Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Minty

MeT you got it down to a science going on!

Lovin your results too! I'm so behind on this thread....

sheba1

I'm thinking about Overlapping but I'm worried about overloading my hair with protein and generating breakage.:nono:

When do you overlap? Monthly?How do you do you overlap?

More information please?:yep:

I overlap whenever I get good and ready. I know Brittany did monthly treatments until she had several layers. Now she does not clarify (shampoos before application) and mostly does roots only applications now. I do full head and do clarify. I've had no issues.

Do you simply skip the clarifying process adn apply the keratin treatment on freshly moisturized( co-washed and Deep Conditioned hair...i.e when dried hair?)

I do the entire process applying the treatment to freshly clarified hair. I love to cowash in between treatments, alternating between cheapie moisture, protein and clarifying conditioners. I DC after clarifying cowashes.

rachaelp

So many names.
So many brands.
It should have its own thread...no?

Let's make a list of links to the brand's website and ingredients if available. You can post and I will add to the original post so it's easier to get the info.

THE KERATIN TREATMENTS

Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola Contains aldehyde (said to be the "safer", more "organic" form of formaldehyde)

Global Keratin Formaldehyde Free, 2%, and 4%

La-Brasiliana

Lasio

Soft-Liss (Formaldehyde free - contains ethyl alcohol)

OK Original Keratin

Agi Max

Simply Smooth by American Culture (Formaldehyde free - contains vanilla extract/vanillin)

Goleshlee Keratin Hair Therapy (Myspace page)

Rejuvenol - Official Site -
More Information

QOD (QOD Max, QOD Red, QOD Gold)

Inoar "Morrocan Brush/Escova Marroquina"
Ingredients: Glicerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, C.I. 19140, C.I. 16035, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, Keratin, Silica, Fragrance, Water and Formaldeheyde.
Note: This product contains a maximum of 0.2% of Formaldheyde.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- It's not cheap
- Requires a lot of heat for the first application up to 450 degrees of heat to seal the keratin into hair
- Some brands contain formaldehyde
- Some aldehydes have low hazard scores according to the Environmental Working Group
- It's temporary
- It's not a relaxer
- It's not for everybody

Hi! I'm a Coppolla Keratin girl - done once in a salon as a model for a training video, then 4 times myself over the past year and a half. I am due to buy a new bottle of product, but know there are so many options and would love to hear from other experienced users as to what product seems to be easiest to use and has the shortest "wait to wash" time while still working properly.

I know that's a lot to consume and different products may work better on different hair types. For reference, I have long light brown/dark blondish-red hair that's really about 80% gray. It was stick straight when I was young and it was virgin hair, but now at 39, my hair is dyed and is easily frizzed out in humidity or if I don't put the right product in when it's wet.

For post-treatment reference, I use either the L'Oreal Pure smoothing no-sulfate/no sodium chloride shampoo and conditioner, or Hair One from Sally's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Soft-Liss is on my mind... Need to buy very, very soon!

hothair

Has anyone henna'ed and indigo'ed with BKT hair? What were the results?

I intend to do Cassia treatments with this. I think it would help stretch my BKT and thicken my hair, I would do it halfway through my treatment I intend to go back to BKT-ing every 6 weeks.

I don't think there should be a problem. My reggie with heat was helping my retention than recently (last 2-3 months) where I cut down my heat usage to about 1ce every month (as opposed to weekly- I seem to have had some breakage
:ohwell:) so I'll do a flat iron every fortnight now, I think my hair likes heat

me-T

Are any of you ladies using the BKT to transition? If so how many weeks post are you & when do you think you'll BC?
me! me! i'm like 9months post (was 2 months post when i started)
actually idk if i'm transitioning. i feel like if i want my hair straight, what's the point of cutting off the relaxed hair at the bottom?

Hi! I'm a Coppolla Keratin girl - done once in a salon as a model for a training video, then 4 times myself over the past year and a half. I am due to buy a new bottle of product, but know there are so many options and would love to hear from other experienced users as to what product seems to be easiest to use and has the shortest "wait to wash" time while still working properly.

I know that's a lot to consume and different products may work better on different hair types. For reference, I have long light brown/dark blondish-red hair that's really about 80% gray. It was stick straight when I was young and it was virgin hair, but now at 39, my hair is dyed and is easily frizzed out in humidity or if I don't put the right product in when it's wet.

For post-treatment reference, I use either the L'Oreal Pure smoothing no-sulfate/no sodium chloride shampoo and conditioner, or Hair One from Sally's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Soft-Liss is on my mind... Need to buy very, very soon!

softliss is the first one that comes to mind with a no-wait-to-wash time. there's 2 others that i can't think of

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Hi Ladies

I am thinking of upping my BKT's from every 2 -3 months to monthly.

I am a 4a/b and do not BKT to get my hair straight per se but rather just to make it more manageable and thereby avoid knotting and breakage caused by detangling.

I was lucky enough to get a 1000ml BKT/ Shampoo combo from another UK member here for a reasonable price (thanks gLO) and was thinking of upping my treatments to 1x month to do some "light" heat training with my hair. I currently do my own BKT's and flat Iron at about 380 - 400 with either my trusted cheapie hair tools flat iron or my FHI. I also recently BC'd and also use my mini babyliss to get to the shorter hairs. I do not BKT my edges as I am trying to grow these back.

Does anyone think this would be over-kill for type 4 hair? Also if anyone currently engages in this method please let me know how it is going for you?

ETA: After my BKT sessions I usually wash and DC 1-2 a week and braid my hair in large twists and then air dry. I wear a wig as a pc. This means my hair is barely manipulated. I also Henna/ Indigo but I tend to keep the two processes at least 2 weeks apart and have had no issues with it to date.

me-T

if you go up to monthly, you're gonna eventually straighten it. since that's not what you want, i'd say stay on your 2-3 course, letting the treatment wear off some before applying it again.

Vintageglam

^^^ Thanks Me-T I am looking to get a very light texlaxed look a la Long Hair Don't Care but NOT bone straight hence why I thought of upping my treatments to every months.

rachaelp

me! me! i'm like 9months post (was 2 months post when i started)
actually idk if i'm transitioning. i feel like if i want my hair straight, what's the point of cutting off the relaxed hair at the bottom?

softliss is the first one that comes to mind with a no-wait-to-wash time. there's 2 others that i can't think of

THANKS!!! I've been reading through this massive thread for days, it seems... I usually rinse and condition the Coppolla an hour after finishing the full treatment, because I truly believe the waiting for 4 days deal is a scam to get us back in the salon for more treatments (a cut, blow-dry or to buy product...). The Soft-Liss looks great, but does it really not have any aldehyde at all?

MsRR

I still have some QOD gold left from my 1st application on 03/06/10 and want to give BKT another try. Does anyone know if bkt has an expiration date.

MarieB

Last I remember, the popular wisdom was one year after the bottle was first opened, which is impossible to guess on samples, I suppose.

mstar

Luxury bacon
Hi Ladies

I am thinking of upping my BKT's from every 2 -3 months to monthly.

I am a 4a/b and do not BKT to get my hair straight per se but rather just to make it more manageable and thereby avoid knotting and breakage caused by detangling.

I was lucky enough to get a 1000ml BKT/ Shampoo combo from another UK member here for a reasonable price (thanks gLO) and was thinking of upping my treatments to 1x month to do some "light" heat training with my hair. I currently do my own BKT's and flat Iron at about 380 - 400 with either my trusted cheapie hair tools flat iron or my FHI. I also recently BC'd and also use my mini babyliss to get to the shorter hairs. I do not BKT my edges as I am trying to grow these back.

Does anyone think this would be over-kill for type 4 hair? Also if anyone currently engages in this method please let me know how it is going for you?
Just my 2 cents, but BKT is the best thing to ever happen to my edges. The added protection of the keratin treatment has allowed them to finally grow back in, thicker and stronger than before. The hair at my temples grows in very slowly, but I don't see much breakage in that area anymore.

Dove56

Are any of you ladies using the BKT to transition? If so how many weeks post are you & when do you think you'll BC?

Nakialovesshoes,

I am using BKT to transition I am 56 weeks post but I am not going to BC. I actually was(am kinda..lol) growing my hair out to WL but I got about 2 inches cut today and had it thinned out a bit (on purpose to remove bulk). So I'm a little longer than bra strap length. My goal is to be eventually relaxer free with just BKT'd "natural" hair.

MsRR

Just my 2 cents, but BKT is the best thing to ever happen to my edges. The added protection of the keratin treatment has allowed them to finally grow back in, thicker and stronger than before. The hair at my temples grows in very slowly, but I don't see much breakage in that area anymore.
What temp do you flat iron your edges with BKT?

Wildkat08

Hey ladies... anyone still using OCT w/ their BKT? I use OCT according to the directions on the bottle once/twice a week and I love the way it makes my hair feel, but I wonder if my hair is BKT'd if that will be too much protein... or maybe I wont even need OCT anymore? Any experiences or thoughts?

grnidmonster

WildKat08,
I do the same thing. I use OCT in the shower as a CW. The next cw I use a moisturizing condish like aussie. I cw every day or every other day so I just alternate. If I think it amy be too much I'll do a dc but that is rare. I have very fine, thin hair so I would see breakage. So far so good and I have been doing since befor the beginning of the year.

MsRR

WildKat08,
I do the same thing. I use OCT in the shower as a CW. The next cw I use a moisturizing condish like aussie. I cw every day or every other day so I just alternate. If I think it amy be too much I'll do a dc but that is rare. I have very fine, thin hair so I would see breakage. So far so good and I have been doing since befor the beginning of the year.

Have you notice any heat damage with the BKT on your fine, thin hair...I'm asking because my hair is the same and I tried BKT once and I think I notice heat damage around my edges..I'm not sure but I wanted to give it one more try...What temp do you use..

naturalmanenyc

I finally tried the Marcia Teixeira Chocolate BKT. I bought a 4 ounce sample from a BHM member a few weeks ago and had been itching to try it out. I did not want to do this treatment myself so I went to my stylist who had done my first Rejuvenol BKT, Erica Diggs. Check her out http://www.youtube.com/IAmEricaMakeupArtist or [email protected]. Erica is now using Lasio One Day BKT. Lasio smells like bubble gum to me and it is a spray on BKT - $150.

My first BKT was the Lasio One Day treatment and then I had Rejuvenol done for the last 6 treatments and now for treatment #8 I used the Marcia Teixeira Chocolate BKT.

The Marcia T Chocolate is very different from the Lasio spray on treatment and also the Rejuvenol cream based treatment. Like Rejuvenol, Marcia T Chocolate is cream based but Marcia T is much thicker. I can usually do my Rejuvenol BKT with 2 ounces but for the Marcia T we used the entire 4 ounces. In fact, since the Marcia T is used on 100% dry hair, my hair sucked up the treatment. I will also add that for my virgin hair we did use 10 volume developer mixed in the pre-treatment shampoo. The directions recommend 20 volume developer but I was afraid to have my hair turn colors.

I have been wearing my hair out 95% of the time and I had a ton of tangles and single strand knots. The initial blow out was a pain. If I could bring myself to protective style at least 50% of the time, I would probably have less single strand knots and be able to retain more length. I have thin ends, since I do not protect them like I should, but since my hair is curly 95% of the time, I do not trim them off.

The Marcia T is put on with a color brush and it makes the hair somewhat heavy. My hair felt much more coated and sticky with Marcia T than with Rejuvenol. Marcia T felt more sticky to me than Lasio or even Rejuvenol. I felt that I lost more hair during the blowout with the treatment on my hair due to the stickiness of the product. There were also LOTS of fumes. Granted, the treatment smells like chocolate but the fumes did cause my eyes to water. Also, it was much more smokey in the room when we did the blow out than with Lasio or Rejuvenol.

After the blowout, my hair was flat ironed in tiny sections. We used my easy comb (conair version) - http://www.fabove.ca/mm5/images/hairstyling/ez_comb3.jpg
My eyes also watered during the flat iron which is not something that happens with Rejuvenol or Lasio. My hair has lots of movement and it smells like chocolate.

We started around 12:30 p.m. and I was done by about 3:30 p.m.

I expect this treatment to wear off in 2 - 3 months like the last few treatments. If it does last longer, it will likely be due to using the 10 volume developer mixed in with the shampoo.

The first wash out will be the real test of how well this treatment works. Although I do like the chocolate smell, I will not be ordering this Chocolate treatment again. The fumes were far too heavy for me. I did not like the sticky feeling that the treatment gave my hair. I felt that I lost a lot of hair during the blow out due to the product being somewhat sticky. My FHI Runway was also coated with the product. We switched to use Erica's flat iron about half way through so my Runway would not be ruined.

My hair this morning

My hair now

Back shot - I really need to stop wearing my hair out 95% of the time. If I could bring myself to protective style, I would retain more length.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

The plus about this Marcia T chocolate treatment is DH said today that my hair shines and it smells like candy:love5:

Rejuvenol does make my hair look a bit dusty rather than shiny until after the first wash out.

Last edited:

me-T

naturalmane- i too noticed that i couldn't use a lot. my bathroom wasn't all foggy, but i still didn't like having fumes since qod and dream didn't. i can only imagine how bad 4oz worth of fumes are! i never smelled anything chocolate either.
yea, it does leave the hair heavy. i usually have to use some oil after i do the treatment, but with this stuff i went like 2 or 3 days without putting anything on at all.
and get up on those protective styles ma'am!:spank:

rachaelp-lasio one day! didn't know it was a spray on. that sounds kinda cool. i think there's one by ok keratin also... i think

naturalmanenyc

The number of passes definitely makes a difference. My stylist did about 7 passes per section. The directions say up to 10 passes per section.

When I did a Rejuvenol treatment a few months ago, I used only 2 passes. I had to got back over my hair the next day with 2 - 3 additional passes to get my hair to look like my typical BKT. That BKT treatment reverted faster than the others.

1st marcia chocolate impression-not all that. but i think it may be user error.
i purposely used too much-as i always do- but that doesn't seem like a good idea with this brand. my hair is so weighed down and greasy-feeling. my results are actually like a flat iron job on moisturized and sealed hair.

and since i bkt only about 2 weeks ago, i only did 2 passes since i was worried about heat damage. i know that might have an effect on why it's not as straight as my usual qod applications, but with marcy supposedly being the most straightening one, i was let down.

on a good note, i didn't have any reversion this morning at the roots like i do with qod. it actually looked better. still weighed down and greasy though. i gave it another shot of the blow dryer to kinda help with the straightness.

there were fumes, which i never had with either qod or dh. not crazy smoky or anything, but i did have to go get a fan to help push them out of the window.

so yeah, we'll see what happens on the first wash. i've learned what i needed to for the next app.

1st pic-i was getting ready to apply some marcy to this piece, and i was like "eww, look at the difference in thickness!" sometimes i wanna chop that relaxed mess off!
2nd-noticing how straight the roots are with only 1 or 2 layers compared to the rest of my 8 layers-of-bkt hair
3rd-how it came out. can you tell it's not all that smooth? you can kinda see the blow dry results too

Mecca_Goddess

Questions Ladies:

1.Can a henna treatment still be done if you use BKT??

2. I am considering the use of some methods along the ayuvedic lines. Are there any of the usual powdwers/oils that I would need to stay away from since I BKT??

TIA!!!!

Diamond75

Just providing an update.....

History: (1/2010) my 1st BKT was in a salon with the Coppola brand. It seemed to work great on my hair, but considering I just came out of wearing braids for 3 years, anything would seem like magic. I had a lot of dead ends. (2/28/10) I applied the Marcia Tex.(chocolate) myself with a 10% developer. It came out great, my hair didn't loose its curl pattern, but was straight at the root when I wore it straight. I started doing CW every day after about 6 weeks. The MT lasted 3 months and could have lasted longer. (5/24/10) applied QOD Gold at home, the roots that have grown in since the MT BKT didn't smooth out, but with heat, they are fine. I LOVE my curls with the QOD Gold... LOVE them.

I have cut a lot of my hair off, for style and health, it's a little above my sholders, but I have fine 4B (I guess ) hair so I needed some body.

I'm not sure which way I will go with my next BKT. I think using the developer with the MT helped, but I really like my wet curls with QOD. I might switch, do a MT BKT, then 2-3 months later do a QOD Gold, but MT is expensive (for me).

AtlantaJJ

I got my BKT tape today, I'm doing the MT Advance on Friday!! I'm doing color to cover my gray with with a 10% vol. developer which will also help the BKT take. I'm excited!

Mecca_Goddess

I got my BKT tape today, I'm doing the MT Advance on Friday!! I'm doing color to cover my gray with with a 10% vol. developer which will also help the BKT take. I'm excited!

Maybe i missed this somewhere, but what exactly is the developer used for????

ETA:
After going back and doing some research I found out that those who do this use it as a way to enhance the treatment and to enhance te results on "virgin hair"... Am I right on this one?

I think this may be why my results were not exactly what I wanted.....

Last edited: