased :lol: I tried to flat iron in the second pic which is why my hair looks a little wimpy compared to the first... no extreme hair loss while detangling...

Its funny I know my hair is growing b/c when I have it braided I can see the newgrowth...but I am not retaining it :cry:

It has to be maintainence I just wish I knew what I was doing....

I won't give up...but here is a picture of my thickness...my thickness has not decreased but my length on the other hand has not caught up to it by far... :lol:

pic of thickness...thickness has not changed...

I wish I knew somebody...

you think I'm alright-you are soooo sweet :kiss:

your hair is georgeous in that thickness shot. dont know you know, your regi seems fine to me, you dont even use heat so i cant see what could make it look shorter. except the angles the pictures were taken in. try doing your lenght check more often to keep a close eye on things. i do mune every three months just to see if i'm doing things right :yep:

nuggetrock

Yes To Cucumbers is a good moisturizing natural condish...they also make a leave-in but you could use the condish too....you can find it in Walgreens or a store like that if you don't have those near you. Also, since you don't like pills, liquid vitamins made from whole foods at most natural food stores (and of course at Whole Foods) are pretty good...tastes like freshly juiced veggies and fruits.:lick: Try it...there are quite a few brands...

Netta1

You said your hair is usually protected, what does that mean? What kind of styles are you typically wearing?

Do you sleep with a satin cap/scarf?

Do you wear your hair out alot? Is your hair plagued by ssk's?

Have you ever tried having your hair in long term protective styles? Did you retain length with that?

Are you sure that co-washing often is beneficial to your hair? I quickly discovered that it was too much manipulation for my coils and cut it down to washing once per week with my sulfate free poo.

Also when you straighten, do it for real, because a kinky straight result will not allow you to see your true progress considering our shrinkage.

I wear my hair in twist/braids 90% of the time, 5% of the time I wear it out/wild and free and 5% I wear it in a puff.

I used to co wash more and back in the day it worked for me-this is why I was considering getting back to that routine. I could assess how often I want to co wash, however. I plan on returning to my non SLS/ALS shampoo from back in the day. I would like to do a shampoo and dc at least once a week.

whats ssks?

I never slept with satin/silk scarf on a regular bases in the past and it didn't effect my growth...but maybe times have changed. I've been wearing one lately...it still falls off.

Well, if I don't get the results I'm looking for I change my regimen. Also, I thought my hair wasn't gaining length until I bone straightened it! Pulling hair doesn't really give an accurate picture.

How much Zinc and Iron are you getting in your diet? Are you taking any fish oils? This has been very helpful to me. Tell us about your vitamin suppliments.

Are you getting a lot of breakage? If you see a lot of little hairs in the sink then you may need either a trim or an intense protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step treatment to stop breakage. That's what I do when the trim gives no results. Remember to deep moisture condition right after. Good luck and don't worry the ladies of LHCF are here to save the day!

Thanks! :kiss:

No I never notice a bunch of little hairs, I never notice any hairs at all, unless I am combing through my hair after having it in natural braids for a while. In the past 6 years I have never noticed hair loss...which is why I am really puzzled about the length..

It grows, I don't have crazy shedding, its thick, but some how I am not retaining.

I need to take vitamins but I never did that in the past either...maybe my body is just requiring more

I do own a business
work a full time job
have a husband
and a stepchild
and I am in the Doctoral program

...maybe thats what happened to my hair these last three years :rofl:

BlackMasterPiece

Yea I think wearing a satin scarf or cap every night is fundamental. Try a satin cap with the tie or the satin caps with the elastic to try to help with slipping off overnight....thats huge.

You been on LHCF as long as you have and you talkin bout you don't wear a satin scarf/cap regualrly?:rolleyes: c'mon girl:giggle: you wylin lol

Netta1

^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^ I know I'm wylin fo real^^^^^^

:rofl:

I just thought that maybe well....I mean it did work out for a while...

I ain't gon' even try to justify it :lol:

I will tie two scarfs on tonight

:look:

BlackMasterPiece

/\ :rofl: no need for two scarves just get you a good satin bonnet:yep:

I wear my hair in twist/braids 90% of the time, 5% of the time I wear it out/wild and free and 5% I wear it in a puff.
What do you use to twist your hair? Does your hair stay moisturized?

I used to co wash more and back in the day it worked for me-this is why I was considering getting back to that routine.
When you say it was working for you does that mean that your hair was longer then it is now?

I could assess how often I want to co wash, however. I plan on returning to my non SLS/ALS shampoo from back in the day. I would like to do a shampoo and dc at least once a week.
That sounds good:yep:

whats ssks?
Single Strand Knots

I never slept with satin/silk scarf on a regular bases in the past and it didn't effect my growth...but maybe times have changed. I've been wearing one lately...it still falls off.
Well nothing can really impact growth but did it effect your retention? You gotta change some thangs up if you wanna start retaining more hun. Get a satin bonnet with the elastic that'll stay on your head all night....I'm religious with that and it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Netta1

What do you use to twist your hair? Does your hair stay moisturized?

Whatever I can grab----> I know, I know. I suppose I can use shea butter or coconut oil...I don't own any creamy moisturizers. I do not feel like my hair is moist until after I take down my braids...

[When you say it was working for you does that mean that your hair was longer then it is now?]

No not really, just that it seemed as if I was retaining more length b/c my hair was grew long seemingly quickly. well my growth is still the same but my retention isn't.

[ Single Strand Knots]

I don't really get these...my hair just LOVES to clump together esp at the ends.

[Well nothing can really impact growth but did it effect your retention? You gotta change some thangs up if you wanna start retaining more hun. Get a satin bonnet with the elastic that'll stay on your head all night....I'm religious with that and it makes a huge difference.

I am all over it...like cheese on fries.. :lol:

Last edited: