Experiences with Hair Oiling

Have you noticed a positive change in your hair with oiling?

• Yes, I love it.

Votes: 106 75.7%
  • It's all right, not really super special.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Not really, my hair feels the same whether I do oil treatments or not.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Absolutely not. My hair hates excess oil.

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

MsEllie

Before I became aware of this site I was greasing my hair and still receiving a lot of breakage and dryness even though I was greasing. Then I found this site and BHM and I have been following a lot of the information pertaining to moisturizing and oiling with natural oils - I add them to my conditioners for both co washing and deep conditioning. My hair has been out of the Weave since the end of January and we are now going towards the end of March and its still down. By now before I found these sites it would have been broken off and I would have been back in the braids or weaves. Nothing against them I love the both but I've always wanted to learn my own hair. I believe I'm making great progress thanks to you ladies on this site and BHM. My hair just loves the coconut oil, shampoo and conditioner.... I think it loves coconuts :yep::grin:

LushLox

Castor oil is lovely. It really does help me to keep the moisture in my hair.

I have a problem though, I ordered two large bottles of castor oil last year, and the bottles have a 'best before' date of end of March 09. Will it be that much of a problem if I use at least one of them or is it best to throw them away? I'll order smaller bottles next time!

Harina

For the women who use coconut oil. Are you ladies using virgin coconut oil or just regular coconut oil. I went to the store and a bottle of virgin coconut oil is about $10 more than the regular. Is the extra money worth it?

vnaps

Castor oil is lovely. It really does help me to keep the moisture in my hair.

I have a problem though, I ordered two large bottles of castor oil last year, and the bottles have a 'best before' date of end of March 09. Will it be that much of a problem if I use at least one of them or is it best to throw them away? I'll order smaller bottles next time!

if it was a use by date then you would need to throw it away. ....Best before is something manufactures do to save their behinds from potential law suites....in other words the castor oil will be fine.....oils dont go rancid unless u add water to them.

so my view is not to throw them away.......not only will it be a waste if u did but an unnecessary one at that.

hth...hhg!

Pooks

For the women who use coconut oil. Are you ladies using virgin coconut oil or just regular coconut oil. I went to the store and a bottle of virgin coconut oil is about $10 more than the regular. Is the extra money worth it?

I've seen regular coconut oil in BSS type stores, the Organic Extra Virgin oil is much better in my opinion. You want it to be solid at room temp and liquid when warmed, thats the real deal. I love EVCO for sealing my ends nightly and when doing bantu knots/chinee bumps - it leaves my hair smooth and silky, and moisture is retained much better.

I also use essential oils of rosemary and peppermint for scalp stimulation with a base of jojoba.

Oils are great for me and my hair, now grease on the other hand... :nono:
So glad I found LHCF so I could stop clogging my poor follicles and leaving my hair all gicky n sticky with petroleum based rubbish that created a barrier to any moisture and did nothing beneficial for my hair!

Tyra

:grin:I love Coconut oil. I use it in my dc mixes and my pre-poo mixes.
For my new growth I use Wild Growth Oil. It works wonders as far as softening and smoothing out my ng. And I use Vatika or WGO when I moisturize and seal my ends.

Caramela

I love oil. I don't even need to use that much, maybe a teaspoon or two, if that. My favorite is olive oil. I mostly just use after washing and rub it through my length and ends.

swalker31

I'm a oil-a-holic! :grin: I pre-poo with amla, olive, avocado and coconut. Then I add almond and jojoba to my deep conditioner and seal with castor oil on top of my leave in and my hair has been very very well. I'm probably in month 3 of my commitment to this regimen and I've had great growth and very minimal shedding.

Harina

I've seen regular coconut oil in BSS type stores, the Organic Extra Virgin oil is much better in my opinion. You want it to be solid at room temp and liquid when warmed, thats the real deal. I love EVCO for sealing my ends nightly and when doing bantu knots/chinee bumps - it leaves my hair smooth and silky, and moisture is retained much better.

Ok, thanks.

Ivy Santolina

I just recently started hair oiling as a pre-poo, adding it to my co-wash, DC and to my MegaTek. I can't say it has increased the growth of my hair but I can say my hair is a lot less tangled after washing. Oiling along with ACV rinsing has helped me retain my length.

qwnbee1

Hair oiling is a practice associated with Indian/Ayurvedic routines but is also practiced in other places (such as Africa and the Mediterannean). It is believed that oiling the hair with natural oils contributes to its health, adding to it richness of color, moisturization, strength, and increased shine. What I wanted to know is have any of you ladies noticed a positive change in the health, appearance, and condition of your hair from oiling (hot oil treatments with natural oils, pre-pooing, scalp massaging with oils, etc...)? Have you experienced increased growth from incorporating oiling into your hair care routine? And if so what oils do you prefer to use and how do you use them? Thank you :).
growing up, there was an italian lady who ran the neighborhood store...she had hair down to her butt, and she told my mother she used hot olive oil in her hair every friday night and washed it out on saturday morning...my mother immediately started us on olive oil for oil treatments, and i have faithfully followed this ritual for hair health...i also love castor oil on the scalp...it will grow your hair like nothing else...i once grew my hair WL during one summer of using nothing but castor oil treatments as an experiment...it not only grew long, it was also very thick...

Ivy Santolina

growing up, there was an italian lady who ran the neighborhood store...she had hair down to her butt, and she told my mother she used hot olive oil in her hair every friday night and washed it out on saturday morning...my mother immediately started us on olive oil for oil treatments, and i have faithfully followed this ritual for hair health...i also love castor oil on the scalp...it will grow your hair like nothing else...i once grew my hair WL during one summer of using nothing but castor oil treatments as an experiment...it not only grew long, it was also very thick...

My hair loves EVOO. I'm going to add castor oil to my MT mix to see how my hair likes it.

alopeciagrl

I use oil in my hair and LOVE IT. It's definitely conditions the hair and protects it from damage. The only downside is that my hair is kind of thin so by the end of the week I may not have all the body I had when I first curled it. But I'll just have to deal with it. It's better than loosing hair.

LushLox

I use oil in my hair and LOVE IT. It's definitely conditions the hair and protects it from damage. The only downside is that my hair is kind of thin so by the end of the week I may not have all the body I had when I first curled it. But I'll just have to deal with it. It's better than loosing hair.

Yeah that's my small issue too, but no pain no gain right...

marla

When I don't have a lot of new growth EVOO is my preference. After it gets growing I find coconut oil works better.

koolkittychick

Actually, using straight up oil without a water-based cream of some sort actually dries out my hair and causes it to snap off due to becoming brittle. Moisturizing and sealing (or LOC, depending on the weather), are necessary steps for me for optimal moisture balance. :ohwell:

Misseyl

Every week I pre-poo with a mixture of olive, castor, coconut, argon and rosemary oils, leave it overnight then shampoo on Saturday. My scalp is thanking me for it. I'm not sure what it does for my hair but it doesn't hurt. For the past couple of weeks, I have been applying coconut oil right after rinsing out the shampoo and proceed to condition and sit under my steamer for 20 minutes. My hair feels soft after doing this. Right now I am waiting for delivery of my Lemongrass, Lavender and Argon essential oils which I will be adding all of them to my shampoo; add lavender and rosemary to my conditioner and leave-in. I will also make a mixture of jojoba, lavender, rosemary, argon, lemongrass and apply it to my edges. Also I’ll make a concoction of shea butter mixed with lavender, rosemary, castor, coconut, jojoba and argon oils to use as my sealant. I'm hoping that my thinning edges and my thinning hair will benefit from all of this.:afro:

Last edited:

krissyhair

I use coconut oil also. Does anyone know what is the best way to wash it out of your hair?

Depends on if you want all of the oil out or a little bit.

For a thorough cleanse, rinse thoroughly and wash with clarifying shampoo.

For a light cleanse and deep moisture treatment, soak in oil, then cowash away the excess.

snookes

Hair oiling is a practice associated with Indian/Ayurvedic routines but is also practiced in other places (such as Africa and the Mediterannean). It is believed that oiling the hair with natural oils contributes to its health, adding to it richness of color, moisturization, strength, and increased shine. What I wanted to know is have any of you ladies noticed a positive change in the health, appearance, and condition of your hair from oiling (hot oil treatments with natural oils, pre-pooing, scalp massaging with oils, etc...)? Have you experienced increased growth from incorporating oiling into your hair care routine? And if so what oils do you prefer to use and how do you use them? Thank you :).
Only when I mix them with a leave in conditioner. I use shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil.

snookes

I love oil. Almost as much as I love water.

I oil my hair with castor oil every single day. Love it. I also over night condition with coconut oil or castor oil. Coconut oil is a great conditioner, I just put it on wet hair, comb through, braid up, and put on a plastic cap. By morning it's absorbed. Same with the castor oil. Castor is supposed to help with the thickness and I can't say for sure that it does, but I do know that it makes my hair stronger.

Water and oil. That's all I need in my life. Everything else is just extra.
How much coconut oil do you use?

snookes

So how long is your mum's hair now?

trclemons

I love oils too. My favorites are Keravada, Hydroquench, Hairveda, Mielle Organic, Kreyol Essence HBCO, NJoy, Mission Condition, and Hydrathermals.