Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

SuchaLady

First relaxer touch up in 3 years. I relaxed my whole virgin head in July 2014. I'm going to do a rinse later this week and probably weave with a leave out Columbus day weekend. I am training for a Nov. half marathon and my hair has been a mess because of all the sweat.

loved did you relax it yourself?

toaster

I don't know where else to post this so... random it is.

In the beginning of the year I vowed to wear my hair out more, so I started rollersetting my hair. I liked how my hair was stretched, how easy it was to detangle at every wash, and that I didn't have to wash my hair every day. I didn't like that I still had to bun every day. My hair texture and roller setting skills didn't allow my set hair to really be "wearable" as an out style unless I did something else to it, and I'm pretty style challenged. I also couldn't moisturize my hair with water based moisturizers because I was worried about reversion, which I think didn't allow my hair to flourish as it should have.

So I went back to cowashing and wet bunning, which always works for my hair but I wasn't happy wearing it up all the time.

For the past week I've tried twist outs and braid outs, washing twice a week. I like that when my hair is dry, I can simply unravel the twists or braids and I have a style. If I want to wear it down, I can. If I want to bun, I can. At night I can use a spray leave in and put my hair in two braids and in the morning it's still in a style!

With both styles I have to sit under the dryer, so that's annoying, but for now the twist/braid outs win.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I bought some more eco styler gel; but this time in the Clear jar. My local Sally's ran out of the green gel. I will try it out tomorrow on my edges.

Angelbean

Will wig it for six weeks I need a hair break...then I will touch up my roots with henna...I can't do full head applications anymore it's straightening my hair out to much for me...

Sholapie

attaching extensions to box braids is hard! without youtube I would have never dreamed of doing my own. I am very very slow but they are secure which is good :yep: hopefully I can only get better

CarLiTa

I kinda let myself be talked into not straightening my hair. And then I had no time to change my mind.

I kinda regret it. I'd been looking forward to having my hair out and doing a length check. Feels like I'm a few inches away from elbow length, but I wanted to confirm that with straight hair.

Probably won't straighten until December at this point. I am going to get braids done at the end of the week until then. In the meantime, hoping for more moisture and growth.

nerdography

I'm mad that when I went natural the first time that I let myself be talked into not using heat.

Since I've added blow drying and flat ironing back into my routine my hair detangles easier and I don't have a lot of shedding. And my hair stays moisturized and I don't have to use as many products.

But, when I think about it I shouldn't be surprised. When I was little, my mother used a blow dryer, hot comb, and curling iron on my hair once a week and my hair was down to my butt.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have been working out a lot more lately so I gave to shampoo my hair more. I love wash days! Today I want to do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment to strengthen my strands. I'm not sureif I should keep wigging it or rock a bun for the next few weeks...

Lilmama1011

I'm pineappling now. It works. I just use a satin head band and put my head forward and slide it up. But doing that and oiling my scalp and massaging has me looking like Don king lol

veesweets

I'm not sure if I should buy an actual setting lotion or not. The BSS I just left had both Nairobi and keracare which were both on my list. The Nairobi was cheaper but that's whatever.

lana

Attempted a corrective. My hair just laughed. I might as well just go natural now.

Saludable84 - I hope you don't go natural unless it's what you want to do. Your hair in your pictures is gorgeous! Which brand of relaxer do you use? I texlax and use Mizani for sensitive scalp (lye) relaxer, but I like how your straightened hair is sleek with sheen.

lana

I'm so tired of my henna'd haircolor showing through so strongly. For whatever reason, Indigo doesn't really "take" on my henna'd hair. I have a few strands of gray in my bands and I'm WAY too young for gray hair, so...I henna.

But I ended up with a red patch on my bangs that won't indigo.

I also think I need to change my texlax from mild to medium. My hair looks way too close to natural and it's harder to straighten than it needs to be. Hair woes!

AgeinATL

So glad that it is getting cooler. I can start straightening my hair more and not feel like it is a complete waist of time

#transitioningproblems

Babygrowth

My friend who's always had SL or APL hair looked at my hair the other day after I blow dried it for her sister to braid and said "you got hair!" Lol this is a big deal for me because I've been on this journey for 3 yrs now and I'm finally seeing some results. :up:

GettingKinky

Why did I ever stop using AOWC on my hair before braiding at night? I just did it again last night and it gives me smooth hair with very little frizz.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
It took incredible willpower not to BC the back half of my head Friday night. My hair really wanted to be curly & coily & clumped and I was so tempted to let it be.
Then I remembered that I wouldn't be able to ponytail and bun it when needed if I'd cut it and those scissors were put back in the closet :lachen:
I need to get some half wigs or twists or braids or something because this chopping bug is really whispering in my ear these days.

Kaitlynrs91

Tried to do a blow out and failed.. My ends kept getting tangled even though I made sure to detangle prior. I couldn't even get through the first section without breakage.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wanted to like Aubrey Organics, but it just didn't deliver :nono: Luckily cheapies like vo5 and Hello hydration are the business

spellinto

It felt really good to DC and air dry my hair today :yep: It was pretty easy to detangle, and actually enjoyable to do so because my hair was super soft and cooperative.

Right now I have it detangled, M&S'd, detangled, and smoothed down under a satin scarf. It feels cool to the touch and super smooth, yay! These would be optimal conditions to do a braid out, but I'm going to keep bunning for awhile.